PDA

View Full Version : Who can beat the packers?

BlaZeQuietly
12-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Who do you think has the best chance to beat the Packers? They are probably going to go undefeated unless they lose due to resting their starters in the final week against Detroit who may be playing for purpose. So, in the playoffs, who would be most likely to knock off the packers? The Saints on a good day could beat them, The Giants have showed they can come damn close. I'd say that's it for the NFC. If the Packers reach the superbowl, I think New England could match points with them, but Rodgers would tear that defense up probably leading to a shoot-out packer victory and I think its safe to say that the Ravens and Steelers would both have to have luck on their side or a VERY good game to beat them. So out of the mentioned teams... Saints, Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Who has the best shot? I'd have to go Saints, but in a totally non biased way I'd say steelers are a close second due to the fact that they may be able to slow the packers offense down some, but bottom line is Rodgers is having an amazing season and the Packers are a clear favorite to win the superbowl, as much as I'd hate to see it happen.:tt03:

truesteelerfan
12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Anyone can beat anyone on any given day.....I would like another shot at them in the SB

ricardisimo
12-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Steelers.

skinart82
12-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Honestly, not being a homer, the Steelers have the best chance. You need a defense that's good against the pass and can get pressure on the QB, but you also need an offense with explosive wide receivers and an accurate QB. The Steelers are the only team that posses the right talent to beat them.

TRH
12-14-2011, 05:23 PM
as said above, anyone can beat anyone on any given day.
One problem here (and yes, i watched a few of their games lately....), is that not only Rogers, but the whole damned team pretty much now is in "Brady - M Jordan land" where the refs won't call much of anything on them and call everything on the other side.

steelersfan77
12-14-2011, 05:26 PM
The Steelers if they're allowed to hit the other team hard.

steelerjim58
12-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Honestly, not being a homer, the Steelers have the best chance. You need a defense that's good against the pass and can get pressure on the QB, but you also need an offense with explosive wide receivers and an accurate QB. The Steelers are the only team that posses the right talent to beat them.

NO offense meant, and I know it is all a matter of opinion, but the Steelers have not shown much in the way of being able to get pressure on any qb this year. I would guess that as far as any of the top defenses go, the Steelers are far down the list in hurries and knockdowns. But with that being said, obviously on any given Sunday we have the talent to beat any team. Not knowing what offense will show up would be the big question.

lipps83
12-14-2011, 07:11 PM
We could not stop a 'not quite as effective as today' Packer offense in the Super Bowl. Our defense is not as good as last year, and their offense has improved. They easily win that match up.

Their weak spot is their defense. Our weak spot is our offensive coordinator. That match up would be a draw.

I would love to smash them, but I just don't see it happening. It would be a close game again, but I see them coming out on top.

steelersfan77
12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't know about not getting pressure. Just because a team doesn't record sacks doesn't mean they're not getting pressure. Getting pressure has alot to do with this team being better against the pass.

From what I see there's been plenty of pressure up the gut and lately Harrison has been wreaking havoc on the outside. Woodley has what, 9 sacks, and hasn't even played a handful of games plus. The guy is a terror for offensive tackles. My guess is we'll see plenty of pressure from the steelers against San Fran who was weak against the protection in losses to Baltimore and Arizona.

Still 16th in the league in sacks without Woodley and Harrison for some of the season because of injury. I hope they're both healthy come playoff time.

steelersfan77
12-14-2011, 07:19 PM
If the steelers wouldn't of turned the ball over we win that game. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. That was last year, this is this year. I think our secondary coverage is much better and much deeper this year. William Gay has been playing better and the rookies are coming along nicely. Allen and Brown. Taylor is probably the most physical corner in the league.

I'm starting to lose confidence in Ben come Super Bowl time. If he gets another chance and that's a big if, it's hard to get there, I want to see him let up the statistics and earn an MVP. He's better than what he's played the first three trips. I honestly thought that last year was going to be the super bowl that he broke out.

skip
12-14-2011, 07:24 PM
I think Pittsburgh has the best chance of beating them, but I reckon Baltimore can beat them as well. What makes the Packers so good is not just their sensational passing game, it's that they don't make many mistakes. And so they're also able to capitalize on other teams' mistakes. They're just a well-oiled machine, and that's allowed their offensive game to shine. But then again all the teams Green Bay have played this season don't have very strong defenses.

