PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin press conference

mesaSteeler
12-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Mike Tomlin press conference
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/mike-tomlin-press-conference/article_bc9736b6-25c5-11e1-9a41-0019bb30f31a.html
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:57 pm

Excerpts of the Mike Tomlin press conference:

Re: injury update

"I will talk about some injuries. Chris Carter can be characterized as questionable with his hamstring strain. The same thing can be said for Troy Polamalu. We will see where the week takes us in terms of his participation with his hamstring. Maurkice Pouncey and Ben Roethlisberger are both dealing with ankle sprains. They've worked tirelessly into getting themselves back into playing shape. We will see where the week takes us. I think you need to characterize their availability as questionable at this point. We are optimistic about Emmanuel Sanders' availability but we will let the week guide us. Ziggy Hood, who experienced a right groin strain in the game, appears to be recovering nicely. We expect him to participate. The same can be said with LaMarr Woodley. Under the circumstances with James Harrison (who's been suspended by the NFL for one game) it would benefit us to have LaMarr Woodley."

If LaMarr Woodley is available, will you move Lawrence Timmons to outside in James Harrison's spot?

"Jason Worilds is in the equation. This guy has played quality football for us. Obviously, Timmons is capable. Those are some of the things that we are going to sort through as we meet as a staff this afternoon. Obviously, some of the candidates that you mentioned are definitely in play."

How valuable is it for Charlie Batch to get the early process of the week?

"Yeah, but not only Charlie. Dennis Dixon, obviously (too). If we are going into this game with Ben less than 100%, three quarterbacks are a potential option. So we will get all of our quarterbacks ready so we are ready regardless of the circumstance Monday night."

Will Ben practice this week?

"If he is going to play, he is going to practice in some form or fashion. I think that's appropriate. That is just my approach to this. As we get closer to the weekend, as we deal with situational football, red zones, short yardage, goal line, third down, and so on, I believe that everyone who is going to be a participant needs physical reps at those. Obviously, we are afforded an extra day this week. Being that the game is on Monday night. So we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now we are just trying to get him as healthy as we can on a day-to-day basis."

Is Ben's ankle just painful or could he make it worse?

"We will deal with it on a day-to-day basis. It is painful today, but we are not asking him to do anything today. So we will see where the week takes us."

Does anything else go into the decision to play Ben?

"If he is healthy enough to play, he will play. I don't play that game."

You just met in the New York with the commissioner recently after Ryan Clark's fine. So how disappointing is the James Harrison suspension?

"My emotions are irrelevant. I am just kind of dealing with this the best I know. It was a good meeting that we had with the commissioner in New York. But it is really kind of a separate incident. This is something that has come up since then, and they dealt with it as they see fit and of course we are in the process of responding to it in a necessary manner."

How is James taking it?

"I just spoke with him briefly. I guess he is better suited to answer that than I am."

He didn't threaten to retire, did he?

"He is an emotional guy, and rightfully so. This is a guy that loves to play football, and that is being taken away from him for a week. I am sure there is some discomfort that comes with that."

Does this affect how he and other defenders will play?

"I am not ready to paint with that kind of brush at this juncture. I will acknowledge that he is not playing this week, the rest of us are, and we have a job to do."

Re: Why Chris Kemoeatu is getting so many penalties:

"He is playing illegally, so he is getting penalized."

He has had a lot of penalties. How do you stop that?

"He either has to change his technique, or improve his technique, or he won't get the opportunity to."

If Pouncey can't play, will Trai Essex go to left guard (instead of Kemoeatu?

"That's to be determined. Those are some of things that we are hashing thru today, given that the game is Monday, six days away."

tanda10506
12-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds like Ben and Pouncey will play, but no garuantees. So it's possible that we could be missing: Polamalu, Woodley, Ben, Pouncey, Carter(which is a huge loss if Woodley doesn't play), and Harrison? Absolutely unbelievable, we have more pro bowl caliber players injured then most teams even have. I know these guys are in great shape, but our their hamstrings made out of cheap twine? Good grief: Woodley, Worilds, Carter, and Polamalu all have had hamstring injuries. Every time I look at this forum today, our odds if winning get smaller. Worilds is playing well but we at least need Woodley or Harrison in, Harrison can't play, so a lot is riding on Woodley playing a large amount of the game and playing very well.