PDA

View Full Version : Woodley: ‘I just got a little fatigued’

mesaSteeler
12-20-2011, 06:23 AM
The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/12/20/woodley-i-just-got-a-little-fatigued/

Woodley: ‘I just got a little fatigued’
December 20th, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO –-
There was some good news from the visiting locker room after the Steelers gave away their short-lived lead in the AFC North.
Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley said he didn’t aggravate the hamstring injury that has hampered him since late October.
Woodley, playing in only his second game since Oct. 30, sat out the fourth quarter against the 49ers as a precaution.
“I just for a little fatigued so I got out,” said Woodley, who leads the Steelers with nine sacks. “We expected that anyway, that it was going to get fatigued. I felt pretty good but we didn’t come out on top.”
The Steelers proved to be their own worst enemy when the electricity was actually, you know, on at Candlestick Park. They committed four turnovers and were penalized nine times for 72 yards in the 20-3 loss to the 49ers.
The Steelers have 11 more giveaways than takeaways for the season, a statistic that doesn’t bode well for them making a run at a seventh Super Bowl title.
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger committed all four of the Steelers’ turnovers and blamed himself for the team’s fourth loss of the season. Several defensive players, however, said they should have done more to help the offense.
“We just didn’t give our offense a chance. We didn’t give them enough opportunities with short fields,” free safety Ryan Clark said. “We didn’t play bad defensively. But they played great and that’s why they won the game. We came to the West Coast and got our butts whipped, plain and simple.”
“We had an opportunity,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, “and we didn’t seize it.”

– Scott Brown

plenewken
12-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Clark said "we didn't give our offense a chance." Really???
If it wasn't for our D, we would have lost by 25pts.

kirklandrules
12-20-2011, 06:58 AM

Agreed. It would have been a totally different game had those two first half picks not happened. Had the Steelers been able to convert any of those opportunities into points (even fieldgoals) and not lost a fumble close to their own 20, I think the pressure would have been on the 49ers and Smith. That's when good things happen. But, we saw the offense fail and the pressure was on our team after the first drive and for the rest of the game.

Eztarget
12-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Was anyone really impressed with the 49ers last night? Yeah they're a solid team but I'm convinced with a healthy Ben we win last night.

TRH
12-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Was anyone really impressed with the 49ers last night? Yeah they're a solid team but I'm convinced with a healthy Ben we win last night.

I was NOT impressed with them, other than their Defensive Line. We played so poorly, if it was the Packers, Saints, or Patriots, the score would have been like 58-3

defence
12-20-2011, 07:38 AM

Our D??? That d made a very average qb look like rodgers last night!! The loss was a total loss for the whole team!! No one played well!! But u cannot give credit to a unit that had absolutely no pressure on the qb and could not get off the field on many 3rd and longs and corners playing 15 yards off the receivers!! They new going in they had a hobbled qb and they would have to step up and probably steal a game!! Not this d!!

TRH
12-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Woodley. $10 million dollar man. Uh-huh.

defence
12-20-2011, 07:41 AM

I was impressed with there defence!! I can honestly say i think they are the best d in the nfl right now!! Lebau should look at that front 4 and try to copy that; one problem!! We dont have those 4 guys!!

defence
12-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Take it easy there!! He is not in game shape and believe me; unlike the reports u are hearing that he is healthy; he isn't!! outside of him and harrison; there is no one that can consitantly get to the qb!!! Woirlds hahaha!!!! Can u spell b u s t!!!!

plenewken
12-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Our D??? That d made a very average qb look like rodgers last night!! The loss was a total loss for the whole team!! No one played well!! But u cannot give credit to a unit that had absolutely no pressure on the qb and could not get off the field on many 3rd and longs and corners playing 15 yards off the receivers!! They new going in they had a hobbled qb and they would have to step up and probably steal a game!! Not this d!!

I agree that the D didn't put any pressure on Smith and they should have but overall, they did a decent job, limiting the 49ers to 20pts despite 4 turnovers.
A football team that can only put 3pts on the board in the 14th game is not a #1 seed caliber, sorry.
By the way, if we play in Cleveland like we did last night, we will lose. Mark my words,

TRH
12-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I agree that the D didn't put any pressure on Smith and they should have but overall, they did a decent job, limiting the 49ers to 20pts despite 4 turnovers.
A football team that can only put 3pts on the board in the 14th game is not a #1 seed caliber, sorry.
By the way, if we play in Cleveland like we did last night, we will lose. Mark my words,

yeah, but Smith threw a slew of poorly thrown balls that other QB's likely would have put right on the money. He converts even some of those and your looking at 49er points in the 30's...

defence
12-20-2011, 08:11 AM

i agree with u bro!! but stop looking at the numbers!! they dont always win games!! situational football!! bens first pic!! d allows san fran to go 17 plays and score!! how many 3rd and longs they allowed to convert!!! steelers come within 3; and once again they allow the niners to march on a long drive and put the game away!! it was a team loss; but this d has almost blown lots of games this year; indy kc and the famous 92 yard baltimore drive that they did blow where flacco completed i believe 14 of 21 3rd down conversions!! Thats the number u should be looking at; how many times they get off the field; because they just cant seem to do it consitanyly when it actually matters!!

Curtain_of_Steel
12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Def can't put pressure on them playing 10 yards off the line. Even sanchez the king of dinks wouldve picked us a part in that scheme.

49ers gave up 18 sacks in the last how many games? 3 or 4? We had zero.

The report card better show F's to everyone and a double F to the coaching staff.

steelersfan77
12-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I was NOT impressed with them, other than their Defensive Line. We played so poorly, if it was the Packers, Saints, or Patriots, the score would have been like 58-3

deleted:

JCPsteelers
12-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Didn't play well but he was going to be on a play count going into the game so this isn't shocking

Woodley is the least amount of the Steelers defense problems. The inside LBs have been weak all year.

DanRooney
12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Woodley wasn't ready to play. He was so slow in pursuit of McCoy on that 10 yard scramble after schooling the 49ers RT. If he was healthy I'm pretty sure that would of been a sack.

Hines0wnz
12-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Our D??? That d made a very average qb look like rodgers last night!!

Holy Hyperbole Hairball. You mean more like Mark Sanchez....Smith is too scared to throw the ball down the field. He had 187 yds passing and 1 TD pass. Those are hardly Aaron Rodgers numbers. They rely on an opportunistic/athletic/physical D, a solid running game and timely short to medium passes for a balanced offense. Hmmm......reminds of a team back in the 2005 season....

Danny136200
12-20-2011, 05:07 PM

3-6 game, offense finally on board, with the defense shutting the niners down so far in the second half. Then they let Vernon Davis go off. Niners go on a 5 play - 79 yard drive and score a TD. that was a huge turning point and I thought Ben was getting hot and could have lead them to another methodical scoring drive to tie it or take the lead if the defense could have stopped them.

That being said, four turnovers was just simply unacceptable and that did not really give the defense a chance in this game. After the fumble, the D stopped them for a FG, but some bogus leaping call gave the niners a second chance, they took it and the game unreachable.

Fire Arians
12-20-2011, 05:10 PM
we don't pay him 36 million for being out of shape

DanRooney
12-20-2011, 05:21 PM
We could have used a few dong sacks last night.

Fire Arians
12-20-2011, 05:22 PM

:chuckle:

theplatypus
12-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Oh really? I could of sworn the 49ers were 4-13 on 3rd down last night, but don't let the facts get in the way. We didn't have pressure on the QB because their QB actually did his job and got rid of the ball. Unlike our own QB that held onto the ball and forced it into coverage repeatedly. Ben killed 5 possessions all by himself last night(3 ints,fumble, and clock mismanagement).You only get on average 12 possessions per game and when your qb wastes almost 50% of them you're all but guaranteed to lose.

tanda10506
12-20-2011, 06:42 PM
The defense did play well until late in the game. Stats aside, it did make Smith look like Rodgers, I actually have that in another post. The pass rush sucked and the cushions were ridiculous but overall the defense played well. Glad Woodley played it smart, the game looked like a loss from halftime, would have really sucked if he reaggrivated it.

IowaSteeler927
12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Smith looked nothing like Aaron Rodgers. What I saw was a guy who can't throw a deep ball and a guy who has problems with his accuracy. He overthrew receivers or just plain missed them a good portion of plays and even missed a pathetically easy one in the middle of the endzone to a wide open receiver. The Niners are one of the worst red zone teams in the NFL and their defense is the real reason that they are winning games. Alex Smith is a glorified game manager.

defence
12-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Oh really? I could of sworn the 49ers were 4-13 on 3rd down last night, but don't let the facts get in the way. We didn't have pressure on the QB because their QB actually did his job and got rid of the ball. Unlike our own QB that held onto the ball and forced it into coverage repeatedly. Ben killed 5 possessions all by himself last night(3 ints,fumble, and clock mismanagement).You only get on average 12 possessions per game and when your qb wastes almost 50% of them you're all but guaranteed to lose.

Facts!! The d couldn't get off the field when it mattered!! The facts or stats also give u maybe 3 or 4 3 and outs when the niners were just running the ball to kill time!! 6 3 ball game and the offence at that point seemed to have a bit of momentum and the defence could not hold when it mattered!! If u read my post; this was a team loss; but don't sit here and point the finger at one guy!! My opinion; this d is overrated and and lacks the ability to be opportunistic!! Reason why there plus minus turnover ratio is so bad; will haunt them in games against tough playoff teams!!

queeg
12-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Facts!! The d couldn't get off the field when it mattered!! The facts or stats also give u maybe 3 or 4 3 and outs when the niners were just running the ball to kill time!! 6 3 ball game and the offence at that point seemed to have a bit of momentum and the defence could not hold when it mattered!! If u read my post; this was a team loss; but don't sit here and point the finger at one guy!! My opinion; this d is overrated and and lacks the ability to be opportunistic!! Reason why there plus minus turnover ratio is so bad; will haunt them in games against tough playoff teams!!

SF is a warm up game in playoffs...they play little ball with Brees or Rodgers....bye bye SF

Aussie Steeler
12-21-2011, 12:51 AM
i agree the defense didnt really give the offense a chance. now im not bagging on the defense cos i dont think they played a bad game but rather a very average game. all those long fields we had to drive against a great san fran defense took its toll. smith had his way in the secondary esp in play action passes we got fooled and if he hit one or two of his long throws they woulda went for touchdowns.

StainlessStill
12-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Smith looking like Aaron Rodgers? I don't think so. In fact, the 9'ers could have put us out EARLY if Rodgers was their quarterback, missing that pass in the endzone and then turning around and over-throwing a WIDE OPEN, Frank Gore, who would have walked in just as easy as Vernon Davis did later on in the game.

That said, the defense played quite well up into that defensive breakdown drive after that 51 yard FG by Suisham. I think the 9'ers, at that point, knew we weren't capable on offense and that's where they opened up their play book for the final kill.

Steeldude
12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Take it easy there!! He is not in game shape and believe me; unlike the reports u are hearing that he is healthy; he isn't!! outside of him and harrison; there is no one that can consitantly get to the qb!!! Woirlds hahaha!!!! Can u spell b u s t!!!!

through their first 5 starts of the season...

woodley: 19 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 pass defense, 1 INT
worilds: 22 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 pass defense, 1 forced fumble

Steeldude
12-21-2011, 12:37 PM

unfortunately the TE didn't fall over

MasterOfPuppets
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
my new excuse for calling off work now is....I'M FEELING A BIT FATIGUED :applaudit:

has anyone tried this or does it only work for athletes making millions ?

ricardisimo
12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

:rofl:

defence
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Now this is hilarious!! u are comparing an injured pro bowl linebacker to a player who; i hope i'm wrong; is looking like a very average player!!! So what are you trying to imply with the stats??? Woirlds is better??? whatever makes u sleep at night i guess lol!!!:thumbsup:

defence
12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
:rofl:

I agree with u there buddy!!!:rofl:

ricardisimo
12-21-2011, 01:43 PM
I agree with u there buddy!!!:rofl:
No, you don't. Woodley's improved a little bit this year, but he's been a bit of a one-trick pony, and he can be blocked by big, strong linemen (whereas Harrison simply cannot be, whether hurt or healthy). He needs to be at full strength to help us out, and I think we should consider sitting him entirely, or maybe just use him to spell Worilds, rather than the other way around.

And for the record, Worilds has been hurt pretty badly this year as well, and yet there they are, neck-and-neck through their first five as Steeldude pointed out. I don't see how you can call a guy a bust who is productive in limited time, despite having two Pro Bowlers playing in front of him (and being hurt). That's just weird.

defence
12-22-2011, 12:14 AM
No, you don't. Woodley's improved a little bit this year, but he's been a bit of a one-trick pony, and he can be blocked by big, strong linemen (whereas Harrison simply cannot be, whether hurt or healthy). He needs to be at full strength to help us out, and I think we should consider sitting him entirely, or maybe just use him to spell Worilds, rather than the other way around.

And for the record, Worilds has been hurt pretty badly this year as well, and yet there they are, neck-and-neck through their first five as Steeldude pointed out. I don't see how you can call a guy a bust who is productive in limited time, despite having two Pro Bowlers playing in front of him (and being hurt). That's just weird.

Hey ricardo; sorry i misunderstood!! No point in arguing!! You guys have your opinion and i respect that!! I agree with u at this point in the season; woodley should rest for playoffs because in my opinion; i would much rather have a healthy woodley over woirlds ANY day!! I hope woirlds turns out to be harrisons pro bowl replacement!! But my gut feeling; i dont feel that!! Happy holidays guys; lets get ready to kick some butt and have a few drinks on top!!

Bayz101
12-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Hey ricardo; sorry i misunderstood!! No point in arguing!! You guys have your opinion and i respect that!! I agree with u at this point in the season; woodley should rest for playoffs because in my opinion; i would much rather have a healthy woodley over woirlds ANY day!! I hope woirlds turns out to be harrisons pro bowl replacement!! But my gut feeling; i dont feel that!! Happy holidays guys; lets get ready to kick some butt and have a few drinks on top!!

Classy way to reply. Sometimes things get out of hand and I give you rep for handling it the right way.

ricardisimo
12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Exactly. The only question is what's the better approach? Keeping him off the field entirely, with the risk of rust; or using him very sparingly, with the risk of tweaking his hammy? :noidea:

Happy holidays, and cheers!
:drink: :tt03: :cheers: :alcohol:

TRH
12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Woodley's playing "OK" (except for the 49er game), but he's certainly not playing like a $10 million dollar man.

harrison'samonster
12-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Woodley's playing "OK" (except for the 49er game), but he's certainly not playing like a $10 million dollar man.

that's true, but Woodley and Harrison really benefit from having each other on the field together. They might tear some people up in the playoffs.

harrison'samonster
12-22-2011, 08:17 PM
my new excuse for calling off work now is....I'M FEELING A BIT FATIGUED :applaudit:

has anyone tried this or does it only work for athletes making millions ?

I might give that a try, I didn't know it was a valid excuse either. We'll see what my boss says on Monday.

defence
12-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Exactly. The only question is what's the better approach? Keeping him off the field entirely, with the risk of rust; or using him very sparingly, with the risk of tweaking his hammy? :noidea:

Happy holidays, and cheers!
:drink: :tt03: :cheers: :alcohol:

I'm not a doctor; but what i'm hearing is the best medicine for his type of injury is rest!! So i guess rest at this point makes sense for any of the walking wounded!! I think our boys just have to play better overall! What makes you guy's the best sports fans in the world is your passion for the greatest team in the world!! Just happy to share and be around!! Cheers guys!!:drink:

harrison'samonster
12-22-2011, 08:27 PM
rest makes sense for this team right now. They've gotten into the playoffs and the only way the Rams and Browns can truly beat us is through injuries.