So obviously the key to beating them is with a smart and powerful defense. Then you can chip away at their offensive strategy. That's what the Jets did to the Patriots' "unstoppable" offense last year in the divisional playoffs. Once they found that chink in their armor they beat them pretty confidently.

Scoring against Green Bay's defense shouldn't be too hard. Their point differential is the highest in the league only because they've scored so many touchdowns. They've also allowed a lot of points this season. I heard a lot of praise about their defense in that last game against Detroit, but all of Detroit's turnovers were made on poor passes not great coverage. And that brings us back to their ability to capitalize on mistakes.

So keeping their offense at bay is the real task, and I think the Steelers are up to it. But not making mistakes against them is another challenge altogether. We've made our fair share of blunders this season, some of them crucial. And I think we all agree that we could've won that last SB without those turnovers.

Fire Arians
12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Who dey? We dey.

BlaZeQuietly
12-14-2011, 08:09 PM
You would have to fight fire with fire there for I think the easiest most realistic route to a pittsburgh superbowl would be The Saints taking out The Packers and then Pittsburgh beating the saints in the super bowl.

skip
12-14-2011, 08:32 PM
You would have to fight fire with fire there for I think the easiest most realistic route to a pittsburgh superbowl would be The Saints taking out The Packers and then Pittsburgh beating the saints in the super bowl.

Funny you mention that because last year when Green Bay won the NFC, I remember thinking "Damn it!" because despite being 6th seed they were the only team from the NFC that I thought could beat the Steelers.

Well here's to the Saints then. It could happen.

Atlanta Dan
12-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Who do you think has the best chance to beat the Packers? :

Wisconsin weather in January

Passing teams can deal with cold - wind and snow that slows down the field ironically could be kryptonite to the Packers, a perfect dome team

Their home field next month may be their greatest flaw

Of course that weather will do in the Saints as well

finesward
12-14-2011, 08:37 PM
We could not stop a 'not quite as effective as today' Packer offense in the Super Bowl. Our defense is not as good as last year, and their offense has improved. They easily win that match up.

Their weak spot is their defense. Our weak spot is our offensive coordinator. That match up would be a draw.

I would love to smash them, but I just don't see it happening. It would be a close game again, but I see them coming out on top.

Politely disagree with this. Our defense hasn't really hit their stride yet, with a few games showing glimpses (new england comes to mind) of what they are capable of. Keeping Ryan Clark off the field more often than not gives us the match up's that put us in the best position to stop a team like GB. We didn't really have that last year. Gay I think we all can agree is not suddenly much better, but is at least able to play to his strengths more this year with the depth at CB we picked up in the draft. I'm not sold on GB as much as everyone else is. They have won a lot of close games, and have blown out a few teams...but those games they had a defense which were getting turnovers with short fields. I'm certain rodgers would become HIGHLY ineffective if he was to take a nice clean shot from harrison or anyone for that matter. We never got that shot on him last year and he was able to stay pretty much unfazed. He has a history of concussions and one good lick could be all it takes to make that team easily beatable. I think with the press coverage we could disrupt his timing enough to get a couple shots on him, even if he's able to get rid of the ball in time those shots will make him wither like his tom brady counterpart.

Here's how I see it:

Packers offense is better this year than last...but ours is much improved as well AND having a healthy pouncey could help expose their suspect run defense. Nobody has really challenged them on the ground b/c often teams get caught playing behind. They tend to have trouble with power runners, and we have a tough grinding RB in Redman that could help wear them out and demoralize the D while keeping rodgers off the field. Mendy runs too damn high for my taste, but at times seems to lower his shoulders and run well, so if we could get those two going early and often it would open up all sorts of things for ben and the arguably BEST WR corps in the league. I think we have the edge on offense as far as compared to last year.

