PDA

View Full Version : OUT COACHED

madtowndrunkard
12-20-2011, 12:46 AM
We lost this game before it ever started.

Yea Ben was bad...yea the O-line fell apart in the 4th quarter. But lets be honest... the game was over before it started. It was pretty clear Harbaugh out coached us. Now I know what all those teams feel like after Bill Cowher bent them over all those years.... we were beaten with less talent. It's hard to watch...but you really can't deny it... Harbaugh bent Mike Tomlin over his knee and spanked him.

horrible.

ggoldman
12-20-2011, 12:48 AM
its hard to win when your average starting position is at the 13 yard line.

TRH
12-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Boy, you can say that again.

I can clearly say, even without the immediate emotion of losing, that our coaching did a horrific, REALLY awful job tonight, right down to the basic of not having the team ready and everything in between.
I mean, did you see their D-linemen? Its like they were salivating and spewing anger, they were so hyped up....our D-line looked they were sewing a blanket.

Steelerfreak58
12-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Piss poor adjustments at Half-time has been a problem all year long. 6-0 at the half and in the game to BUMBLE STUMBLE STEELER BALL in the second half...

AGREED OUT COACHED...:banging:

madtowndrunkard
12-20-2011, 12:52 AM
its hard to win when your average starting position is at the 13 yard line.

Sure, that's true... but it really has nothing to do with the fact that Tomlin did not put us in the position to win. The ONLY reason that game was with in reach was because the 49ers have a bad QB ...he's just not good - but he doesn't turn it over..... the 49ers let us beat our selves...with bad playcalling and mental errors. That was Bill Cowher's game plan for years....and it works if you are a good enough to coach your team to not make mistakes.

If Smith hits his 2 WIDE OPEN WR's early in the game it's a total blow out

stb_steeler
12-20-2011, 12:55 AM
HELLO.....you play to win the game....now where did i hear that before?!!!!!!!!!

skinart82
I've always stood up for Tomlin and liked the way he's done things. And I am NOT a doom and gloom, the sky is falling, trade Ben type of guy at all. I LOVE my Steelers, but after tonight I really wonder if Tomlin is the right fit. I'm sure as hell not saying we should have went with Whiz, but how much of Tomlin's success came from what Cowher and Colbert have put in place. My major issue is with Mike not pulling Ben, Cowher did it years ago when Ben was just hurting the team, tonight Ben could have gotten really hurt and Mike just left him out there and he obviously wasn't in any shape to be playing. I know Ben is as tough as nails, I also know we have the best chance of winning when he's on the field, but at what cost, are you willing to lose him for the rest of the year??? Give the ball to Batch or Dixon and call it for what it is!

TRH
Sure, that's true... but it really has nothing to do with the fact that Tomlin did not put us in the position to win. The ONLY reason that game was with in reach was because the 49ers have a bad QB ...he's just not good - but he doesn't turn it over..... the 49ers let us beat our selves...with bad playcalling and mental errors. That was Bill Cowher's game plan for years....and it works if you are a good enough to coach your team to not make mistakes.

If Smith hits his 2 WIDE OPEN WR's early in the game it's a total blow out

yeah, it should been have been a much bigger scoring game for them than it was.

pitt0wns
12-20-2011, 12:58 AM
You can't blame Ben for this loss he is injured.

Like always our coaching staff never has a game plan. It's the same old bullshit every week. This coaching staff is horrid and needs to go. Dick LeBeau is washed up as well. How many times are we gonna run the X blitz up the middle? Tomlin is still living off of Cowher's players. F*ck our D cannot even cover toilet bowl receivers.

madtowndrunkard
12-20-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm not saying this as a dig at our team.... but really IMO Harbaugh is easily the coach of the year..... first coach I've seen that reminds me of Bill Cowher. It was like watching Bill Cowher beat us..... This is nothing against Tomlin either. I just haven't seen a coach consistently win games like the 49ers are right now with so little.... limiting mistakes, creating mistakes, playing sound defense, and winning. I don't know if Haraugh can keep it up for years....but that was really like watching Bill Cowher beat us. We had so much more talent then the 49ers and we still got our butts handed to us.

I haven't seen us out coached like that in a long time. You have to give props to Harbaugh. It's been a while since I've seen coaching like that..... I miss Bill.

TRH
12-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Here's how dumb Arians playcalling was :
Every time Mendenhall had a 4, 5, 8 yard run, whatever.....what do you think they did the VERY next play??
You got it! They ran Mendenhall again. The very next play. Like everyone in the stadium, in the booth, the other coaches, everyone at home on their couches, already knew they would. Funny he would get stuffed on the 2nd run every time. That is downright STUPID playcalling.

Sixburgher
12-20-2011, 01:01 AM
My major issue is with Mike not pulling Ben, Cowher did it years ago when Ben was just hurting the team

Really? You must've missed the four interception disaster in Oakland back in 2006 the week after he got his brains scrambled in Atlanta and had no business being on the field in the first place. Dipshit move by Cowher.

MACH1
12-20-2011, 01:05 AM
I like Tomlin, but how many games just this season has this team been unprepared to play? It seems to be a reoccurring theme. Things that make you go hmmm.

skinart82
Really? You must've missed the four interception disaster in Oakland back in 2006 the week after he got his brains scrambled in Atlanta and had no business being on the field in the first place. Dipshit move by Cowher.

