PDA

View Full Version : Leaping???? Really...

NateDog07V
12-19-2011, 10:59 PM
So apparently one of the refs bet the house on the under and paid off some idiot to sabotage a few transformers and then decided to call a "leaping" penalty to make it a three score game..... well part of that might be false but really... leaping???

stlrnhwk
12-19-2011, 11:01 PM
horrible call, makes it a 3 possession game.

NateDog07V
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
now a clear cut "chop block"..... i never complain about the refs but this is ridiculous

tanda10506
12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
The worst officiating I have seen this year. Every year officiating gets worse and it will continue to until there are consequences for poor and obviously biased officiating.

ZoneBlitzer
12-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Ah what's the difference. The O couldn't do diddly squat.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Refs were horrendous.

Doesnt give us an excuse for playing like sh!t though.

Oline was the worst I have ever seen an oline play.

Steel_Bus_24
12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I was just going to accept this loss and move on, but that F***ing flag just sent me into a profanity filled rant that I was well on my way to avoiding

Im not taking anything away from the 9ers, they exploited our injuries and made us play on their terms...and deserved the win

but that f***ing call by the refs was the epitome of suck, and is why Steelers fans bitch about BS like that......only difference is the media/Goodell make us out to be thugs/babies when we call them on the crap their shoveling

Bayz101
12-19-2011, 11:41 PM

Greatest post today. Absolutely 100% right.

TRH
12-19-2011, 11:41 PM
The ref's are findng new ways to try and keep us down.
You can't tell me.....even if your'e a Ravens or Browns fan lurking in here.....that penalty gets called on ANY team in the NFL. No way.
Its as if they were reading obsure passages in the book to throw at us. That was outrageous. Hell, why didn't we just let them play 12 while we played 11?

JCPsteelers
12-20-2011, 01:12 AM
what the hell were the officials calling those chop blocks. Both teams got a chop block call that were jokes. Where do they find these officials?

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 01:25 AM
I have looked and looked. I CANNOT find anything on this "Leaping" penalty. Are they making this up as they go???

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 01:27 AM
what the hell were the officials calling those chop blocks. Both teams got a chop block call that were jokes. Where do they find these officials?

Yeah, I saw that too. Refs must have taken the outage as a chance to light one up because they we're way the hell in space with their calls.

NoFieldFive
12-20-2011, 01:45 AM
the NFL channel has one of their 'top 10' shows on the worst calls in NFL history. one of them was a leaping call in an important game. think it was a playoff game.

ricardisimo
12-20-2011, 01:49 AM
I have looked and looked. I CANNOT find anything on this "Leaping" penalty. Are they making this up as they go???
From the official NFL Rulebook (http://www.nfl.com/rulebook):
Section 3 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct
LEAPING
(r) Clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal, or Try-kick after touchdown and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 01:56 AM
From the official NFL Rulebook (http://www.nfl.com/rulebook):
Section 3 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct
LEAPING
(r) Clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal, or Try-kick after touchdown and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

:banging:

plenewken
12-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Leaping was the right call. It's a stupid rule but it is what it is.

"Rule 12, section three, article two calls for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on a player "clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try-kick after touchdown and landing on players unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped."

ricardisimo
12-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Stupid or not, neither this call nor the collection of bad and questionable calls all game long changed the outcome. We lost this game in every way imaginable.

ggoldman
12-20-2011, 05:57 AM
that punt catch interference call was BULL. Keenan was fighting with a blocker, and the blocker touched the ball first

plenewken
12-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Stupid or not, neither this call nor the collection of bad and questionable calls all game long changed the outcome. We lost this game in every way imaginable.

I agree, We were outplayed and outcoached. Not a surprise to me. I wrote several weeks ago that the Steelers will lose in SFO.

Eztarget
12-20-2011, 07:17 AM
That stupid call cost me my FF championship, literally. I was leading by 3 points and he had Frank Gore. If they leave the FG on the board and the 49ers take Gore out (like they did anyhow) I win.

F U umpire and that horrible call.

As for the game Ben should not have been playing. Seeding means crap just like at us in 2005, the Giants in 2007 and the Packers last year. Ben should have been back in Pittsburgh resting his ankle for the real games in 3 weeks.

TRH
12-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Leaping. Unbelieveable. NO WAY that penalty gets called on anyone else in the league. Period. And you all know it.
What's becoming apparent to me is this : The refs are no longer calling games the way they used to, its as if they are trying to "impress" the league office and keep their jobs. No different than employees you and me have worked with that do the same thing.
Leaping. I don't even know what else to say.

I also watched that punt over and over. That was a bang-bang play and wasn't intentional either. That shouldn't have been called. And again, i believe, no way that gets called on any other team.

Hard to win games when you play like sh** and you have to play the opposing teams + refs at the same time.

fortmemphis
12-20-2011, 08:12 AM
The worst officiating I have seen this year. Every year officiating gets worse and it will continue to until there are consequences for poor and obviously biased officiating.

one thing I do know, the refs are just about never going to call Pass Interference on any defenders covering Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace or Heath Miller.

There were several times that the SF defender got to the receiver before the ball got there. One time, the SF defender had his left arm around the waist of our receiver but NEVER any call.

So if there isnt going to be an PI called on the defense we are playing against and if we are going to give SF the ball 4 freaking times--count em 4, no way we are going to beat anybody.

fortmemphis
12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Leaping. Unbelieveable. NO WAY that penalty gets called on anyone else in the league. Period. And you all know it.
What's becoming apparent to me is this : The refs are no longer calling games the way they used to, its as if they are trying to "impress" the league office and keep their jobs. No different than employees you and me have worked with that do the same thing.
Leaping. I don't even know what else to say.

I also watched that punt over and over. That was a bang-bang play and wasn't intentional either. That shouldn't have been called. And again, i believe, no way that gets called on any other team.

Hard to win games when you play like sh** and you have to play the opposing teams + refs at the same time.

Leaping to try and block a kick--wow, we cant even do that . That was amazing. And the punt catch/fumble......well, Lewis knocked the SF guy into the guy fielding the punt, but I must admit, Lewis's left arm seemed to hit the receiver and Lewis isnt supposed to be within a certain distance of him. It was a long shot to think they wouldnt call that, but it certainly was a bang bang play and was really really close to just being Lewis knocking the blocker into his own man.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Again goodell is just trying to be safe out there. Come on guys see through the rule and look at the player safety.

If Goodell can limit people from jumping in the games he will cut down on the ankle sprains. Think about it, 200 and 400 pound men jumping, thats a lot of wear and tear on the bones. The more we can cage up these animals the safer they will be. there is no reason for anyone to jump in the NFL.

Lewis's call was fair in my opnion, but he did get tied up with the blocker but Lweis was still in the space.

Ref's didnt do a go job in this game, we had some pass interference calls on wallace that were never called.

IowaSteeler927
12-20-2011, 09:08 AM
It was Walt Coleman and his officiating crew. Poor officiating is to be expected. He has a track record of poor officiating and nothing ever seems to get done about it.

zsheik22
12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
This is funny because...

I was reading the SF forums. Every single team in the NFL thinks they are being screwed by the refs and the team they are playing has goodell on their side. Drop the theories, it's just bad officiating. The Steelers get their fair share of lucky calls and then obviously we get the shaft sometimes too. Thats the way it works.

The interference call was odd... they are supposed to be given room to make the catch, but then WTF are you supposed to do if a blocker is standing right in front of the guy who's getting the ball and has NOT signaled for a fair catch?!?!?! That rule needs amended. It's a good rule, but it was a load of crap in that situation.

We just didnt show up. Oh well. All you need to do is make the playoffs. It always seems to me the harder the road in the playoffs, the better you do. Look at when we won our SB's. Was not an easy path.

SteelWolf62
12-20-2011, 10:43 AM

What he said.

stiller39
12-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Leaping is actually very popular is San Fran bar scene.

smheart78
12-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Lewis's call was fair in my opnion, but he did get tied up with the blocker but Lweis was still in the space.

Ref's didnt do a go job in this game, we had some pass interference calls on wallace that were never called.

I don't feel it was a fair call, but that's just my opinion. I tried to find some highlights of the play but, from what I can recall from the 1/2 dozen slow-mo replays is that the ball touched the 49ers blocker before it reached the receiver, who was standing still. The rules copied from NFL.com are as follows:
Rule 10 Opportunity to Catch a Kick, Fair Catch
Section 1 Opportunity to Catch a Kick
INTERFERENCE
Article 1
During a scrimmage kick that crosses the line of scrimmage, or during a free kick, members of the kicking team are prohibited from interfering with any receiver making an attempt to catch the airborne kick, or from obstructing or hindering his path to the airborne kick, and regardless of whether any signal was given.
It goes on to define what constitutes interference...
Item 1: Contact with Receiver.
It is interference if a player of the kicking team contacts the receiver, or causes a passive player of either team to contact the receiver, before or simultaneous to his touching the ball.
Item 2: Right of Way.
A receiver who is moving toward a kicked ball that is in flight has the right of way. If opponents obstruct his path to the ball, or cause a passive player of either team to obstruct his path, it is interference, even if there is no contact, or if he catches the ball in spite of the interference, and regardless of whether any signal was given.
Penalties:
(a) For interference with the opportunity to make a catch when a prior signal has not been
made: Loss of 15 yards from the spot of the foul, and the offended team is entitled to put the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage. See 4-8-2-g.
(b) For interfering with a fair catch after a signal: Loss of 15 yards from the spot of the foul. A fair catch is awarded even if the ball is not caught.

Based on my understanding of the rules, the fact that the blocker touched the ball first (whether or not Lewis made him touch the ball) makes the ball a live ball.. Lewis is allowed to do anything to the blocker except run him into the reciever or the receivers path. The blocker, at best, was ran into the ball, although the blocker was not forced to bring up his arm that touched the ball by Lewis. The receivers path was not interupted. Also, there's nothing that specifically states that there is a "boundary" circle around a receiver. It is my understanding that contact and interference is towards the receiver, not the ball.
I am open to other opinions on this, but I feel that this was, or could have been, a HUGE momentum shift for the steelers at an important time in the game deep inside their territory.
None of this dismisses that the 49ers outplayed us and deserved to win the game in the end.

StainlessStill
12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
That leaping call isn't the only thing that gets me fired up against Lawrence Timmons.

This dude is turning into Alonzo Jackson all over again! Couldn't COUNT how many times he was out of position and completely flopping and flailing at our inside linebacker spot. Timmons is constantly out of the play and very rarely EVER does anything. He's also a f*cking p*ssy at pass-rushing. Never have I seen the guy run THROUGH a running back on a blitz. So disappointed with #94's performance this year, was expecting big things. He's simply invisible.

tony hipchest
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Leaping was the right call. It's a stupid rule but it is what it is.

"Rule 12, section three, article two calls for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on a player "clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try-kick after touchdown and landing on players unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped."

he didnt land on anybody, let alone "players" therefore is was another shitty call by the frefs amongst many (both for and against us).

officiating has steadilly and consistantly gone downhill ever since goodell took over. theis is by far the worst year ever in ALL GAMES.

when you have refs constantly looking to players and coaches before they throw a flag, you know you have a problem.

TRH
12-20-2011, 02:44 PM
That leaping call isn't the only thing that gets me fired up against Lawrence Timmons.

This dude is turning into Alonzo Jackson all over again! Couldn't COUNT how many times he was out of position and completely flopping and flailing at our inside linebacker spot. Timmons is constantly out of the play and very rarely EVER does anything. He's also a f*cking p*ssy at pass-rushing. Never have I seen the guy run THROUGH a running back on a blitz. So disappointed with #94's performance this year, was expecting big things. He's simply invisible.

ya know what, i hear ya. What the HELL has happened to Timmons? He was on his way to a break-out superstar career...this should have been his year...and he hasn't done NOTHIN'. NO game changing plays, no nothing. Shit, Harrison, when he plays is half-injured and makes game changing plays all day long.
It's like Timmons is now playing with 1/4 of a brain. He's doing nothing to be a game-changer.

smheart78
12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
....still thinking about the 15 yard interference call, can't get it out of my head as it was possibly a game changing play...
I saw Tomlin discussing with the official after the play and I am wondering whether he was told he could not challenge the play. Reason being that he cannot challenge a penalty....But couldn't he challenge whether or not the ball was touched by the 49ers player or not? If upheld, would this overrule the penalty? I feel amaturish asking this...What do you guys think?

jjpro11
12-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Harbaugh bought that call because he cried and whined earlier in the game.. maybe Tomlin needs to start whining like the Harbaughs.. at least they are getting the calls.

StainlessStill
12-20-2011, 03:56 PM
The play nobody wants to talk about that was ABSOLUTE HORSEHIT was that fumble on the punt return by the 9'ers. That ball hit his blockers arm before our guy (can't remember who it was) was going through that block with NO fair catch! I thought that call really f*cked us in the ass, excuse my language. I'm pissed.

fer522
12-20-2011, 04:00 PM
refs or not they kicked our ass

jjpro11
12-20-2011, 04:07 PM
refs or not they kicked our ass

definitely.. but it was just another typical piss poor reffed game. pretty sad when NFL refs don't know what a chop block is.

ricardisimo
12-20-2011, 05:38 PM
The play nobody wants to talk about that was ABSOLUTE HORSEHIT was that fumble on the punt return by the 9'ers. That ball hit his blockers arm before our guy (can't remember who it was) was going through that block with NO fair catch! I thought that call really f*cked us in the ass, excuse my language. I'm pissed.

People have talked about it, and it might suck for us, but it was a good call. It's in the rules. Look it up.

And no, it wasn't a game-changer. Three picks and a fumble by Ben, along with an unbelievably bad offensive game plan from Arians were the game-changers.

StainlessStill
12-20-2011, 06:05 PM
People have talked about it, and it might suck for us, but it was a good call. It's in the rules. Look it up.

And no, it wasn't a game-changer. Three picks and a fumble by Ben, along with an unbelievably bad offensive game plan from Arians were the game-changers.

Even with Ben's two interceptions early, the game was 6-3 at one point. The game changer was that deep throw to Davis that gave the 9'ers offense a much needed spark. Another game changer was the leap from Timmons. That made it three possession.