PDA

View Full Version : Holmes in trouble with the NFL?

83-Steelers-43
06-21-2006, 01:28 PM
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

No. 1 draft pick Santonio Holmes may be in violation of NFL policy as well as the laws of Ohio and Florida, which could impact the outset of his career with the Steelers, including his impending contract negotiations with the team.
Holmes' arrest early Monday morning in Columbus, Ohio, demands a league review, which could result in a disciplinary response under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Such discipline could range from "clinical evaluation" to "suspension."

"It's a zero-tolerance policy," Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich said Tuesday.

According to the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, as it's presented on NFLmedia.com, "engaging in violent and/or criminal activity is unacceptable."

Unsigned rookies such as Holmes are considered covered by the policy once they're drafted.

Under the policy, it is considered conduct detrimental for "covered persons to engage in (or to aid, abet or conspire to engage in or to incite) violent and/or criminal activity. Examples of such prohibited conduct include, without limitation: any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons."

Covered persons charged with prohibited conduct "will be required to undergo a clinical evaluation and, if appropriate, additional counseling or treatment as directed. Failure to comply with evaluation and counseling obligations (including being arrested for or charged with additional criminal activity during the evaluation and counseling period) shall itself be conduct detrimental to the National Football League and shall be punishable by fine or suspension at the discretion of the commissioner."

Covered persons "convicted of or admitting to a criminal violation (including a plea to a lesser included offense; a plea of nolo contendere or no contest; or the acceptance of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement) will be subject to discipline as determined by the commissioner."

Holmes, a former Ohio State wide receiver, was arraigned Monday on charges of domestic violence by assault and assault, both first-degree misdemeanors, as well as an outstanding charge for speeding from a traffic accident on Oct. 18, 2005.

The domestic violence by assault and assault charges are punishable by a maximum of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Holmes pleaded not guilty on all three charges.

Holmes was released on his own recognizance Monday afternoon from the Franklin County (Ohio) jail and reported to the Steelers' South Side practice facility yesterday morning. He was put through his paces on the field by wide receivers coach Bruce Arians, spent some time in the weight room with conditioning coach Chet Fuhrman and met with director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

Holmes did not speak with reporters, but the Steelers issued the following statement from him:

"I understand that being a Pittsburgh Steeler carries along with it the demands for responsible behavior off the field. I want to apologize for the negative attention that my arrest on Monday has brought upon the Pittsburgh Steelers organization, especially in light of my previous arrest in May."

Holmes was arrested for disorderly conduct over the Memorial Day weekend in Miami Beach, a charge a Miami Beach police spokesman dismissed as "nothing."

Holmes has a pre-trial hearing scheduled for July 7 in Ohio and another impending court date July 12 in Florida.

His agent, Joel Segal, declined comment yesterday. Steelers management also declined comment.

Cindrich anticipates that Holmes' troubles with the law will affect his upcoming contract negotiations with the Steelers.

"I don't think there's any question that any clause for protection they can get in there, they'll get in there," Cindrich said. "Almost assuredly, the club is going to force as much of a good conduct policy (into the contract) as possible.

"It's highly unlikely he'll receive a signing bonus in the same manner and fashion as other draft choices (with the majority being paid up front). It'll likely be spread out more (over several years) and contain a few more conditions."

The severity of any discipline handed out by the NFL would depend upon how violent it estimates Holmes to have been, Cindrich said.

Holmes' attorney, Sam Shamansky, wouldn't rule out the Ohio misdemeanor charges being dropped eventually.

"It's always possible," Shamansky said. "There's no sort of protocol on these things. Each case is unique, but as domestic violence charges go, they're all serious."

Cindrich said the league wouldn't necessarily wait for a conviction before administering its penalty.

Calls to the NFL yesterday were not returned.

"It may be a reprimand, may be a warning," Cindrich said. "If it got into a situation where there are just gruesome facts, I would see it happening right away."

SteelerFanInCA
06-21-2006, 01:52 PM
That's pretty crazy if the NFL cracks down on him. They seem to be pretty stern with that "zero tolerance policy", which is good. Hopefully he is really innocent on this one.

Ohio Steeler
06-21-2006, 02:49 PM
That's pretty crazy if the NFL cracks down on him. They seem to be pretty stern with that "zero tolerance policy", which is good. Hopefully he is really innocent on this one.

ok the question I have is if the NFL wants to crack down on him they better look around and do the same to the other players gwtting in trouble doing far worse then what Holmes has done...