He eventually pulled him in that game....... That's the game after he got the concussion in Atlanta. I remember it all to well.

madtowndrunkard
You can't blame Ben for this loss he is injured.

Like always our coaching staff never has a game plan. It's the same old bullshit every week. This coaching staff is horrid and needs to go. Dick LeBeau is washed up as well. How many times are we gonna run the X blitz up the middle? Tomlin is still living off of Cowher's players. F*ck our D cannot even cover toilet bowl receivers.

I do not think DL is washed up at all.... I'll be the first to dissagree. We were good enough to win the game defensively. A little help from our offense would have gone a long way. You cannot expect the defense to win every single year. Yea this is a down year for us defensively...but remember DL has never had to deal with such a lop sided rule system that basically eliminates defense from the game. MOST teams are not playing good defense this year.... 3 QB's are on pace to set records. This is the result of the NFL out lawing defense.

We were beaten by another team playing "steeler" football. I actually don't feel so horrible about it.... it was nice to see that "steeler football" is alive and well... you can still win games by ball control, sound defense, and limiting mistakes ala the Bill Cowher way. Tomlin got his butt whooped the same way we did it under the old coach Cowher. Sorry to be nostalgic....... I was waiting for Bettis to come out in a 49ers uni. it sucks.

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
He eventually pulled him in that game....... That's the game after he got the concussion in Atlanta. I remember it all to well.

Yep.

Sixburgher
12-20-2011, 01:08 AM

He should've never played him to begin with. That's the point.

madtowndrunkard
12-20-2011, 01:08 AM

I think 2006 had other issues worth mentioning. Cowher had no other options.

Ben F-ed us that year because he was immature and stupid. Now Ben has finally grown up but he's led by an incompetent OC.

notice we showed no pulse until Ben took over the playcalling.... AGAIN.

Sixburgher
12-20-2011, 01:10 AM
notice we showed no pulse until Ben took over the playcalling.... AGAIN.

And yet, it still resulted in another turnover.

skinart82
12-20-2011, 01:12 AM
He should've never played him to begin with. That's the point.

I know that, it was an awful game. The D only gave up 98 total yards that game and we still lost because of it!

Danny136200
12-20-2011, 01:18 AM
out coached, out played, just everything that can go wrong, went wrong in this game. Just a game were you burn the tape. disgusting. Hell i can even live with the spanking Bmore gave us at the start of the season, but, for some reason, I was even more disgusted by this game.

jjpro11
12-20-2011, 01:28 AM
lol what do you guys think Batch would have done?? lead the team to victory? at least with Ben the defense had to respect the deep ball.. imagine playing the 49ers defense and having them stack the box every down as we try to dink and dunk the whole game.

JCPsteelers
12-20-2011, 01:43 AM

Yea Ben was bad...yea the O-line fell apart in the 4th quarter. But lets be honest... the game was over before it started. It was pretty clear Harbaugh out coached us. Now I know what all those teams feel like after Bill Cowher bent them over all those years.... we were beaten with less talent. It's hard to watch...but you really can't deny it... Harbaugh bent Mike Tomlin over his knee and spanked him.

horrible.

Outside of the QB and WR position I'd like to know where exactly do we out talent the 49ers? I think I could make the case 1-53 they have a better roster than us.

Now saying that, Tomlin did a bad job. But to act like the 49ers have the talent of the Browns and we easily have more talent than them is pretty ridiculous.

Sixburgher
12-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Outside of the QB and WR position I'd like to know where exactly do we out talent the 49ers? I think I could make the case 1-53 they have a better roster than us.

Exactly. How many years recently have the Niners been drafting in the top 10? How many have the Steelers?

tony hipchest
12-20-2011, 01:49 AM
..... I miss Bill.

what... no love for chuck noll?

you can see cowher at noon, every sunday morning, on CBS. :applaudit:

Kanata-Steeler
12-20-2011, 01:50 AM
lol what do you guys think Batch would have done?? lead the team to victory? at least with Ben the defense had to respect the deep ball.. imagine playing the 49ers defense and having them stack the box every down as we try to dink and dunk the whole game.

We don't know, 'cause Batch never played, but Ben's post-game remark of: "I was the best 49'er out there tonight" should explain it.
Can't argue with that.
The 1st bad Coaching decision, was even playing an injured Ben tonite -we didn't have to gamble like that, at this point in the season with our #1 QB franchise investment.
The 2nd bad coaching decision, was keeping an injured Ben in for the rest of the game.
Our "D" held them to only 6 for almost 3/4 of the entire game.
Every else in between, including Ben's 4 Turnover's ,was the usual Tomlin/Ariens "pointless" Offensive play calls.

so ya, definitely out-coached badly tonite.

Well, we gotta winout now, from here on in.

Sixburgher
12-20-2011, 01:52 AM
I think 2006 had other issues worth mentioning. Cowher had no other options.

There were no other QBs on the roster, then? And the motorcycle accident had NOTHING to do with him wrongly starting him a week after he got concussed in Atlanta.

defence
12-20-2011, 08:24 AM
We don't know, 'cause Batch never played, but Ben's post-game remark of: "I was the best 49'er out there tonight" should explain it.
Can't argue with that.
The 1st bad Coaching decision, was even playing an injured Ben tonite -we didn't have to gamble like that, at this point in the season with our #1 QB franchise investment.
The 2nd bad coaching decision, was keeping an injured Ben in for the rest of the game.
Our "D" held them to only 6 for almost 3/4 of the entire game.
Every else in between, including Ben's 4 Turnover's ,was the usual Tomlin/Ariens "pointless" Offensive play calls.

so ya, definitely out-coached badly tonite.

