PDA

View Full Version : According to NFL.Com Ben is Out!!!!

Goldsteel86
12-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Charlie is starting, I sure hope he looks better than he did against the Clowns. Also, week 17 will prove crucial, play Ben or not? Do you let him go into the playoffs rusty, the past has proven that isn't a good move!!!! :noidea:

PeRK82
12-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Just saw it on the NFL NETWORK.

I know weird coming from a RAVENS FANS, sorry.

mesaSteeler
12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Steelers name Batch starter for Rams game

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 23, 2011

The Steelers have named Charlie Batch their starting quarterback for tomorrow's game against the St. Louis Rams. Batch will start in place of Ben Roethlisberger, who is nursing a high-ankle sprain.

Roethlisberger started last Monday night in San Francisco and played the entire game. The Steelers will rest him to give his injured left ankle extra time to heal.

If Roethlisberger dresses tomorrow, he will likely be used only in the case of an emergency.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers name Batch starter for Rams game - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_773497.html#ixzz1hOAH5Q00

SteelBlaze1
12-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Finally...the right decision in my mind.

MACH1
12-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I hope Batch can throw it far enough for airheads game plan.

caplovestroyp43
12-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Finally...the right decision in my mind.

Couldn't agree more! I was just telling my parents this last night. Let him sit the next two games and get ready for the playoffs. Glad someone has the presence of mind to do it.

Batch will do just fine. I have confidence in him. :tt02:

Fire Arians
12-23-2011, 03:33 PM
good move. we need to stay healthy and last monday was proof we won't win unless ben is back at least 80%

Whodis
12-23-2011, 04:19 PM
You guys like Batch over Dixon?

Bayz101
12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Charlie is starting, I sure hope he looks better than he did against the Clowns. Also, week 17 will prove crucial, play Ben or not? Do you let him go into the playoffs rusty, the past has proven that isn't a good move!!!! :noidea:

Charlies stint in the Browns game recently was a display of what a quarterback would look like if you picked him up off the streets, put him in a jersey and threw him out their. Charlie didn't prepare whatsoever, and I don't blame him for throwing poorly, and he really didn't do that. This is the guy who was STILL considered the best league backup just last year, and led us undefeated in Ben's absence.

Bayz101
12-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Of course. Batch was money last year, and with the needed practice he'll do fine tomorrow. This guy was, and always has been considered the game's best backup quarterback. Sure, he's getting old. But Ben's in his 8th year and is turning 30 in March.

stiller39
12-23-2011, 04:56 PM
I wonder what the reasoning is for not starting now versus last game. He got hurt before the 9ers game and now he is held out???? I am not understanding the reasoning here. I thought he should have been held out against the niners and maybe even this game and back for a tune up against the browns... but thats just me. I agree with him not playing just not real clear about how Tomlin got there.

Fire Arians
12-23-2011, 05:11 PM

yes. dixon makes tebow look like steve young in terms of accuracy

batch is a good backup and I'll even go as far as saying he's better than ben right NOW. bank on it. I'll take charlie 100% over ben 50%

imo, he would have been a good qb up in detroit if he wasn't so injury prone. he just isn't durable enough for an entire season, but for 2-4 games a year I'll take him over any other backup in the NFL

ricardisimo
12-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Of course. Batch was money last year, and with the needed practice he'll do fine tomorrow. This guy was, and always has been considered the game's best backup quarterback. Sure, he's getting old. But Ben's in his 8th year and is turning 30 in March.
I'm not sure about "money". He was great in Tampa Bay, but both he and Dixon were just so-so in the other three games. I think the backups next year will be Lefty and a late-round draft pick.

steelersfan77
12-23-2011, 05:12 PM
We better bring a run game this time around. Batch will be lucky to get through this one. He's as fragile as a toothpick back there.

Fire Arians
12-23-2011, 05:14 PM

he probably didnt get many if any reps in practice. im sure he has ever since the prep for SF. he will be ready to go on saturday.

Goldsteel86
12-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I hope that he is more than ready, crucial games down the stretch, hell I would even concede to his starting if he does well and to let him start against the Clowns. Now honestly I am not willing to admit the division is outta reach, I sure don't want the Steelers to be satisfied with just a simple playoff berth!

Bayz101
12-23-2011, 06:37 PM
I hope that he is more than ready, crucial games down the stretch, hell I would even concede to his starting if he does well and to let him start against the Clowns. Now honestly I am not willing to admit the division is outta reach, I sure don't want the Steelers to be satisfied with just a simple playoff berth!

They we're satisfied with "just a simple playoff berth" in 2005, and they won the Super Bowl. Remember, this is a team that is "old and slow". With all the criticism we've been handed, i'm perfectly fine with a wildcard. We won on the road all post-season in 05, and the Packers just did it last year. We'll be fine.

NoFieldFive
12-23-2011, 07:48 PM
I know people want another game against the Ravens' but if it's in Baltimore I'll pass on that game this year. We struggle to beat the weaker teams this year and lose big to the better teams (except New England). I'd rather take the Patriots or Texans in their home court than a game in Baltimore.

This team does not seem to get fired up. Seeing them walk out of the tunnel against the Niners this past Monday. It was like they didn't care to be there. Ben is standing there shaking everyone's hand and most didn't seem to care if Ben was there or not.

tanda10506
12-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I know weird coming from a RAVENS FANS, sorry.

Usually other fans on here are ridiculous and rude, especially Ravens fans, but you've been cool throughout, thanks for the confirmation.

I know people want another game against the Ravens' but if it's in Baltimore I'll pass on that game this year. We struggle to beat the weaker teams this year and lose big to the better teams (except New England). I'd rather take the Patriots or Texans in their home court than a game in Baltimore.

This team does not seem to get fired up. Seeing them walk out of the tunnel against the Niners this past Monday. It was like they didn't care to be there. Ben is standing there shaking everyone's hand and most didn't seem to care if Ben was there or not.

I agree. I would love to have another shot at the ratbirds in Pittsburgh, but I too would not like to have a playoff game in Baltimore. I think we would beat them in Pittsburgh and I do think we have a good shot even if it's in Baltimore provided our best team shows up, but as mentioned, I would rather play in NE or Houston. The scariest thing to me is that they do not get fired up. When they do it's only for a few plays. This team is not playing with the heart like they were in '08 or last year and I think it has hurt them. As you mentioned, when Ben came out it was like the team didn't care to much, when they should have been recognizing that other players had to step up for us to win that game and should have been fired up. If we don't play with heart and get fired up then we will not win a playoff game on the road, on the road it's a must.

DoctorCAD
12-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Recipe for a loss...

Batch stinks and our wonderful, non-adjustable offense will probably have nothing but 3 point chances.

Oh, and resting our players works SO well...

tanda10506
12-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Resting our players works well if your not worried about the loss much. Against a horrible team like the rams we should be sitting anybody injured. The concern now is winning from the fifth seed not trying to get the 1st or 2nd, since we will almost certainly be the 5th seed. I'd love to see us play all out and play everybody in effort to win these next two and hope the ravens lose one, but it's smarter to play it safe and make sure we can at least win a playoff game. Besides, we can beat the rams with our defense as long as they don't play down to them.

LVSteelersfan
12-23-2011, 10:06 PM
The Rams are horrible. But they better not come out complacent because Steven Jackson will tear us a new one. He can beat us all by himself if the defense comes out complacent. We could still end up with the 6th seed if there is no fire. We could end up playing the Ratbirds in the wild card game. Of course since Indy beat Houston, it would probably be the Texans.

BKAnthem
12-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Recipe for a loss...

Batch stinks and our wonderful, non-adjustable offense will probably have nothing but 3 point chances.

Oh, and resting our players works SO well...

You really want Ben Hobbling around on that ankle in the playoffs???

Aussie Steeler
12-24-2011, 12:46 AM
don't have confidence in batch . i really hope our defense forces turnovers or i think we may even lose to the bottom feeder rams.

Bayz101
12-24-2011, 02:05 AM
If Ben being out really has enough impact for us to lose, i'll be doubting our chances in the playoffs either way. One player doesn't make a team, look at what happened to Lebron with Cleveland. Did he win any championships?

NoFieldFive
12-24-2011, 02:22 AM
If Ben being out really has enough impact for us to lose, i'll be doubting our chances in the playoffs either way. One player doesn't make a team, look at what happened to Lebron with Cleveland. Did he win any championships?

tell that to the Indy Colts

Bayz101
12-24-2011, 02:36 AM
tell that to the Indy Colts

They haven't even tried to win. I'm not even convinced there last two games involved. any effort. Luck DOES exist.

Fire Arians
12-24-2011, 03:19 AM

I'm sure any of the elite teams would not be championship squads if you take out the qb. Would the saints, packers, or pats be contenders without their starting qbs? We already see what happened to Houston without schaub

tanda10506
12-24-2011, 04:24 AM
No one player should be that important except the QB. Offenses are usually completely useless when going from a great franchise QB to a back up, the days of "game managing" qb's winning a SB are over, without Ben we lose. We struggled to beat the chiefs and browns with Ben, and that has me worried, it would be embarassing to drop a game to the rams. This game is a good test, if the defense steps up and dominates the rams and making up for what the offense will surely lack then I will be pretty optimisti, but if we squeak by or lose then we won't be winning anything on the road in the playoffs.

PhantomJB93
12-24-2011, 04:29 AM
I'm glad we're resting Ben, after the 9ers game no reason to play him in his condition. But I really wish we would play Dixon over Batch. I know Batch was good for us last year but I still prefer that dynamic Dixon can bring to the offense for a game or two.

DoctorCAD
12-24-2011, 09:30 AM
You really want Ben Hobbling around on that ankle in the playoffs???

Nope, but Charlie isn't the answer...he used to be, but not any more.

Kanata-Steeler
12-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Nope, but Charlie isn't the answer...he used to be, but not any more.

There is NO OTHER ANSWER, but Charlie, since our bonehead decision to play Ben last week. !
Get Over it, and don't be a "Cad"
;)
:tt04: