PDA

View Full Version : Charlie batch

tburhans
12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
From what I've read batch has been running with the first team all week. So if for some reason ben doesn't play how do you think charlie does? He played good enough to win last year and I'm hoping he can do it again if necessary

harrison'samonster
12-15-2011, 08:23 PM
i honestly don't count on Batch to win games. As long as he doesn't make mistakes that hurt the team, we could win. But with Batch in there we'll have to find other ways to win as a team.

ricardisimo
12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Mendenhall is going to have to pick up his game against a tough 49ers run D, albeit probably without Patrick Willis, which can't hurt his cause. Charlie will hopefully look slightly better than last week, but he won't be the one winning it.

Bayz101
12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Dixon has been getting lots of reps, and we've seen him take the Steelers to OT against the Ravens before, if i'm not mistaken. Wouldn't be surprised to see a little bit of him. I think Ben will play, however.

ricardisimo
12-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Even if Ben does play, I still think that they have to decide to run the ball ahead of time and stick with it. Ben will get killed doing much more than handing off left and right.

casteeler
12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
This is a passing team, I don't see Mendy doing a whole lot against a team with a good run defense. Face it people the combo of Mendy and this offensive line isn't something that's threatening. I like Batch but I think the Steelers need Ben to win this game.

jjpro11
12-16-2011, 12:00 AM
the 49ers don't have a very good offense.. Gore is playing hurt and is going to be limited. Crabtree and Davis are threats, but Smith is an average QB and his oline sucks.

if Batch and the Steelers can get a couple TDs on the board, i think they win. the D is going to have to step up, plain and simple. the 49ers have the worst red zone offense in the league. if the D has to sacrifice some yards and field goals to prevent long TDs, so be it.

jjpro11
12-16-2011, 12:02 AM
the 49ers don't have a very good offense.. Gore is playing hurt and is going to be limited. Crabtree and Davis are threats, but Smith is an average QB and his oline sucks.

if Batch and the Steelers can get a couple TDs on the board, i think they win. the D is going to have to step up, plain and simple. the 49ers have the worst red zone offense in the league. if the D has to sacrifice some yards and field goals to prevent long TDs, so be it.

BlaZeQuietly
12-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Batch's inability to extend plays completely changes the game plan, he would get murdered, if Ben doesn't play I think we would rely on redman and mendy and run the ball at least 60% of the time, it's a workable equation :-D

MACH1
12-16-2011, 01:23 AM
As long as it does not come down to a long fg. This could be the game that sushi loses for us.

Bayz101
12-16-2011, 01:31 AM
I doubt it's Batch we'll see on Monday night. Have a feeling Ben won't be watching this one from the sidelines. Hell, he may practice today. But if he doesn't play, it's are defense that needs to step it up.

Whodis
12-16-2011, 07:18 AM
I would much rather see Dixon over Batch. Batch has looked lost out there.

Kanata-Steeler
12-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Batch is tougher, and more experienced than Dixon, and if our Running game is 100% ready, then Batch will help win it for us.
Dixon is ok too, if you like a firecracker up your azz, and hope it doesn't blow up in your face. 49'ers are gonna bring pressure all day, Dixon may be too much of a loose canon.
It's hard to say.
however, Batch did win the first 3 of 4 games for us last year, when Ben was out for 4 on his own suspension.
I would use both situationally, just to keep their Defense honest :)

SoCalFan
12-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Only way Batch could win this game is IF the running game could get rolling. Hes NOT going to sit back there and pick this niners D apart! Cmon man, who are we kidding, Ben will not miss this game!!!

TRH
12-16-2011, 11:44 AM
i honestly don't count on Batch to win games. As long as he doesn't make mistakes that hurt the team, we could win. But with Batch in there we'll have to find other ways to win as a team.