Well, we gotta winout now, from here on in.

Ya we held them to 6 for a while; but when we needed to play situational defence we couldn't. We made it 6 3 and what does our d do the very next series?? Lay an egg and let them score on a long drive!! If some how they get off the field on 3rd and long once in a while; maybe we swing momentum!! Or stepping up and create a turnover or a damn sack against one of the worst olines in the game!!! This d is overrated and in reality has become dependant on harrison and woodley!! Time for change imo!!

Eztarget
12-20-2011, 08:30 AM
How do you stop an aggressive pass rush like the 49ers? Screen passes. How many did we run?
Poor clock management.
Ben should have had the first series and then been pulled. He couldn't move, plant, or throw correctly.
Poor adjustments
Risking your playoff QB late in the game when it meant nothing.
Our defense didn't adjust to anything. How about some press coverage?

Tomlin looked like Barry Switzer last night. A guy that inherited a great football team.

TRH
12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Usually i'm not that hard on the coaching staff other than Arian's terrible playcalling.

But last night....was Tomlin's worst moment (on a national stage, nonetheless). That was a very POORLY coached game. Tomlin also looked like he had no emotion on the sideline while Harbaugh looked excited and aggressive on the other side.

plenewken
12-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Tomlin looked like Barry Switzer last night. A guy that inherited a great football team.

Exactly; Tomlin brought nothing that the team didn't already have.
It's one more game where he's been totally outcoached. He demonstrated a complete inability to adjust, poor clock management, no passion whatsoever and I'm not even talking about his stupid challenges.
I'm about done with him.

mikegrimey
12-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Apparently you don't remember it all too well because Ben wasn't pulled from that game, he played until the whistle and chucked a hail Mary on the final play of the game. Gotta love the revisionism. I can't remember Cowher ever pulling Ben from a game, even during 06 when he had some disasterous performances and the same boneheads who are calling for Tomlins job (complete with vague, unspecific and sometimes inaccurate arguments) were calling for Batch to be the signal caller

Eztarget
12-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Apparently you don't remember it all too well because Ben wasn't pulled from that game, he played until the whistle and chucked a hail Mary on the final play of the game. Gotta love the revisionism. I can't remember Cowher ever pulling Ben from a game, even during 06 when he had some disasterous performances and the same boneheads who are calling for Tomlins job (complete with vague, unspecific and sometimes inaccurate arguments) were calling for Batch to be the signal caller

Last night was different. Batch should have been in after the 2nd series. It was pretty clear that Ben could not move, plant or throw accurately. At that point a good coach does the tough thing and says, "I'm going to need my franchise QB in 3 weeks more than right now."

I'm not saying Batch should replace Ben, just replace him until his ankle heals. And when the 49ers started coming after him how about some screen passes to keep their D honest?

Nope just a bad job of coaching last night.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Harbaugh will always look excited, lol. those 2 boys are cheerleaders first, coaches second, lol.

Tomlin wasn't out coached, Tomlin didnt coach at all. There was zero thought put into this game plan. The 49ers are what they are, their offense is not that good, their RB is injury prone and was hurt late yesterday.

the pressured Ben and we did nothing to counter the pressure. We couldnt do a screen as the screen takes 2 seconds to form, Ben wouldve been on his ass. Turnovers killed us, mainly the first 2, the rest were situational despertaion type TO's, we lost the game with the first 2 TO's. We drive down and score on the first drive, the pressure goes on Smith immediately, even with no pressure he has a hard time passing, he is little Harbaughs Flacco in disguise.

IowaSteeler927
12-20-2011, 10:04 AM
The only coaching errors I felt were being made was the piss poor clock management right before the half. Otherwise we lost because we failed to make plays on offense. Mike Wallace was wide open once in the first half and Ben didn't see him, and when Wallace got open again he overthrew him. The two interceptions in the first half (one being in the red zone) really killed us as well. We were able to move the ball but in the latter part of drives Ben was making costly mistakes. Dropped passes didn't help either, and I wasn't particularly impressed with Mike Wallace on Ben's 3rd Pick. He could of interfered and prevented that pick, or he could of attempted to get in front of the receiver. Instead he kind of just watched him catch it.

The defense played well but it was obvious that Woodley again wasn't at 100%. I would of liked to of seen some of the physical press coverage we used against the Patriots considering the Niners are not a team that really throws the deep ball. Despite our inefficiencies however, the defense still got the ball back numerous times for the offense and once again they failed to capitalize when they needed too.

I'm sick and tired of the "Fire Tomlin" crap. I can understand wanting to get rid of Arians but Tomlin is a great coach and is respected by his players. We can't win every game and people need to accept the fact that maybe just maybe the Niners played some good football and outplayed us for one night. When we get Harrison back, Woodley healthy, and Ben able to move around more we'll be back to playing the way we are used to playing but for right now they have to work with what they got and we were a bit outmatched by the Niners due to injuries and Harrison's suspension.

People are acting like we just lost a playoff game or something. It's not the playoffs yet and maybe the Ravens will make another mistake. I can understand a little criticism here and there but this is hardly the end of the world.

Steelerindc
12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I've always stood up for Tomlin and liked the way he's done things. And I am NOT a doom and gloom, the sky is falling, trade Ben type of guy at all. I LOVE my Steelers, but after tonight I really wonder if Tomlin is the right fit. I'm sure as hell not saying we should have went with Whiz, but how much of Tomlin's success came from what Cowher and Colbert have put in place. My major issue is with Mike not pulling Ben, Cowher did it years ago when Ben was just hurting the team, tonight Ben could have gotten really hurt and Mike just left him out there and he obviously wasn't in any shape to be playing. I know Ben is as tough as nails, I also know we have the best chance of winning when he's on the field, but at what cost, are you willing to lose him for the rest of the year??? Give the ball to Batch or Dixon and call it for what it is!

I cannot agree more. Thank you for pointing that out. Tomlin seems like a hands off coach. He doesn't kill plays or calls even when they seem dumb as hell and he lets Ben get away with too much.

queeg
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM

horrible.

Linebackers...slew of problems...

Casy Hampton played a good game or Gore would have lit us up.

queeg
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Exactly; Tomlin brought nothing that the team didn't already have.
It's one more game where he's been totally outcoached. He demonstrated a complete inability to adjust, poor clock management, no passion whatsoever and I'm not even talking about his stupid challenges.
I'm about done with him.

We have serious linebacker problems.....cannot cover tight ends and pass rush was not punishing....Smith could have passed out of a Vegas lounge chair.

mikegrimey
12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Last night was different. Batch should have been in after the 2nd series. It was pretty clear that Ben could not move, plant or throw accurately. At that point a good coach does the tough thing and says, "I'm going to need my franchise QB in 3 weeks more than right now."

I'm not saying Batch should replace Ben, just replace him until his ankle heals. And when the 49ers started coming after him how about some screen passes to keep their D honest?

That wasn't my point. I was refuting the LIES being told in here about Cowher benching Roethlisberger for not playing well, particularly during the Oakland game in 2006 where he threw 4 INTs 1 week after suffering a concussion. A poster suggested that Cowher benched Ben in that game, and someone else accepted that explanation, when it is completely false.

As for benching Ben last night, I would be totally against it, but think the Capt. Hindsight analysts need to lay off being next-day prophets. Had we started Batch and lost, which is possible, the same people would be complaining about the coaching for the very opposite reason they're criticizing it now.

People seem to come up with the funniest excuses after a Steelers loss here. I've seen a range of nonsense including tomlin being an inadequate coach, James Farrior being an awful player, Arians being pure-evil etc.

I personally don't think we should have played Batch or a back up last night, but that's open for discussion, what's not open for discussion is discredited lies about Bill Cowher supposedly benching Roethlisberger when he played bad.

zsheik22
12-20-2011, 11:39 AM

:tt:

lipps83
12-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I am okay with Tomlin still. Yes, Tomlin oversees the whole team but he lets the coordinators do their respective jobs. My only issue with Tomlin is he needs to step up and Fire Arians and put Lebeau on notice because they are NOT doing a good job with their sides of the team.

Arians needs to go. Yesterday. The offensive game plan is dumb, every single week. 3rd and 1 and you go 5 wide out of the shotgun and every receiver except for one runs a 10 yard route? WTF. Ben is the only reason this guy still has a job, Tomlin needs to be the parent here and tell Ben "NO".

I think Lebeau has lost something. The defense never seems fired up anymore. They aren't bringing pressure ever and the dbacks' are still playing too far off the ball.

MasterOfPuppets
12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
i can't for the life of me wrap my head around those 12 yd cushions the cb's give. i mean if you need a 12 yd head start in order to keep someone from running by you , then your not a very good corner. the steelers showed they are capable of playing a press coverage when they beat new england using it.
alex smith doesn't exactly have the arm to beat you deep all game. those cushions played to his strength which is the short passing game. also its not like the 9'ers have super fast receivers like mike wallace OR big physical receivers like calvin johnson that can burn man to man press coverage.

lipps83
12-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Absolutely right. That is why Brady killed this team for years, until Lebeau finally decided to have his db's play closer.

Not sure why he doesn't do that more often along with bringing some pressure. That is why I would put him on notice.

TRH
12-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I am okay with Tomlin still. Yes, Tomlin oversees the whole team but he lets the coordinators do their respective jobs. My only issue with Tomlin is he needs to step up and Fire Arians and put Lebeau on notice because they are NOT doing a good job with their sides of the team.

Arians needs to go. Yesterday. The offensive game plan is dumb, every single week. 3rd and 1 and you go 5 wide out of the shotgun and every receiver except for one runs a 10 yard route? WTF. Ben is the only reason this guy still has a job, Tomlin needs to be the parent here and tell Ben "NO".

I think Lebeau has lost something. The defense never seems fired up anymore. They aren't bringing pressure ever and the dbacks' are still playing too far off the ball.

i agree with you somewhat. I don't think Tomlin needs to go, not at all, be he put in an "F" performance last night running the team.
Arians : It's just obvious he needs to go. Although, i have to tell you, unless he's offered a head coach job somewhere in the off-season, he's almost surely going to stay.
LeBeau : Is the man getting senile? We make almost no adjustments, whatsoever, when what we're doing is clearly not working. And no pass rush? At all? Seriously? That needs fixed as bad as our non-scoring offense.

