PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed??

Whodis
12-28-2011, 01:28 PM
I was reading an article regarding M Wallace and how he was picked up as a 3rd WR to replace Sweed. It got me wondering what ever happen to him? We released him in September and I found it shocking no one picked him up? I always thought he had a lot of talent. Something had to happen personally to the guy. did anything ever come out?

SteelCityMom
12-28-2011, 01:41 PM
No, nobody has picked him up. Probably a combination of both injuries and his knack for floundering in pressure situations.

I googled news for him, and there's literally almost nothing. The most recent I could find was a small mention of him in an article written on the site "Behind the Steel Curtain". And the mention was pretty spot on. The article was about Talent vs. Effort in the NFL (a pretty good write up in and of itself).

"Another thing that may not be considered a talent, but certainly matters, is how you deal with pressure and nerves. Especially in the skills positions, this may be one of the more important attributes, and it is one that is pretty difficult to change. Witness Limas Sweed, who seemed to have everything he needed to be a terrific wide receiver in the NFL, except for the psychological makeup to allow him to catch a ball reliably in critical situations. He may be able to overcome this somewhere else and achieve according to his considerable promise, but if he can't overcome it all of his other gifts and his hard work are for naught."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/12/22/2656341/talent-versus-effort-in-the-nfl

It's just one of those things I guess. Not everyone can make it in the pros. I hope he lands a position somewhere and flourishes...because he does have a lot of talent. I'm not holding my breath though.

DanRooney
12-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Limas Pee'd pissed the bed as a toddler...and still does.

theplatypus
12-28-2011, 01:59 PM

I'm guessing you know this because he made you sleep on the wet spot.

stb_steeler
12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
I was reading an article regarding M Wallace and how he was picked up as a 3rd WR to replace Sweed. It got me wondering what ever happen to him? We released him in September and I found it shocking no one picked him up? I always thought he had a lot of talent. Something had to happen personally to the guy. did anything ever come out?

Why would anybody be quick to pick him up?...Im sure thay all seen how well he plays!
He prolly bagging groceries as we speak.

harrison'samonster
12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Why would anybody be quick to pick him up?...Im sure thay all seen how well he plays!
He prolly bagging groceries as we speak.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting a chance to play with another team next season. He did have a lot of talent and speed, he just couldn't catch the ball.

Maybe he'll end up in the Browns training camp next year.

FanSince72
12-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing you know this because he made you sleep on the wet spot.

SNAP! :applaudit:

LVSteelersfan
12-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Limas would be perfect for an indoor football league. That might get him enough experience to possibly make it back to the NFL. Or possibly a shot in the CFL. If it wasn't for that injury this year, things might have been different. But he would have had a hard time cracking this lineup any way. Hines Ward is now basically the 4th or 5th WR on the team. There would have been no room for him.

stb_steeler
12-28-2011, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting a chance to play with another team next season. He did have a lot of talent and speed, he just couldn't catch the ball.

Maybe he'll end up in the Browns training camp next year.

Let me see if i understand this correctly.......If he's a receiver that cant catch (AGAIN) why would anybody want him.....:wink02:

harrison'samonster
12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Let me see if i understand this correctly.......If he's a receiver that cant catch (AGAIN) why would anybody want him.....:wink02:

to see if they can develop him into a better player. Teams take chances on players all the time. We gave him a lot of chances. Why didn't we just let him go the first time he dropped a ball? Because there is always a chance that he might be able to turn it around.

Fire Arians
12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
injury bug

tony hipchest
12-28-2011, 07:22 PM
the great thing is both mike wallace and antonio brown ended up having more value than the 2nd round pick spent on sweed, so we more than broke even.

if a player gets cut by the steelers because of a numbers game they usually have a great shot landing on another team.

if a player gets cut because of injury or attitude/performance issues, it is usually the black kiss of death to their nfl career.

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Sweed was placed on the "Non-fooball injury list in December of '09 due to an illness in the family, and then he was released this year. He injured his left Achilles tendon in his final year of play with us, and hasn't been picked up since. Sweed didn't get much action as a Steeler, and when he did, he couldn't manage to make the catches that we're thrown to him.

Steelerfreak58
12-29-2011, 02:15 AM
He tore his Achilles Tendon that is pretty much the end of a career for any WR you don't get your mobility back after that kind of injury.

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 05:25 AM
He tore his Achilles Tendon that is pretty much the end of a career for any WR you don't get your mobility back after that kind of injury.

Pretty much.

sharkweek
12-29-2011, 05:58 AM
Limas would be perfect for an indoor football league. That might get him enough experience to possibly make it back to the NFL. Or possibly a shot in the CFL. If it wasn't for that injury this year, things might have been different. But he would have had a hard time cracking this lineup any way. Hines Ward is now basically the 4th or 5th WR on the team. There would have been no room for him.

For serious, between our young money crew we have Ward and Cotchery to fill out 4 and 5, whether or not Sweed could compete with Arnaz Battle for that last spot seemed obvious, we simply didn't need that air of uncertainty. Shakey newer guy who has never proven himself on the field and is also injury prone or seasoned veteran who has proven he is at least good enough to be a backup

finesward
12-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Real original stillmi...err i mean dan

why don't you stay put over there where the rest of your buddies are, you can high five each other about how smarter you are then everyone else :thumbsup:

harts
12-30-2011, 05:41 PM
He can come back next year after hines finally comes to his senses and retires.
He can be the 3rd receiver with wallace and brown --

I think he has more potential than Saunders and if he can get his head right - he can join the Young Money crew getting new money

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
He can come back next year after hines finally comes to his senses and retires.
He can be the 3rd receiver with wallace and brown --

I think he has more potential than Saunders and if he can get his head right - he can join the Young Money crew getting new money

That's not going to happen. Hell, unless we win a SuperBowl, Hines isn't likely to retire. If Hines is going, we're probably going to have to release him. As for Sweed, his career is over. Take a look at the injury he suffered with us. He's not coming back.

IowaSteeler927
01-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Limas Sweed couldn't catch a pass to save his life. I think they drafted him because Ben was clamoring for a taller receiver. Sweed just couldn't step it up and concentrate under pressure. He had his chance to shine and failed miserably. I honestly wish him the best but I don't forsee any other NFL teams taking a risk on him. He'll need to go play some ball in Canada or maybe the AFL and be absolutely ridiculous to get another shot in the NFL IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers get a guy like McNutt out of Iowa (Homer I know) if he's available later in the draft. I think he's got much better hands than Sweed and with some tutelage I think he could be the tall red zone threat that Roethlisberger has been asking for. Sanders seems to be hurt all the time, Cotchery might go somewhere else, and Ward seems to of been relegated to a backup WR/teacher role so we could use a little more depth maybe depending on how things pan out.