PDA

View Full Version : Batch Orchastrates a Thing of Beauty

dcsteel5804
12-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Coming into the game, I was a little nevous about how Batch would play. I predicted that it would have to be the defense to really step up and take over the game. I was wrong. I am also not upset that I was wrong. I'm very happy I was wrong. Batch executed at a very high level. He only made one stupid mistake (the pick), but other than that, he played a very clean, and precise game. It was actually somewhat refreshing to see a Steelers game where the QB played within the confines of the offense and executing plays as they were drawn up.

Now, I dont want anyone to think that I'd advocate starting Batch over Roethlisberger regularly, but, he filled in quite well and played like a conventional QB. When he did extend plays, he looked for a checkdown and not a crazy deep pass (whch often work with Ben). Those check downs netted first downs and kept the chains moving on several occasions.

Batch also threw a really nice deep ball to Wallace that hit him in stride (for the most part :chuckle:) where Wallace just blazed past the helpless defender. I think the fact that the ball came out on time, before Wallace even beat his man, helped that play be successful. I think Ben sometimes waits a little too long, for Wallace to actually beat the man before he throws, which leads to under-throws and allows safety help to get there some times (Not all the time, just some times).

I'll also throw in here, that Arians had a great game plan, and the offense executed it very well. I'll also note that I don't really care for Arians' playcalling most times, but I have to give credit where credit is due. It seems like when he realizes that he doesn't have Ben, or Ben is hurt, he calls the type of game that will actually aide in getting us the win, rather than chucking up deep balls every other play.

In general, Batch was way above the line and I have no problems with starting him until Ben gets well. In my opinion, I believe the Steelers should be less hesitant to play Batch in the future in the event that Ben is dinged up. I would also like to say that I don't think Batch is a better QB or that Ben is not an elite QB. Ben is an elite QB and should start if he's ready, but I'm just saying Batch played an excellent game and Brucy called an excellent game! Let me know what you guys think!

Eztarget
12-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Plus his only INT wasn't really his fault. Brown fell down and probably would have caught it if he didn't.

MasterOfPuppets
12-25-2011, 11:39 AM
i seem to recall one of batch's passes hit a defender right in the hands...fortunately he dropped it.
1-7 3rd down conversion 14%

Bricks46
12-25-2011, 11:51 AM
I knew Batch could get it done. He always has, so this isn't a surprise to me at all.

pittpete
12-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I agree that Batch performed better than most expected but
-we were playing a horrible team
-we were 1-7 on 3rd down conversions
-we again failed in the Redzone on the first drive to score a TD
-BA's only creative play I thought was the fake where Batch rolled to his left and then we never saw anything like that after
-the pass to Wallace was slightly underthrown but we got it anyway
-we failed to go to Heath(targeted 2x)
-some of those WR screens were an abomination and close to getting picked off
Overall, Batch managed the game well given the situation IMHO but a wins a win:tt03:

Aussie Steeler
12-25-2011, 12:33 PM
batch used the run offense well to manage the game against a lowly and extremely bad team. he played very average at best. but good on him, the win is all that matters.

dcsteel5804
12-25-2011, 01:19 PM
-BA's only creative play I thought was the fake where Batch rolled to his left and then we never saw anything like that after
Overall, Batch managed the game well given the situation IMHO but a wins a win:tt03:

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Your right, I didn't realize he was so bad on 3rd. I guess it just seemed better. Oh well. I stand corrected!

Bayz101
12-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Got to understand Batch wasn't the only back up in their. As the game went on, more and more second stringers came in.

Kanata-Steeler
12-28-2011, 08:45 AM
and kudos to our "D" for that beautifult shutout as well.

Whodis
12-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Wouldn't call it "beauty", but Batch did what needed to be done and I was wrong about questioning him over Dixon. I'm not so sure about the Browns. I think they will have a chip on their shoulder when we play Sunday. I would love to see the "d" take one away!

FanSince72
12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Overall, Batch managed the game well given the situation IMHO but a wins a win

That's kinda like someone winning the lottery and then complaining about::

- how far they'd have to drive to the lottery office to claim the check
-that after taxes they'd "only" get about half of the stated first prize total
-what a pain in the ass it will be to have to call the bank to arrange to payoff their mortgage
-how difficult it will be to choose between the Ferrari or the Lamborghini
-that people they haven't heard from in years will start calling them
-how they'd have to work for another few weeks while their boss finds a replacement
-that they'd have to sit for hours with an accountant to go over their investment portfolio

But in the end they'd figure out a way to muddle through.

Good thing we didn't lose!. :sofunny:

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 04:32 AM
That's kinda like someone winning the lottery and then complaining about::

- how far they'd have to drive to the lottery office to claim the check
-that after taxes they'd "only" get about half of the stated first prize total
-what a pain in the ass it will be to have to call the bank to arrange to payoff their mortgage
-how difficult it will be to choose between the Ferrari or the Lamborghini
-that people they haven't heard from in years will start calling them
-how they'd have to work for another few weeks while their boss finds a replacement
-that they'd have to sit for hours with an accountant to go over their investment portfolio

But in the end they'd figure out a way to muddle through.

Good thing we didn't lose!. :sofunny:

Wow. That deserves rep.