PDA

View Full Version : Playoff seeding: Tiebreaker related

steelersfan77
12-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I was fooling around with that playoff simulator on the espn website and came across something that seemed strange to me.

Basically I had the steelers, texans, and patriots winning out and with baltimore dropping one at san diego to give the steelers the division. I thought with that scenario it would give us a 2 seed and first round bye with Houston getting the 1 seed based on head to head victories.

But instead it had the patriots as the 1 seed, the texans as the 2nd seed and the steelers as the 3rd seed. The tiebreaker explanation pointed out the the Patriots earned the 1 seed because it had the best AFC conference record and the texans with a 2 seed with a win over the steelers.

Why would the head to head meeting between the Steelers and Patriots be nullified and not have a direct measure on the seedings? Sorry I'm a little confused why the win over the pats has no bearings on the conference seedings.

JCPsteelers
12-12-2011, 08:47 PM
3 team tie takes out head to head if those 3 teams didn't face each other (Pats and Texans never played each other)

It goes to conference record for a 3way tie and the Steelers have 3 AFC losses, the Pats have only 2 (lost to the Giants in their other loss)\

Now if only the Pats and Steelers have a 13-3 tie, the Steelers will be number one seed based on head to head.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:50 PM
^this unfortunately

that's why the Ravens loss sucked badly. After beating the Pats we had one heck of an opportunity and couldn't close the deal

that's why when people are hoping for us to win out and the Ravens to lose, they need to realize that not only do we have to hope for the Ravens to lose one, but for the Texans to lose one as well.

We don't control our destiny in terms of home field.

JCPsteelers
12-12-2011, 08:57 PM
^this unfortunately

that's why the Ravens loss sucked badly. After beating the Pats we had one heck of an opportunity and couldn't close the deal

that's why when people are hoping for us to win out and the Ravens to lose, they need to realize that not only do we have to hope for the Ravens to lose one, but for the Texans to lose one as well.

We don't control our destiny in terms of home field.

bungles choking against a 3rd string QB didn't help either cause the Texans look like they will finish 13-3 now.

The Ravens loss was a joke. Probably costs us a number one seed. Disappointing but there's still some football to play.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Bungles couldn't hang with the big boys this year. You had to believe we would never be so lucky as to have a division opponent help us out with playoff seedings on the line. We typically aren't a team that benefits from other teams losing. That would be the Jets - who are so freaking lucky its unreal. Some how, some way, they are gonna creep in this year yet again - 3 years in a row because the AFC West can never put two teams in the playoffs - EVER lol

JCPsteelers
12-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Houston last 3 games

CAR
at IND
TENN

NE last 3 games
at DEN
MIA
BUF

Doesn't look good for us on getting a bye even if Ravens lose and we win out.

You want to be a 3 seed and play the Jets or a 5 seed playing at Denver? I think the Denver game would be easier (although I'd worry about our OL holding up against DEN pass rush)

skinart82
12-12-2011, 09:14 PM
What if Tebowmania takes down pretty boy Brady? The it's a number two seed right?

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
What if Tebowmania takes down pretty boy Brady? The it's a number two seed right?

only if the ravens lose a game also

Rotorhead
12-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Actually, i hink the broncos match up well against the pats. They do the three needed to stop Brady, rush very well to flush him from the pocket, above avg def backfield and LBs for coverage, and a very good running game. To beat the pats you need to make brady move, jam his pass catchers and keep him off the field. This may be closer than most think and if the broncos are within 2 score going into the fourth quarter it is anyones game.

Rotorhead
12-12-2011, 11:23 PM
It is still possible for the rats to lose and tenn has been playing better so really the last few games can play out many different ways.

StainlessStill
12-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Our best shot at a #1 or #2 seed would be for us to win out (obviously) and for the Texans and Ravens both losing one more. The Patriots we have in a head to head tiebreaker and if we both finish 13-3 with that scenario, we get the AFC's first seed with the Pats locking the second. It can still be done. Not losing hope.

bornaSteelersfan
12-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Here's how we will get #1 seed. Next week, Brady will throw 3 INT's and the Broncos will win 17-14 on the last play of the game. Philip Rivers will throw for over 300 yards and beat up the Ravens 24-17. The last game of the season, The Texans get surprised at home against The Titans who will beat them 28-24 and somehow sneak into the playoffs (causing a rematch the following week with the same 2 teams). The Steelers will win every game in the last quarter and there will be many heart attacks in Pittsburgh before it is all over.

Whodis
12-13-2011, 06:34 AM
The Ravens are so healthy right now! Its pointless to root for injuries in their games. Sucky teams absolutely lay down vs them. Either way the AFC playoff picture looks fun to watch. After watching 20 minutes of ESPN its obvious the Packers are the greatest team to ever play the game and Rodgers is the greatest quarterback to ever throw a ball.

Pentheon
12-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Im betting and hoping the chargers will beat the ravens sunday night, chargers aren;t out of the picture yet (broncos winning really hurt them tho) so hopefully they will play that much harder.

I can see the texans losing to the titans...hope it all works out

steelfury02
12-13-2011, 07:26 AM
now that the Texans have the division out of the way I'm sure they are refocused knowing what is on the line

not saying one thing will happen over the other - just actually think that if Ravens get the #1 seed, they have the best shot at being SB bound (duh right?) They just aren't beatable at home this year and M&T will be electric if they have home field

Then, they'll get absolutely demolished in the SB lol

sorry for being negative - I just want to see our team thrive and send some guys off in style. Don't want to see some players careers end in heartbreak

MDSteel15
12-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Actually it makes them the 3 seed unless Denver finishes ahead of them! Then they are 4th!

Atlanta Dan
12-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I think the Ravens have another loss in them but so do the Steelers

Since I expect Houston (courtesy of the Bengals choke on Sunday) and New England to wind up 13-3 it appears the Steelers will not get a bye even with a 13-3 record

If the Steelers are going on the road anyhow look for a lot of starters sitting on New Years Day at Cleveland as the de facto bye week

Steelersfan87
12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm utterly baffled that the Texans are set up to go 13-3. Admittedly they do have an above average defense, an above average offensive line, and above average running backs, but T.J. Yates? Is he actually as good as it seems, or does he have a loss in him? I certainly hope so.

Atlanta Dan
12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm utterly baffled that the Texans are set up to go 13-3. Admittedly they do have an above average defense, an above average offensive line, and above average running backs, but T.J. Yates? Is he actually as good as it seems, or does he have a loss in him? I certainly hope so.

He was good enough to drive the field on the Bengals in the last 2 minutes and probably good enough to beat the Panthers, Colts, and Titans.

If somehow the Steelers would get the second round in Houston and avoid having to play both Baltimore and New England that would be sweet

Steelersfan87
12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm still holding out hope for Ravens and Texans losses and the Steelers running the table, which would secure the top seed.

Whodis
12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
There is no way Tebow wins in New England!!

If he does I will go to church the rest of the year

stb_steeler
12-13-2011, 06:09 PM
There is no way Tebow wins in New England!!

If he does I will go to church the rest of the year

That would only give you 2 weeks left to go in this year......:rofl: