PDA

View Full Version : If Roethlisberger sits, what message does it send?

mesaSteeler
12-23-2011, 09:35 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Thursday, December 22, 2011
If Roethlisberger sits, what message does it send?

It now appears to be at least a 50-50 proposition that the Steelers will rest Ben Roethlisberger this weekend against St. Louis.

Roethlisberger did not practice again Thursday and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called him a game-time decision.

But what message does it send to the team if Roethlisberger, who said he feels better this week than he did last, doesn't play against the lowly Rams?

They don't need their best players to win?

They can afford to take the Rams lightly?

Roethlisberger did not suffer any kind of setback and if I were coaching the Steelers, he would at least start and hand the ball off a lot to Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman.

It now appears the Steelers will keep Maurkice Pouncey out of this game as well. But at least Pouncey didn't play last week.

It is probable that the Steelers will activate running back John Clay from their practice squad to replace injured Mewelde Moore.

Moore's injury, coupled with that of Jonathan Dwyer, leaves the Steelers with only Mendenhall and Redman.

plenewken
12-23-2011, 09:43 AM
If we can't beat the Rams without Ben, we don't deserve better than a #5 seed.

Rockonsteel
12-23-2011, 11:04 AM
That Ben is HURT! And that there is a reason they pay guys to be backups.

Rockon

Rick5895
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Rockon

Absolutely!! If we actually make a commitment to the running game and not ask Batch or Dixon to throw it 45 times we will be fine!!

truesteelerfan
12-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Agreed- if we play the odds here- I think its better to get Ben as healthy as possible for our P.O run. We should beat the Rams and Browns as a team, and the QB will just need to not lose the game. Charlie or Dennis can do that.

Rockonsteel
12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Agreed- if we play the odds here- I think its better to get Ben as healthy as possible for our P.O run. We should beat the Rams and Browns as a team, and the QB will just need to not lose the game. Charlie or Dennis can do that.

Exactly! I've been saying that forcing Ben to play in that 9ers game, begs one if two questions.

1. What does it say about the Tomlin's confidence in himself and his offensive staff, that they feel they have to rely on Ben at less than 50%, as opposed to going with your healthy backup, and winning as a team, rather solely on the shoulders/legs of Big Ben?

2. What does it say about Tomlin's confidence in the team as a whole that you feel they can't win with your backup guy,yet, you're always screaming how "the standard is the standard"?

I thought they did a bad job of handling that situation Monday night. Plain and simple. Now they need to give him a chance to get as healthy as possible before the playoffs begin. No matter what seed they land, if Ben is hobbling around like he was last week, the Steelers will be a quick exit from the tournament this year. I hope stubborness and the desire to highlight Ben's toughness does not cause this to be an issue.

Rockon

FanSince72
12-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I said this in another post and I'll say it again here...

Unless the Ravens' team bus drives off a bridge sometime in the next two weeks, it's a pretty sure bet that we're either going into the playoffs as a 5 or 6 seed.

In that case, we have no reason whatsoever to play Ben.
In fact, we should also rest Pouncey, Woodley, Troy and anyone else who needs to be getting well instead of getting hit and we should be doing this not just for the Ram game but also for the Cleveland game.

We do not have to win any of these games. Since that's true, we ought to be playing our bench and getting reps for the guys who never get them and we may even discover some talent we didn't even know we had which would be even more helpful in the post-season.

As far as the QB's go, we ARE talking about the Rams and the Browns.
If Batch or Dixon can't beat either of those teams, then they should not be wearing an NFL uniform or collecting an NFL paycheck.

The only reason to even care about winning either of these games is pride and ego and I can't see where either is more important than a healthy group of starters for the playoffs.

Forget the bye week.
We have an opportunity to have TWO bye weeks for our injured starters and if we don't use them to get ready for the playoffs then I wouldn't plan on being in the playoffs very long.

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 01:36 PM
The Message that it sends is, that the STEELERS Front Office and Coaches got smart and should risk any more damage and be worthless in the play offs. The Steelers shouldn't have played him against he 49ers, although i was glad he did play but i think it actually hurt their chances to win. Yea the Steelers Defense didnt play very well, every great defense has its off days, Ravens had theirs the night before. But i think they could have pulled a win off. Heck they were still in it until the flagged F.GOAL attempt that gave them a first down then ended up a TD. I think that sealed the deal for that game honestly.

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Absolutely!! If we actually make a commitment to the running game and not ask Batch or Dixon to throw it 45 times we will be fine!!

I personally think Dixon is a pretty dam good QB, one of the better back ups definitely.

ZoneBlitzer
12-23-2011, 01:50 PM
The Message that it sends is, that the STEELERS Front Office and Coaches got smart and should risk any more damage and be worthless in the play offs. The Steelers shouldn't have played him against he 49ers, although i was glad he did play but i think it actually hurt their chances to win. Yea the Steelers Defense didnt play very well, every great defense has its off days, Ravens had theirs the night before. But i think they could have pulled a win off. Heck they were still in it until the flagged F.GOAL attempt that gave them a first down then ended up a TD. I think that sealed the deal for that game honestly.

What sealed the deal was Ben's INTs in the first half of the game.

RavenManiac
12-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I said this in another post and I'll say it again here...

Unless the Ravens' team bus drives off a bridge sometime in the next two weeks, it's a pretty sure bet that we're either going into the playoffs as a 5 or 6 seed.

In that case, we have no reason whatsoever to play Ben.
In fact, we should also rest Pouncey, Woodley, Troy and anyone else who needs to be getting well instead of getting hit and we should be doing this not just for the Ram game but also for the Cleveland game.

We do not have to win any of these games. Since that's true, we ought to be playing our bench and getting reps for the guys who never get them and we may even discover some talent we didn't even know we had which would be even more helpful in the post-season.

As far as the QB's go, we ARE talking about the Rams and the Browns.
If Batch or Dixon can't beat either of those teams, then they should not be wearing an NFL uniform or collecting an NFL paycheck.

The only reason to even care about winning either of these games is pride and ego and I can't see where either is more important than a healthy group of starters for the playoffs.

Forget the bye week.
We have an opportunity to have TWO bye weeks for our injured starters and if we don't use them to get ready for the playoffs then I wouldn't plan on being in the playoffs very long.

I think your assumption about the Ravens chances in Cincy is way off. There is an extremely real chance the Ravens lose that game, regardless of what is at stake. The Ravens are 1-4 in their last 5 games at Cincy, and that includes losses in 2006 when the Ravens finished 13-3 and the Bengals finished 8-8, and 2010 when the Ravens finished 12-4 and the Bungles 4-12. In last year's game there the Ravens lost to 5 FGs and Flacco finished with 4 INTs and a QB rating of 23.8. I realize that the rosters are different (Cincy replaced their CBs, etc), but I can assure you the game will not be a gimme for the Ravens. Heck the game in Baltimore was close, and if not for a dubious Calvin-Johnson-Rule call, the Bengals would have been driving for an outright win in the waning seconds with a tie (and OT) virtually guaranteed.

However, I agree that you shouldn't need Ben, Pouncey, Woodley or even Troy to beat the Clemens-led Rams at Heinz. As for who you need/want for the last game at Cleveland, that remains to be seen, but seeing how Batch does this weekend would give you a better idea.

harrison'samonster
12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I personally think Dixon is a pretty dam good QB, one of the better back ups definitely.

I can't see Dixon as a reliable back-up. Maybe if he get's more experience, but I wouldn't want to rely on him to win games.

I don't know what message it sends to the rest of the team, but it shouldn't get in their way of preparing and playing the same hard football they're use to.

SteelBlaze1
12-23-2011, 02:45 PM
I agree with FanSince72...we should be resting our guys and letting them get healthy or it will be s short stay in the playoffs.

harrison'samonster
12-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I think your assumption about the Ravens chances in Cincy is way off. There is an extremely real chance the Ravens lose that game, regardless of what is at stake. .