Defensively they are weaker. Hands down. They let cam newton go wild on them, made eli look like a good QB and overall take too many chances. We are as good if not improved from last year having the new dime packages that feature an extra CB. Worilds is a viable player now, we have youth on the D-line with McClendon Ziggy and Cam getting plenty of playing time. ILB still is an area for concern covering those TE's but foote and farrior still can smother any kind of rushing attack they may try. I like this defense in a rematch. They have the chip on their shoulder and something to prove. One last push for a lot of the vet guys who know their time is almost up.

Special teams is a wash. We have potential to take it to the house with brown but I don't see much difference between this year and last year. Kapinos is no upgrade but not much worse, and our coverage unit is as good or slightly better.

If the superbowl was tomorrow I'd be worried b/c of the health of our team vs. their team but there is still a lot of football between now and then, plenty of time for us to get healthy knock on wood. Hopefully we start humming going into the playoffs.

end rant...

DanRooney
12-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Either it's going to be a team that can go score for score with them like the Saints or one that is extremely well rounded and can stop them from scoring at will (and score themselves) like us. We'd have to play our A game though. Rodgers is unbelievable.

DanRooney
12-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Oh and Tim Tebow :chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Wisconsin weather in January

Passing teams can deal with cold - wind and snow that slows down the field ironically could be kryptonite to the Packers, a perfect dome team

Their home field next month may be their greatest flaw

Of course that weather will do in the Saints as wellgreat points.

im not suggesting this will happen, but very recently the giants went into lambeau as a 6 seed and defeated the favre led packers in the NFC Champ game. they followed that up by defeating the most perfectest team mankind has ever witnessed in the SB (the 19-0* patriots).

i remember that year the giants gave the patriots their toughest game in the regular season finale. although they lost, it prepared them for the rematch.

didnt the giants just allow

the packers their hardest fought win of the season?

food for thought...

Whodis
12-15-2011, 07:05 AM
The Vikings came damn close! They won't get to the Super Bowl IMO

Kanata-Steeler
12-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Our Defense is fairly matched with theirs (maybe our's is a little better than their Defense), unless our Defense has a bad-hair day ?
But our Offense ?, it's obvious that our Offense will have to be (at the freekin' least) a match for theirs, or it'll be over before it begins.
In other words, NO turnovers at all by Ben this time !!!,
and then, we have a really good chance of beating them.

steelfury02
12-15-2011, 08:39 AM
NFC team to knock them out of their repeat aspirations?
Giants and Giants alone. New Orleans could if they played them at home, but not at the Frozen Tundra.

AFC team to beat them in the SB?
Yup - the Steelers. Our offense is better than last year's squad and our pass defense is much improved thanks to a deeper secondary and guys stepping up (and Lake, who does not get enough credit) The GB defense is average at best and can be scored on. I say if we get a shot at redemption - and if we can have a repeat performance of the Patriots game - we win.

Keep Rodgers on the bench and when he is in, get physical with the receivers and create hurries, hits, knock downs, sacks with only sending 4 to 5 guys. Sacks are not of the UTMOST importance but pressure with minimum amt of guys is.

On offense, score in the Red Zone and just generally kill the clock and NO turnovers on our side of the field, if any at all.

sharkweek
12-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Our Defense is fairly matched with theirs (maybe our's is a little better than their Defense), unless our Defense has a bad-hair day ?
But our Offense ?, it's obvious that our Offense will have to be (at the freekin' least) a match for theirs, or it'll be over before it begins.
In other words, NO turnovers at all by Ben this time !!!,
and then, we have a really good chance of beating them.

lol wut?

their defense is terrible, they absolutely rely on turnovers to look at all good on defense, on the flipside we've been winning in spite of losing the turnover battle, which simply doesn't happen, so we must be pretty good to overcome that

Packers are on a pretty freakish turn-over run, but that can't last forever, I'd wager as soon as they can't decisively win the turnover battle against a good team they'll lose, and it might not be pretty.

