PDA

View Full Version : how good is Pouncey?

Grav
12-17-2011, 04:22 PM
First off from UK so take it easy ha! Cant say i Know much about the play of Pouncey this year but what are your guys take on him this season? How well has he played?

tanda10506
12-17-2011, 05:48 PM
IMO he had the best rookie season for an offensive lineman that I've ever seen. There's a lot more to being a center than any other O line spot. This year he has played well, he's missed a few blocks but a lot of his errors were caused by him having to try to block 2 or 3 guys since Jonathan Scott couldn't block anybody. IMO he's been great this year and continue to improve. Top 5 center, at least.

Steelersfan87
12-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I think there's no question really that he's overrated. Those sites like pro football focus and football outsiders certainly think so. I don't always agree with the way that they 'judge' players, but I think they are right about Pouncey. He's probably in the top 10 as far as centers go right now, but he's not an all-pro.

Bayz101
12-17-2011, 08:43 PM
I have watched him grab 2 lineman all by his self this year, and several times last year. He's built well, strong and a pro-bowler. I don't think he's overrated.

MasterOfPuppets
12-17-2011, 09:11 PM
anyone heard anything about his brother ?

tanda10506
12-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I've seen it too. He's not overrated at all.

Bayz101
12-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I've seen it too. He's not overrated at all.

He's a Steeler. :tt02:

steeltheone
12-18-2011, 12:26 AM
He is good, and will only get better...Be honest though, no rookie center should be a pro bowler.

Bayz101
12-18-2011, 12:46 AM
He is good, and will only get better...Be honest though, no rookie center should be a pro bowler.

Well, the Pro Bowl is for players who play at the highest level, and Pouncey happened to be one of those players. The center isn't exactly the strongest talent point right now in the NFL, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pouncey gets the Pro Bowl again this year.

Steelersfan87
12-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Pouncey is being swept into the Pro Bowl this year on reputation alone, and I don't think he's earned it this year. From the AFC alone, Nick Mangold, Alex Mack, Chris Myers, and his own brother are better centers, as well as Matt Birk, who has had injury issues this year (although, so has Mangold). Here's an article to help myopic Steeler fans get a better sense of perspective. It was a hard pill for me to swallow at first when I realized that Pouncey only looks all-world in comparison to the line play we've been used to for the past half a decade, but then I actually started paying attention to other centers and...well, he may be more athletic than most centers, but that doesn't make him better.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/03/stories-of-the-season-taking-center-stage/
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/17/fighting-the-fan-vote/

steeltheone
12-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Just saying, that if any rookie can be the best in their first year, that cheapens the product. The NFL is the best of the best.