PDA

View Full Version : Rest Ben Roethlisberger

FanSince72
12-28-2011, 10:00 AM
No decision: Rest Ben Roethlisberger
December, 28, 2011

By Jamison Hensley

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has "a shot" to play against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, coach Mike Tomlin told reporters.

It's a good sign for the Steelers that Roethlisberger would be available if they needed him, but there really is no decision when it comes to the quarterback and his high ankle sprain. The Steelers need to sit Roethlisberger for the regular-season finale. There is a chance that Sunday's game might be a critical one for the Steelers. If Pittsburgh wins and Baltimore loses, the Steelers would win the AFC North and clinch a first-round bye in the playoffs.

But that's an "if." The Steelers, who have already locked up a playoff berth, can guarantee Roethlisberger a bye this week by resting him.

Sitting Roethlisberger isn't waving the white flag and conceding the division to Baltimore. The Steelers beat the Rams and the NFL's 32nd-ranked run defense by handing the ball off to Rashard Mendenhall. They could use the same game plan against the Browns and the league's 30th-ranked run defense. Plus, backup quarterback Charlie Batch was extremely effective in his game-manager role.

"I thought he did some really good things," Tomlin said of Batch. "[But] his performance has no bearing on how we go about making the decisions that are right for us this week. A lot of the decisions center around Roethlisberger's health."

The best decision that would improve Roethlisberger's health heading into the postseason is to rest him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/39013/no-decision-rest-ben-roethlisberger

I agree 100 percent!

theplatypus
12-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I really like the idea of him getting a few snaps in the game just to knock the rust off. However, HE has to get rid of the ball quickly. As soon as he starts running around trying to extend the play bench his stubborn ass. After all extending the play is why he's got the high ankle sprain to begin with.

Steelerfreak58
12-28-2011, 11:58 AM
I really like the idea of him getting a few snaps in the game just to knock the rust off. However, HE has to get rid of the ball quickly. As soon as he starts running around trying to extend the play bench his stubborn ass. After all extending the play is why he's got the high ankle sprain to begin with.

Yup. It was 1st and 10 when he ran around and got his ankle damn near ripped off. He could have ran the ball and picked up a few yards instead he attempted to do what he does when it was completely unnecessary.

Black N' Yellow
12-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Yup. It was 1st and 10 when he ran around and got his ankle damn near ripped off. He could have ran the ball and picked up a few yards instead he attempted to do what he does when it was completely unnecessary.

What he does is the reason we've been in 3 Super Bowls. If he can run around and extend the play a little on Sunday, I don't have a problem with it. He needs to be able to do that for us to make a good playoff run.

stb_steeler
12-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Looks like Bens pushing to play sunday

Goldsteel86
12-28-2011, 06:29 PM
After reading the Rest Ben, Play Ben articles, the only one that jumped out at me was this, What is Ben like after a substantial layoff? As history has shown, he hasn't fared very well, now this isn't the regular season we are talking about, this is the playoffs. Now I know there are two sides to a fence, what if he gets hurt, what if he aggravates the ankle, well let me ask this, what if Kemo didn't hit Palmer in the knee (Which was a total legal hit, I might add), what would that outcome have been? Truth of the matter is, Ben should play on Sunday, let him get some game speed before the playoffs, I am not saying he plays the whole game, maybe a half, a quarter or even a couple of series, but don't let Ben go into the playoffs "well rested", the playoffs may not be so promising!

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Ben will play Sunday. He's already ran through a full practice this week, and their's still Thursday and Friday.

BKAnthem
12-30-2011, 12:15 AM
They don't need Ben for the Browns...They need him for the Playoffs and Hopefully Superbowl

AndyWitmyer
12-31-2011, 09:36 PM
“I want him out there but not at the risk of injuring himself. If he can’t move around and get out of the way, there’s no sense in getting him out there.” - Bruce Arians, in a rare display of wisdom

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2011, 10:17 PM
They don't need Ben for the Browns...They need him for the Playoffs and Hopefully Superbowl
do you remember week 14 ? 7 -3 with 3.15 to go and cleveland in scoring position at the 16 ?
thank god for gays interception in the endzone ,otherwise the steelers were in LOSING position. :doh:

sharkweek
12-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Ben should play, and this isn't even considering the possibility of a bye, there's no point in saving him for the playoffs if he isn't ready now I wouldn't count on him being ready in a week. And I'd rather find out now than in the playoffs.

He shouldn't have been playing against the 49ers, that is obvious now, however even if we had been smarter and had him sitting that game and then again against the Rams, I'd still rather see him playing in this last game even if we had beaten the 49ers and had a 1st round bye locked up just to see where his progress was.

FanSince72
12-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Ben should play, and this isn't even considering the possibility of a bye, there's no point in saving him for the playoffs if he isn't ready now I wouldn't count on him being ready in a week. And I'd rather find out now than in the playoffs...

When I had my knee surgery, my doc told me that in three weeks I'd think it was all worth it.
By the end of the second week, I was really questioning that comment because I could still barely walk and everything hurt like hell.

But by the third week, it felt as if nothing was ever wrong with my knee.

Believe me, the extra week DOES make a difference.

sharkweek
01-01-2012, 02:02 AM
When I had my knee surgery, my doc told me that in three weeks I'd think it was all worth it.
By the end of the second week, I was really questioning that comment because I could still barely walk and everything hurt like hell.

1. your problem was a knee, not an ankle

2. your problem was just that, your problem, not Ben's problem, how you healed and how he will heal aren't related

Simply put, if Ben feels like he can go and the doctors clear him, he should go:

if he sits now and we lose and/or the Ravens win, then it will be only two games since he last played and we might find out in short order in the wild card round that he's still not ready

even if we win without him against the Browns and the Bengals beat the Ravens and we get the bye will mean it will be a full month before Ben has seen any real game time, thrown straight into the fire in a divisional round, likely against the Bengals or Ravens

As a competitor, as much game time experience as possible is key

steelcity1974
01-01-2012, 02:47 AM
If benji wants to play, he will pay. Tomlin and Arians have no say in the matter

steelcity1974
01-01-2012, 02:49 AM

You're not an nfl athlete r u? Then this is irrellevant

IowaSteeler927
01-01-2012, 02:51 AM
“I want him out there but not at the risk of injuring himself. If he can’t move around and get out of the way, there’s no sense in getting him out there.” - Bruce Arians, in a rare display of wisdom

Wondering how the offense will look in this game. Arians will probably run like 17 WR Screens to Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Hines Ward is my guess. Who knows though. On a more serious note I do want to see Ben play if the ankle really is better like he claims. If he's a statue like he was against the Niners, then Batch should be our QB for this game. No sense in aggravating the injury and hurting our playoff chances.

I think either Mendenhall, Redman, Dwyer, or Clay really need to show up in this game. Arians needs to get the running game going so we can use the play action game and get Mike Wallace in some one on one situations.

FanSince72
01-01-2012, 10:46 AM
1. your problem was a knee, not an ankle

2. your problem was just that, your problem, not Ben's problem, how you healed and how he will heal aren't related

Simply put, if Ben feels like he can go and the doctors clear him, he should go:

if he sits now and we lose and/or the Ravens win, then it will be only two games since he last played and we might find out in short order in the wild card round that he's still not ready

even if we win without him against the Browns and the Bengals beat the Ravens and we get the bye will mean it will be a full month before Ben has seen any real game time, thrown straight into the fire in a divisional round, likely against the Bengals or Ravens

As a competitor, as much game time experience as possible is key

Maybe so.

But if someone rolls up on that ankle again we can kiss the playoffs goodbye.
I'd rather see him go down fighting in a game where it really matters if he's playing or not instead of risking our playoff future against a go-nowhere bottom-feeder like Cleveland -- especially when they have a reason to go for his legs.

FanSince72
01-01-2012, 10:47 AM
You're not an nfl athlete r u? Then this is irrellevant

No, but healing is healing and high ankle sprains don't heal in two or three weeks no matter who you are.

harrison'samonster
01-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I think if Ben can move, then he should start. I agree that there is a lot of risk putting him in there. I don't think it's important enough to keep him in the whole game, but I think it would be best for him get some time in.

FanSince72
01-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I think if Ben can move, then he should start. I agree that there is a lot of risk putting him in there. I don't think it's important enough to keep him in the whole game, but I think it would be best for him get some time in.

Look, I'd like to see him out there just as you would and if this game was for all the marbles (like NY / Dallas today) I'd even agree, but that's not the case.

All we have to do is to win this game by one point or more and the rest is up to Cincy.

Surely Batch and our D can get us a one-point win against a last place team with a second-string QB.
We don't need Ben in this game but we DO need him in the playoffs, so why risk further injury when Batch & Co. can get the job done?

harrison'samonster
01-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I agree that this game doesn't mean much to this team heading into the playoffs. And I also agree that Batch should be able to win this game.

I do admit that only Ben and Tomlin have the information to make the right decision over whether or not Ben should start. Can he move, how his healing is coming along. I'm sure they'll make the right decision, and whichever way they go I won't criticize them (too much, lol.)

I guess the only reason I do want to see Ben start is for him to get some playing time heading into the playoffs.

And you are absolutely right, if Ben does get hurt, our playoff chances are gone.

casteeler
01-01-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm sick over the fact that Tomlin is allowing Ben to play, the Steelers can win today with Batch but cannot win in the playoffs w/o Ben. It's just stupid to risk Ben injuring his ankle further in order to beat the Browns.

finesward
01-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Your sick from it? Oh my, I hope you feel better soon.

Ben is going to have the same leg problems this week as he would next week in the playoffs, they need the reps going into the postseason to make it past the first game. I don't see what the outcry is about him playing. He's the starting QB. If they can't execute a half of play vs. the browns that keeps ben upright and puts enough points on the board to bring in charlie then we sure as hell ain't going to be able to beat anyone in the playoffs. I'm sure all of you will be calling for tomlin to be fired or call the coaching and medical staff stupid for playing him, but remember theres a reason why you watch the games on tv and they watch them on the sidelines.

tanda10506
01-01-2012, 02:56 PM
If the team plays the way they should Ben will only play the first half. We can't have him injured in the playoffs but we can't have him rusty in the playoffs either. Get him out there and get a lead, then take him out at the half.

zsheik22
01-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Ben is going to have the same leg problems this week as he would next week in the playoffs, they need the reps going into the postseason to make it past the first game. I don't see what the outcry is about him playing. He's the starting QB. If they can't execute a half of play vs. the browns that keeps ben upright and puts enough points on the board to bring in charlie then we sure as hell ain't going to be able to beat anyone in the playoffs. I'm sure all of you will be calling for tomlin to be fired or call the coaching and medical staff stupid for playing him, but remember theres a reason why you watch the games on tv and they watch them on the sidelines.

Right. Never ever question anything. I mean, when Arians keeps throwing the ball 80 yards downfield and it's being picked every time, just remember you're at home and not on the sidelines.

Hey guy, just because they are coaches, coordinators, and players does NOT make them infallible. They do stupid things just like every tom dick and harry.

Ben should have sat today. The #2 seed in which you needed the ravens to lose is not a guarantee, the playoffs are. The other guarantee is if you lose Ben you're doomed in the playoffs. Risk vs Reward, and it's not worth it. Unfortunately Tomlin is too interested in being buddies than coaching.

casteeler
01-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Are you 12 years old or just new to watching sports?

steelfury02
01-01-2012, 05:48 PM
well Bengals are crapping the bed so nothing else really matters

we suck on the road so don't expect much this season ladies and gents

Ricco Suavez
01-01-2012, 07:40 PM
It appears Ben made it out of this game without any further damage, I for one am glad he played, he looked rusty and needed some game time. By some peoples logic maybe we should of sat Mendenhall since he now appears to possibly be lost for the post season. There is a reason its called Monday morning Quarterbacking, easy to have hindsight.