PDA

View Full Version : SI Speaks :)

Lyn
06-21-2006, 08:04 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/06/21/playoffs/index.html

We can get a pretty good read about the Steelers in July.
At least attitude-wise. This summer should be no different. If we're talking
about schemes and roles and training camp competition, all will be fine. If
we're talking about all kinds of other stuff, we could be in trouble.

Even Cowhers detractors cite his ability to get the team to focus on the task
at hand is one of his strengths. This summer might be the biggest test yet, as
the article mentions, losing Bettis, Kimo creates the need for new leaders to
step up. Losing Hope is losing the secondary's play-caller.

While none of this is insurmountable, take note of how no one is talking about
the Colts or Pats, or Chargers.

Focus in camp has proven to be a big deal for the Steelers. We'll know soon
if we have it or not. I just hope once camp opens the stuff we're hearing out of
Latrobe is about things like McFadden pushing Townsend aside or Keisel showing
his skills, etc.

tony hipchest
06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
how often have we heard of leader as the leader of the clubhouse. not to diminish what he meant to the team, but i always knew him as the guy who sewed and tailored everybodys jerseys. these writers make too much out of nothing. we heard tha exact same stuff last year when plex left.

granted, plex, ross, vincent, and bell had virtually no leadership responsibilities like el, hope, kimo, or jerome. but the steelers will not drop off much because of their departure.

WWIIOwheelz
06-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Joey Porter is the leader of the defense, and he bleeds into the secondary. Troy is still there, and he's the BEST safety in the league. He will make the drafted guy a fantastic safety in a short time, I'll bet.

The Steelers won't be lacking on the defensive side of the ball.

SteelerFanInCA
06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
If Ben can come back healthy, I think we can be just as solid on the offensive side of the line. We still have a lot of weapons on "O".

Our O line has been playing together for a few years now. I am hoping they pick up where they left off last year.

Petesburgh66
06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Clark called the plays in Washington. Losing Hope isn't a huge blow as many of the non-Steeler experts want you to believe.

Other guys are ready to step up to the plate in leadership roles.

SteelerFanInCA
06-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Clark called the plays in Washington. Losing Hope isn't a huge blow as many of the non-Steeler experts want you to believe.

Other guys are ready to step up to the plate in leadership roles.
Agreed. I definitely think we have plenty of guys ready to step up and take over new roles.

Haiku_Dirtt
06-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Joey Porter is the leader of the defense, and he bleeds into the secondary. Troy is still there, and he's the BEST safety in the league. He will make the drafted guy a fantastic safety in a short time, I'll bet.

The Steelers won't be lacking on the defensive side of the ball.

Yeah. You need on-field leadership. But on defense the leader is Dick LeBeau.

What other man on the planet can get a locker room full of overpaid pampered athletes to sit and listen to "Twas the Night Before Christmas" and honestly be emotionally "moved" by it.

Only one comes to mind. :salute:

chickforps
06-23-2006, 08:22 PM
What do they know. They said the right side of the line was going to be our down fall in 2005. Outsiders just do not understand the steelers. They write these article and never address the replacements... I will never understand how a good editor would let that crab be published.

We filled the voids, on paper maybe not as good, but I am betting we have better running game this year, more offensive balance and a top 5 defense. SUPER BOWL BABY

Samantha

83-Steelers-43
06-23-2006, 08:44 PM
With the exception of Jerome's leadership, I really don't see us taking a big hit in this offseason.

With Randle El, they fail to realize that he was a solid but replacable WR and the fact that we have another WR on this team that is capable of throwing the rock and also who I feel will be a great return man in Reid. Remember, the sky was falling when Plaxico left? We all saw how that worked out.

With Kimo (who in my opinion was losing a step) we got "The Deisel".

With Hope (which has been discussed on a few occasions on here) is definately replacable in my opinion. Solid FS? Sure, although his tackling ability was shady to say the least. Clark will be just as good if not better than Chris Hope only for cheaper.

Let SI speculate. That's what they get paid to do. I rarely put much stock into what they have to write about.

nicesteel4life
06-23-2006, 11:55 PM
With the exception of Jerome's leadership, I really don't see us taking a big hit in this offseason.

With Randle El, they fail to realize that he was a solid but replacable WR and the fact that we have another WR on this team that is capable of throwing the rock and also who I feel will be a great return man in Reid. Remember, the sky was falling when Plaxico left? We all saw how that worked out.

With Kimo (who in my opinion was losing a step) we got "The Deisel".

With Hope (which has been discussed on a few occasions on here) is definately replacable in my opinion. Solid FS? Sure, although his tackling ability was shady to say the least. Clark will be just as good if not better than Chris Hope only for cheaper.

Let SI speculate. That's what they get paid to do. I rarely put much stock into what they have to write about.
TRUE, TRUE SO VERY TRUE
We are actually a better team
Kimo lost more than a step, El was a 3rd reciever, Hope just wishes we kept him
Gonna Miss the Bus.....But we got youth.

Santonio4
06-24-2006, 12:09 AM
We will be fine even though we lost some veterans. Bettis took Willie and Ben under his wing and showed them how to lead a team to victory.

clevestinks
06-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Damn it makes me sick to read IF Ben comes back healthy! Just a month ago we were saying how great an off season it has been, our only descent loss was EL, with the exception of the BUS. We lost no asst. coaches which is amazing here. Then all HE!! breaks lose, Holmes two arrests, Porter needs surgery, and Ben goes helmets less! Lets get it together guys, way to much to lose here!

SteelCzar76
06-24-2006, 01:48 PM
I think with the exception of Ben tryin to get his "Stunt Man" on,....our offseason issues are being blown out of proportion. Peezy's surgery was a minor proactive procedure. Santonio just needs to FOCUS ON FOOTBALL,...which i think the team has made VERY clear to him during the sit down. Keisel will give us an added dimension with our pass rush even though he may not be as strong against the run as Kimo was. Hope could hit,...but let's be honest,...he was never more than a caretaker free safety anyway. I like Antwann and will miss him as a steeler and return man but,...he was never very productve from a pure recieving standpoint. And i'll go on record as sayin Holmes will be far greater weapon for Ben. We'll all miss Bussy,.. he did his duty and is one of the greatest Steelers of all time. But i think we have more than enough vets (along with staff) to pick up where his leadership left off.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"