PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward's last game at Heinz?

jjpro11
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
could this be it?

Buddha Bus
12-21-2011, 06:39 PM
I think so. He'll be greatly missed.

Atlanta Dan
12-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Probably so and it looks doubtful Hines will get to 1000 catches - hard to see anyone else picking him up after 2011

Something else that turned with Ben's injury in the Browns game - if that would have turned into the blowout it should have been IMO there would have been several catches for Hines during garbage time in that game with more to come against the Rams

Now Hines is behind Cotchery (a great pick-up:thumbsup:) on the depth chart and Ed. B. of the P-G thinks how this has been handled is a shame

Ed: Steelers Freezing Out Ward

Is Hines Ward being frozen out of the offense and with it his chance to reach 1,000 receptions?

After Ward was demoted in Cincinnati Nov. 13, he was bumped back up the following game, after the bye, in Kansas City. However, he's back to playing behind Jerrico Cotchery and has only one reception for six yards in the past two games -- the only one they threw to him. He had nine receptions in the two games before that combined.

He still needs nine to hit 1,000. Doesn't Hines Ward deserve the chance? They're not even giving him the chance. Ward is not charity case here; he's their most prolific pass receiver in history and he's still got enough to go out there and be productive and help this team. Yet, they think Cotchery gives them the better chance to win.

Ward is still saying all the right things. To me, the Steelers are doing him wrong. This isn't about playing to win; Ward gives you a chance to win. It seems to me, someone has it out for him.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114018-ed-steelers-freezing-out-ward

Yikes - sounds to me like Ed.B. is calling out Tomlin:jawdrop: I of course prefer to blame this (along with global warming and the Euro crisis) on Arians

All careers end but hate to see a legendary Steeler go out like this, although it could be worse - old folks like me remember how it ended for Franco Harris in 1984

steelerchad
12-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Damn- Hines is one of my all time favorites. but he clearly declined last year and it continues this year. Football games in the NFL are generally close and you have to go full speed with your best players and Hines isn't it now. He's a great guy to have as a #4.

casteeler
12-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Hines is my favorite Steeler of all time! The #86 will be retired after his departure, man that's gonna be a very sad day.

ricardisimo
12-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that this is Hines' last year. I realize that he's an extremely expensive #4 or #5 based solely on his numbers, but his value to the team goes beyond that, I think. I do believe he's a big part of why Sanders and Brown have blossomed, as well as why Wallace has so quickly shed the "one-trick pony" moniker.

Hines - slow as molasses - still gets open somehow regularly, and up until very recently was the best at holding onto the ball despite some mean licks in the open field. And then there's the blocking. Those are tricks of the trade, and he might still have one more year of teaching in him.

harrison'samonster
12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I hope it's not just wishful thinking, but I agree that Hines might have another year in him. He's always been motivated to prove the nay-sayers wrong. That might be enough motivation to give him one more year.

Of course, if we win the SB, then he might just hang it up. He's been one of my favorite Steelers of all time.

Rick5895
12-21-2011, 08:39 PM
If it us Hines last game at Heinz field then I hope we build a quick 2 or 3 td lead and feed him the ball. He needs 9 catches to hit 1000. Do I think it will happen....no. But its a nice thought.
And I am old enough to know how Franco left and ended his career. I reality hope that doesn't happen to Ward.

TRH
12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
i've been puzzled as i've heard the announcers say (more than several times.....), that "Hines is now on the field, etc"........then nothing. Nothings being thrown his way.

tanda10506
12-22-2011, 12:17 AM
I think he will play another year if he doesn't get 1000, he seemed really set on playing till he gets it. It is a shame how it has been handled. He is just as good or IMO better in the redzone than anybody except maybe Miller. The offense seems better with Brown in over Hines, I don't think that's a question, but in games like monday night's where Brown and Wallace disappear, Hines should get put in. I disagree with him being #4 or 5, he should be #3. I hope this isn't his last game, if it is they need to sign him as a WR coach.

PhantomJB93
12-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Probably so and it looks doubtful Hines will get to 1000 catches

I have a feeling part of the gameplan against the Browns is going to involve an awful lot of Hines-bubble screens to get him there. Same thing with the Rams this Saturday if we get a huge early lead, might just throw short passes to him late in the game to get him to 1000 in front of the home crowd for the last time (he only needs 9)

Bayz101
12-22-2011, 12:33 AM
God man. The day he retires will be a rough one for me. Gonna miss him.

