PDA

View Full Version : Ben may be the reason why this offense is never consistent

steelers33
12-20-2011, 02:49 AM
The inconsistencies and spurts of struggling on offense has really started to piss me off lately. Granted it has been a problem for a while now, but I think now it has gone too far. Why do you think we are in so many close games all the time, simply because of the many offensive struggles that we all are way too used to seeing. This is ludicrous considering all the talent we have on that side of the football. Our O-line is not the best, but certainly not the worse blah blah you all know what we have. Yet the reason why we are NEVER consistent is because Ben is not a system quarterback. He is one of the most unorthodox quarterbacks to ever play the game, and he certainly does some things well and is a tough SOB, but his inconsistencies is really starting to hurt us. We have gotten away with it, and won Super Bowls in the past, because of our defense covering up for his inconsistency, but now I don't know.

No doubt our defense is still very good, but they are not once what they were and those core players are only getting older and declining. Even looking back to last years Super Bowl, our defense was not able to hold, and when Ben was called upon his inconsistency showed up in his first half performance which ultimately led us to lose the game. You look back at the other Super Bowls, Ben played horrible verse the Seahawks, and played good enough against a Cardinals that granted should not of been in the Super Bowl. This all means that he's been inconsistent throughout his whole career, and it is never going to go away. If he is a supposed "elite" quarterback the almost weekly offensive struggles we have are laughable. You could say Arians this Arians that, but this falls on Ben. He should be a savvy enough veteran now, and with the talent we have on this offense we should do well each and every week. And the scary part is, our offense may have to lead us in the playoffs.

Bayz101
12-20-2011, 02:54 AM
The inconsistencies and spurts of struggling on offense has really started to piss me off lately. Granted it has been a problem for a while now, but I think now it has gone too far. Why do you think we are in so many close games all the time, simply because of the many offensive struggles that we all are to used to seeing. This is ludicrous considering all the talent we have on that side of the football. Our O-line is not the best, but certainly not the worse blah blah you all know what we have. Yet the reason why we are NEVER consistent is because Ben is not a system quarterback. He is one of the most unorthodox quarterbacks to ever play the game, and he certainly does some things well and is a tough SOB, but his inconsistencies is really starting to hurt us. We have gotten away with it, and won Super Bowls in the past, because of our defense covering up for his inconsistency, but now I don't know.

No doubt our defense is still very good, but they are not once what they were and those core players are only getting older and declining. Even looking back to last years Super Bowl, our defense was not able to hold, and when Ben was called upon his inconsistency showed up in his first half performance which ultimately led us to lose the game. You look back at the other Super Bowls, Ben played horrible verse the Seahawks, and played good enough against a Cardinals that granted should not of been in the Super Bowl. This all means that he's been inconsistent throughout his whole career, and it is never going to go away. If he is a supposed "elite" quarterback the almost weekly offensive struggles we have are laughable. You could say Arians this Arians that, but this falls on Ben. He should be a savvy enough veteran now, and with the talent we have on this offense we should do well each and every week. And the scary part is, our offense may have to lead us in the playoffs.

Our offense has never been great, but we've won 6 superbowl's, and 2 in recent years. I think we'll be fine.

tony hipchest
12-20-2011, 02:54 AM
or he may not be.

DanRooney
12-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Our talent on offense has as much to do with Ben as it does with Wallace and Brown. Remember, both receivers weren't exactly studs in college. Ben had a bad game. Our o-line had a wretched game.

bornaSteelersfan
12-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Yeah, Ben had a very bad game. He should have known at some point that he was only hurting the team. Part of being a team player is knowing when you aren't able to give 100% and another player might be better in the situation. He seems to think he is the greatest and doesn't see that there are times when the backup might do better. I know it is Tomlin's call to let him play, but he should know better.

steeltheone
12-20-2011, 05:22 AM
Put Mark Sanchez at QB and see what our recievers do? They are young and still disappear at times in big games.

plenewken
12-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Our coaching staff, starting with Tomlin, lost this game.
Ben shouldn't have played. He couldn't do his job. At the very least they should have pulled him at 1/2 time.
Stupid decision that could have cost Ben a season ending injury.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Sanchez?LOL

Our WR's will run and hide, because he sells out his WR's on poor crossing routes and gets them killed.

Sanchez sucks and Ryan knows it. If he gets a shot at one of the top 3 in th edraft he will jump on it to get this kid out of town along with his 17 year old girlfriend and her mom.

theplatypus
12-20-2011, 11:15 AM
He certainly isn't the best decision making qb around, not by a long shot. We have 4 losses on the year and at least 10 ints and 2 fumbles by #7 in those losses.

Whodis
12-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Put Mark Sanchez at QB and see what our recievers do? They are young and still disappear at times in big games.

Put Bruce Arians in New York and see how many SB rings he has. Put Tomlin in St Louis and see how many wins he gets.

The game plan started out ok and like every "offensive" plan we get it seems to turn into the wanna be greatest show on turf. There is more talent on offense then I can remember seeing (minus getting rid of Kuhn). Piss poor coaching has led to a great team looking good to average. They can't even seem to be able to coach Mendenhall on the proper way to hold a football? One legged QB in a shotgun? CB's playing 15 yards off receivers, again?

Ben is top notch..... There are very few teams that wouldn't want Ben and stay away from Arians.

theplatypus
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Put Bruce Arians in New York and see how many SB rings he has. Put Tomlin in St Louis and see how many wins he gets.

The game plan started out ok and like every "offensive" plan we get it seems to turn into the wanna be greatest show on turf. There is more talent on offense then I can remember seeing (minus getting rid of Kuhn). Piss poor coaching has led to a great team looking good to average. They can't even seem to be able to coach Mendenhall on the proper way to hold a football? One legged QB in a shotgun? CB's playing 15 yards off receivers, again?

Ben is top notch..... There are very few teams that wouldn't want Ben and stay away from Arians.

You can slice it anyway you want, but coaching didn't cause Ben to hold onto the ball and make poor decisions yet once again.

stiller39
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
C'mon Man!!! BB was not the problem. Coaches that let a one legged BB play is and was the problem. BB without his mobility and any QB that can't plant, step and throw loses his accuracy... C'mon man.

tanda10506
12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
He's had some bad games like everybody else, but Ben is probably the only thing that keeps the offense as consistant as it is. We have a great receiving corps but they have games like last night where they just don't get open. Then there is Mendy at RB, very inconsistant and he's running behind an o line that is very inconcsistant in their run blocking. The offense is inconsistant yes, but Ben is the most consistant one on the offense. It's really time to look at the coaching staff: Arians and Tomlin. They are the most inconcsistant and have been for years. Do we still win championships and are we still in the hunt every year, yes, but that doesn't make it acceptable to have an offense that plays this inconsistant and poor, especially with this much talent.

FanSince72
12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
C'mon Man!!! BB was not the problem. Coaches that let a one legged BB play is and was the problem. BB without his mobility and any QB that can't plant, step and throw loses his accuracy... C'mon man.

Exactly!

First of all, we never seem to have a consistent offense because it isn't designed to be consistent. It's designed around Ben's ability to make something out of nothing and for that to work, Ben needs to be able to move around freely.

The key to what we do on offense is the fact that no matter how well a team studies us, they can never fully account for Ben because he's always doing something that simply doesn't fit into any mold or style and that's what gives us the edge in most cases. Ben's mobility and his ability to extend plays or even run for yardage is the "12th Man" and when he can't do that, THAT'S when the offense becomes consistent, or more accurately --- predictable and that's when we suffer.

When he was out there last night, we were neither consistent or unpredictable; we were somewhere in between. I could see many examples of plays where Ben WANTED to run or WANTED to scramble or even just WANTED to take a few quick steps to avoid a defender, just like he always does, but he simply couldn't do it.

The result was some sort of weird hybrid thing where he tried to compensate for his inability to move that ended up with him either throwing the ball away, throwing a pick, or settling for some ineffective short pass when what he REALLY wanted to do was to do "his thing" but couldn't.

When Ben is out there, the receivers don't see a bum leg, they see Ben and they do what they're used to doing when he's out there only he couldn't hold up his part of the deal. The result of course is just confusion.

At least if we started Batch or Dixon, there wouldn't have been any expectation of any fancy footwork and so the routes and reads would have been more basic and probably more productive.

Danny136200
12-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Yes, piss poor coaching led Ben to fumble a ball, and get intercepted three times.... that was all the coaches doing.

Goldsteel86
12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Ahhhhh Really? Ben is the problem???? Hell this guy got jacked and hit and still stayed in the game, now the loss to the 49ers IMHO is due to play calling. Arians got greedy, he gets greedy and that is why the Steelers lost, not Ben. Now I believe the Steelers win out and the last game of the season for the Ravens at Cincy may just solidify the post season! :tt04::tt02::tt::tt03:

Whodis
12-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes, piss poor coaching led Ben to fumble a ball, and get intercepted three times.... that was all the coaches doing.

So did Ben get away from the run in the second half? Did Ben get away from running a two back set? Its the same story week after week.

I was at the Jags game and watched Arians go from the "home run" in the second half. After 2 back to back 3 and outs, Jacksonville is back in the game.

Riddle me this...... Name ten teams that would love to have Ben?

Now name me one that wants Bruce Arians?

plenewken
12-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Now I believe the Steelers win out and the last game of the season for the Ravens at Cincy may just solidify the post season! :tt04::tt02::tt::tt03:

I predicted that the Steelers would lose against SFO.
I believe that if Ben hasn't completely recovered to play Cleveland, they'll lose. They have a knack for playing like sh*t against sh*tty teams and I don't see this changing anytime soon.

theplatypus
12-20-2011, 02:00 PM
So did Ben get away from the run in the second half? Did Ben get away from running a two back set? Its the same story week after week.

I was at the Jags game and watched Arians go from the "home run" in the second half. After 2 back to back 3 and outs, Jacksonville is back in the game.

While you were at the game did you happen to notice the 10 men at the line of scrimmage taking away the short pass all game long?

:chuckle:

Whodis
12-20-2011, 02:03 PM
While you were at the game did you happen to notice the 10 men at the line of scrimmage taking away the short pass all game long?

Obviously not. :chuckle:

So did they take away a fullback yesterday?

theplatypus
12-20-2011, 02:08 PM
So did they take away a fullback yesterday?

No, that happened 5 years ago.

We can put the ball in the hands of our supposed "elite" qb and above average wr's and te or in the hands of an average rb back behind an average at best o-line. Hmmmm

Whodis
12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
No, that happened 5 years ago.

We can put the ball in the hands of our supposed "elite" qb and above average wr's and te or in the hands of an average rb back behind an average at best o-line. Hmmmm

That sounds too much like "mixing it up"

how foolish