And you're right the D never seems fired up anymore. Did you look over at the 49ers defense? Man, they were so hopped up it looked like foam was coming out of their mouths. Boy, i wish we had that kind of spirit.

stiller39
12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Yesireeee! we was outcoached again. 9ers had a better game plan to attack our offense and it worked for enough points to win, There D had the matchups for our offensive game plan and with a hampered throwing motion by BB we never had a chance. They had good tight coverage that required precision passing and BB is definitely capable but not a one legged BB. You have a guy who is sacking QB's matched up with a LT that struggled to stop him and BB was a sitting target in the pocket all night long. We are lucking BB was able to walk off the field.... shame on our coaches for allowing this to happen.

Hines0wnz
12-20-2011, 04:36 PM
I understand everyone being emotional after that stinker last night but let's be real about some things.

1. Mike Tomlin is a great coach. 2 Super Bowls (1 win) and until this season the Steelers have owned the AFC North. Nuff said. Yes, in hindsight, playing Big Ben looks foolish (it is all I have heard on the radio today) but if he doesnt throw any picks and throws 1 or 2 TDs most of you would be saying "OMG HE IS THE GREATEST QB EVARRRR!!!!!!1 FU BRADY! FU MANNING! BEN IS THE REAL ELITE NFL QB!!!!!! et cetera, et cetera, et cetera." Who gives a damn about what talking heads say about Ben? He has led us to 2 SB wins in 3 tries and his improvisational skill set is what sets him apart.

2. Adversity. Every season, every team has to overcome some amount of adversity. Look at the poor Colts this year. Between suspension and injuries, this team does pretty damn good to stay consistent every season. Why? See #1. Steelers are in the playoffs and have recent history on their side as a wild card team.

3. Murphy's Law (sorry for the cliche). Every so often, things just do not go your way. The Steelers have had 2 of these games this season (Ravens week 1 and last night). In addition, this was the Niners last regular season home game and they were coming off 2 road losses so they were a wee bit motivated to show up. The Steelers just couldnt match it.

I almost feel sorry for the Rams this weekend having to face a pissed Steeler team and a rested James Harrison at home.

Now everybody take a deep breath and shake off this ugly loss. Nothing has been won or lost with just this 1 game. :wink02:

tenn1968
12-20-2011, 04:42 PM
I read the two Harbaughs were planning together for last night's game. When you have two quality NFL coaches comparing notes that is a tough combination to beat. Yet you can't blame two brothers for talking....

Hines0wnz
12-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I read the two Harbaughs were planning together for last night's game. When you have two quality NFL coaches comparing notes that is a tough combination to beat. Yet you can't blame two brothers for talking....

I read that too. The writer said the Steelers are 0 for Harbaugh this season. :blah:

Kanata-Steeler
12-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Ya we held them to 6 for a while; but when we needed to play situational defence we couldn't. We made it 6 3 and what does our d do the very next series?? Lay an egg and let them score on a long drive!! If some how they get off the field on 3rd and long once in a while; maybe we swing momentum!! Or stepping up and create a turnover or a damn sack against one of the worst olines in the game!!! This d is overrated and in reality has become dependant on harrison and woodley!! Time for change imo!!
"YA, change your diapers !"

:blah:
Comon, stick to cheering for your Toronto Bills, D ?

fer522
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
if tomling was coaching the bills,the rams or the colts their record would not be much different than what it is
Tomling was in right right place at the right time when he got the job but he sucks ass

skinart82
12-20-2011, 06:15 PM

I believe you are right, my bad! I could have swore he got benched in that game. I'm almost positive he got benched at some point, but I've been known to be wrong before.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2011, 06:16 PM
if tomling was coaching the bills,the rams or the colts their record would not be much different than what it is
Tomling was in right right place at the right time when he got the job but he sucks ass

If he is just coasting on having Cowher's players it is interesting Tomlin has figured out how to win AFC championship games at home, something that usually escaped Cowher

DanRooney
12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
If he is just coasting on having Cowher's players it is interesting Tomlin has figured out how to win AFC championship games at home, something that usually escaped Cowher

Funny how we reward our head coach with full credit of our wins yet no one really knows what is role is besides having press conferences with quotes like "the standard is the standard."

Fire Arians
12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
i like cowher but he played scared too much in the playoffs. run, run, run, punt doesn't win championships

granted after we got ben things changed.

Sixburgher
12-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Funny how we reward our head coach with full credit of our wins yet no one really knows what is role is besides having press conferences with quotes like "the standard is the standard."

Sure. Any schmuck can do it, as long as the talent's there. Just ask Norv Turner.

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2011, 06:44 PM

And we know more about how Cowher operated?

All I am saying is if you blame Tomlin for losing and give the players credit for winning the same test should apply to Cowher's tenure - by that measure Cowher's playoff record does not reflect more favorably on him

The standard should be the same for both

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-20-2011, 07:23 PM
This thread is PATHETIC.

Fire Tomlin? He is not right for this franchise? Riding on the coattails of Cowhers' regime? Dick Lebeau is washed up?

UTTERLY RE-C0CK-U-LOUS. Some of you make me ashamed...(or have me seriously wondering if we are watching the same team).

We are 10-4 and up until last night, had the AFC's #1 seed-- the first ever Superbowl loser to do so the next season.

Tomlin is not riding on the coattails of anybody. Just having the roster doesn't get you to the Superbowl-- keep in mind, that was the same disastrous 49ers roster that had trouble making .500 a year ago. The only thing that changed, was their HEAD COACH. Yes, the HC makes that big of a difference.

Teams that are leading their conference, like we were, usually have a strong head coach and a winning philosophy.

If Tomlin can take the same roster of guys and get the same or better results as Cowher (took Tomlin 2 years, as opposed to Cowher's 15 years), then he necessarily has to be as good or better than Cowher as a head coach. Since Tomlin came to the burg, we have broken our Patriots curse, our Jags curse, and soon to be Packers curse. He has overcome huge obstacles in both of our SB visits since he took over (like the 2008 team that you same whiners said was done after the loss to Philadelphia).

Now Dick Lebeau is washed up too? Give me a break...we have had the #1 defense in 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, and for most of 2011 we have vaccilated between #2 and #1. His coverage schemes work. Despite all that yardage, SF was still only up by 6 points at the half.

PUT THE BEER DOWN and GET SOME PERSPECTIVE....

Here are the facts:

* Roethlisberger was playing on a high ankle sprain.
* Woodley was playing his first game in over a month of inactivity.
* We were missing James Harrison. Former DPOY means something....
* We were missing our Pro-bowl center, and we had a former backup playing guard (Essex).
* Polamalu was not 100%.
* Ike Taylor was playing injured.

Couple that with a poor gameplan (yes, even our HC has bad days), and that game could have been a lot worse.

But it is NOT the end of the season, and we do not need to find a new head coach, quarterback, defensive coordinator, mascot, runningback, or waterboy.

ricardisimo
12-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Mom, Tony, Pete... I think someone's calling for a reasoned, measured response to this last loss. Should I ban him?
:noidea:

FanSince72
12-20-2011, 07:35 PM
This thread is PATHETIC.

Fire Tomlin? He is not right for this franchise? Riding on the coattails of Cowhers' regime? Dick Lebeau is washed up?

UTTERLY RE-C0CK-U-LOUS. Some of you make me ashamed...(or have me seriously wondering if we are watching the same team).

We are 10-4 and up until last night, had the AFC's #1 seed-- the first ever Superbowl loser to do so the next season.

Tomlin is not riding on the coattails of anybody. Just having the roster doesn't get you to the Superbowl-- keep in mind, that was the same disastrous 49ers roster that had trouble making .500 a year ago. The only thing that changed, was their HEAD COACH. Yes, the HC makes that big of a difference.

Teams that are leading their conference, like we were, usually have a strong head coach and a winning philosophy.

If Tomlin can take the same roster of guys and get the same or better results as Cowher (took Tomlin 2 years, as opposed to Cowher's 15 years), then he necessarily has to be as good or better than Cowher as a head coach. Since Tomlin came to the burg, we have broken our Patriots curse, our Jags curse, and soon to be Packers curse. He has overcome huge obstacles in both of our SB visits since he took over (like the 2008 team that you same whiners said was done after the loss to Philadelphia).

Now Dick Lebeau is washed up too? Give me a break...we have had the #1 defense in 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, and for most of 2011 we have vaccilated between #2 and #1. His coverage schemes work. Despite all that yardage, SF was still only up by 6 points at the half.

Here are the facts:

* We were missing our Pro-bowl center, and we had a former backup playing guard (Essex).
* Polamalu was not 100%.

Couple that with a poor gameplan (yes, even our HC has bad days), and that game could have been a lot worse.

But it is NOT the end of the season, and we do not need to find a new head coach, quarterback, defensive coordinator, mascot, runningback, or waterboy.

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!

Now can we get on with looking towards Saturday?

StainlessStill
12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Tomlin is awful. 2 Super Bowl appearances in 4 years and has his team in the playoffs again in 2011 after making the Super Bowl the year before. Rooney's only hire coach's once every what? 4 billion years? 3 coach's in several decades with a combined 6 Super Bowls between them and multiple Super Bowl appearances. They sure as hell don't know what their doing.

/sarcasm. You people after a loss are sickening. Maybe we can give our #5 seed to a teams fans that are starving with hunger just to have hope for a playoff birth. Spoiled, everyone of us.:banging:

IowaSteeler927
12-20-2011, 09:24 PM
This thread is PATHETIC.

Here are the facts:

* Polamalu was not 100%.

Amen

btaylor179
12-20-2011, 09:27 PM
tomlins over rated/always has been

IowaSteeler927
12-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Go watch another team then because a coach that takes us to two Super Bowls and wins one of them is not an overrated coach. All the people on here running their mouths about him are the fair weather fans that are happy when the Steelers are winning, but when we lose it's time to fire the entire coaching staff because every one of them is overrated or they are magically somehow still riding on Bill Cowher's coattails somehow even though the guy has been gone since freaking 2007.

defence
12-20-2011, 10:30 PM
:blah:
Comon, stick to cheering for your Toronto Bills, D ?

Did u mean "c'mon" !! I'm a steeler fan living in toronto!!! People around here hate the bills; i never made the deal with the bills owner!! Sour senator fan; maybe???:thumbsup:

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Did u mean "c'mon" !! I'm a steeler fan living in toronto!!! People around here hate the bills; i never made the deal with the bills owner!! Sour senator fan; maybe???:thumbsup:

:chuckle:

DanRooney
12-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Go watch another team then because a coach that takes us to two Super Bowls and wins one of them is not an overrated coach. All the people on here running their mouths about him are the fair weather fans that are happy when the Steelers are winning, but when we lose it's time to fire the entire coaching staff because every one of them is overrated or they are magically somehow still riding on Bill Cowher's coattails somehow even though the guy has been gone since freaking 2007.

Arians took us to a SB too.

IowaSteeler927
12-21-2011, 04:43 AM
Arians took us to a SB too.

The offense has performed well at times under Arians but he's had more than his fair share of games with more than questionable play calling. If there is a weak link in our coaching staff it is Arians by and far. Tomlin and the rest of the coaches do a pretty good job getting things done, and the biggest reason we've been successful is because of our defense. Defense wins championships.

MzunguT
12-21-2011, 07:07 AM
This thread is PATHETIC.

Here are the facts:

* Polamalu was not 100%.

Thanx man. It is interesting to see how many people think you can take over a good team, run it mostly successful for 5 years and not have anything to with it. If you are not doing most things right, you will be going down faster than you can imagine.

Iamfourteen
12-21-2011, 08:51 AM
This thread is PATHETIC.

Here are the facts:

* Polamalu was not 100%.

If Roethlisberger is injured, why would you put him to play the game?. A good coach would have thought about the playoffs. This is how I think, Ravens gave away the division Sunday night the Steelers didn't win it just like that, they lost against the Ravens 2 games. Now, as coach is obvious you want to get that division by playing your best Off. player then win the game, play it to win. It is not acceptable to have 10 days to prepare this game and the result was just pathetic.

Now in the other hand, what would happened if the Ravens didn't lose on Sunday night? Would Tomlin put Roethlisberger in ?

I think this is not a a big factor as the QB, but the rest of the D-line and linebackers played like Woodley or worse, yes... they played like crap.

This was a factor, I agreed.

Again, looks like the backups are not ready to play, not only on the center position but linebackers, d-line, QB, secondary. Is that a coaching fault or what?

* Polamalu was not 100%.

You have Mundy there, if you think about playoffs, why would you need Polamalu there. This is like the Packers thinking if they can win all of the games risking injuries and yet with the first strings they lost the game.

Taylor is not a factor, he has played like crap since years, he was not only burned in this game, every game, every Super Bowl he has been burned for touchdowns, I don;t know why everybody think Taylor is the best cornerback of the team when it is just a liability.

You have Lewis there and has to get more game time. If Taylor will be burned what would be the difference to have a rookie or Lewis in there?. If the backups are not ready that's coaching again. The secondary has played and looked better when Lewis, Mundy, Polamalu and believe it or not with Gay. When Taylor and Clark are playing they look bad, LeBeau can't pass rush because these 2 are just weak and get burned, the problem with the defense is that Lebeau does have the players but keep trusting these 2. Just pay attention how the Ends and linebackers play differently ( freely) without having to compensate for Taylor and Clark when Mundy and Lewis are in.

It is coaching of course what is lacking at this moment. They had 10 days to prepare the game and this was one of the best NFC teams at the moment and it was a chance to probe that the Steelers are ready to face either Packers or Saints and even the 49ers but it was only a disgrace. At this time I doubt they are ready and not even ready for the Broncos or Patriots.

Looks like they were busy recording their Christmas Carols instead planning the game.

dcsteel5804
12-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey everyone, I'd like to chime in on this subject! I think as fans, we live week to week, and tend to lose sight of the big picture. This thread is about being out coached, and we definitely were out coached and out maneuvered in this game. But the emphasis of the last statement has to be "in this game".

Have we forgotten the Patriots game so quickly. That was a coaching masterpiece. D!ck Lebeau learned from his prior mistakes and called a perfect game. For me, I just wish he would be able to adjust better.

I didn't like the huge cushions they were giving the receivers and the lack of pass rush. People say that SF was getting the out quickly and thats why the rush was not getting there. But no one considers that the ball was coming out quickly because we were playing 10 yards off the receivers. If we were pressing the receivers more and sending pressure, Alex Smith wouldn't have been able to throw those quick passes and probably would have been less successful.

But its all speculation. We lost because we had various injuries at key positions, and we were definitely out coached. Hopefully, they can learn from the loss and make the appropriate corrections and move one.

The season is by no means over, and I'm still looking forward to Number 7!

FanSince72
12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
If you could teach a fire hydrant to hold a football, then you'd have the equivalent of Ben against SF.

All due respect to everyone's opinions and to Harbaugh as well, but how hard is it REALLY to coach against that?

Rockonsteel
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
If you could teach a fire hydrant to hold a football, then you'd have the equivalent of Ben against SF.

All due respect to everyone's opinions and to Harbaugh as well, but how hard is it REALLY to coach against that?

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

BINGO!!!

I was ok with starting him. It didn't take long, though, to see that he didn't have it. He could not step into the throws properly, meaning he couldn't control the velocity or accuracy, which caused balls to sail on him. That much was clear early on.

And I don't wanna hear about how he made some good throws. He had more bad throws, and those hurt us way more than the good throws helped. He should've been pulled after the second pick.

You can't convince me that Charlie Batch would not have been able to provide more than a Big Ben that was playing at 50% or less.

Rockon

plenewken
12-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Unfortunately, you're right. We've won 3 games out of 4 last year when Ben was suspended and we didn't think one of our 2 back-up QBs could do it again Monday?
It's not hard to coach against "that" but obviously it takes more than our current coaching staff, starting with Tomlin.

Eztarget
12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm convinced with a healthy Ben, Harrison, some press coverage we beat the 9ers.

The 9ers didn't impress me all that much. The Saints and Packers are light years better than them.

theplatypus
12-21-2011, 11:08 AM

AMEN

He doesn't have to run around and extend the play, after all that's what led to his high ankle sprain. Just getting rid of the football in 2-3 seconds like the elite qb's in the league do would suffice. Even Alex freaking Smith was getting rid of the ball, but not a hobbled Ben he wants to stand back there and do pump fakes.

Hines0wnz
12-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Go away troll.

Hines0wnz
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM

Wow, u r clevar with yur sp3LLin

DanRooney
12-22-2011, 09:37 AM
And we know more about how Cowher operated?

All I am saying is if you blame Tomlin for losing and give the players credit for winning the same test should apply to Cowher's tenure - by that measure Cowher's playoff record does not reflect more favorably on him

The standard should be the same for both

I've seen Cowher involved in the playcalling. He called several offensive plays in our XL run.

Bringing in the kicker to attempt FGs out of his reach is all of the offensive playcalling I've seen Tomlin do. Not saying he's a bad coach, but I'd like to see him overrule Arians or LeBeau when he sees something differently. The image I get from him is he's just along for the ride.

Sixburgher
12-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I've seen Cowher involved in the playcalling. He called several offensive plays in our XL run.

Bringing in the kicker to attempt FGs out of his reach is all of the offensive playcalling I've seen Tomlin do. Not saying he's a bad coach, but I'd like to see him overrule Arians or LeBeau when he sees something differently. The image I get from him is he's just along for the ride.

"Here's how Deshea Townsend described to me what it felt like to experience, from the inside, James Harrison's epic interception return in the Super Bowl against the Arizona Cardinals.

"I went from the lowest of the low to the highest you can get in sports in about one second on this play. We were in zero coverage, which means no help, so you know the ball is coming out hot, right away. The Cardinals lined up in a stacked formation with Larry Fitzgerald on the inside and Anquan Boldin on the outside, and when they crossed I got picked. So I'm chasing and pushing through and trying to see what's happening and in my mind I'm thinking my guy is wide open and that I just gave up a huge touchdown in the Super Bowl.

"Harrison was supposed to be blitzing. If he had rushed on that play that area is wide open and, boom, it's a touchdown. But he told me later he just felt like he couldn't get to Kurt Warner so he dropped back instead and Warner threw the ball right to him.

"When he caught it and we made eye contact I was like, 'give it to me, give it to me.' I'm a DB, we all do that after every interception. But his eyes were saying, 'hell no.' When he wouldn't give the ball to me, I took off looking to block somebody. All week in Tampa leading up to the game, coach Mike Tomlin kept telling us about how when he was the defensive backs coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers they returned two picks for scores in Super Bowl XXXVII. So he kept yelling all week, if we get a pick he wanted all 10 guys on somebody helping out. You get coaching tips like that all the time but to actually see it happen in the Super Bowl? Amazing."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=fleming_david&id=6068392&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fplayoffs%2f2010%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fc olumnist%3dfleming_david%26id%3d6068392

Yeah, dude. He does nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. :coffee:

DanRooney
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM
"Here's how Deshea Townsend described to me what it felt like to experience, from the inside, James Harrison's epic interception return in the Super Bowl against the Arizona Cardinals.

"I went from the lowest of the low to the highest you can get in sports in about one second on this play. We were in zero coverage, which means no help, so you know the ball is coming out hot, right away. The Cardinals lined up in a stacked formation with Larry Fitzgerald on the inside and Anquan Boldin on the outside, and when they crossed I got picked. So I'm chasing and pushing through and trying to see what's happening and in my mind I'm thinking my guy is wide open and that I just gave up a huge touchdown in the Super Bowl.

"Harrison was supposed to be blitzing. If he had rushed on that play that area is wide open and, boom, it's a touchdown. But he told me later he just felt like he couldn't get to Kurt Warner so he dropped back instead and Warner threw the ball right to him.

"When he caught it and we made eye contact I was like, 'give it to me, give it to me.' I'm a DB, we all do that after every interception. But his eyes were saying, 'hell no.' When he wouldn't give the ball to me, I took off looking to block somebody. All week in Tampa leading up to the game, coach Mike Tomlin kept telling us about how when he was the defensive backs coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers they returned two picks for scores in Super Bowl XXXVII. So he kept yelling all week, if we get a pick he wanted all 10 guys on somebody helping out. You get coaching tips like that all the time but to actually see it happen in the Super Bowl? Amazing."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=fleming_david&id=6068392&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fplayoffs%2f2010%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fc olumnist%3dfleming_david%26id%3d6068392

Yeah, dude. He does nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. :coffee:

Uhh...??? Okay. :noidea:

I guess he told an awesome story about how he was a DB coach and how is team intercepted balls. :coffee: