PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Steelers vs 2011 Steelers

BlaZeQuietly
12-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Which team do you think is better? They are very different teams, now assuming we get our team healthy this year do you think we are more of a threat than we were last year? I think we are, we have a much more balanced team this year. The road to the superbowl may be harder but our team is simply better. The biggest difference is that our passing game with Wallace and Brown is absolutely lethal and does not get as much credit as it deserves.
1. Troy is playing better
2. William Gay has improved
3. Wallace and Brown have improved
4. Roethlisberger is having probably the best year of his career especially with his shiny new weapons
5. Id say the offensive line has improved a little bit to.

Despite the seeding and records I think we have hands down the best team in the AFC,
the NFC however has some very good teams, but we will only have to play one of those.

harrison'samonster
12-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I think our secondary is playing better this year, and that might be all we need. With Brown getting better throughout the year, he'll be a dangerous player in the playoffs.

I think overall we are a better team than last year, even though our defense is too old and slow.

BlaZeQuietly
12-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I think our secondary is playing better this year, and that might be all we need. With Brown getting better throughout the year, he'll be a dangerous player in the playoffs.

I think overall we are a better team than last year, even though our defense is too old and slow.

*slaps you* did you just call our defense old and slow? i'd like you hear you say that to their faces:coffee:

Ricco Suavez
12-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Just my opinion but I don't get the feel from this team that they have even begun to hit their potential. I basically felt the same way last year and while we made it to the Superbowl I just never felt like we were close to peaking. I would love to see this team get on a roll, cause squeaking out regular season wins against the likes of the Colts, Browns, and Jaguars is not the same when your playing Patriots or Ravens or even a Broncos team in their stadium. More than anything I would love to see this team get healthy.

BlaZeQuietly
12-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh come on, If we get the Broncos in the first round that will be a cake walk, we could probably rest our starters in that game to give them an extra week before we have to venture onto New England. 5 seed in the AFC is a blessing and a curse, the AFC west is way over rated, The Raiders and the Broncos are both on their way out and both of the good teams in that division got hot to late in the season. The only thing standing between us and the superbowl is The Patriots and the Bengles, all other contenders are ice cold right now and yes that includes the Ravens, Flacco is a joke.

IowaSteeler927
12-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Oh come on, If we get the Broncos in the first round that will be a cake walk, we could probably rest our starters in that game to give them an extra week before we have to venture onto New England. 5 seed in the AFC is a blessing and a curse, the AFC west is way over rated, The Raiders and the Broncos are both on their way out and both of the good teams in that division got hot to late in the season. The only thing standing between us and the superbowl is The Patriots and the Bengles, all other contenders are ice cold right now and yes that includes the Ravens, Flacco is a joke.

I wouldn't be getting a big head. The Broncos are like the Chiefs. Good D, and subpar offense. Steelers 19 Chiefs 13 in a game we were handed because Palko spent more time throwing to Steelers players than to his own receivers. The Broncos D with Dumervil, Miller, and Bailey isn't exactly a group of pushovers.

harrison'samonster
12-26-2011, 07:57 AM
*slaps you* did you just call our defense old and slow? i'd like you hear you say that to their faces:coffee:

I'd rather see Warren Sapp say it to their faces. Then we'll see who's too old and slow.

Yeah, Denver is no push over with that D. And if we play in Denver, we'll very likely be without Ryan Clark, who would be risking his own life.

I agree that it seems like this Steelers team has never peaked. I hope we get to see it in the playoffs.

Ricco Suavez
12-26-2011, 07:58 AM

Do not take this personally, but this kind of mentality is what leads to some of the doom and gloom threads after some of the games this year. The KC game is a prime example a team that fans feel we should have no trouble with and then in reality you are still playing other professionals. Make no mistake even less than stellar teams have talent and on any Sunday the worst can beat the best. That is why I try not to get upset with any win regardless of how bad the opponents is "suppose" to be.

steeltheone
12-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Offense..I would like to believe is better...BR7 is better ..The wideouts are more battle tested ...Line and backs probably equal to last year.

