PDA

View Full Version : officials need to get on the same page

daubs57
12-23-2011, 09:05 AM
the officials need to get together and discuss the penalty of roughing the passer . i watched the philly game and the calls against the bucs were total bs. the one call vick ducked down and the defender wrapped his arms around him and the threw a flag, absolutely a horrible call. the call needs to be the same across the board and it isnt. i was a high basketball offficial for 20 years and all the coaches wanted was the officials to be consistant. i no its not the nfl but the principal is the same. be consistant and it isnt. it seems some qbs get protected more than others. ben gets the crap knocked out of him when he scrambles and there very few late hit calls. im not whining its just that the refs are not making the call the same way across the board. i no its a judgement call but some are more obvious than others. enough about that now all i have to say is GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!:tt02:

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 01:41 PM
the officials need to get together and discuss the penalty of roughing the passer . i watched the philly game and the calls against the bucs were total bs. the one call vick ducked down and the defender wrapped his arms around him and the threw a flag, absolutely a horrible call. the call needs to be the same across the board and it isnt. i was a high basketball offficial for 20 years and all the coaches wanted was the officials to be consistant. i no its not the nfl but the principal is the same. be consistant and it isnt. it seems some qbs get protected more than others. ben gets the crap knocked out of him when he scrambles and there very few late hit calls. im not whining its just that the refs are not making the call the same way across the board. i no its a judgement call but some are more obvious than others. enough about that now all i have to say is GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!:tt02:

John Harbaugh said it Best, "DON'T GUESS" to the officials , BEST quote i have ever heard towards officials.

plenewken
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Officiating largely depends on whether the spread is covered or not .......

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Officiating largely depends on whether the spread is covered or not .......

I really do believe that now, before this season i thought it was B.S for someone to even think that. Now its almost like they arnt even trying to be sneaky about it.

stb_steeler
12-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Its common now a days...
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s43/coolman_48413/344498_full-1.jpg

tanda10506
12-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I really do believe that now, before this season i thought it was B.S for someone to even think that. Now its almost like they arnt even trying to be sneaky about it.

I've been wondering that too. If it gets proven, like it was proven in the NBA, that will be it for me and following the NFL. I don't care it it's in our favor or if it's in a game we are not even playing in, it's absolute garbage. One of the only things deterring me from thinking that's what's happening is how obvious they are being about it. This is the first year where EVERY game I watched, not just the Steeler's games, have had calls so bad that the announcers make a point to say that it was a bad call. For the longest time bad calls were just bad calls and announcers would use words like "questionable" or "tough", now the calls are blatantly obvious and announcers are coming out and saying "bad call" and "that was not a hold" etc. I mean would they really be that obvious about it after the NBA investigation and Tom Donahee getting years in federal prison? Either way it's obvious that the refs have to go, we need to get all new refs that are not senior citizens and that can pass a strenuous visual test. The commissioner can follow all the blatantly horrible senior citizens out the door too, wishful thinking I know, but it's a good solution.

harrison'samonster
12-23-2011, 07:57 PM
The refs inconsistancy seems to me to be a bigger health issue for the players than the hard hits. If the refs keep calling plays so inconsistantly then there should be no surprise that the players have a hard time understanding the rules.

If the NFL wants to start promoting player safety, then they should start with what they CAN control, and one of those things is how they call a game.

Twentyvalve
12-23-2011, 09:14 PM
What is most entertaining is when two referees run at one another after a play vigorously signaling different calls on the play whilst staring at each other. Then they all get together and discuss the play, to the dismay of one team.

Ten years ago, a call was made, players got pissed for a few seconds, and the game moved on. Now we are exposed to replays on jumbotrons at the game, replays at home just after, on the talking head shows at halftime, on NFL.com the next day, and on fan board long after.

What Ibelieve is happening is the league is in effect using technology to get the calls correct, but yet, the ultimate result is decided by a human, and not technology, which, despite the use of the technology, is still subjective, subject to error, and not perfect. And and because we the fans, at home, can see it as well as the referees, it just drags out the effects of a missed or bad call over days and weeks, as opposed to minutes if the calls were not subject to review. Referees deciding a call is a showcase of games.

The use of technology has intensified the problem of poor officiating, not helped it. We have the same access refs do. Why showcase human judgement? Make the call, move on. The NFL is like the government, trying to control every aspect of that which it is supposed to govern, but yet making the situation worse and telling everyone it has our best interest in mind when we know better.

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 11:05 PM
I've been wondering that too. If it gets proven, like it was proven in the NBA, that will be it for me and following the NFL. I don't care it it's in our favor or if it's in a game we are not even playing in, it's absolute garbage. One of the only things deterring me from thinking that's what's happening is how obvious they are being about it. This is the first year where EVERY game I watched, not just the Steeler's games, have had calls so bad that the announcers make a point to say that it was a bad call. For the longest time bad calls were just bad calls and announcers would use words like "questionable" or "tough", now the calls are blatantly obvious and announcers are coming out and saying "bad call" and "that was not a hold" etc. I mean would they really be that obvious about it after the NBA investigation and Tom Donahee getting years in federal prison? Either way it's obvious that the refs have to go, we need to get all new refs that are not senior citizens and that can pass a strenuous visual test. The commissioner can follow all the blatantly horrible senior citizens out the door too, wishful thinking I know, but it's a good solution.

Your right, i think i would be done with FOOTBALL, I dont like anyother sport either. I honestly think i would cry and i know i would go into a deep depression. FOOTBALL WOULD NEVER BE THE SAME.

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 11:09 PM

I said it to my buddy while the game was on RAVENS AT JAGS , that it was thee worst officiating i have ever witnessed in my life. But no matter what i would be bias so honestly we would need someone who is a fan of a NFC fan to watch. But it was just bad, trust me. And this was a MONDAY NIGHT GAME, shouldnt Officials have a great resume to be able to officiate national games.

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Also I said this last yr, I really do believe that OFFICIALS should be fined for BAD CALLS that Change the game. I bet anyone , that we wouldnt be seeing half the bullsht we see today.

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 11:14 PM
The refs inconsistancy seems to me to be a bigger health issue for the players than the hard hits. If the refs keep calling plays so inconsistantly then there should be no surprise that the players have a hard time understanding the rules.

If the NFL wants to start promoting player safety, then they should start with what they CAN control, and one of those things is how they call a game.

Eventually , i think every Flag called will go under review. Which makes more sense than anything. And the excuse of oh but the game will take forever to finish wont fly because games already take forever because of Commercials.

Bayz101
12-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Eventually , i think every Flag called will go under review. Which makes more sense than anything. And the excuse of oh but the game will take forever to finish wont fly because games already take forever because of Commercials.

I guess the ref's should have been fined when your receiver pushed off of DB and pulled in the winner, LOL

PeRK82
12-24-2011, 06:14 AM
I guess the ref's should have been fined when your receiver pushed off of DB and pulled in the winner, LOL

Guess he should have been fined also for the RAY RICE'S TD run that got called back because you CB pulled T.Smith on top of him. Great Oscar Nomination, it goes both ways my friend. Like i said, every flag should be reviewed, just like every T.D is now. Look how many were turned over for a TD or just short, its been unreal. And its fair, it doesnt take that much time. Usually under a commercial break that they would take anyways.