Again, as long as we protect the ball I'd wager we could easily hang with the Packers in a game that might look similar to the '09 shootout, and of course we can look at the Superbowl loss where we had a chance to tie the game at the end even though we lost the turnover battle 3-1, with one of the INTs being a pick-6.

Kanata-Steeler
12-15-2011, 09:02 AM
lol wut?

their defense is terrible, they absolutely rely on turnovers to look at all good on defense, on the flipside we've been winning in spite of losing the turnover battle, which simply doesn't happen, so we must be pretty good to overcome that

Packers are on a pretty freakish turn-over run, but that can't last forever, I'd wager as soon as they can't decisively win the turnover battle against a good team they'll lose, and it might not be pretty.

Again, as long as we protect the ball I'd wager we could easily hang with the Packers in a game that might look similar to the '09 shootout, and of course we can look at the Superbowl loss where we had a chance to tie the game at the end even though we lost the turnover battle 3-1, with one of the INTs being a pick-6.

This reply is easy, regarding your:
"..,we've been winning in spite of losing the turnover battle.."

huh what ya say ?
uumm, TURNOVERS always lose games man, they don't win 'em, and you should know that by now.
LoL.
sharkweek sounds like a fish story to me, and I don't wanna know how big(SMALL) it really is.
...back to Miami?
:)

Kanata-Steeler
12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
btw, whats with all these bandwagoneers lately, don't you guys have your own team to "DIE" for ?
;)

Bayz101
12-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I hate the Packers as much as the next guy, but to say they have a bad defense isn't smart. Stats aren't a matter when your teams 13-0, and as far as i'm concerned, any defense with Clay Matthews on it's side is a dangerous one. Let's not underestimate this Packers defense. However. I think the Giants and the Saints have a better chance of making it deep into the playoffs than the Packers, seeing as a majority of the Packers players can't seem to get perfection off their mind. Once you've won ten, all that matters is what happens in January.

Opt2loc
12-15-2011, 02:44 PM
IMO the Ravens and Steelers have the best chance. Green Bay's weakness is obviously their pass defense. They are 31st in the league. 12th in rush defense. They let up almost 400 yds per game combined. The problems is teams have trouble with them in the red zone. They can't get the ball in.

AR is completing passes all over the place for over 300 yds a game. His best asset is that he does great reads on the defense and can get rid of the ball very quickly. It's not enough just to get pressure on him. Teams have sacked him 32 times this year. IMO the key to beating them is coverage on the WRs and TEs and INTs.

Pitt and Balt teams are pretty similar as we know. Just lay off the offensive TOs and exploit that pass defense both teams have a better chance then anyone else in the AFC.

At least if Balt has success running Rice and Joe only has to throw the ball 20-25 times, it can be done.

tanda10506
12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
The Saints can beat them indoors, but most likely it would be in Green Bay, and in that case the Saints don't have a chance. We can beat them with ALL our starters healthy. If we can ever get Woodley and Harrison playing 100% in the same game then we could get a good pass rush. Basically beating them would require the same style game plan as beating the pats. Jam them at the line, disrupt timing, use an extra CB and most of all keep their offense off the field. Their defense is bad enough to where Ben could pass on them like he did against the pats this year. They have some good players on their defense, but overall they aren't much better than the pats defense. As long as we don't leave points on the field we could definetly win!

pittpete
12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Steelers beat the Packers,cmon.
We barely beat KC and the Browns.
No defense can slow down the Packers in todays NFL.
Just what Roger and the greed *****s want.
Packers vs. New England with an Arena League score:blah::blah::blah:

Fire Arians
12-15-2011, 05:23 PM

green bay barely beat the vikings, panthers, and bucs. stick a fork in em

casteeler
12-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Saints,Steelers,Lions and Ratbirds... I think all have something that can get it done. Green Bay secondary is quite porous

BlaZeQuietly
12-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Yes keeping their offense off the field would be crucial. Think about this, steelers vs packers in superbowl, steelers win coin toss, receive, take 7 minutes off the clock to score a touch down then make a stop on the packers. THEN I like their chances :-D. Yeah I'm saying there would be a 7 point spread lol.

