PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Hayward

Grav
12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
How has this guy played so far this year?

ricardisimo
12-14-2011, 11:27 AM
How has this guy played so far this year?
You tell me. He has a sack, a forced fumble and 8 tackles (7 solo) in very limited playing time.

Fire Arians
12-14-2011, 11:29 AM
future looks bright for the kid.

tburhans
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
He also blocked the field goal against cincy. They announced it as a block by gay but I was at the game and it was heyward who blocked it

steelfury02
12-14-2011, 12:02 PM
as stated - in limited time he is playing "above the line" as Tomlin would put it

future looks bright

Whodis
12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for changing a topic!! Great to see a young defensive lineman shining like that.

Anyone want to elaborate on Ziggy Hood. He was drafted to fill in for Big Snack and seems to be a DE? Anyone know if thats still the plan or is he going to take over for the great A Smith?

DanRooney
12-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Awesome.

ricardisimo
12-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for changing a topic!! Great to see a young defensive lineman shining like that.

Anyone want to elaborate on Ziggy Hood. He was drafted to fill in for Big Snack and seems to be a DE? Anyone know if thats still the plan or is he going to take over for the great A Smith?
Where did you hear that? He can play NT, but he was drafted to replace Smith, and he has.

StainlessStill
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
You tell me. He has a sack, a forced fumble and 8 tackles (7 solo) in very limited playing time.

Also a blocked FG against Cincy that got our route started. Dude is an animal. I always watch him in goalline packages. Dude is going to be a true Steeler. You can just tell.

tony hipchest
12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
as stated - in limited time he is playing "above the line" as Tomlin would put it

future looks brightactually tomlin said that about jason worilds.

as for our 1st round rookie, he is playing just OK, and with the exception of a great special teams blocked FG has done very little to separate himself from UDFA steve mcclendon, who is not only stealing snaps away from cam at LDE back up, but is also the primary back up for casey hampton as well (position flexibility).

superlatives such as "awesome" should be reserved for the likes of aldon smith and jj watt, despite how many OSU homers think cam was the best and most nfl ready DE to enter the draft in years.

if cam can make the leap that jason worilds did in his 2nd year and be a solid back-up capable of playing every down if needed i will be more than happy.

Steelersfan87
12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Heyward has seen 150 snaps so far this year, according to data from Steelers Depot. Steve McLendon has seen 135 snaps, 32 of which were at Ziggy Hood's spot, anad 15 of which came in the last game when Hood was injured. About half of the rest of those snaps were in nickel and dime defenses with Hood/Keisel/Hoke/Smith resting. McLendon also started a game. McLendon is in his third year, and he also plays on the right side. He's not the "LDE backup", he's Keisel's backup. 150 snaps is not a lot to distinguish oneself on, but then the 3-4 defensive line in the Steeler system has never been a 'distinguished' position in terms of being noticed. linemen in the Steelers system are more often noticed when they screw up then when they're doing their job. Due to playing time discrepancies, it's unfair to even invoke the names of rookie starters like Smith and Watt. If the Steelers didn't have Keisel, he probably would be starting.

That's the long way of saying that "awesome" in relation to Heyward's play is relative to his playing time and expectations, in addition to his potential, it's not "wow he has 8 sacks and 3 forced fumbles".

DanRooney
12-14-2011, 09:33 PM
actually tomlin said that about jason worilds.

as for our 1st round rookie, he is playing just OK, and with the exception of a great special teams blocked FG has done very little to separate himself from UDFA steve mcclendon, who is not only stealing snaps away from cam at LDE back up, but is also the primary back up for casey hampton as well (position flexibility).

superlatives such as "awesome" should be reserved for the likes of aldon smith and jj watt, despite how many OSU homers think cam was the best and most nfl ready DE to enter the draft in years.

if cam can make the leap that jason worilds did in his 2nd year and be a solid back-up capable of playing every down if needed i will be more than happy.

Cool story bro but Heyward primarily plays RDE. McClendon wasn't stealing the spot from Heyward.

Him not separating himself from a guy who doesn't play his position is a an funny statement, but it's a testament to how good McClendon has been (and how Hampton isn't as dominant as he use to be). Heyward will be a stud and he's playing behind a stud so there won't be any need to worry about the right side of our line for years.

tanda10506
12-14-2011, 10:05 PM
The whole Dline seems to be set with Heyward, Hood, and McClendon. I think McClendon will clog up the middle really well as time goes on.

Steelersfan87
12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Just to clarify, his name is McLENDON, not McCLENDON. Only 1 C.

tony hipchest
12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
so dodens grav says mclendon is "not the LDE backup" while ubergenius danrooney *snicker* says heyward" primarily plays RDE".

maybe theres a log jam at one side, while the other is ripe for the picking? :tap: or maybe one of you is just wrong? thats neither here nor there...

i'll let you guys settle that amongst yourselves as the game isnt played on paper and i dont give a shit about what the "depth charts" say. (is bryant mcfadden still listed as starting CB or did they finally get around to changing that?)Heyward has seen 150 snaps so far this year, according to data from Steelers Depot. Steve McLendon has seen 135 snaps, 32 of which were at Ziggy Hood's spot, anad 15 of which came in the last game when Hood was injured. About half of the rest of those snaps were in nickel and dime defenses with Hood/Keisel/Hoke/Smith resting. McLendon also started a game. McLendon is in his third year, and he also plays on the right side. He's not the "LDE backup", he's Keisel's backup.im not sure who you are quoting with the portion in bold, but i will assume the misquote is directed at me. :noidea:

i did correctly point out that with hoke officially done for the season that steve mclendon is hamptons back up. TRUE (again, this has been the case for a while now).

i did correctly point out mclendons position flexibility. TRUE. (been taking snaps at all positions along the line all year)

i did correctly point out that mclendon "stole" snaps from cam heyward at LDE vs the browns, in the most recent sample we have examples to pull from. TRUE.

im not getting to get into a petty semantics game. whether he stole, shared, inherited, absorbed, got, took, or earned the extra snaps, the fact of the matter remains that mclendon played 18 snaps in his last game (15 of which were played at LDE in place of hood/heyward). heyward played 28 snaps at the same position. of the available snaps at the position when hood wend down, mclendon played roughly 33% of them.

keisel played 64 of the entire 69 defensive snaps in last weeks game. i'll give you one guess as who played his position the 5 snaps he was out (hint: it wasnt mclendon who was at LDE). thats right! it was cam.

word out of the facility going into last weeks game was that mclendon has been impressing while cam was falling a bit short of expectations. naturally i watched and researched, and the way the snaps were divied up, seems to be bearing that out.

almost everything is an evolution in progress in the NFL.

i wouldnt expect the steelers to make any quick, knee-jerk reactions, or etch anything into stone (such as who is hood's PERMANENT back up)but i always expect them to tinker with the line-up and try to get the best available players on the field and get the best out of them at all times (notice we havent seen timmons on the outside since worilds has been healthy?- we wont see it monday if woodley returns).

Cool story bro but Heyward primarily plays RDE. McClendon wasn't stealing the spot from Heyward.

Him not separating himself from a guy who doesn't play his position is a an funny statement, but it's a testament to how good McClendon has been (and how Hampton isn't as dominant as he use to be). Heyward will be a stud and he's playing behind a stud so there won't be any need to worry about the right side of our line for years."story"?

awww... poor guy! need a tissue bro? you seem a little sensitive tonight. i hear that can happen being wrong ALL the time.

learn the difference between "spot" and "snaps" and then try to figure out this mystery position cam plays that mclendon hasnt.

if your boy has been as "awesome" as you say, then he better damn well be able to hold down the fort on either side, and not rely on a smaller, less talented, 3rd year UDFA to help carry his weight.

those who really matter, agree.

Steelersfan87
12-15-2011, 01:27 AM
First of all, you did directly say "LDE back up". Secondly, McLendon is now the de facto backup at LDE because of Hoke and Smith being gone and the team not having the confidence to activate Al Woods or promote Corbin Bryant from the practice squad again. This is because they have only 5 defensive linemen active on gameday, McLendon and Heyward being the two that don't start. If Heyward is the backup at RDE, then McLendon would...yes...he would have to be the backup at LDE. And let's not bullshit here, every DL on the active roster outside of Hampton is position flexible. They all have seen snaps this season at both DE and DT, including Heyward in goal line situations. I'm also utterly convinced that you completely pulled directly out of your ass the idea that Heyward is even remotely falling short of expectations. Word out of the facility? You're going to have to actually back up your claim with a source on that one. The closest thing that even occurs to me would be a reporter asking Tomlin a question to that effect in response to Heyward receiving limited snaps in recent weeks, which Tomlin categorically denied. So instead of thinking that McLendon "stole" snaps from Heyward, you should be thinking of it as the other way around, seeing as McLendon is the one that lines up on the left side when he plays DE (as he did in backup nickel packages opposite Hoke earlier in the season). Heyward was the one that came in when Hood went down, even though the right side is his spot. Heyward played twice as many spots at LDE even though he's primarily a RDE and McLendon, when he plays DE, plays on the left. I also shouldn't have to remind you that the Steelers rarely play rookies unless out of necessity, and the fact that Heyward has seen as much time as he has is actually a testament to both how well he's doing and how well the organization thinks he's doing.

Don't even bother responding until you have a citation for your claim that "word out of the facility" is that Heyward is below expectations, since "those who really matter" agree. Otherwise, your response will be irrelevant.

tony hipchest
12-15-2011, 01:42 AM
it was aquote from one of the beat writers. i'll let you search wexell, bouchette, dulac, brown, kaboly, etc, and let you derive from the snaps taken, what you will.

in the meantime, dont bother misquoting me again.

get it straight... dont cherry pick. i DIRECTLY said cam at LDE back up which clearly implies cam was primary backup for hood in last weeks game.

thanks. much appreciated. :cheers:

theres no shame in a rookie hitting the rookie wall. keep on feeling he is playing "awesome" if that helps you feel better. :noidea:

i beg to differ, and i did. i wont back down from that stance. im not here to wax poetic about a rookie player from my favorite college team.

if some fans had their way, cam and thaddeus gibson would be starters, tomlin fired for tressel, and terrelle pryor would be starting in favor of big ben this monday.

now THAT would be "awesome". lol

Steelersfan87
12-15-2011, 01:59 AM
I couldn't physically give less of a shit about college football, so colleges of players are irrelevant to me. And if we're actually going to waste time on semantic crap, let's use the entire phrase in which you said "LDE back up".

"[Heyward] has done very little to separate himself from UDFA steve mcclendon, who is not only stealing snaps away from cam at LDE back up".

You don't clearly say that Heyward is the LDE back up. You merely reference the position of the back up LDE. In reality, barring injury, McLendon is the LDE back up, meaning he comes in to spell Hood. The fact that Heyward came in to replace Hood and McLendon occasionally spelled him speaks volumes. It means that if Hood were to go down, that they would start Heyward at LDE. So, in the sense that "back up" means who goes in when the guy in front of him goes down, Heyward is actually the primary back up at both DE positions. What else is there to derive about the fact that Heyward moved over the LDE after seeing snaps at RDE when Hood went down and played twice as many snaps as McLendon there?

You're free to have any observations that you want in terms of how well you think a player is performing, but when you start making things up, I'm going to call you out on it and ask for some evidence. It's rather bullshit to expect me to search for the evidence to support your own argument, and I'm just going to hope that you understand why. I read the G-Z, Tribune, and Dale Lolley's blog every day, and I've never read of any hint of disappointment about Heyward. I did read that he had been wearing a protective wrap on his arm in recent weeks, however. If you expect me to accept that there is a suggestion of a letdown in Heyward's performance by the organization then you have to give some god damn evidence to back up the claim. Period. If you can't, or won't, then your claim is meaningless, especially since I read all of the sources that you name daily.

Whodis
12-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Where did you hear that? He can play NT, but he was drafted to replace Smith, and he has.

I was under the impression that he would play DT because of being one in college and he was being compared to Hampton. Not because of position, but the fact he was drafted so high (like Hampton). Im told he's a little small for a 3-4 DT.

sharkweek
12-15-2011, 08:28 AM
lot of bunched up panties over the DL

el oh el

steelfury02
12-15-2011, 08:33 AM
ugh whatever I'm impressed with his short body of work thus far and he has a lot of potential

tony hipchest
12-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I couldn't physically give less of a shit about college football, so colleges of players are irrelevant to me. And if we're actually going to waste time on semantic crap, let's use the entire phrase in which you said "LDE back up".

"[Heyward] has done very little to separate himself from UDFA steve mcclendon, who is not only stealing snaps away from cam at LDE back up".

You don't clearly say that Heyward is the LDE back up. You merely reference the position of the back up LDE. In reality, barring injury, McLendon is the LDE back up, meaning he comes in to spell Hood. The fact that Heyward came in to replace Hood and McLendon occasionally spelled him speaks volumes. It means that if Hood were to go down, that they would start Heyward at LDE. So, in the sense that "back up" means who goes in when the guy in front of him goes down, Heyward is actually the primary back up at both DE positions. What else is there to derive about the fact that Heyward moved over the LDE after seeing snaps at RDE when Hood went down and played twice as many snaps as McLendon there?

You're free to have any observations that you want in terms of how well you think a player is performing, but when you start making things up, I'm going to call you out on it and ask for some evidence. It's rather bullshit to expect me to search for the evidence to support your own argument, and I'm just going to hope that you understand why. I read the G-Z, Tribune, and Dale Lolley's blog every day, and I've never read of any hint of disappointment about Heyward. I did read that he had been wearing a protective wrap on his arm in recent weeks, however. If you expect me to accept that there is a suggestion of a letdown in Heyward's performance by the organization then you have to give some god damn evidence to back up the claim. Period. If you can't, or won't, then your claim is meaningless, especially since I read all of the sources that you name daily.who's making things up? Perhaps you arent reading enough...

@MarkKaboly_Trib Mark Kaboly @Steelers_Fever -- Any insight in the bldg as to the progress of Mclendon vs. Heyward at this point -- McLendon is better right now .19 minutes ago via web
:coffee:

now maybe you can go demand a reporter/insider to give you some "god damn evidence" to back up his claim.

or maybe you will just have better luck nitpicking semantics and correcting peoples spelling of mcclendon :jerkit:

DanRooney
12-15-2011, 10:19 AM
lot of bunched up panties over the DL

el oh el

Yeah McLendon is primarily the NT. The only real time I saw him playing at end was Thursday. I'm guessing it's because he's more familiar with that side being a 2nd year player but Heyward still got reps there. McLendon has been rock solid this year. That's why I don't think we need to draft a NT in the immediate future, especially in the high rounds. Heyward will eventually take over Keisel's spot but with the way the beard has been playing, it's going to be a long time from now. Keisel might be the best player on our defense this year.

And no hipchest, I'm not an OSU homer :flap: Heyward will be a stud.

queeg
12-15-2011, 10:37 AM
who's making things up? Perhaps you arent reading enough...

now maybe you can go demand a reporter/insider to give you some "god damn evidence" to back up his claim.

or maybe you will just have better luck nitpicking semantics and correcting peoples spelling of mcclendon :jerkit:

It would nice to give us an apology for unwarranted cursing your crestor!

Steelersfan87
12-15-2011, 10:57 AM
who's making things up? Perhaps you arent reading enough...

Do you really thing I'm that stupid? Somebody, probably you, obviously just posed that question to Kaboly after this discussion, so you obviously were not basing your argument on a comment that did not exist before you made that argument. I mean, come on, SERIOUSLY. Kaboly's comment was posted AN HOUR AGO. How can I have possibly read his comment LAST NIGHT? It's also irrelevent as to whether or not somebody thinks McLendon is ahead of Heyward right now. Heyward is a rookie who had no offseason, whereas McLendon is in his third year with the team. He should be playing faster and reacting more than thinking. Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason started over Hood his rookie year. The discussion was "how has Heyward played so far", not "what does Mark Kaboly think the team thinks about who is ahead between Heyward and McLendon". Nice try though, I got a chuckle out of it. What you suggested is that there is a sentiment from the team that Heyward is below expectations, and you still haven't provided any evidence whatsoever to that effect. And for what it's worth, I trust Bouchette and the Post-Gazette a lot more than I do the Tribune when it comes to "team sources", and frankly I'd be much more interested to know what they think with regards to "word out of the facility" about Heyward. The only thing I've read from P-G is simply a surprise that Heyward had been receiving few snaps, and Tomlin's response to that question was that the Steelers were playing a lot of nickel packages and that Hood and Keisel were doing their jobs for long stretches in those packages, so it was more a statement of how well they were playing than how disappointing Heyward was. And then I read about him wearing a protective wrap on his arm, but nobody ever asked Tomlin whether that had any impact on his potential playing time.

So as it still stands now, you made up some crap about the team believing Heyward has been playing below expectations, and I'm still waiting for you to support that claim.

tony hipchest
12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
It would nice to give us an apology for unwarranted cursing your crestor!take it up with the source of the "QUOTE". :coffee:

jimwexell James C Wexell
@ @Steelers_Fever "Any insight as to the progress of Mclendon vs. Heyward?" -- McLendon will start at LDE if Hood can't. Stevie Mac a baller.

neal coolong who offers good analysis and breakdowns for behindthesteelcurtain.com feels both have done very well in spot duty this year (which again, is showing nothing of the rookie separating himself from back up competition).

Thats not an indictment on cameron as much as it is testament to how well mclendon has been playing and impressing the staff. they are EXPANDING his role. a few weeks ago, tomlin was answering to the media why heywards role was being REDUCED.

it is what it is.

The starter of this thread asked how cameron was playing so far, THIS YEAR. many offered hyperbole and projections of what a beast he will be in the future.

im sure we all can agree that he has potential and upside. in the meantime, i'll stick to my "meaningless" opinion. :chuckle:

Bayz101
12-15-2011, 11:12 AM
take it up with the source of the "QUOTE". :coffee:

neal coolong who offers good analysis and breakdowns for behindthesteelcurtain.com feels both have done very well in spot duty this year (which again, is showing nothing of the rookie separating himself from back up competition).

Thats not an indictment on cameron as much as it is testament to how well mclendon has been playing and impressing the staff. they are EXPANDING his role. a few weeks ago, tomlin was answering to the media why heywards role was being REDUCED.

it is what it is.

The starter of this thread asked how cameron was playing so far, THIS YEAR. many offered hyperbole and projections of what a beast he will be in the future.

im sure we all can agree that he has potential and upside. in the meantime, i'll stick to my "meaningless" opinion. :chuckle:

Tony you 'bussin caps again? :chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Do you really thing I'm that stupid? .

It's think not "thing". :sofunny:

i dont need to sift through dozens of blogs and articles and radio interviews to prove to you what i've already read or heard over 2 weeks ago, when i can go straight to the horses mouth and get the proof you demand within seconds.

get with the program.

im right, you're wrong. get over it.

DanRooney
12-15-2011, 11:16 AM
:popcorn:

Steelersfan87
12-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Actually, when you make a claim that is supposedly based on something else, you DO have to prove it. And correcting a typo that I made like that was pretty weak, and completely different from repeatedly getting a player's name wrong. You said outright that you heard that Heyward is playing below the expectations of the team. Since you already heard that, you obviously had a source, so why can't you dig up the source? And Heyward is a back up, so why should he be blowing other back ups out of the water? Just because he's a first round pick? Heyward's play, given the EXPECTATIONS of his first year, HAS been somewhat "awesome", meeting "meaning or exceeding expectations".

ricardisimo
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, Tony. And be sure to ask your doctor if Crestor (http://www.crestor.com/c/home.aspx?source=CRT1577&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&umedium=cpc&uadpub=google&utm_campaign=B_CRESTOR_General/Info/News&ucampaign=B_CRESTOR_General/Info/News&utm_content=General/Info&ucreative=General/Info&utm_term=crestor&pkw=crestor) is right for you.

CRESTOR® (rosuvastatin calcium) may cause side effects in some people. The most common side effects reported are

Headache
Muscle pain
Abdominal pain
Weakness
Nausea

Serious side effects may include
Muscle Problems. Call your doctor right away if you experience unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially with fever. This may be an early sign of a rare muscle problem that could lead to serious kidney problems. The risk of muscle problems is greater in people who are 65 years of age or older, or who already have thyroid or kidney problems. The chance of muscle problems may be increased if you are taking certain other medicines with CRESTOR.
Liver Problems. Your doctor should do blood tests before you start taking CRESTOR and during treatment to check for signs of possible liver problems.

Fire Arians
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM

you shouldn't curse crestor, it can lower high cholesterol!

DanRooney
12-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Actually, when you make a claim that is supposedly based on something else, you DO have to prove it. And correcting a typo that I made like that was pretty weak, and completely different from repeatedly getting a player's name wrong. You said outright that you heard that Heyward is playing below the expectations of the team. Since you already heard that, you obviously had a source, so why can't you dig up the source? And Heyward is a back up, so why should he be blowing other back ups out of the water? Just because he's a first round pick? Heyward's play, given the EXPECTATIONS of his first year, HAS been somewhat "awesome", meaning "meaning or exceeding expectations".

To be fair, the title of this thread is Cameron Hayward

Steeldude
12-15-2011, 01:33 PM

hood was drafted to play DE, not NT. he has already taken over for smith

Steelersfan87
12-15-2011, 07:10 PM
To be fair, the title of this thread is Cameron Hayward

:toofunny: That may be true, but when I corrected the McLendon spelling, I was actually only trying to be helpful because it seems like more websites get this wrong than they do right. I was even spelling it wrong. I wasn't trying to make anybody seem stupid or anything.

3rdandlong
12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey ward has had very limited playing time this season. The few times I've seen him in he is usually making a play or disrupting the play. Looks like we got another good one. Props to Kevin Colbert and the front office once again

Havik
12-17-2011, 05:55 PM
I think he's done a good job, yes I'm an OSU homer but I see a lot of potential. I really think Heyward is a steal. I'm always a big fan of upgrading the d-line.

Bayz101
12-17-2011, 07:11 PM
I think he's done a good job, yes I'm an OSU homer but I see a lot of potential. I really think Heyward is a steal. I'm always a big fan of upgrading the d-line.

*Point's to my location*

O-H!

queeg
12-18-2011, 12:23 AM
you shouldn't curse crestor, it can lower high cholesterol!

CREATOR

Bayz101
12-18-2011, 12:49 AM
CREATOR

Creator? I believe AstraZeneca creates and distributes Crestor.

:rofl:

ricardisimo
12-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Creator? I believe AstraZeneca creates and distributes Crestor.

:rofl:
What a regrettable post. :nono:

Buddha Bus
12-18-2011, 07:13 AM
I believe "Crestor" was the lead villain in a movie called "Crestor Conquers the Earth" which I saw on Mystery Science Theater 3000 once. It would be a bad thing to curse him as he has a death ray that can incinerate a human body instantly. I wouldn't f*ck with that guy at all! :nono:

I can't show you confirmation of this as I have no source but my memory.

Of course, maybe I was just high at the time and I'm waaaaaaaaay off.

You goddamned rednevks need to chill the f*ck out with your regrettable cursing of fictional characters or you will suffer the consequences! :evil:

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I believe "Crestor" was the lead villain in a movie called "Crestor Conquers the Earth" which I saw on Mystery Science Theater 3000 once. It would be a bad thing to curse him as he has a death ray that can incinerate a human body instantly. I wouldn't f*ck with that guy at all! :nono:

I can't show you confirmation of this as I have no source but my memory.

Of course, maybe I was just high at the time and I'm waaaaaaaaay off.

You goddamned rednevks need to chill the f*ck out with your regrettable cursing of fictional characters or you will suffer the consequences! :evil:

thats not gonna fly on this board. if you make a claim based on something else youre gonna have to back it up.

It's rather bullshit to expect me to search for the evidence to support your own argument, and I'm just going to hope that you understand why.

If you expect me to accept that there is a suggestion of Crestor being a lazer beam shooting demigogue from another planet then you have to give some god damn evidence to back up the claim. Period. If you can't, or won't, then your claim is meaningless, especially since I watch mystery science theater 3000 and read all of the sources that you name daily.

if you saw it, you need to provide a youtube clip. if you happened to be in the kitchen getting a snack and only heard it, you must provide embedded audio. if neither of these are available to you, a written transcript will suffice. this is the internet. if you cant find it, you are a liar! if the only transcript is on a pay site, i command you to steal the article and post it here. otherwise it didnt happen and is 100% false. :flap:

Buddha Bus
12-18-2011, 12:40 PM
thats not gonna fly on this board. if you make a claim based on something else youre gonna have to back it up.

It's rather bullshit to expect me to search for the evidence to support your own argument, and I'm just going to hope that you understand why.

If you expect me to accept that there is a suggestion of Crestor being a lazer beam shooting demigogue from another planet then you have to give some god damn evidence to back up the claim. Period. If you can't, or won't, then your claim is meaningless, especially since I watch mystery science theater 3000 and read all of the sources that you name daily.

if you saw it, you need to provide a youtube clip. if you happened to be in the kitchen getting a snack and only heard it, you must provide embedded audio. if neither of these are available to you, a written transcript will suffice. this is the internet. if you cant find it, you are a liar! if the only transcript is on a pay site, i command you to steal the article and post it here. otherwise it didnt happen and is 100% false. :flap:

OK, but first you have to take a hit of this. :wink02:

Bayz101
12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
OK, but first you have to take a hit of this. :wink02:

Sharing is caring :drool:

Bayz101
12-18-2011, 12:55 PM
What a regrettable post. :nono:

:mallet:

JCPsteelers
12-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Steelers have been limiting their DL that play this season due to schemes. I've seen a lot of two DL (Ziggy and Keisel) at times during passing downs (even ones that weren't 3rd down). Not a lot of time for Heyward to play.

He'll probably get more time next year just Ziggy did his 2nd year

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 05:24 PM

It's amusing that you take your lack of ability to support your own claims as a joke, as if just because you said that you heard somebody say something, everybody is supposed to take your word for it. That doesn't speak highly toward your intelligence. The only person associated with the Steelers that I've been able to find that has stated his disappointment in Heyward's development is Heyward.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-q-a-cameron-heyward/article_e5341ac8-a062-5faf-85be-54999ade8beb.html

"Q: In recent weeks, you're getting a lot more snaps. You played a total of just 20 plays not counting special teams in the first three games. But you played 29 snaps at Houston and 17 against Tennessee. How would you grade yourself?
A: I'm not playing up to my expectations. I still have so much to improve on. Like I said, I just have to keep getting better every week with every practice and every game I play in."

I'm still waiting for you to provide any source at all that says that Heyward has performed below team expectations, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bayz101
12-18-2011, 05:35 PM
It's amusing that you take your lack of ability to support your own claims as a joke, as if just because you said that you heard somebody say something, everybody is supposed to take your word for it. That doesn't speak highly toward your intelligence. The only person associated with the Steelers that I've been able to find that has stated his disappointment in Heyward's development is Heyward.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-q-a-cameron-heyward/article_e5341ac8-a062-5faf-85be-54999ade8beb.html

"Q: In recent weeks, you're getting a lot more snaps. You played a total of just 20 plays not counting special teams in the first three games. But you played 29 snaps at Houston and 17 against Tennessee. How would you grade yourself?
A: I'm not playing up to my expectations. I still have so much to improve on. Like I said, I just have to keep getting better every week with every practice and every game I play in."

I'm still waiting for you to provide any source at all that says that Heyward has performed below team expectations, but I'm not holding my breath.

If Tony's doing your research for you he should at least be paid :chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 05:48 PM
. That doesn't speak highly toward your intelligence.

:jerkit:

word out of the facility going into last weeks game was that mclendon has been impressing while cam was falling a bit short of expectations.

do you even know what the phrase "word out of the facility" or falling a bit short" even means? :tap: its sad that you dont as it really speaks to your level of understanding and reading comprehension.

ive already cited 2 sources. mix in a few pay sites and radio/television in your THICK and unsurpassed resume of daily internet reading and fish wrap toilet fodder.

other than that, i couldnt care less if you hold your breath until you are blue in the face and pass out. you are inconsequential to me... an internet nobody. :noidea: i could care less what a spelling nazi blowhard believes. stick with nitpicking semantics.

wheres youre source that cam heyward has been playing "awesome" or even above the line? your opinion means about as much as mine, now doesnt it?

as for who the most intelligent person on the board is, everybody knows its dodens grav. just ask dodnes gravy, he will tell you as much as he corrects your spelling.

you better hurry... there is somebody out there on a raiders board who is mispelling tj houshmandzadeh and needs your expertice. :wave:

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 06:26 PM
You are seriously unreal. First of all, if Cam Heyward was falling a bit short of expectations, then he was performing below expectations. They are synonymous. If he wasn't performing below expectations, then he wouldn't be falling a bit short of expectations.

Unless you personally heard somebody in the facility say that Cam Heyward was "falling a bit short of expectations", then you must have read about it somewhere. Yet I searched every site you mentioned, including chat logs, and have found nothing.

Now here is where you get really stupid. You just asked me where my source was for my opinion. Obviously the source for my opinion is me. But you said that a source inside the facility has said that Heyward was falling a bit short of expectations, which is a statement of fact. You didn't say "in my opinion, Cam Heyward is falling a bit short of expectations". You said "word out of the facility is that Cam Heyward is falling a bit short of expectations". If you can't show me some evidence for that, then I have no reason to believe you. You can stick your thumb up your ass and make jokes about how it doesn't matter all you want, but you still look like an idiot for making claims ostensibly based on fact and not being able to give any facts to support it. I don't care what YOUR opinion on Heyward is, I care what the team's opinion is on Heyward, and you said that the team thinks he's a bit short of expectations, so I asked for some evidence. Really simple.

If somebody repeatedly called you tony ****chest because they thought that's how your name was spelled, wouldn't you correct them? A lot of people, including people on Steelers websites, incorrectly believe that McLendon's name is spelled McClendon. Being that he's a Steeler, I thought it would be nice to point out that that's not the way his name is spelled. Now you can't let it go. Did it really bother you that much? Did I make you feel bad or something because you spelled a player's name wrong (as did others) and I simply pointed out the proper way it was spelled? By the way, that has nothing to do with semantics. You're the one dabbling in semantics by pointing out that I said "performed below expectations" instead of "falling a bit short of expectations", which essentially mean the same thing.

I eagerly await your stupid ass blowhard answer in which you continue to to fail to provide any evidence whatsoever that suggests that the team feels, or at any point felt, that Heyward was "falling a bit short of expectations", because it's funny how far you stick out your macho little chest when you're so clearly in the wrong and are just trying to save some face, yet in the process only make yourself look like even more of a jackass.

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 06:33 PM
First of all, if Cam Heyward was falling a bit short of expectations, then he was performing below expectations. They are synonymous..

did i tell you guys this dude was intelligent or what??? (i stopped reading the tripe after the part in bold.- this aint ****ing english class. :coffee:)

dodens gravy, you are getting way TOO bent out of shape because i said that word is cam is falling a bit short of expectations.

this single comment has wrecked your cyberlife.

either let it go or get a real one. :wave:

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Basically what I figured you would say. Instead of admitting that you pulled a "fact" out of your ass, you ignore it. Cool story bro. You're the one that brought this up days later anyway.

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Instead of admitting that you pulled a "fact" out of your ass, you ignore it. Cool story bro.

"fact"?

someone needs to pull their dick out of yours...

opinions are like assholes. just everyones arent stuffed up to their collars.

youre the douchebag swinging your OPINION around as FACT.

get over yourself.

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Yes, dumbass, when you say "word out of the facility is that Cam Heyward is falling a bit short of expectations", it is a matter of fact whether or not the facility has said that.

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 07:03 PM
whaaaa! you need a tissue? ive obviously hit a sore point with you.

that is the word out of the facility. get over it.

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Word out of the facility is that you're a ****ing moron that doesn't know how to cite sources for factual claims. And you're right, I can't even breathe without steaming with rage over your very existence. You obviously mean a whole lot to me, and I focus my day around responding to your posts. That is why I made a reference to an earlier post of yours from several days ago out of the blue today. Oh wait...that was you.

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
word out of the facility is that if ziggy hood is unable to go monday night, it will be BACK UP NT Steve McLendon who gets the start over BACK UP DE Cam Heyward.

"awesome" :toofunny:

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 08:06 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/7/73/JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg/618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
hehehe...

trekkies. gotta love em!

never watched the show, any good?

i did read in an ancient review that jean luc picard was an overbearing pompus ass who felt the need to correct everyone he encountered as well? any truth to that? i cant find the source off hand. i liked him as Professor X though. (did i spell 'x' right?)

:chuckle:

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 09:00 PM
:toofunny: You're a clown. I laugh at you.

MasterOfPuppets
12-18-2011, 09:02 PM
"fact"?

someone needs to pull their dick out of yours...

opinions are like assholes. just everyones arent stuffed up to their collars.

youre the douchebag swinging your OPINION around as FACT.

get over yourself.
:toofunny:

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 09:11 PM
:toofunny: You're a clown. I laugh at you.very good. we will allow you to have the last laugh then and declare you the winner. enjoy your victory and remember- gatorade baths at this point are considered bush league and premature. :drink:

cam's on the field play will be the true deciding factor and this thread has probably run its course.

EDIT: unless anyone else wants to laugh at you.

Bayz101
12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
very good. we will allow you to have the last laugh then and declare you the winner. enjoy your victory and remember- gatorade baths at this point are considered bush league and premature. :drink:

cam's on the field play will be the true deciding factor and this thread has probably run its course.

EDIT: unless anyone else wants to laugh at you.

I'll take advantage of this moment to--- :rofl::chuckle::funny::heha:

Hawaii 5-0
06-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Cameron Heyward Could Be Steelers Biggest Role Player On Defense In 2012

Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward might be entering his second season, but the last few weeks of OTA sessions have been his first thanks to the lockout last year. Heyward, the Steelers first round draft pick out of Ohio State last year, saw just 246 snaps last season as a rookie with 49 of those coming in the AFC Wild Card game against the Denver Broncos after starter Brett Keisel went down with a groin injury.

With Keisel now recovered, and former first round pick Ziggy Hood slated to start on the left side, Heyward will likely have to wait until he makes his first NFL start, but that is not to say that he will not get a lot of opportunities to make plays in his second season. Heyward was asked on 93.7 The Fan last week just how comfortable he is now in the defense and how big of jump he expects to make this upcoming season. Heyward replied, "Oh I feel a lot more comfortable. My confidence has rose, just because I feel comfortable in the defense and I'm expecting a better result. You know, I'm going into this season with high hopes and just get out there and prove myself and just go from there."

That comfort level that Heyward has will likely allow him to get several snaps on both the left and right side in 2012 as he spells both Keisel and Hood throughout the season. The Steelers are not shy about rotating out players on the defensive line, especially on long drives, and even Keisel said himself this past week that he will likely need to be spelled more this year. Keisel said in his interview on 105 The X this past week about Heyward, "He's got to be ready be to go. He's got to be the guy that's versatile, that can play all three positions - knows all the nickel and dime - he's got to be that guy you know. I'm getting older. I'm going to need a few spells during the game. He's got be that guy that can come in and be reliable and be accountable."

Heyward downplayed all the talk this past week about him having a bigger role this year as he was quoted as saying last week, "I haven't even worried about that, I'm just trying to get better out here. I'll let my play show it off and continue to improve." He also added in regard to how important the OTA sessions are to him this year, "I think it's vital. For me to take in the playbook a lot more and learn from my mistakes and take time to shine up and oil up and learn my technique and get better at it."

So how much playing time should we expect Heyward to get this year? Keep in mind that Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke are gone now and that there is a good chance that Casey Hampton could start the season on the PUP list. Despite both Hoke and Hampton being nose tackles, it was not uncommon for either to get a snap every now and again in the nickel. Hoke also was more than capable of playing left defensive end to spell Hood or Smith at times over the past few years in addition. Steve McLendon will likely be the week one starter at nose tackle with Hampton down, and although he too can play the three, four and five technique should the need arise, the Steelers will likely try to keep him as fresh as possible being as he will be backed up by rookie Alameda Ta'amu initially until Hampton is 100%. Considering all of the above, Heyward should easily see 500 snaps in 2012, and that number could easily grow depending on injuries of course.

Behind Heyward there figures to be no real experience by the time the 53 man roster is set, so just as Keisel said, he's got to be ready to go at all times and must be versatile. While he might not be a starter yet, he is likely one of the most important role players on the Steelers defense heading into the 2012 season. Keisel certainly thinks Heyward is up for the job as he said last week, "I believe in him, I do. I feel like he's the type of guy that has the type of character that's going to come in and keep the ship rolling in the right direction."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/cameron-heyward-could-be-steelers-biggest-role-player-on-defense-in-2012/

Galax Steeler
06-04-2012, 04:26 AM
I really like Heyward and I look for a great year from him.

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
i did read in an ancient review that jean luc picard was an overbearing pompus ass who felt the need to correct everyone he encountered as well? any truth to that? i cant find the source off hand. i liked him as Professor X though. (did i spell 'x' right?)

:chuckle:

-1000 cool points

Jean-Luc Picard was THE MAN. Professor X was a cheesy comic-book character. Apples and.......durian.

:flap::flap:

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-06-2012, 06:45 PM
This thread needs a Costco-sized gross of Vagisil....(Sorry ladies-- no chauvenism intended).

Bayz101
06-06-2012, 06:51 PM
This thread needs a Costco-sized gross of Vagisil....(Sorry ladies-- no chauvenism intended).

:sofunny:

steelfury02
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
"#1 - I order you to take a #2, and go that way, or something, uh huh huh huh huh huh . . ."

Bayz101
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
It isn't really a big deal, but if a thread is this old, you can always feel free to make a new one. Got to clean up the cobwebs in here :chuckle:

Thanks for using the search function, though. That's a rarity! :thumbsup:

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-08-2012, 02:28 PM
-1000 cool points

Jean-Luc Picard was THE MAN. Professor X was a cheesy comic-book character. Apples and.......durian.

And I hope you know I am just talking crap, Tony....no seriousness intended.

Hawaii 5-0
06-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Heyward has high expectations this year

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Defensive end Cameron Heyward feels more confident entering his second season with the Steelers, in part, because he’s had offseason practices and minicamp to prepare.

A year ago, the NFL lockout slowed his progressed.

“When you can slow it down, you’re going to have much more success,” said Heyward, a first-round selection in 2011. “I’ve been able to focus on my keys and execute.”

Heyward has higher expectations for himself this season.

“If there’s pressure, there’s pressure. I’m just going to do my job,” he said. “I don’t have to be an all-star. If I’m opening the gap for somebody else — it may not show up in the stats — then we’re winning. I just want to be a part of the mix, so I just have to execute.”

• The Steelers signed linebacker Brandon Johnson and long snapper Matt Katula on Wednesday. Johnson, a fifth-round pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 2006, spent the past four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, playing primarily on special teams and as a backup linebacker. Katula, a seven-year veteran, played with Baltimore, New England and Minnesota Vikings. He appeared in 93 games as a long snapper but only 13 games over the past two seasons. Katula, an undrafted free agent in 2005, played the last five games of 2011 with the Vikings. Also, the Steelers placed receiver Connor Dixon (South Park) on their waived/injured list and released tight end Wes Lyons (Woodland Hills).

• Running back Isaac Redman surprised himself with how quickly he grasped the offense of new offensive coordinator Todd Haley, especially the two-minute offense. “This is a learning camp,” Redman said. “Right now, we’re trying to get in a position where we’re not thinking about. We’re starting to get a hang of it. We’re starting to grasp the two-minute drill, but I surprised myself how I’ve caught on to the verbiage of it.”

• Rashard Mendenhall, who suffered a torn ACL in the 2011 regular-season finale, isn’t sure when he’ll be ready to play this season. “I’m not looking too far down the line, but right now, I’m comfortable with my recovery,” Mendenhall said. “The healing process has been going well.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1978021-85/heyward-season-steelers-2011-games-katula-execute-expectations-johnson-linebacker

Galax Steeler
06-14-2012, 04:24 AM
I would love to see Heyward come out of the gate strong and have a great year.

lloydwoodson
06-14-2012, 11:54 AM
take it up with the source of the "QUOTE". :coffee:

it is what it is.

The question was asked how Heyward was playing not how McLendon was playing. McLendon has played well freeing up LeBeau to concentrate Heyward more at RDE where he is a better fit. Heyward had a very good rookie year. He has "playmaker" written all over him. He got a sack, ff, and blocked a kick in very limited playing time. The only expectations that matter are those of his coaches so if you can find a quote that shows Tomlin or Lebeau don't feel Heyward is playing up to expectations I would love to see it.

Hawaii 5-0
09-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Steelers’ Heyward ready to contribute in 2nd season

By — By Ralph N. Paulk —
Published: Sunday, September 2, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=TZAf_ 3hdo03bTZutFvdbzs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvDEM0EcARkEl8 rNvdjCAsRWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers defensive lineman Cameron Heyward plays against the Panthers on Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012, at Heinz Field

Cam Heyward has a bad attitude — on the field, anyway.

The Steelers’ second-year defensive end couldn’t resist leaping into the fray of any dispute during training camp. Instinctively, it seemed, he dumped gasoline instead of water on every fire.

“Cam is always in a fight,” guard Ramon Foster said. “But that’s just him. I’m glad to have him on my side because I know he’s not going to back down.

“You can’t tell him to calm down. I don’t want to change that about him.”

Heyward ended up in the middle of most skirmishes at St. Vincent College. It began with guard Willie Colon. It continue with former Ohio State teammate and rookie tackle Mike Adams and then again with rookie guard Kelvin Beachum.

Heyward challenged them all, sometimes without provocation.

It’s not about flexing his muscles or proving he’s tough enough. It’s about intimidation.

“I don’t think the fights ever stopped,” Heyward said. “I’m a different person on the field. I leave it on the field because after that I’m done.

“I’ve always been a guy involved in skirmishes. I guess I’ve got a temper problem.”

It’s just a facade, really, said nose tackle Steve McLendon.

“Cam really doesn’t have an attitude problem,” McLendon said. “He just likes to play fast. He gives it everything, and if you don’t like it, you better get out of the way.”

Heyward spun his wheels throughout much of his rookie campaign in 2011. He couldn’t gain much traction, partly because he struggled to adjust to complex blocking schemes after three years of tormenting Big Ten linemen.

Admittedly, he intimidated no one.

A quicker, stronger Heyward possesses far more confidence as the Steelers prepare for their regular-season opener Sunday against Denver at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

“It’s been a good start, but there are a number of things I can improve on, including better technique, taking better steps and using my hands more often,” Heyward said. “It’s a lot better than last year.”

Heyward, like other young players on last year’s roster, was adversely affected by a lockout that erased OTAs and minicamp. He progressed some but not enough to have a significant impact on an aging defensive front that lost nose tackle Casey Hampton and end Brett Keisel in a 29-23 overtime defeat to the Broncos in an AFC wild-card game in January.

Heyward spent part of the offseason workouts catching up. He focused primarily on using good extension while pass rushing and getting comfortable with defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau’s playbook.

“I’m more in-tune and not thinking on the field, and I’m playing faster,” Heyward said. “I’m much more violent with my hands, and I’m staying tight on blocks but staying in my gap.”

Heyward, who missed the preseason opener at Philadelphia with a sore back, didn’t do much against Indianapolis or Buffalo. But he was an intimidating presence in the preseason finale against Carolina.

He showed signs of the player coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert envisioned when they made him the team’s No. 1 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. His stat line against the Panthers was overshadowed by how he collapsed the pocket or neutralized blockers to funnel running backs to linebackers — a prerequisite skill for the Steelers, considering safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu had a combined 190 tackles last season.

“We’re taking the challenge to be an impenetrable force up front,” Heyward said. “We don’t want to make our DBs our leading tacklers again.”

The Steelers had the top-ranked defense last season despite a rather uninspiring performance by the defensive front. But its weaknesses were exposed by the Broncos, as quarterback Tim Tebow avoided only token pressure to make big plays in the passing game, including an 80-yard, game-winning touchdown pass on the first play of overtime.

The expectations are greater for Heyward this season. Perhaps there’s no greater challenge than facing quarterback Peyton Manning in the opener.

“If there’s high expectations, so be it,” Heyward said. “I have my own high expectations. I have to live up to those.”

Heyward figures he has a fighting chance of proving he can deliver. No longer is he buoyed by a sterling college reputation. His performance — good, bad or indifferent — is no longer overshadowed by pedigree: his late father and Pitt star Craig “Ironhead” Heyward.

“Cam doesn’t talk about what he’s going to do; he just does it,” Foster said. “He is definitely getting his own identity as he wants to be perceived. There’s always going to be a comparison between him and his dad. He can’t get past that, but he’s making a name for himself.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2487745-85/heyward-field-season-steelers-cam-defensive-2011-expectations-front-game#ixzz25NZgwjte

Steeldude
09-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Seeing is believing

ricardisimo
09-03-2012, 07:25 PM
-1000 cool points

http://www.coolfunnycomments.com/img/animations/045.gif

tony hipchest
09-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Source: Depth Along Steelers Defensive Line is a Concern

by Neal Coolong on Aug 23, 2012 10:00 AM EDT in Steelers Roster

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/23/3262338/steelers-preseason-depth-chart-defensive-line-cameron-heyward-alameda-taamu

Probably the most underrated positional unit the Pittsburgh Steelers have had in their run of success over the last decade as been their defensive line.

DEs Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel flanked NT Casey Hampton and back-up NT Chris Hoke, and all of them contributed extensively to a run of run-stopping dominance in that time.

Smith and Hoke are retired, Hampton is probably on his last leg (pun intended), and while Keisel still plays at a high level, the jury is still out on DE Ziggy Hood. The spotlight will be on him this season, heading into the critical fourth year of his five-year rookie contract.

Cameron Heyward, the back-up at both defensive end spots, is more of a concern. With Keisel's age and contract next season, the Steelers drafted Heyward to eventually be groomed into a starter, but thus far in 2012, he hasn't showed he's capable of playing extensive snaps, let alone start.

I spoke with a well-placed source who said the Steelers are disappointed in Heyward's development to this point, and his propensity to fight. Heyward got in three altercations during training camp, two against rookie OL Kelvin Beachum and one against LG Willie Colon.

Heyward, through two preseason games, hasn't played with the starting group, and hasn't really flashed anything going against the 2s, either. Heyward is gifted athletically, and his strength and quickness are apparent, but he looks slow to react to the play after the snap. HIs athleticism doesn't help much if he isn't anticipating what the offense is doing.

While he is young, the Steelers' alleged disappointment in the second-year player is understandable. Keisel has been injured multiple times the last two seasons, and defensive line coach Johnny MItchell rotates the linemen as often as the depth of the team lets them.

By this account, it doesn't seem like depth within the defensive line is an advantage the Steelers currently enjoy

Another point of frustration the source noted was with rookie NT Alameda Ta'amu, of whom the source said "doesn't get it." That's not necessarily a bad thing, but Hampton is not only just returning from a torn ACL, he's hinting at having had elbow surgery as well. NT Steve McLendon has proved to be at worst a serviceable back-up to Hampton, but between a second-year defensive end who's frustrating coaches on his lack of progress and a rookie who, by the source's account, isn't ready to see the field, one injury could create a problem within a unit that once prided itself on being one of the best in the NFL.

ricardisimo
09-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Source: Depth Along Steelers Defensive Line is a Concern

by Neal Coolong on Aug 23, 2012 10:00 AM EDT in Steelers Roster

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/23/3262338/steelers-preseason-depth-chart-defensive-line-cameron-heyward-alameda-taamu
Seems a bit alarmist, to say the least. Calling McClendon "serviceable" is like calling Romney "well off". Keisel is hardly made of glass, and Heyward has good numbers for a 3-4 DE who's never started a game. Mind you, I don't think we should have taken a DE that year, but I have no doubt both he and Hood will be studs for years to come.

tony hipchest
09-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Seems a bit alarmist, to say the least. Calling McClendon "serviceable" is like calling Romney "well off". Keisel is hardly made of glass, and Heyward has good numbers for a 3-4 DE who's never started a game. Mind you, I don't think we should have taken a DE that year, but I have no doubt both he and Hood will be studs for years to come.yeah, just a bit. i happen to think DE/DT is one of our strongest positions. Its a good problem to have, trying to squeeze UDFA's such as mclendon, woods, bryant on the roster. not to mention past success with late rounders such as hoke & keisel.

Wether these guys are off the street, or first rounders such as hood and cameron, they are gonna take a few years to get "up to speed" with the nuances of the 3-4 zone blitz (hood has proven that.

im definitely not concerned with cam's fighting. i just hope he picks up on the "read and react" part quicker than this article would suggest. I think he will but also acknowledge that sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.