Big D
06-21-2006, 02:51 PM
ok the question I have is if the NFL wants to crack down on him they better look around and do the same to the other players gwtting in trouble doing far worse then what Holmes has done...
exactly like sean taylor

Santonio4
06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
good point

Atlanta Dan
06-21-2006, 06:34 PM

With regard to doing "far worse" than our beloved #1 pick, he allegedly opened a can of whup a** on the mother of one of his children on Father's Day! Sounds pretty bad to me.

Other than the fact that the alleged "other players getting in trouble doing far worse" do not play for our Black & Gold heroes, exactly: who is doing something "far worse" than what Holmes allegedly did on Father's Day; what makes it "far worse"; and what is your basis for concluding the NFL is giving those other players a pass?

As someone who has watched the Duke lacrosse team get hung out to dry this past spring I am a big fan of innocent until proven guilty, but c'mon - domestic violence on women is certainly below murder but it is a pretty vile act.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-21-2006, 06:52 PM
The real issue here is..

WTF is Holmes problem. He's a 1st round draft pick, playing for his favorite team, just came off a SB win, playing opposite a perennial pro bowler and SB MVP, with a SB QB to throw him the ball, he's got his whole life ahead of him and here he is screwing it up already !!!

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2006, 06:53 PM
yeah I don't get what the heck he is doing. He better be found Not Guilty.

DIESELMAN
06-21-2006, 06:58 PM
If I was Santonio I'd take whats coming to me from the law, the FO and the NFL. Learn from it and move the hell on and prove to everybody the Steelers didn't make a mistake making him their # 1 pick.....:helmet:

tony hipchest
06-21-2006, 08:10 PM
i hope the nfl cracks down on holmes (along with all players not named chris henry- im sure he'll get a free pass from the nfl and bengals)

but from what we know of homes, i wonder who his agent is. probably a no-name guy whos gonna try and make his name off the steelers. i think holmes will still want $$$ comparable to what matt jones got last year, and i think he is stupid enough to hold out. (hes got a lot of child support to shell out and alot of bling to buy to keep up with his new teamates who got the bling that really means something.)

if hes smart he'll sit down with his agent and take the 1st deal put on the table. but wr's are the primadonnas of the nfl, and he was the 1st 1 taken, and by his recent transgressions we can conclude hes not that bright.

the door is open for w. reid to be the star holmes was expected to be. all willie needs to do is follow wards example like w. parker did jeromes.

Atlanta Dan
06-21-2006, 08:24 PM
The Trib-Review says the agent is Joel Segal.

Segal is responsible for the brilliant representation of Reggie Bush, in which Segal's pre-draft contract demands were so outrageous that Bush lost out on the #1 pick and went to the Saints. The following story (link) describes Segal's representation of Bush.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/20060528-9999-1s28trotter.html

One particular highlight in the story regarding Segal:

Segal, whose background includes a one-year suspension by the players association for funneling cash to a University of Florida athlete, blew the running back's chance at being the first pick in last month's draft by making ridiculous contract demands.

So much for hoping the agent provides a reality check for Holmes.

tony hipchest
06-21-2006, 08:31 PM
So much for hoping the agent provides a reality check for Holmes.

i thought as much. i bet hes got his client convinced hes as much of an impact player as reggie bush despite what he does off the field.

i think holmes believes he did nothing wrong and will expect to be paid like he didnt.

for the sake of the steelers not pissing away 2 1st day picks, im trying to remain optomistic though. after all, we can repeat without holmes or the extra pick it cost to trade up and get him.

Atlanta Dan
06-21-2006, 08:38 PM
In hindsight, this year's draft (burning draft picks to trade up for no sure thing at WR/drafting a #1 who does not seem to be particularly disciplined/drafting 2 WRs with high picks) appears more and more to have been designed solely to fill needs for a potential repeat this year and screw whatever comes after that, a startegy that makes sense if Cowher really is bolting after 2006.

tony hipchest
06-21-2006, 09:10 PM
In hindsight, this year's draft (burning draft picks to trade up for no sure thing at WR/drafting a #1 who does not seem to be particularly disciplined/drafting 2 WRs with high picks) appears more and more to have been designed solely to fill needs for a potential repeat this year and screw whatever comes after that, a startegy that makes sense if Cowher really is bolting after 2006. i do think the steelers were looking longterm with this draft. i wish i knew more about reid or how he is doing cause i think he will be great value for a 3rd rounder in the long run. i was high on j. allen being a steeler cause he could provide insurance if i. taylor leaves. i wanted white because i think he will be a star who's career surpasses d. staleys, but i think we got a star in parker already.

holmes talent alone seems to make him as a good pick but many prognosticators think there were really no 1st round grade wr's this year.

to trade up, for a reach as it was, and a character problem, leaves a sour taste. even if we do sign him on the cheap, the second he starts producing (if he does) he will be holding out for more $$$