StainlessStill
12-22-2011, 01:46 AM
i've been puzzled as i've heard the announcers say (more than several times.....), that "Hines is now on the field, etc"........then nothing. Nothings being thrown his way.

I said the same thing, TRH. Everytime Hines is on the field, I feel like he's going to make a huge play for us. We rarely look his way anymore and he's just being used as a decoy for being "Hines Ward." The name is now more than the player in our offense. A shame since I thought Hines would of been a nice switchup for San Fran's defense taking away the deep ball. That gives Hines his shot to beat them at his own game with underneath and possession route running.

I've been to every Steelers game in Heinz to where Hines Ward broke a milestone. Kind of weird! I'll be there Sunday to what might be his last. I hope we get him 9. For some reason, I think he does it! Rams a perfect defense to do so! Sad day when a Steelers-Warrior retires.

Opt2loc
12-22-2011, 06:39 AM
One good thing if he retires is that he won't be on the "most dirtiest players in the NFL" list anymore.

SteelCityMom
12-22-2011, 06:45 AM
"Most dirtiest"? :chuckle:

He's had a great career, and WILL be in the HOF one day. Whether it's this year or next year though, I'll truly miss seeing him out on the field.

plenewken
12-22-2011, 06:50 AM
"Most dirtiest"? :chuckle:

He's had a great career, and WILL be in the HOF one day. Whether it's this year or next year though, I'll truly miss seeing him out on the field.

Same here. I believe he could have made a difference Monday night. He would have been the perfect target for an injured Ben, but no, Arians prefers >20yds pass from an injured QB who couldn't throw for sh*t. <sigh>

BIGNASTY91
12-22-2011, 08:21 AM
One good thing if he retires is that he won't be on the "most dirtiest players in the NFL" list anymore.

Really man! Everytime you chime into one of our threads you have something smart to say. We are having a discussion about a steeler great, lets just keep it at that!:mad:
:tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

DanRooney
12-22-2011, 08:28 AM
He'll get to his1,000 receptions in the next two meaningless games.

DanRooney
12-22-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm not entirely convinced that this is Hines' last year. I realize that he's an extremely expensive #4 or #5 based solely on his numbers, but his value to the team goes beyond that, I think. I do believe he's a big part of why Sanders and Brown have blossomed, as well as why Wallace has so quickly shed the "one-trick pony" moniker.

Hines - slow as molasses - still gets open somehow regularly, and up until very recently was the best at holding onto the ball despite some mean licks in the open field. And then there's the blocking. Those are tricks of the trade, and he might still have one more year of teaching in him.

Hines Ward also helped Limas Sweed flourish :wink02:

StainlessStill
12-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Hines Ward also helped Limas Sweed flourish :wink02:

What do you want Hines to do? Put glue on Sweed's gloves like the Little Giants? Sweed's a total bust. A mentally disfigured kid that never never translated his game to the NFL level. Never took a veteran like Ward's word for it.

steelfury02
12-22-2011, 08:54 AM
who exactly would be out to get him and for what reason?

Ward has never been a problem and this issue of getting his catches is only amplified because of loser's regret by the media due to the huge loss against the Niners - it is a way to focus on something else to try and ease the sting of some huge letdowns this season

Let's face the facts - a lot of people are overselling this group of receivers. They are by no means mentally tough and by no means have proven anything yet. This group of young receivers has played great in 3 huge games - 2010 Division v. Ravens. 2010 AFC Champ game v. Jets and this year's game against Patriots. All those games had a lot riding on them, and they prevailed.

Equally - this group of receivers has not shown up and have made a lot of errors in the biggest of stages. They are young, and severely inexperienced. You can't expect rookies to survive a SB setting - I'm sure that had to be intimidating as hell. Also, Twice this season we were faced with getting a grip on the AFC and twice they didn't show up. If you think this offense is good you are correct -but only at Heinz. They look like some some WPIAL single A team on the road - completely lost, unfocused, unprepared and affected by home crowd emotion. 4-3 on the road is normally ok - but in the 3 losses, and even in some wins - the offense just is out right horrid.

