PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall

BlaZeQuietly
12-26-2011, 03:30 PM
It seems like he is running a little better this last half of the season, by that I mean he is running in the right direction. I used to see him take the hand off and kind of spin circles and dance towards the sideline, now he seems to be running towards the endzone, With bigben likely to miss the rest of the season with a bad ankle mende's effective running will be necessary. It also look's like Mende may have put on a little weight, starting to look like the bus more and more every day.

TRH
12-26-2011, 04:12 PM
yep......when he does the old "stutter-step and dance" routine, he almost always gets CRUSHED at or behind the line of scrimmage. I wondered why he kept doing it when its obviously a failure.
Maybe he's getting wiser?

Whodis
12-26-2011, 04:24 PM
When was it we played the Browns? Was that the second half of the season?

BlaZeQuietly
12-26-2011, 04:38 PM
When was it we played the Browns? Was that the second half of the season?

google it

Black N' Yellow
12-26-2011, 05:36 PM
yep......when he does the old "stutter-step and dance" routine, he almost always gets CRUSHED at or behind the line of scrimmage. I wondered why he kept doing it when its obviously a failure.

He also seems to always do it when there's no hole......

Bayz101
12-26-2011, 06:23 PM
He also seems to always do it when there's no hole......

:chuckle:

tanda10506
12-26-2011, 07:46 PM
The situation with Mendy is real similar to the situation of the whole team this year IMO. He has tons of potential, is capable of being great right now, but for whatever reason just picks and chooses when to show up. I've thought that about the whole team this year. First off almost nobody on this team even showed up the first few weeks of the season. When we finally got it together Week 5 against the Titans we saw what we are capable of. A few (mostly solid) wins after that and then a great game against New England. Then the 92 yard drive allowed against baltimore, a poor game against the chiefs and browns, and the horrible game against the niners (I know Ben was hurt but that doesn't give the rest of the team a day off). I might get some agree's and some disagree's as far as this goes but the way I see it is our team has TONS of talent, experience, and the knowledge to execute, but just doesn't get that you have to show up every week. I'm not trying to be a "downer" or anything like that and there are some players that go full throttle every game, it just has me nervous about the playoffs, and the situation with Mendy is a prime example of it. Hopefully Mendy keeps running towards the endzone, he's dangerous by himself and when he gets a few blocks he can really break it open, we need that in the playoffs.

Steeldude
12-26-2011, 09:11 PM

because he was a spread option back in college. when mendenhall first came into the NFL he was afraid to get hit. over the years he has reduced that fear.

sharkweek
12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
because he was a spread option back in college. when mendenhall first came into the NFL he was afraid to get hit. over the years he has reduced that fear.

I wouldn't say that, he had a really gutsy performance in the Rose bowl against USC and was really one of the only Illini player worthy of being in that game.

Getting broken by Ray Lewis in his rookie season likely didn't help

steelerchad
12-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Where's that spin move been. I forgot how much he used to do that.

3rdandlong
12-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Mendenhall has played better the last couple of weeks. But he still doesn't have the power to get the tough 2 or 3 yards which you need on an offense, especially in the redone and with our offensive line. That's my biggest knock on him. If we had the offensive line that Willie Parker had for most of his career with the Steelers, Mendenhall would he near the top of the league in rushing

steelfury02
12-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Mendenhall should be running for at least the same amount of yards he did last season - regardless of pass to run ratio or terrible performances by the o-line

c'mon - put your homer blinders on - enough already - there's no possible excuse for any performance that is below the steelers fever forum's standard

100 yards every game against the best rush defenses or worst rush defenses - nothing else should be taken into account for Mendy's performances - just stats

Curtain_of_Steel
12-27-2011, 10:34 AM
If the dumbass doesnt dance before hitting the whole he is fine. But he has developed a bad habit. That split secind with the studder step the hole closes. With this Oline he is lucky to have a hole at all.

The bigger problem is, it takes 3q'a for our coaching staff to figure out we won't be able to run during the game. The Oline needs some upgraded an dhacking at the end of the year. We will have bucks to spend and some savings cutting Kemo etc. I do not care if we win the superbowl or not. They need to fix the line so our QB is around for another 6 years.

LVSteelersfan
12-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Mendenhall is doing a little better. With that I agree. But he still needs to learn how to keep plowing straight ahead and then get down. Redman does this better than Mendy does but Redman does not have the tangibles that Mendy does. The Oline was actually doing pretty well for a short stretch but the injury bug bit us in the butt yet again on the Oline.

TRH
12-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Where's that spin move been. I forgot how much he used to do that.

He seems to have replaced the "spin" with the "juke-and-jive". Problem was, the "spin" worked. Juking and jiving hasn't.

steelbad@50
12-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Our O'line is not built specificly for any type of running back. Our backs need to make plays happen for themselves most of the time. Not having an elusive or powerback for me is another reason our run game is not in the top 10 in the league. We simply rely on a decent pass game and good defense to win.

Whodis
12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
I can't see where anyone thinks he's having a good second half? Take away a good game vs the terrible Rams you have a below average runner.

On top of all of this, Is anyone else seeing the way he's been holding the ball? He holds it like a quarterback scrambling. He seems to run harder after Redman comes in and breaks a few hard runs.

steelerjim58
12-27-2011, 03:45 PM
I think that alot of you might disagree with me, but I have said before that there is not a back in the league that would be putting up big numbers behind this offensive line.

ricardisimo
12-27-2011, 04:00 PM
He seems to have replaced the "spin" with the "juke-and-jive". Problem was, the "spin" worked. Juking and jiving hasn't.
:chuckle: I'm not sure the spin actually worked, but it looked cool at least. The dancing... yeah, the dancing. What can I say? Sometimes it works, and he breaks off long ones. He's trying to be Barry Sanders, but he ain't Barry Sanders. No one is.

PhantomJB93
12-27-2011, 04:25 PM
:chuckle: I'm not sure the spin actually worked, but it looked cool at least. The dancing... yeah, the dancing. What can I say? Sometimes it works, and he breaks off long ones. He's trying to be Barry Sanders, but he ain't Barry Sanders. No one is.

The spin didn't work every time, but it worked a hell of a lot more often than the dancing did early on this season.

DanRooney
12-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Mendenhall is a very expendable back after this season. A player like Wallace is not. I'd like to see what Dwyer can do in the starting role with Redman as a backup . Clay looks like he'd be prototypical mop up duty.

ricardisimo
12-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Mendenhall is a very expendable back after this season. A player like Wallace is not. I'd like to see what Dwyer can do in the starting role with Redman as a backup . Clay looks like he'd be prototypical mop up duty.
Not sure why our best back would be expendable, unless you are resigned to Bruce Arians remaining in place forever and eventually doing away with the running game entirely. Not to mention the fact that Mendenhall will be a bargain at his eventual salary, whereas Wallace will not.

Mike Wallace will most likely sign with some unbearably crappy team that really shouldn't be spending so much money on him, and he'll rot there for five years. Meanwhile, Mendy will go to at least one or two more Super Bowls with us.

Fire Arians
12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Mendenhall has played better the last couple of weeks. But he still doesn't have the power to get the tough 2 or 3 yards which you need on an offense, especially in the redone and with our offensive line. That's my biggest knock on him. If we had the offensive line that Willie Parker had for most of his career with the Steelers, Mendenhall would he near the top of the league in rushing

i wouldn't say he doesn't have the power, he's built like a tank. the problem is he runs too high in short yardage situations. if you run high then you're easily put on your ass if someone gets lower than you.

he just needs to learn how to run lower in those situations, he just needs to be told that he doesn't need to break a big run every time he touches the ball, sometimes we just need 1 or 2 yards.

Fire Arians
12-27-2011, 08:00 PM

you're my boy but i have to disagree with you on that one. i'd be willing to put money down that if we trade mendenhall, he's going to be a star on another team with a decent o-line. the problem with our team is we only have a handful of running plays that we run all the freakin time. it's predictable. plus our o-line is not what it used to be.

give me an OC with more than 5 running plays in his playbook and knows the value of a real fullback. mendenhall would light it up.

harrison'samonster
12-27-2011, 08:18 PM
give me an OC with more than 5 running plays in his playbook and knows the value of a real fullback. mendenhall would light it up.

i completely agree with that. This offense is looking pretty good and it's got great potential, if the running game could be developed better the offense would be unbelievable.

I think Mendenhall's got a lot of talent, but with this Offensive line and the playcalling, he seems to be running uphill.

Bayz101
12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Mendenhall's running against a bad offensive line, and has pretty much his entire career. It's been injury-riddled left and right, and consistency is almost non-existent.

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 12:22 AM
:banging:

DanRooney
12-28-2011, 04:06 AM
you're my boy but i have to disagree with you on that one. i'd be willing to put money down that if we trade mendenhall, he's going to be a star on another team with a decent o-line. the problem with our team is we only have a handful of running plays that we run all the freakin time. it's predictable. plus our o-line is not what it used to be.

Without a doubt Mendenhall would be a star runningback on a team with a good OL. That's what I'm hoping. It'll just make Arians look more like a moron and punch his ticket out for sure :wave:

With the way our offense is moving toward, I just think Wallace is the centerpiece. I don't see Brown/Sanders/Cotchery making enough plays without him.

DanRooney
12-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Not sure why our best back would be expendable, unless you are resigned to Bruce Arians remaining in place forever and eventually doing away with the running game entirely. Not to mention the fact that Mendenhall will be a bargain at his eventual salary, whereas Wallace will not.

Mike Wallace will most likely sign with some unbearably crappy team that really shouldn't be spending so much money on him, and he'll rot there for five years. Meanwhile, Mendy will go to at least one or two more Super Bowls with us.

Is Mendenhall's rookie deal up after this year or does he have another one left?

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Nothing at all wrong with Mendenhall. We're transitioning towards passing more than running, and when we do run, it's usually the same old, predictable play. Mendenhall would run well behind a good offensive line and with a good playbook. Just last season he ran for 1,000+, and this year the offensive line has been injury-riddled.

wera176
12-28-2011, 09:57 AM

i agree that Mendy would probably be a star elsewhere. I think I disagree that we have too few running plays, I think Arians has too many. He has guys pulling and shifting all around. i don't think anyone, including Mendy, can figure it all out. I think that's why Mendy dances so much, he's waiting for the blocks to develop. Redman doesn't know or care and just goes... :wink02: j/k I don't recall which game it was, but after one of the games this season someone (Mendy?, i can't recall) stated they didn't even run the running plays they practiced.

Just get a half dozen power plays, a couple pulling plays and pound it please. Just let the big dummies road-grate ahead... Nothing fancy. And please no bubble screens, or if you do want to run a few, get it in Brown's or Wallace's hands with Hines in front.

OX1947
12-28-2011, 03:24 PM
If the steelers meet the pats, NO or GB, they need Mendy to control the clock.

ricardisimo
12-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Is Mendenhall's rookie deal up after this year or does he have another one left?
It was a five-year deal, so I guess he has one more year left.

DanRooney
12-28-2011, 03:39 PM
It was a five-year deal, so I guess he has one more year left.

Oh yeah then no need to get rid of him. Let him play out his contract and see how he fares next season. I was under the impression this was his last year.

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Oh yeah then no need to get rid of him. Let him play out his contract and see how he fares next season. I was under the impression this was his last year.

We need to get rid of the bum! John Clay should be starting! He's averaging 10.0 yards a carry???

ricardisimo
12-29-2011, 05:22 PM
We need to get rid of the bum! John Clay should be starting! He's averaging 10.0 yards a carry???

10 yards and a TD on every carry, don't forget. You do the math over the course of an entire season, man...