Bayz101
12-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Yes keeping their offense off the field would be crucial. Think about this, steelers vs packers in superbowl, steelers win coin toss, receive, take 7 minutes off the clock to score a touch down then make a stop on the packers. THEN I like their chances :-D. Yeah I'm saying there would be a 7 point spread lol.

If our running game is good, we'll take time off the clock. But most of this year has been a different story, because we've been relying on the passing game over all. Long drives are usually led by a successful running game. Remember Foster and the Texans? They took up nearly the entire first quarter on the first drive with him leading the way.

So what i'm saying is, we'll win games if we leave teams with less time to react. As much as I love these 60 yard touchdown passes, if our defense doesn't make a quick stop, teams like the Packers will just fire right back. Long drives, long drives and even longer drives.

:tt04:

bornaSteelersfan
12-16-2011, 01:43 AM
If our running game is good, we'll take time off the clock. But most of this year has been a different story, because we've been relying on the passing game over all. Long drives are usually led by a successful running game. Remember Foster and the Texans? They took up nearly the entire first quarter on the first drive with him leading the way.

So what i'm saying is, we'll win games if we leave teams with less time to react. As much as I love these 60 yard touchdown passes, if our defense doesn't make a quick stop, teams like the Packers will just fire right back. Long drives, long drives and even longer drives.

:tt04:

Sorry, Bayz, but the Steelers have already proven they can take time off the clock with the passing game. Our offense was on the field for 39+ minutes against The Patriots earlier this year with Ben throwing 50 passes! That is the game plan if (and when) we play The Packers.

#1LambertFan
12-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Sorry, Bayz, but the Steelers have already proven they can take time off the clock with the passing game. Our offense was on the field for 39+ minutes against The Patriots earlier this year with Ben throwing 50 passes! That is the game plan if (and when) we play The Packers.

Establish play-action should be the game plan. We failed to in the Super Bowl and got beat.

skip
12-16-2011, 05:46 AM

Actually the scoreboards on all our wins this season belie a more uneven effort on our part. Our wins against both strong and mediocre teams have been too close for comfort. People talk about the Steelers playing down to inferior teams but that's nonsense. We make blunders against good teams and bad teams. But whatever the challenge, we always rise to the occasion. And loyalties aside, when games go from ridiculous to sublime on a dime, that's fine football.

Opt2loc
12-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Another thing to consider is that the Steelers have a few guys beat up. If this team doesn't get healthy and keeps adding guys watching from the sidelines, it's gonna be real tough to advance in the playoffs. Nevermind facing the Packers.

tanda10506
12-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Another thing to consider is that the Steelers have a few guys beat up. If this team doesn't get healthy and keeps adding guys watching from the sidelines, it's gonna be real tough to advance in the playoffs. Nevermind facing the Packers.

For the better part of the season I have said that we have more pro bowl caliber players hurt and/or out then most teams even have. Health through out the playoffs is a deciding factor IMO.

We can keep them off the field with short passing, as I and a few others mentioned, the gameplan should be similar to the one we used against the pats. The packers defense isn't good, but I still think we need to run on them too. Ben throwing 50 passes the way he did against the pats could work, but I would like to see a high yards per carry avg from Mendy. He doesn't have to carry it a lot, just effeciently enough to keep the clock moving and set up play action.

TRH
12-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Green Bay is the ones who had more important players hurt last year than we did, and they handily beat us. No way we're beating them this year, although, yes, i'd love to see that.

BlaZeQuietly
12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Chiefs could probably beat them.

ETL
12-18-2011, 03:04 PM

You, Sir, are the sine qua non of 20:20 hindsight

TRH
12-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Hahaha...

Anyone else sick and tired of Rogers and his 'championship-belt' routine? Glad they lost. Last thing i wanted to hear is how they had a perfect record. Couldn't the refs have helped them win this as they've been one of GB's best players this year....

BlaZeQuietly
12-18-2011, 03:15 PM
apparently the refs are sick of the double check discount as well

BlaZeQuietly
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I am officially more afraid of the saints now... WOW.

Bayz101
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
apparently the refs are sick of the double check discount as well

Chiefs can beat the Packers, and we can beat the Chiefs. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-18-2011, 04:27 PM

how soon people forget...

the rams hammered the saints. no matter how good, every team has a stinker built into them just about every year.

we just so happened to get ours out of our system in week 1 vs the ravens.

i dont think the packers are any less of a dangerous team (or the saints and steelers for that matter).

Bayz101
12-18-2011, 04:49 PM
how soon people forget...

the rams hammered the saints. no matter how good, every team has a stinker built into them just about every year.

we just so happened to get ours out of our system in week 1 vs the ravens.

i dont think the packers are any less of a dangerous team (or the saints and steelers for that matter).

Week one of the NFL season wasn't exactly a week of high expectancy to me. Teams we're coming off a short training camp and the Pre-Season doesn't really do much for starters.

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Hahaha...

Anyone else sick and tired of Rogers and his 'championship-belt' routine?

This is the only reason I don't like Rodgers, because he's an amazing player. But just because of that damn celebration, I HATE him.

stb_steeler
12-18-2011, 06:55 PM
It is a bit amusing tho........NOT!
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m588/pinklimonada/Gifs/arodg.gif

ETL
12-18-2011, 06:58 PM
This is the only reason I don't like Rodgers, because he's an amazing player. But just because of that damn celebration, I HATE him.

I would say that is a tame celebration. Quick and not too flamboyant. You would probably hate him with or without the celebration ... just because he's good.

harrison'samonster
12-18-2011, 06:59 PM

yeah the Saints are scary, but they're probably going to have to beat the Packers in Green Bay in the playoffs instead of in the dome.

I did like seeing Romeo do well today, even though he was a coach for Cleveland I always liked him. He always seemed like a real pro.

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 07:04 PM
No, I find it obnoxious because it's such a clear celebration of individual performance. I don't like when players embrace their individual greatness with flamboyance, especially a quarterback who is supposed to embody the team and the franchise and is supposed to lead by example. I find it classless and very distasteful.

ricardisimo
12-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Yup. Kyle Orton and Romeo Crennel. Dream Team.

The question now is if and when the Chiefs will lose again.

ETL
12-18-2011, 07:11 PM
No, I find it obnoxious because it's such a clear celebration of individual performance. I don't like when players embrace their individual greatness with flamboyance, especially a quarterback who is supposed to embody the team and the franchise and is supposed to lead by example. I find it classless and very distasteful.

I can see your point. I can't recall too many QBs with a post TD celebration routine. I know many WRs have them but I can see why you would judge a WR differently than a QB.

Pentheon
12-18-2011, 08:32 PM
The cheifs lol

JustinM
12-18-2011, 10:39 PM
The Cheifs.

JCPsteelers
12-18-2011, 10:50 PM
I actually thought the Chiefs secondary was pretty damn good against the Steelers when we played them. Not surprised they slowed down the Packers but it is shocking they won especially with an interim coach.

stb_steeler
12-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Isnt the Chiefs ranked 8th in Defense? Maybe im way off.

Bayz101
12-19-2011, 12:43 AM
I thought Romeo Crenell did a great job coaching today. I hate Cleveland, but I think Romeo is a good coach. It was just a bad situation for him in Cleveland.

Bayz101
12-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Isnt the Chiefs ranked 8th in Defense? Maybe im way off.

Their actually 16th in total defense, and that really isn't too bad.

Bayz101
12-19-2011, 12:46 AM
I would say that is a tame celebration. Quick and not too flamboyant. You would probably hate him with or without the celebration ... just because he's good.

:chuckle:

GBpack2010
12-21-2011, 10:39 PM
I hope we can win it all again but our O line stinks and our defense is horrible. The only team in the AFC I would like to see go all the way is Baltimore. A raven Packer super bowl would be nice.

Bayz101
12-22-2011, 01:06 AM
I hope we can win it all again but our O line stinks and our defense is horrible. The only team in the AFC I would like to see go all the way is Baltimore. A raven Packer super bowl would be nice.

I completely disagree with you on that bird part :chuckle: