PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's Appeal

Bayz101
12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
James Harrison's appeal of a one game suspension has been upheld, as announced by the NFL network.

Buddha Bus
12-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Stunning development. :coffee:

Was there ever any doubt?

desertsteel
12-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm shocked!

TRH
12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
What??!? OMG......really??? Can't be true...

Seriously......WHAT appeal? The "appeal" process in the dictatorship-run NFL is a complete joke....a waste of time. The "decision makers" on both the NFL side and the players side are going to do nothing but kiss the establishments a** and hold on to their own jobs.
Appeal process. You can put that down with the "new rules" of the game and Roger Goodell himself as the biggest jokes in the entire sport. Its actually not a laughing matter though, as all these things are ruining the game.

Opt2loc
12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
He shouldn't have even bothered. There was no way he was going to win.

TRH
12-16-2011, 11:46 AM
He shouldn't have even bothered. There was no way he was going to win.

Thats right. Then why don't the NFL "man" up and just publicly say they're doing away with the appeal process?
They won't because its a "union necessity". Even though its worthless, not even worth a blank piece of paper.

Opt2loc
12-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Thats right. Then why don't the NFL "man" up and just publicly say they're doing away with the appeal process?
They won't because its a "union necessity". Even though its worthless, not even worth a blank piece of paper.

Exactly, the appeal process is a joke. Even if a player appeals and they lower a suspension from 2 games to 1, just give him 1 game in the first place and call it a day.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I really would like to hear the arguments. The evidence of what James seen, versus what the appeal guy says he seen.

Not like it matters, but at least the process would be explained on what everyone seen and why the guy felt the suspension was justified when the refs didnt call a shot to head and so on. Its like bog brother is watching the games on some plays and even when their is no call away from the ball these guys can get fined.

The PA and the teams did so well in giving the NFL carte Blanche to fine and suspend whoever they want, for whatever they want.

Opt2loc
12-16-2011, 12:05 PM
I never hear of refs getting suspended for bad calls that change the outcome of a game. I think they just give them a low score which affects if they get to work the playoffs and SB.

Bayz101
12-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Lol. Just figured ya'll would be interested in the judgment.

Bayz101
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Not that the final "ruling" was ever in question, lol.

ricardisimo
12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
I never hear of refs getting suspended for bad calls that change the outcome of a game. I think they just give them a low score which affects if they get to work the playoffs and SB.
Or coaches, or owners, or Goodell himself (for committing major fraud in his previous TV negotiations to screw the union; and for leading his league into an unnecessary, meaningless, costly lockout)... Spygate was an aberration. Other than that one incident this is a top-down league; consequences are for players, not brass.

Fire Arians
12-16-2011, 03:21 PM
did anyone expect anything else? i already knew it got rejected before even clicking on this thread

Steelersfan87
12-16-2011, 04:05 PM
There's a world of difference between smashing a guy in the face and making a bad call as a referee. You guys aren't serious are you? It's one thing if there's some type of tampering or collusion involved, but a referee just making a bad call isn't exactly deserving of a fine.

Bayz101
12-16-2011, 05:16 PM
There's a world of difference between smashing a guy in the face and making a bad call as a referee. You guys aren't serious are you? It's one thing if there's some type of tampering or collusion involved, but a referee just making a bad call isn't exactly deserving of a fine.

I understand mistakes happen. But a bad call is a mistake, just as an illegal hit. Your paid to do your job, and if you don't, you deserve to suffer any consequences dished out. Harrison will serve this suspension, and yes, referees should be punished in some way, shape or form for making bad calls. They're paid to get it right.

Steelersfan87
12-16-2011, 05:52 PM
You falsely assume that referees have no accountability for their performance just because they don't get "fines" and "suspensions".

Bayz101
12-16-2011, 06:10 PM
You falsely assume that referees have no accountability for their performance just because they don't get "fines" and "suspensions".

This is a discussion board, and we'll all have our own opinions. I'll stand by mine, you can stand by yours. But don't tell me what's right and wrong. I wasn't born yesterday.

:wave:

TRH
12-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quite true. I think we've seen the worst officiating in YEARS across the board (it's not only Pittsburgh fans complaining anymore...)...yet there's almost zero reprecussions or accountability from the "refs" (and its so bad now i use that term very loosely..).
I think the rules are so unclear and punishment is not fairly distributed anymore that even the refs have no idea what to do much of the time.

Steelersfan87
12-16-2011, 08:19 PM
This is a discussion board, and we'll all have our own opinions. I'll stand by mine, you can stand by yours. But don't tell me what's right and wrong. I wasn't born yesterday.

If you think that referees are not held accountable in any way for poor performance, then I am telling you that you are wrong.

SteelCityMom
12-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Well, to be fair, the accountability of the refs is different than the accountability of the players.

They are not full time employees. Many of them own their own businesses, or are successful in other jobs. Being an NFL ref is a side project for most of them. The consequences of not being a consistent or good ref are either reffing less games (or less important games), getting a smaller salary, or not being a ref any more. It's not directly tied to their main livelyhood though (like an NBA or NHL ref is). Therefore, I feel they don't care as much about "getting it right".

Steelersfan87
12-16-2011, 08:39 PM
The actions they're being held accountable for are also very different. A referee blowing a big call is like a wide receiver dropping a wide open touchdown, and quite unlike stomping on somebody's arm and slamming his head into the turf. I don't recall Stevie Johnson being fined for dropping the ball in overtime against the Steelers. To be honest, it's just a really bad comparison and the fact that punishment for referees was even brought up just suggests that people are really grasping at straws at this point to defend the punishment that players on their favorite sports team receive. You (general you) think a referee or coach wouldn't be fined, fired, or suspended if they tried to interfere with a game, by tripping somebody, for example?

ricardisimo
12-16-2011, 11:32 PM
The actions they're being held accountable for are also very different. A referee blowing a big call is like a wide receiver dropping a wide open touchdown, and quite unlike stomping on somebody's arm and slamming his head into the turf. I don't recall Stevie Johnson being fined for dropping the ball in overtime against the Steelers. To be honest, it's just a really bad comparison and the fact that punishment for referees was even brought up just suggests that people are really grasping at straws at this point to defend the punishment that players on their favorite sports team receive. You (general you) think a referee or coach wouldn't be fined, fired, or suspended if they tried to interfere with a game, by tripping somebody, for example?
How about a head coach putting a concussed quarterback into a game two minutes after James Harrison flattened him? Will he get fined or suspended? Perhaps not so curiously, Pat Shurmur's actions were not being investigated at all until the union lodged a complaint, and his dad made headlines. Goodell would have let it go completely.

Steelersfan87
12-17-2011, 12:04 AM
I think that's a pretty big assumption to make, but regardless, time will tell whether anything comes out of that. I certainly believe something should be done in that matter.

Bayz101
12-17-2011, 01:33 AM
How about a head coach putting a concussed quarterback into a game two minutes after James Harrison flattened him? Will he get fined or suspended? Perhaps not so curiously, Pat Shurmur's actions were not being investigated at all until the union lodged a complaint, and his dad made headlines. Goodell would have let it go completely.

The media amplifies on field incidents, and if it wasn't for that, Goodell would be lost.

Bayz101
12-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Unless of course it's a Steeler involved. The spotlights already in place there.