Cincy's been playing really good all year, and anybody can win any game. I wouldn't count them out yet. Although I'd consider it a nice Christmas surprise if they beat Baltimore.

tanda10506
12-23-2011, 03:40 PM
I say sit Ben, Pouncey, and play Woodley limited. A bye week can hurt as much as it helps. Since we won't be getting a first round bye, give the hurt players a bye this week and then get the team back on track against the browns. If the offense does their job right against Cleveland then they can start sitting players in the third quarter.

harrison'samonster
12-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I say sit Ben, Pouncey, and play Woodley limited. A bye week can hurt as much as it helps. Since we won't be getting a first round bye, give the hurt players a bye this week and then get the team back on track against the browns. If the offense does their job right against Cleveland then they can start sitting players in the third quarter.

that sounds about perfect. It doesn't matter if we even win, the playoffs are all that matters now.

Fire Arians
12-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Rockon

this. he's hurt. if he was healthy then he'd play against the rams, but he's not. that was obvious as day on monday.

ricardisimo
12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
It's CIA code, and it sends a signal to our field agents in Uzbekistan that Operation Enduring Endurance is green - I repeat green - Go! Go! Go!
:tt03:

Bayz101
12-23-2011, 05:50 PM
It's CIA code, and it sends a signal to our field agents in Uzbekistan that Operation Enduring Endurance is green - I repeat green - Go! Go! Go!
:tt03:

Hey I thought we agreed that you'd keep quiet about this. Now you've gone and done it!

Law 'Ha Murcy!

:banging:

BlaZeQuietly
12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I think the bengals have a great chance to beat the ravens, but yes pitt should be able to beat the rams resting ben. if we win this week I think we should start ben against the browns in case of a ravens lost, id still like a 2nd seed.

Kanata-Steeler
12-24-2011, 01:20 PM
It should send a message directly to Tomlin, and ultimately Rooney, =" don't play your Injured star QB, the next time 'round, until He is Healthy"

theplatypus
12-24-2011, 01:29 PM
It means that he's injured, stupid article

Kanata-Steeler
12-24-2011, 03:58 PM
It means that he's injured, stupid article

....and therefore, we should NOT have played him last week. ! YA !
:tt04:

theplatypus
12-24-2011, 05:38 PM
....and therefore, we should NOT have played him last week. ! YA !
:tt04:

No

With the #1 overall seed on the line against a stout defense on the road Ben gave us the best chance to win. Since we lost and we already have a playoff berth secured and it's unlikely for us to do any better than the #5 seed it only makes sense to get Ben healthy for the playoffs. You might want to stick to hockey,smoking pot, and music from the 60's.

Bayz101
12-24-2011, 08:43 PM
No

With the #1 overall seed on the line against a stout defense on the road Ben gave us the best chance to win. Since we lost and we already have a playoff berth secured and it's unlikely for us to do any better than the #5 seed it only makes sense to get Ben healthy for the playoffs. You might want to stick to hockey,smoking pot, and music from the 60's.

:rofl:

Rockonsteel
12-25-2011, 12:24 AM
No

Actually, Ben did not give us the best chance to win against San Francisco, as he was physically incapable of playing the position at the level that makes him who he is. The game was imperical evidence of that fact. But,Tomlin and company chose to roll the dice and play him. Ok, cool, but his ass shoulda been pulled in the first half after the second pick.

There's no way anybody can tell me CB couldn't have played better than Ben played Monday night. Nobody is saying that he would've lit it up for 360 yds. and 4 tds, but he would've been able to guide the offense to 13-17 pts, which might have been enough to get it done in that game. San Fran's already tough defense was bolstered that much more by a QB who couldn't move or follow through on his throws.

Here's hoping he can get back somewhere close to 100% by the time the playoffs start, because that dude that played Monday night, gave the other team a way better chance to win than he gave the Steelers.

Rockon