PDA

View Full Version : Rest the starters

Fire Arians
12-19-2011, 11:55 PM
We are already in the playoffs, we can't win at home with all these injuries. Get the team healthy and try a run on the road, thats our best bet.

Baltimore won't lose another game this regular season, this was our chance to do it and we didn't get it done.

casteeler
12-19-2011, 11:59 PM
This team doesn't belong in the playoffs. We couldn't run the ball with 10 guys on the line and the defense has shown how porous it is against a quality team. This is Pathetic

Fire Arians
12-20-2011, 12:00 AM
This team doesn't belong in the playoffs. We couldn't run the ball with 10 guys on the line and the defense has shown how porous it is against a quality team. This is Pathetic

We lost because BEN isn't ready to play. To be honest I thought the team wasn't playing bad minus farrior and Ben. He isn't the same with that bum ankle, he needs to sit. If he can't get healthy come playoff time the season is over

casteeler
12-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Ben has nothing to do with the defense

stlrnhwk
12-20-2011, 12:04 AM
What's wrong with the D? They've really only given up 13 points, if that, the offense has continually put them in horrible positions with 3 turnovers. They held that last drive if not for a horrible call on Timmons on that field goal. At worst it should be 16-3.

I think ben shouldn't have played, not that Dixon on anyone else would have allowed us to score more, i just think it's more important for us to have him healthy for the playoffs.

Fire Arians
12-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Having an offense that is constantly stalling did nothing to help the D, they hung tough for a while, the offense still needs to do their part. All I'm saying is winning out won't improve our playoff seeding, but I still like our chances if making a run if we can get healthy, mostly ben's ankle

ZoneBlitzer
12-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Rest all the key starters. Ben especially. Get him out of there. He's playing terrible ball right now.

FightFan27
12-20-2011, 12:10 AM
they will be resting soon enough after the first playoff game

ZoneBlitzer
12-20-2011, 12:14 AM
they will be resting soon enough after the first playoff game

I can see one and done as well. It's the offense. It stinks. It has stunk for some time now. Injury or no injury to Ben, it stinks. The offense struggles mightily to put up 2 TDs - 3 TDs is extraordinary for them. The offense has a pattern of looking good early and then stalling like a jalopy throughout the rest of the game. It has been a year-long problem. The look promising but don't deliver. I don't blame the D. The D has carried this team for years. It's time the high-priced talent deliver on offense. Also Ben has got to stop turning the ball over. It will end up killing this team.

Fire Arians
12-20-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't see one and done unless our first game is Baltimore or NE, those are the only teams I'm worried about

jjpro11
12-20-2011, 12:32 AM
I don't see one and done unless our first game is Baltimore or NE, those are the only teams I'm worried about

this team has been way too inconsistent on the road.. a loss to Denver, Oakland, or San Diego would not surprise me.

Steel_Bus_24
12-20-2011, 12:33 AM
this team has been way too inconsistent on the road.. a loss to Denver, Oakland, or San Diego would not surprise me.

Especially if Ben has to hobble around like that for much longer

rocckbottomxmen
12-20-2011, 12:34 AM
We are already in the playoffs, we can't win at home with all these injuries. Get the team healthy and try a run on the road, thats our best bet.

Baltimore won't lose another game this regular season, this was our chance to do it and we didn't get it done.

NO the the ravens remaining games are not cake walks so we still might have a chance

jjpro11
12-20-2011, 12:35 AM
NO the the ravens remaining games are not cake walks so we still might have a chance

even if we end up winning the division, we all but lost the 1st round bye.. the #1 seed is now New England's to lose. we would need Houston and Baltimore to lose again to get a bye.. we had our chance.. the cards all fell into place and we blew it.

Kanata-Steeler
12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
We lost because BEN isn't ready to play. To be honest I thought the team wasn't playing bad minus farrior and Ben. He isn't the same with that bum ankle, he needs to sit. If he can't get healthy come playoff time the season is over

Thats why I still can't believe they (meaning ROONEY and TOMLIN ultimately) would even play their #1 star QB, endangering him at this point of the season.
We were lucky that Ben didn't get an "end-of-season" injury on that same ankle.
Ben should have rested and got healthy again.

ggoldman
12-20-2011, 12:40 AM
How could we not get pressure on the most sacked QB in the league

rocckbottomxmen
12-20-2011, 12:42 AM
even if we end up winning the division, we all but lost the 1st round bye.. the #1 seed is now New England's to lose. we would need Houston and Baltimore to lose again to get a bye.. we had our chance.. the cards all fell into place and we blew it.

oh houston will lose again believe that. And you all seem to lack faith in the steelers ability on the road. The playoffs come we will see a different team on the rd. The only rd game that would concern me would be the patriots. But I still see them doing that in a shootout

ggoldman
12-20-2011, 12:45 AM
We need to stop letting Farrior cover TE's, he got burned in the Texans game, and he also got burned in this game

tanda10506
12-20-2011, 12:56 AM
The defense has played okay. They generally have done well keeping points off the board, but the pass rush has been poor in all but a few games and we don't get off the field on third down. Also they don't get ANY yurnovers. The defense would be good enough to win it all if the offense would play up to at least most of it's potential. I know the pass D is statistically good, but realistically for all the talent and big contracts on the defense, they are underachieving. The FO really needs to hold Tomlin more accountable. We have arguabally the best group of receivers in football, a great TE, an O line that had been playing well anf one of the best QB's in football and our offense is STILL mediocre. Every year it's mediocre at best. A lot of it is on Arians but it's not just him, the boss of Arians and the entire offense is Tomlin. This is the only team that I've seen with the talent and potential to beat anybody but the play calling and half assing ability to beat nobody, this year I just don't think they have it.

ZoneBlitzer
12-20-2011, 01:03 AM
The defense has played okay. They generally have done well keeping points off the board, but the pass rush has been poor in all but a few games and we don't get off the field on third down. Also they don't get ANY yurnovers. The defense would be good enough to win it all if the offense would play up to at least most of it's potential. I know the pass D is statistically good, but realistically for all the talent and big contracts on the defense, they are underachieving. The FO really needs to hold Tomlin more accountable. We have arguabally the best group of receivers in football, a great TE, an O line that had been playing well anf one of the best QB's in football and our offense is STILL mediocre. Every year it's mediocre at best. A lot of it is on Arians but it's not just him, the boss of Arians and the entire offense is Tomlin. This is the only team that I've seen with the talent and potential to beat anybody but the play calling and half assing ability to beat nobody, this year I just don't think they have it.

Right on. I agree with the accountability on offense. And I think that has start with Ben. Careless turnovers in the red zone should be unacceptable. I think the O hasn't played up to its potential all year long. In fact, if you wind back the clock, you'll see an O that has struggled to put teams away for a long time now. Ask yourself where would this offense be without the defense that they've had over the last few years? They would be lost. They struggle with consistency and that is why they are forced to go into the no-huddle. The reason that the no-huddle emerges is because their conventional offense cannot get it done for 4 quarters. Teams seem to figure them out or they shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers. The freaking turnovers have got to stop - NOW. Not only are they not getting any turnovers, they are compounding the TO differential by giving the bloody ball away. Tomlin has got to chew Ben out. The blank cheque has to be torn up. The guy is a leader and yeah, I get it, he takes a pounding blah blah but he should know better than anyone not to throw into triple coverage down the seam in the red zone on a bum leg and with a broken thumb. If Ben would just take what the defense gave him on occasion, this offense could be awesome.

stb_steeler
12-20-2011, 01:09 AM
How could we not get pressure on the most sacked QB in the league

I was thinking the same thing...whats that say about the D then?

steelerchad
12-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Those early picks hurt us big time. both of those would have been early points for us and they ended up with FG's on both. Our D played OK, but couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. This allowed the 49ers to flip the field position. Ben wasn't sharp enough with the injury to take us the entire length tonight.

Bad clock management at halftime. A lot of little things that we didn't get points and gave them some.

No pressure, too big of cushions on 3rd and long.

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Having an offense that is constantly stalling did nothing to help the D, they hung tough for a while, the offense still needs to do their part. All I'm saying is winning out won't improve our playoff seeding, but I still like our chances if making a run if we can get healthy, mostly ben's ankle

I agree with everything stated here, but i'm not sold on sitting the starters. I don't know why, i'm just not their yet.

tony hipchest
12-20-2011, 01:57 AM

why do people have so much faith in baltimore? if we throw in the towel now, they will gain confidence. if we continue to fight, they will choke like they always do.

thats what they do and who they are.

even with batch, im pretty sure we will win the remaining 2 and baltimore and texans lose another.

:tt02:

JCPsteelers
12-20-2011, 02:05 AM
There's only 53 players and half of them are defensive players. This isn't like college where you have 90 man rosters where you can play the 2nd team. If guys are healthy they are going to play..

Fire Arians
12-20-2011, 02:32 PM
why do people have so much faith in baltimore? if we throw in the towel now, they will gain confidence. if we continue to fight, they will choke like they always do.

thats what they do and who they are.

even with batch, im pretty sure we will win the remaining 2 and baltimore and texans lose another.

:tt02:

well they certanly aren't going to lose to the browns at home. of course 'that's why they play the game', but that would be like a 1 in 20 scenario, very unlikely.

Of course, they might lose to the bengals who would be fighting for playoff life in the final game of the season at home. However, we're playing the rams at home next. If we can't win that one even with batch sitting, then it just isn't our year. We should be able to beat St. Louis with the practice squad. Ben's health is the #1 issue and we will need him healthy to have a shot. If he's just as hobbled as he was yesterday walking into the playoffs, we have no shot at a championship, whether we have homefield or not.

DanRooney
12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I was thinking the same thing...whats that say about the D then?

That Woodley wasn't 100 percent and the pass rush revolves around James Harrison.

Oh and the awesome Jason Worilds wasn't so awesome.

Fire Arians
12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
james harrison is the best 3-4 OLB in the league. you can't fully replace someone like that

plenewken
12-20-2011, 04:35 PM

The Steelers have proven time and time again that they can beat any team and lose to any team. The game in Cleveland won't be a cakewalk.

SoCalFan
12-20-2011, 10:06 PM
This team historically has played its best with its backs against the wall! Being a Steeler fan I would think you are used to this! I would def sit Ben and anyone with an injury! Go in as a wildcard at full strength!

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 11:30 PM
This team historically has played its best with its backs against the wall! Being a Steeler fan I would think you are used to this! I would def sit Ben and anyone with an injury! Go in as a wildcard at full strength!

We we're performing before our bye-week than after it, and we still haven't exactly recovered. It seems that the more rest we get the more out of sync we become. But at the same time, things happen during the course of the season from injuries to suspensions, and all that has happened to us.

We need to play one more game, and it needs to be played well in every phase of the game. Woodley and Harrison will need to play, and we'll need to hope Woodley's injury doesn't play a factor, and Harrison came hide from Goodell.