Defense ..Down a few pegs Farrior, Clark and Hampton are washed up...A healthy Troy and Ike make the db's better than last year....Very disappointed in Timmons, hopefully he takes off in the post season. Line Hood is better, Cameron is a beast of a pass rusher and Keisel is solid.

I guess not a big difference from last years team...Brown probably makes the biggest plus!

TRH
12-26-2011, 09:15 AM
well, the injuries (Ben, Woodley, Troy playing at 85%, and more) and Pouncey's recurring injury troubles are keeping us down and its hard to gauge with so many important people seemingly out all the time.

PhantomJB93
12-27-2011, 01:08 AM
I honestly think the '11 Steelers are better in every possible way outside of Run Defense. The regular season may not convince some, but everything is coming together to be a great playoff team again. Ben has been an elite passer this season when healthy, and I have a good feeling we're gonna get that bye week so he'll be ready to go for the divisional. Mendenhall wasn't good early on, at all, but he has been a much better runner the past few weeks and should be a reliable option come playoff time (don't be so quick to forget how great he was in the AFCC game last year). Harrison and Woodley have both been dominant at times this year and should be together on the field for the first time in along time in the playoffs. The OL is worlds ahead of where it was at the beginning, Starks is actually my Steelers MVP of the year. Troy P is finally visible on the field again (not that he hasn't been "good" all year but you can see him impacting nearly every play again like he used to). And of course, we can finally stop (or at least slow) the spread offense and are #1 in passing D again, probably the greatest improvement from last year and the reason I think we have a great shot at winning #7.

We didn't feel "great" heading into the postseason last year or in '08, but our best postseason performances seem to come after some of our most "meh" regular seasons ever. Yeah, I know our wins didn't come against the best teams and the only great team we beat was the Patiots, but last year we lost to the Saints, Patriots, Ravens, and Jets and people said the same thing, and again in 2008 when we lost to the Eagles, Colts, Giants, and Titans. I just have that feeling that this is another instance where we shouldn't doubt how great this team can be.

tanda10506
12-27-2011, 04:44 AM
I agree that they haven't came close to their potential, but I felt that last year too. Ben and the receivers have improved, the o line improved and the run game stayed the same pretty much. The offense is a bigger threat then last year but they are still as inconsistant as last year. The run D is not as good, but it's still really good. The pass D is where the big improvement is. All our DB's have played MUCH better, Taylor had become a shutdown corner most of the time, Gay is light years better than last year, Lewis plays the nickel as good as anybody, and Clark has played up to his usual level. Polamalu definetly is doing his job, but with few big plays and some bad burns, I would say Troy took a step back. For the most part it looks like the team is better but they are missing some essentials for winning in the playoffs, like a lack of heart/enthusiasm, and a horrible lack of turnovers. Also this years defense has allowed game losing drives. It seems like the team is better overall, but I just don't think this team will win 3 on the road against playoff teams. We tend to step up in the playoffs, so hopefully we do, but with the horrible road play, the 92 yard drive in Pittsburgh to give the game to our rival, and losing to every playoff quality team we played with the exception of the pats, I just haven't seen a team that is going to beat a playoff team on the road.

ggoldman
12-27-2011, 06:38 AM
I can't wait to see a healthy Woodley combined with Harrison come playoff time

steelerchad
12-27-2011, 07:16 AM
I honestly think the '11 Steelers are better in every possible way outside of Run Defense. The regular season may not convince some, but everything is coming together to be a great playoff team again. Ben has been an elite passer this season when healthy, and I have a good feeling we're gonna get that bye week so he'll be ready to go for the divisional. Mendenhall wasn't good early on, at all, but he has been a much better runner the past few weeks and should be a reliable option come playoff time (don't be so quick to forget how great he was in the AFCC game last year). Harrison and Woodley have both been dominant at times this year and should be together on the field for the first time in along time in the playoffs. The OL is worlds ahead of where it was at the beginning, Starks is actually my Steelers MVP of the year. Troy P is finally visible on the field again (not that he hasn't been "good" all year but you can see him impacting nearly every play again like he used to). And of course, we can finally stop (or at least slow) the spread offense and are #1 in passing D again, probably the greatest improvement from last year and the reason I think we have a great shot at winning #7.

We didn't feel "great" heading into the postseason last year or in '08, but our best postseason performances seem to come after some of our most "meh" regular seasons ever. Yeah, I know our wins didn't come against the best teams and the only great team we beat was the Patiots, but last year we lost to the Saints, Patriots, Ravens, and Jets and people said the same thing, and again in 2008 when we lost to the Eagles, Colts, Giants, and Titans. I just have that feeling that this is another instance where we shouldn't doubt how great this team can be.

I think our run D is due to a change in philosophy or strategy. We didn't go from one of the most dominant run D's of all time and a mediocre pass D a year ago to the #1 pass D in the league and a slightly better than avg. run D this year with basically the same personnel by accident. This was by design.

We went 12-4 a year ago and could smother most good teams with run stuffing and pressure, but when we ran into an elite passing team last year (Pats, Saints, Packers) our pass D got worked. Already this year we showed the change in scheme can work against an elite passing team like the Pats. We are built to beat the best passing teams in the league this year and have the capability to slow these teams down. Our offense is also capable of keeping up with these teams if it gets to a shoot out. I'm not sure if we're better or not, but I think we're put together better to compete with the teams we're going to have to beat in the playoffs. It will take health and execution to pull it off, but we are built to do it.

saveus1011
12-27-2011, 11:21 AM
This team seems hungrier than last year's squad.

That said, I still don't think they have an identity. Too many times, I've seen shades of different teams from the previous years (for example - the first game of the year I saw shades of the 2006 team, etc.)

VaDave
12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=steelerchad;975656]I think our run D is due to a change in philosophy or strategy. We didn't go from one of the most dominant run D's of all time and a mediocre pass D a year ago to the #1 pass D in the league and a slightly better than avg. run D this year with basically the same personnel by accident. This was by design.

You know, I thought that too until I started replaying a couple of games and focusing on the DL. What I saw was Ziggy is not Arron Smith, Hampton is clearly not Hampton, and neither is McClendon.

There is a reason Farrior is not leading the team in tackles this year after leading for 6 or 7 years, and it isn't because he's old and slow. It's because he's getting Hood and or Hampton/McClendon, repeatedly dropped in his lap, not to mention a lineman or two getting a free shot at him.

Hood is indecisive on the snap at times, and looks like he's on skates on running plays, especially on combo blocks. McClendon, plucky as he is, just isn't srong enough at the POA. Hampton I'm afraid, IS old and slow.

That said, our run D still is respectable, although not as air tight, but our pass D is much improved. With the youngin's really showing up this year, I would call this a net improvement for the overall D.

Considering Goodall's war on defense, I'd say we are doing ok. I wouldn't be surprised though, if he made the act of touching a an offensive player by a member of the defense, a personal foul.

Whodis
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Heyward on the d-line makes our front better without Smith, Timmons sucks this year and we need Woodley back to 90%.

Offense has gone from the 4 wr set to a two tight end / want to be fullback system. Our WR's are better then ever, but we are one dimensional. The play calling looks a lot like 2010

FriedReis
12-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Lifelong Steelers fan living in Wisconsin.

The main thing I notice about this years team compared to last years team is that Tomlin and Lebeau seem to be more willing to change up out gameplan more based on who we are playing that week. Every Steelers fan has to be in love with the D we played against NE in the regular season. I for one, haven't ever seen the Lebeau come out and man up on the wide recievers and dictate the PASSING game to the other teams. I love what Steelerchad said about the change in philosophy. The league used to be a run first, ground and pound, physical game where the toughest SOBs on the field would win. Now the rule changes make it a game of speed and finesse and the old zone blitz scheme doesn't seem to be effective against all of the 3-4-5 reciever sets. I love the change and wouldn't mind seeing this defense employ it more in the future....especially in the playoffs...

harrison'samonster
12-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Lifelong Steelers fan living in Wisconsin.

The main thing I notice about this years team compared to last years team is that Tomlin and Lebeau seem to be more willing to change up out gameplan more based on who we are playing that week. Every Steelers fan has to be in love with the D we played against NE in the regular season. I for one, haven't ever seen the Lebeau come out and man up on the wide recievers and dictate the PASSING game to the other teams. I love what Steelerchad said about the change in philosophy. The league used to be a run first, ground and pound, physical game where the toughest SOBs on the field would win. Now the rule changes make it a game of speed and finesse and the old zone blitz scheme doesn't seem to be effective against all of the 3-4-5 reciever sets. I love the change and wouldn't mind seeing this defense employ it more in the future....especially in the playoffs...

welcome to the board! We all complained over the past few years that the Steelers couldn't seem to do anything against those pass happy teams. I hope the Patriots game showed that Tomlin and Lebeau fixed that problem.

I would say that another thing the 2010 team did better was forcing turnovers. Last year in the regular season they forced 35 and only gave away 18.

I still believe that this team is better this year and with Harrison and Woodley in there together with Polamalu roaming around this 2011 is the better team. We'll have to see in the playoffs.

Fire Arians
12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Offense..I would like to believe is better...BR7 is better ..The wideouts are more battle tested ...Line and backs probably equal to last year.

Defense ..Down a few pegs Farrior, Clark and Hampton are washed up...A healthy Troy and Ike make the db's better than last year....Very disappointed in Timmons, hopefully he takes off in the post season. Line Hood is better, Cameron is a beast of a pass rusher and Keisel is solid.

I guess not a big difference from last years team...Brown probably makes the biggest plus!

i wouldn't say clark is washed up, he's always been average-above average but never great. he can sure lay the hammer on receivers though. he's been playing well enough this year.

timmons is definitely the biggest disappointment, i agree.

o-line needs to block better for mendenhall. the one thing holding us back is our running game is not consistent enough.

DanRooney
12-28-2011, 03:12 AM
Which team do you think is better? They are very different teams, now assuming we get our team healthy this year do you think we are more of a threat than we were last year? I think we are, we have a much more balanced team this year. The road to the superbowl may be harder but our team is simply better. The biggest difference is that our passing game with Wallace and Brown is absolutely lethal and does not get as much credit as it deserves.
4. Roethlisberger is having probably the best year of his career especially with his shiny new weapons

Despite the seeding and records I think we have hands down the best team in the AFC,
the NFC however has some very good teams, but we will only have to play one of those.

1. Disagree. Troy was playing like a superhuman until he got hurt against the Bengals last year.
2. Absolutely.
3. Brown definitely. Wallace is about the same imo.
4. Meh. I just think the playcalling is much different.
5. The OL was the worst I've ever seen in the first 4 games.

DanRooney
12-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Heyward on the d-line makes our front better without Smith, Timmons sucks this year and we need Woodley back to 90%.

Offense has gone from the 4 wr set to a two tight end / want to be fullback system. Our WR's are better then ever, but we are one dimensional. The play calling looks a lot like 2010

Yeah I'm really disappointed in Timmons this year and I'm a huge fan of his. Our LBers as a whole outside of Harrison have pretty much sucked.

tanda10506
12-28-2011, 04:13 AM
Yeah I'm really disappointed in Timmons this year and I'm a huge fan of his. Our LBers as a whole outside of Harrison have pretty much sucked.

Woodley has played very well when he is able to play and Worilds has played solid backing up Harrison and Woodley. The MLB's took a step back this year, Farrior is done and Timmons is average at best. With that big contract, Timmons should be earning it, but I can't recall one big play he has made.

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 04:16 AM

I'd say Woodley's been good, or great, really. Timmons has been disappointing, but he's basically been a coverage guy all year.

DanRooney
12-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd say Woodley's been good, or great, really. Timmons has been disappointing, but he's basically been a coverage guy all year.

Woodley was great for a 3 or 4 game spree until he got injured. I think it's his typical hot and cold play.

steeltheone
12-28-2011, 11:50 AM

Without Smith? Did you not watch Smith play this year? He was horrid. His contract was a gift from the FO.

PhantomJB93
12-28-2011, 02:12 PM
1. Disagree. Troy was playing like a superhuman until he got hurt against the Bengals last year.
2. Absolutely.
3. Brown definitely. Wallace is about the same imo.
4. Meh. I just think the playcalling is much different.
5. The OL was the worst I've ever seen in the first 4 games.

For #1 I'm pretty sure he meant relative to early this season and the postseason last year, when Troy's game seemed "off." I don't see how anyone could argue he's playing better now than he was most of last regular season.

For #5, I agree it was absolutely atrocious to start the season and was bad enough that I thought we wouldn't even make the playoffs (still think we wouldn't have if we never swapped out Scott), but Starks has been tremendous and I would definitely say the Starks-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert line now is better than the Scott-Kemo-Pouncey-Legursky/Foster-Adams line we had for most of last year.

Otherwise, i agree with those points

FanSince72
12-28-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm gonna throw something into the mix here which is something I personally believe and it has nothing to do with stats or overall performance and that thing is: Karma.

As we all know, last year Ben had to deal with all of the crap from Georgia and served a 4-game suspension because of it.
He played well enough during the season and through the playoffs, but when he got to the Super Bowl all of that baggage seemed to catch up with him and he played as if he felt that he didn't deserve a title.

I have no way to back this up and it's just a feeling I have but I think it's possible that his game was off in the SB because of that.
Even during the two-weeks leading up to the SB with all the hype and the hoopla, I had this nagging feeling that we would lose - especially since Rodgers had this wholesome image while Ben had Milledgeville. The media played that for all it was worth and in fact America-at-large seemed to be rooting for Rodgers because of it and I've often wondered just how that affected Ben.

Like I say, it's just a feeling. :noidea:

ricardisimo
12-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Troy's not playing better, disagree with you there. But it doesn't matter, because the secondary in general is playing better around him, including (obviously) William Gay.

Ben is Ben, don't know if this is his best year or not. I almost preferred his rookie season, just keeping mistakes to a minimum. And the O-line still sucks, disagree with that point as well. Last year's was better.

Still, I think this is a great Steelers team and can go as far as the coaches will take them. That can be a risky proposition, though.

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Woodley was great for a 3 or 4 game spree until he got injured. I think it's his typical hot and cold play.

Can't really blame him for not continuing to stay hot when he's unable to play...

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 09:34 PM

1. I'd say he's playing well, but it's hard to play better then what he's played in the past, and he probably never will. He has a better squad around him now, so he's not forced to play like superman all the time anymore.
2. For sure, he's improving a lot.
3. Wallace has been running routes better and Brown has certainly stepped it up. Looking good out their. All about maturing and growing as a player.
4. I wouldn't say he's having his best year, but he's doing what he needs to do as a quarterback, and exceeding with what he's given. His line isn't the greatest.
5. As I said above, his line isn't the greatest, but it's improved since the early part of the season. As good as last year? Maybe. It's improving now, and that's mainly because the squad has spent a little time together.

QCbeauBlak
12-29-2011, 03:45 AM
I really wish we could force more turnovers and get more sacks. I am really disappointed in the the Linebacker play from Timmons and even Worlids to an extent. I do not know what people are seeing in Worlids. He over pursues often and does not keep contain on the edge often. He gets sucked into the offensive tackles pretty easily.. but that's just my observation.

I think the secondary has improved big time. Gay looks a lot faster or more alert. Which ever, he gets to the ball in a hurry now. Ike has looked very well (I remember about 5 years ago I HATED his play with a passion, now he's my favorite CB in the league!). The line is the line. I wish we had more quality depth but whatever. Ben and the receivers look better than ever.

Outside of missed field goals, our special teams play has looked very good. Not to long ago we used to get gashed like crazy on punt and kick off returns..

Overall, I like 2011 better than 2010. I just wish Timmons didn't have to cover tight ends on those inside slants.

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 04:24 AM
I really wish we could force more turnovers and get more sacks. I am really disappointed in the the Linebacker play from Timmons and even Worlids to an extent. I do not know what people are seeing in Worlids. He over pursues often and does not keep contain on the edge often. He gets sucked into the offensive tackles pretty easily.. but that's just my observation.

I think the secondary has improved big time. Gay looks a lot faster or more alert. Which ever, he gets to the ball in a hurry now. Ike has looked very well (I remember about 5 years ago I HATED his play with a passion, now he's my favorite CB in the league!). The line is the line. I wish we had more quality depth but whatever. Ben and the receivers look better than ever.

Outside of missed field goals, our special teams play has looked very good. Not to long ago we used to get gashed like crazy on punt and kick off returns..

Overall, I like 2011 better than 2010. I just wish Timmons didn't have to cover tight ends on those inside slants.

I agree with everything, but i'm not disappointed in Worilds. He's had limited playtime at his sole position, and he joined us in 2010. In the limited time he's played at linebacker, he's recorded 5.0 sacks and a forced fumble.

steeltheone
12-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Troy's not playing better, disagree with you there. But it doesn't matter, because the secondary in general is playing better around him, including (obviously) William Gay.

Ben is Ben, don't know if this is his best year or not. I almost preferred his rookie season, just keeping mistakes to a minimum. And the O-line still sucks, disagree with that point as well. Last year's was better.

Still, I think this is a great Steelers team and can go as far as the coaches will take them. That can be a risky proposition, though.

The 2005 team was better than this team...A rookie BR7 would not have as much success with the current team

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 05:18 AM
The 2005 team was better than this team...A rookie BR7 would not have as much success with the current team

Better? I don't believe so. More determined? I think so. But I guess we'll see soon enough, no?

steeltheone
12-29-2011, 07:14 AM
The 15-1 2005 Team had a better OLine, Running Game, Receivers,DLine and Linebackers...I'll give this years team QB,DB's and Special Teams.

You might say Receivers...Talent wise, this year by far ,but the 05 team had solid in their prime route runners...We will see how far our young corps has come, when we get in the post season.

DanRooney
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
The 15-1 2005 Team had a better OLine, Running Game, Receivers,DLine and Linebackers...I'll give this years team QB,DB's and Special Teams.

You might say Receivers...Talent wise, this year by far ,but the 05 team had solid in their prime route runners...We will see how far our young corps has come, when we get in the post season.

Our 2005 team did not have better receivers. Not even close. Randle El and Cedric Wilson? lol. I don't think they had better LBers either. I'll take Harrison and Woodley on the outside over Porter and Haggans.

The big difference between this team and that team is the offensive line. Ben is better, Troy is better, and our receivers are a hell of a lot better.

PhantomJB93
12-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Randle El and Wilson were nothing special at all. Hines Ward in his prime I guess is good but Wallace, Brown, and Sanders more than make up for that.

Linebackers? I would take (A HEALTHY) Harrison and Woodley over 05 Porter and Haggans in a heartbeat. Although Farrior and Foote back then were better than Farrior and Timmons this year, but still I'd take the current squad, the OLBs are more important anyway

Dline, Oline, running game...Ill give you that.

ricardisimo
12-29-2011, 04:20 PM

The O-line and the D-line were significantly better, and Parker and Bettis were a great combo. Troy was momumentally better back then. Opposing QBs were actively avoiding him, and he still came up with great numbers, just with pure speed and instincts to get into every play. Troy's not playing that great this year, and Qbs are targeting him without fear... don't know what you people are smoking, homer weed or something.

The rest of your claim is debatable.

harrison'samonster
12-29-2011, 04:58 PM
the O-line was so much better in that 15-1 season. Plus Hampton, Smith, and Von Oelhoffen on the D-line was better than this year. Those three ate up blockers like nothing.

As for linebackers, I'd take Harrison and Woodley over Porter and Haggans.

steeltheone
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
I can agree on the Harrison, Woodley but Farrior was much much better that year than now.

Timmons, Foote is almost a wash. Pains me to say that.