PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh influencing the officials Monday - this is a problem in the NFL

LayingTheWoodley56
12-22-2011, 11:26 AM
As I think we all believe, that "leaping" call on Timmons was absolutely ridiculous. First of all, I've never seen that penalty called EVER. And even if you're going to call it, Lawrence was innocent of any of the charges. I don't know how many of you saw them showing Harbaugh yapping to the officials earlier in the game asking for that penalty (they showed it after it was called) - how can an official possibly be influenced to that point by a coach to where he obediently calls the penalty the coach was asking for earlier even if it's not there? You see this all the time do with recievers hopping up asking for a pass interference call and a flag comes in four seconds later (perhaps my biggest NFL pet peeve.) The officials should call what they see, plain and simple. They shouldn't be granting players and coaches' requests.

lipps83
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I have seen that called before.

While obviously it wasn't a penalty and shouldn't have been called, the official must have been watching for it after getting chewed out by Harbaugh and thought he saw it take place from where he was at the time so threw the flag. I think the official legitimately thought he saw it happen. From where he was standing it might have looked like it happened. I don't think he called it just to make Harbaugh happy.

I think that was a smart play by Harbaugh. I do think he thought he saw it happen on the first field goal which is why he blew up. If I was a coach/player, I would try the same thing if it could give me an advantage over the opposing team. Its the same thing with a coach yelling at the official every third play that they didn't call holding or pass interference.

You are just mad it happened to the Steelers. Things like this happen to every team.

FanSince72
12-22-2011, 12:05 PM
...You are just mad it happened to the Steelers. Things like this happen to every team.

Exactly.

Home teams influencing officials has been going on ever since there were home teams and officials.

I'll bet that if you kept track of such things you'd find that over time, the calls for and against the home team balance out.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm speaking purely in terms of the nature of the penalty here. I understand that common calls such as holding and PI can be called as a result of a coach being in an official's ear for an entire game. My point is that the "leaping" penalty - which I have never heard of, and I've watched a lot of football - that was called (wrongfully to boot) was almost certainly a result of Harbaugh drawing it to the officials' attention during the game, and I don't think that a penalty should be called just because a coach told a ref to look for it.

PeRK82
12-22-2011, 02:22 PM
As I think we all believe, that "leaping" call on Timmons was absolutely ridiculous. First of all, I've never seen that penalty called EVER. And even if you're going to call it, Lawrence was innocent of any of the charges. I don't know how many of you saw them showing Harbaugh yapping to the officials earlier in the game asking for that penalty (they showed it after it was called) - how can an official possibly be influenced to that point by a coach to where he obediently calls the penalty the coach was asking for earlier even if it's not there? You see this all the time do with recievers hopping up asking for a pass interference call and a flag comes in four seconds later (perhaps my biggest NFL pet peeve.) The officials should call what they see, plain and simple. They shouldn't be granting players and coaches' requests.

Its in the Rule Book, Harbs. just brang it up because i dont even think the Zebras knew the rule in full, Im probably being Bias but it was the right call, as much as it hurt and actually pretty much sealed the game.

Hines0wnz
12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
What

PeRK82
12-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Exactly.

Home teams influencing officials has been going on ever since there were home teams and officials.

I'll bet that if you kept track of such things you'd find that over time, the calls for and against the home team balance out.

I bet you any money in the world , that Refs get thee best gifts for Christmas from all N.F.L coaches , heck if i was a coach, id be kissing their Azz. You never know that gift could be a tipping point for a Ref to make a call go the other way. I think that made sense,lol.

BengalDestroyer
12-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Tell me about it these Harbaugh guys are a couple of whine ass bitches, excuse my language but I am taking it easy. I hate both of them all they ever do is complain.

ricardisimo
12-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Tell me about it these Harbaugh guys are a couple of whine ass bitches, excuse my language but I am taking it easy. I hate both of them all they ever do is complain.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Period.

BengalDestroyer
12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
you got that right, still hate 'em

fer522
12-22-2011, 05:17 PM
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Period.

:thumbsup:
That's the problem with our coach he seems to always be satisfied with all the calls
You got to show some emotion every now and then

ricardisimo
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
:thumbsup:
That's the problem with our coach he seems to always be satisfied with all the calls
You got to show some emotion every now and then
Yeah, but there's other, classier ways to do it, and I think Tomlin has that down. Being a whiny little punk all the time has its detriments as well, and I suspect those guys lose control of the locker room more easily than a guy like Tomlin or Dungy. That act gets real old, real quick.

tenn1968
12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=FanSince72;974344]Exactly.

I'll bet that if you kept track of such things you'd find that over time, the calls for and against the home team balance out.[/Q

SI published a statistical analysis last year that showed that by far the main reason for home field advantage is refs and umps favoring the home team. This is true for all sports, not just NFL.

Their analysis showed crowd noise has little affect on player performance. For example in the NBA free throw percentage made is the same for home and visiting teams. The fans yelling at the opposing player who is shooting a foul shot does not affect his percentage made one iota.

What the fans yelling does effect is the officials. There is an urge for humans to want to please a crowd, to get swept up in the crowds emotion. That is why officials give the home team a big advantage, in all sports studied.

TRH
12-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, penalty legitimately called or not, or Harbaugh influencing or not, i've watched this behavior closely for the last 2 years.
The refs are now "minions" for the league office. They make calls as if they're afraid they might be "fired".

Example? You want pass interference called? Here's all you have to do: A pass is thrown to you and the defender is really, really close on tight, excellent coverage and breaks up the pass. No flag immediately. So what do you do?
Start jumping up and down and gyrating like a crazy lunatic and all of a sudden, magically, a yellow flag comes out of a pocket and is thrown.
The refs have gotten so timid, they can't even make the calls on their own judgement. Its sickening.
So its not just Harbaugh's games.

Twentyvalve
12-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Props to Harbaugh for doing that. I am all for it. It is not illegal, and it apparently works. However . . .

Jim Harbaugh is a meathead. I bet he yells at the mailman, the door guy, his dog, waitresses, and the Candlestick Park staff that way. He does not do it because he thinks it will work, he just does it because well, that is what he does. His brother is the same way. Imagine what the father is like, they had to learn that somewhere.

Remember a year or two ago John Harbaugh pushed the ref? For some reason, nobody made a big deal about it and of course, no punishment. He explained that it was no big deal, the ref was friend.

I hate those two pinheads.

harrison'samonster
12-22-2011, 09:31 PM
yeah this is definitely a problem in the NFL, and I have tremendous respect for Tomlin acting like a grown man on the field. I'd like to see him get fired up every once in a while, but he's definitely acting like a grown man out there and not a little whiner.

Darkstorm05
12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, penalty legitimately called or not, or Harbaugh influencing or not, i've watched this behavior closely for the last 2 years.
The refs are now "minions" for the league office. They make calls as if they're afraid they might be "fired".

Example? You want pass interference called? Here's all you have to do: A pass is thrown to you and the defender is really, really close on tight, excellent coverage and breaks up the pass. No flag immediately. So what do you do?
Start jumping up and down and gyrating like a crazy lunatic and all of a sudden, magically, a yellow flag comes out of a pocket and is thrown.
The refs have gotten so timid, they can't even make the calls on their own judgement. Its sickening.
So its not just Harbaugh's games.

IMO, the refs are getting bad in a lot of ways, and not at all just with us. Think it was the Chargers last year where one of the players made a big stink about a ref looking up at a replay on the big video screen and throwing a flag while watching the footage. I need to go dig up the details on that, because it was pretty bad, if true.

JCPsteelers
12-22-2011, 11:28 PM
NO problem with Harbaugh working the officials. What Heyward did was illegal and wasn't called.

plenewken
12-23-2011, 08:35 AM
IMO, the refs are getting bad in a lot of ways, and not at all just with us. Think it was the Chargers last year where one of the players made a big stink about a ref looking up at a replay on the big video screen and throwing a flag while watching the footage. I need to go dig up the details on that, because it was pretty bad, if true.

Do you remember the TD by Cincy against Baltimore which was overturned after more than 10mn of intense scrutiny by the refs, because, supposedly, the ball moved in the player's hands when he hit the ground?
This was a travesty.
I am 100% convinced that officiating is influenced by Las Vegas. Strange things happen when $$$$$$ are on the line.

Darkstorm05
12-23-2011, 02:57 PM
I am 100% convinced that officiating is influenced by Las Vegas. Strange things happen when $$$$$$ are on the line.

I remember all sorts of discussion about this years back when they whistled a run back TD dead on Polamalu, which sealed the win for us either way, but nullifying the TD meant we won but didn't cover the spread.

Link to an article on the call...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3707245

BleedPurple
12-23-2011, 03:08 PM

When a ref misses a call, a head coach always tells them they miss it and to look out for it going forward. This sometimes results in getting a call that might be questionable later on. Everyone does it, and it is nothing remotely new.

austinfrench76
12-23-2011, 04:14 PM
I have been saying this all year!!! Too many "begged for penalties"!!!!! Absolutely BS! I hope it doesn't carry into the post season!

Bayz101
12-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Iv'e noticed several times that if a few players whine and jump around enough the referees will sometimes throw a flag. The funny thing is, it always seems to be our opponents, lol.

Darkstorm05
12-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Iv'e noticed several times that if a few players whine and jump around enough the referees will sometimes throw a flag. The funny thing is, it always seems to be our opponents, lol.

IMO, this behavior is as bad as all the flopping going on, and if they're going to penalize some of the silly celebrations(And the flopping), this should be a penalty too. Receiver jumps up doing a jig for a flag, or Brady feels a gust of wind as someone falls down beside him and goes into his dance, 15 yard unsportsmanlike on the offending drama queen. because when it comes down to it, if celebrating a big TD with your team mates is unsportsmanlike, surely throwing a tantrum on the field trying to get a flag thrown is, too.

Eztarget
12-23-2011, 09:54 PM
That stupid call cost me my FF final. I was winning but 3 points and he had Frank Gore playing. When they took those points off the board and Gore scored I lost.

I hate the Harbaugh's both of them.