PDA

View Full Version : Vontaze Burfict

PhantomJB93
12-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Does anyone think the Steelers would draft this guy? He's sliding down draft boards due to "attitude problems," but it's not off the field stuff, it's on-field temper tantrums (even tonight against Boise State he had some personal foul called for "saying something" to an opposing player). I know that's still a stretch as far as our track record goes with trying guys out with character concerns, but at least he's not off getting himself in trouble with the law. He was considered a top ten pick by a lot of people before the season started, and is an absolute beast at ILB (he didn't finish the season strong this year but has a track record for being a great player and playing with a Harrison/Lloyd-esque ferocity). And if he were there when we select, it would be hard not to consider him the "top player on the board" unless some miracle guy falls.

I've seen a ton of mock drafts sending him our way lately, and I know I'm rooting for us to draft him, not just because of his physical ability but his emotional problems that are holding him back from being a higher pick seem like something that could be fixed by being in a stable organization/locker room like ours. Just a month ago it would have been a miracle for him to fall to us and now it seems like an actual possibility.

ricardisimo
12-23-2011, 03:24 AM
He's a first-round pick, and we will be picking 32nd, so it's unlikely. We're drafting a guard, which is what you get when you pick last. It turns out that's exactly what we need, which is nice.

This should probably be moved to the draft war room.

DanRooney
12-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Why draft an ILB when "Farrior had one of his best season ever last year?" :chuckle:

In the non-delusional world, he'd be a great pick. I have 4 ILBs that are a first round grade. I'm still liking Hightower.

Rick5895
12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Why draft an ILB when "Farrior had one of his best season ever last year?" :chuckle:

In the non-delusional world, he'd be a great pick. I have 4 ILBs that are a first round grade. I'm still liking Hightower.

I like Hightower as well, but do you think he will be there for us. I see us in at least the AFCCG this year so that means picking 28 or lower. I am not so sure he would be there.

MasterOfPuppets
12-23-2011, 07:14 PM

hightower better do better than the 4.80 40 time they are predicting him to run if he's going to be a 1st round pick.
i remember brandon spikes draft stock dropped like a ton of bricks because of a shitty 40 time.

ricardisimo
12-23-2011, 07:49 PM

As I recall, you thought Sweed and Gibson were steals, Timmons a bust, and Woodley a reach... is that about right?

PhantomJB93
12-24-2011, 04:33 AM
He's a first-round pick, and we will be picking 32nd, so it's unlikely. We're drafting a guard, which is what you get when you pick last. It turns out that's exactly what we need, which is nice.

This should probably be moved to the draft war room.

That's exactly the thing though, he WAS a sure first round pick but he's been dropped to a late first/early second round grade by most people. Of course we don't really know what the NFL teams are actually thinking but as far as I can tell it sounds like he could fall to us (with Kuechly, Teo, and Hightower being select prior). In which case, I would take him over just about any guard that would be left at that point.

ricardisimo
12-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Colbert has never drafted defense consecutively, and the fact that we will very likely finish 1st overall on D yet again suggests to me that guard is more likely.

That said, it is troubling that our top two tacklers are Clark and Polamalu, our safeties. That suggests that a) Timmons is no good outside; and b) Farrior's days are numbered.

However, "Steelers" and "character issues" don't get uttered together a whole lot. It happens, but not too often.

FireOmarTomlin
01-12-2012, 01:00 PM
the guy is a physical phenom, plays angry as hell, seems to have good instincts, and seems to hate losing, and has the speed to play deep in his zone which will help mask troy/clark as they continue to slow down a bit . if there's any team where his 'red flags' might be tempered I think it's here. I think he's must draft. Farrior has been to slow to play for going on 2-3 years now. Draft him, let Farrior go, resign Foote to minimum (if he'll take it), and use the cap $ to address OL via FA for now. With Harrison/Worilds, Timmons, Woodley, and him in place the LB corps is set for excellence for 5+ years.

Kingmagyar
01-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Vontaze Burfict sounds a little like Joey Porter. We would have an excellent group of linebackers if he joined the fold, and he may just be the splash of energy and emotion the defense needs since Joey Porter left.

There was mention above about someone thinking Timmons is a bust. Well at close to 9 million a year, guess what, he is a bust. Has to be the only player in the league making this much and not making a pro bowl.

MDSteel15
01-16-2012, 09:31 AM
As I recall, you thought Sweed and Gibson were steals, Timmons a bust, and Woodley a reach... is that about right?

:toofunny: :chuckle: :rofl:

MDSteel15
01-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Vontaze Burfict sounds a little like Joey Porter. We would have an excellent group of linebackers if he joined the fold, and he may just be the splash of energy and emotion the defense needs since Joey Porter left.

There was mention above about someone thinking Timmons is a bust. Well at close to 9 million a year, guess what, he is a bust. Has to be the only player in the league making this much and not making a pro bowl.

For one, he got screwed last year seeing that he statistically whipped Ray Lewis' azz and was snubbed... This year he was down but was playing all over due to injuries to othe LBs.. I wasn't a fan of his pick but he is growing on me!

ricardisimo
01-16-2012, 09:49 AM
You haven't taken a look at the Eagles' roster lately, have you?