I second that.
Batch is good as a "think" man holding the clipboard on the sidelines, but he's f-in terrible out on the field.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
well, we have all seen Batch run, so for them to say he is running with the first team is a stretch, lol. More like walking and working with them, lol We need to run or walk lol quick slants with Batch, spread them wide and work it in quick and let Wallace and Brown break a 10 year pass into 50.

I wish they wouldve tossed Dixon in there hard, Batch is a big time stretch imo.

dixon would've beaten the Ravens if Arians wouldve kept on with the options, but he didn't

wera176
12-16-2011, 12:24 PM
I really think we are being unfair if we are judging Batch just based on his play FOR 1 SERIES against the Brownies. He sure didn't look good, but I doubt he even took many, if any, snaps with the starting offense during that week. One play you are watching Ben and the next play you are under center... Yes, that's his job, but to expect him to come out and not be rusty, etc, is unfair.

Cripes, we've seen Ben struggle for entire games before.

I'd rather have Ben in there, but Batch isn't that bad. He's probably not much worse than the start on the 49ers! :drink:

Fire Arians
12-16-2011, 12:39 PM
batch always came through when he was called on. he will be fine if he has to start

steelax04
12-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I think the defense is going to have to win this game. If Batch is playing, I'm hoping for at least 17 points from turnovers - 1 pick six (or fumble) and the rest giving us good field position for another TD and FG.

Fire Arians
12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
why are people so down on batch? you'd think by the attitude of this board we're starting jake delhomme at qb or something

soulkitchen
12-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Batch is one of the better back-ups in the league. He has done it in the past when called on last year and 2005 in green bay. I don't think he is going to light the world on fire, but he can win this game.

ricardisimo
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
why are people so down on batch? you'd think by the attitude of this board we're starting jake delhomme at qb or something
Well, one the minus side, Jake Delhomme would throw four picks in the first half and lose the game for us; on the plus side, Delhomme would actually make it through the entire game, and not fracture his collarbone in three places just lacing up his cleats.

I will be positively stunned if Batch makes it through this game. There is a reason why Dixon is still on this team, and I'm not sure it's talent.

SunshineMan21
12-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Batch played fine last year--let's give the guy a chance. Who doesn't like Charlie Batch?

Fire Arians
12-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Well, one the minus side, Jake Delhomme would throw four picks in the first half and lose the game for us; on the plus side, Delhomme would actually make it through the entire game, and not fracture his collarbone in three places just lacing up his cleats.

I will be positively stunned if Batch makes it through this game. There is a reason why Dixon is still on this team, and I'm not sure it's talent.

well, last season it was both dixon and leftwich that couldn't stay healthy. batch went up against the then-undefeated bucs and then to play the ravens a week later (who are more physical than SF) and finished out both games. give him some credit, i think he's getting some unfair flack lately. if anyone is made out of glass it's leftwich

MACH1
12-16-2011, 04:14 PM
If Dixon is so great why can't he beat out the "old brittle slow moving dinosaur" Batch for the 2nd qb slot?

Dixon has been here four years and has shown more regression than improvement at the qb position.

ETL
12-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I say lets do what we did against NE which was basically a west coast type offense with short ball-control passes.

I don't want to rely on Batch to extend plays. He needs to make quick throws; screens to wallace and antonio brown and try to let the athleticism of our WRs come out.

steelfury02
12-16-2011, 09:14 PM
running game has to get going - not that I'm completely down on Batch, but what chemistry does he have with any of the receivers? To run a west-coast offense you have to have the presence to stand tall and move up in the pocket. Batch has tunnel vision when it comes to pressure so not sure he can adjust. Even Aaron Rodger or Brady has to move a little - Batch just wants the luxury of dropping back, setting, throwing.

Yes - it was only one series - but 1 week of practice doesn't mean leaps and bounds. He also didn't have to start out so rusty, on the road, at the end of the season with this much pressure to keep us on the path. It is a completely different situation.

We'll see - quite a pickle we have. We need to be able to move the ball. If they completely stop the run we are screwed.