This argument is only more fitting because of the fact they felt the need to grab a vet and to keep Hines. If they truly felt comfortable, we'd have an identity and be torching teams. The defense did its job - they only held them to 20 points on the road - and the majority of those points were scored on a short field thanks to 1 inept offense. When you are praying the Steelers offense gets a short field and wish the Niners punter wasn't so damn good - you know your offense is bad

Let's call a spade a spade

Opt2loc
12-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Really man! Everytime you chime into one of our threads you have something smart to say. We are having a discussion about a steeler great, lets just keep it at that!:mad:
:tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

That is simply not true. Sure I like to to take jabs sometimes, so what.
If you go back and look at my post history, I don't chime in "everytime" to be a smart ass. I actually have praised your coach a couple of times.:thumbsup:

GeoGiant
12-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Maybe Baltimore will pick him up.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I do think that if he takes a huge paycut Hines should be back with us for one more year next year. Who would you rather have has a 4 or 5, some unproven nobody or a Hall of Fame player and team leader like Hines is? If it is the last one Saturday, however, I hope that the team will give the fans a platform to say goodbye and thank you, because #86 has stood for everything that a Pittsburgh Steeler is since he first stepped on the field here.

jjpro11
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Ed Reed will finally be able to take his head off the swivel.

PeRK82
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Im not trying to troll your forums guys, im really not, nothing going on , on the RAVENS forums.

I feel your pain about Hines, Us RAVENS fans were not too happy about getting rid of HEAP and MASON. But at the end of the day , it was a good move. I still miss Heap's Blocking Ability, thats the only thing missing from both of our Current T.E, great Catchers but ok at best in Blocking.

PeRK82
12-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Maybe Baltimore will pick him up.

LOLOLOL, i hope your joking, why would we want him. Especially after we got rid of Mason. Ravens have Serious Depth at WR, we are stacked in that department and can only get better with the young guys. Laq. Williams is a up and comer that i see doing great thing for Baltimore, i will be highly pissed if we get rid of him. He is my favorite offensive player on the team.

Hines0wnz
12-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I hope not..........but if it is, he has been a great Steeler for a long time.

:tt02:

DanRooney
12-22-2011, 02:13 PM
What do you want Hines to do? Put glue on Sweed's gloves like the Little Giants? Sweed's a total bust. A mentally disfigured kid that never never translated his game to the NFL level. Never took a veteran like Ward's word for it.

Other Ward accomplishments:

-Made Mike Wallace go from fast to super fast!
-Made Brown the hardest working player on our offense
-Made Jerricho Cotchery better than him
-Made Sanders miss more games

Intangibles.

MACH1
12-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Other Ward accomplishments:

-Made Mike Wallace go from fast to super fast!
-Made Brown the hardest working player on our offense
-Made Jerricho Cotchery better than him
-Made Sanders have more surgeries

Intangibles.

All that to go along with his padded stats.

DanRooney
12-22-2011, 02:18 PM
All that to go along with his padded stats.

He'll have a lot of that with Batch probably in next week. :thumbsup:

harrison'samonster
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Im not trying to troll your forums guys, im really not, nothing going on , on the RAVENS forums.

I feel your pain about Hines, Us RAVENS fans were not too happy about getting rid of HEAP and MASON. But at the end of the day , it was a good move. I still miss Heap's Blocking Ability, thats the only thing missing from both of our Current T.E, great Catchers but ok at best in Blocking.

had Heap's abilities really dropped off, or was it injury problems that made them let him go?

Ward has been a warrior and has been a huge reason the Steeler / Raven rivalry has become so heated. You gotta love the guy!

steelbad@50
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
If this is Hines last season, theres no better way to send him off then with a Super Bowl win with him catching the game winner.You never know, It could happen:wink02:

tanda10506
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Another good thing is dbags like yourself will have one less thing to whine about. :thumbsup:

ricardisimo
12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Another good thing is dbags like yourself will have one less thing to whine about. :thumbsup:

Now, now... tone it down. He's not a bad poster at all. And the forums wouldn't be nearly as much fun without the occasional brave, honest Ravens fan logging in in February to congratulate us and wish us luck in the Super Bowl.