PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger practices, looks like Steelers' Sunday starter

SteelCityMom
12-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Roethlisberger practices, looks like Steelers' Sunday starter
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger had the look of a starting quarterback again today, leading his offense through a full practice and leaving an impression on his teammates that he's ready to return to the field of play Sunday in Cleveland.

"He looked all right," Hines Ward said. "I don't know if he really ran around or stuff like that. He looked good so, with a week [off], he's feeling a little better, it definitley helped him.

"I'm sure he wants to get a little playing time before we head to the playoffs, considering we don't know the circumstances of what's going to happen."

Tackle Max Starks didn't have the best view of Roethlisberger since he lines up to block in front of him but said, "He didn't seem like anything was wrong" and predicted he would start: "I would assume so if he's taking snaps, yeah."

Roethlisberger missed Saturday's 27-0 victory against St. Louis with a high ankle sprain, first injured Dec. 8 in Heinz Field against the Cleveland Browns. He played Dec. 19 in San Francisco but coach Mike Tomlin decided to give him more time to heal by resting him last week.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11362/1199885-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1hsI7RsCY

Fire Arians
12-28-2011, 06:49 PM
if that ankle is healed, give him some playing time. however, if he's still hobbled then sit him.

i get nervous whenever ben goes up against cleveland now. ever notice most of his injuries happen when we're playing vs. them? its like they have it out for ben or something

harrison'samonster
12-28-2011, 06:52 PM
I agree, if he's healed he should start. If the ankle is giving him trouble, then it is too risky to put him out there. We could see the entire playoffs go out the window if he pushes it to hard.

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
If he was able to move around, go ahead and start him.

ETL
12-28-2011, 09:35 PM
IF there is a way to start Batch and to put in Roethlisberger if we "needed" Ben - I would like that option. Obvious the definition of "need" is highly debatable.

Bayz101
12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
IF there is a way to start Batch and to put in Roethlisberger if we "needed" Ben - I would like that option. Obvious the definition of "need" is highly debatable.

That's actually what we did last week. Ben was a second stringer behind Charlie. It's looking like it will be the opposite with Charlie at second string for this last game. Probably a good thing, we've all seen what are team looks like when it's not clicking. We need Ben to throw a little and try and get a rhythm going with this offense.

MDSteel15
12-29-2011, 08:35 AM
How about we start Ben and in the 2nd quarter play Batch? Gets Ben his reps and saves him for playoffs!

Boomer
12-29-2011, 08:41 AM
How about we start Ben and in the 2nd quarter play Batch? Gets Ben his reps and saves him for playoffs!

This would be my guess on what happens. I just fear that the retarded stains will be out to hurt one of our starters just to hurt us in the playoffs.

Rick5895
12-29-2011, 11:03 AM
That's actually what we did last week. Ben was a second stringer behind Charlie. It's looking like it will be the opposite with Charlie at second string for this last game. Probably a good thing, we've all seen what are team looks like when it's not clicking. We need Ben to throw a little and try and get a rhythm going with this offense.

Ben was the third QB vs Rams and it was reported only un emergency would he play , that being both Batch and Dixon were hurt.
If Ben is ok treat this like a pre season game, give him a series or 2 then put in Batch. Better yet start Batch and only play Ben if needed.

FanSince72
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
All year long, when talking about Ben and injuries, when Tomlin was asked about why Ben didn't practice during a given week, Tomlin repeatedly made a point of saying that Ben doesn't really need to practice and so keeping him out was no big deal.

So why now does he seem to think Ben should be playing against Cleveland? A high ankle sprain is not something that completely heals in just two weeks and even if Ben has been tap dancing in the locker room to show how ready he is, why take chances? Tomlin himself has said that Ben doesn't really need to practice all that much so what is so important about "getting reps" in this game? McCoy is still wobbly and isn't playing and Cleveland has nowhere to go in terms of the post season and all of that makes for a perfect opportunity to tee-off on Ben to make sure the he's not going anywhere either.

Batch is more than capable of handling Cleveland and if he isn't, then we're not a playoff team.

Sit Ben for another week and make sure he's OK for the playoffs and don't risk injury in a game that Batch should be able to handle.
Hell, if anyone needs "reps" it's Batch in case he's really needed in the playoffs so give him the reps and let the guy who doesn't need the practice have another week to get healthy..

ShaDy ProDigy
12-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Ben was the third QB vs Rams and it was reported only un emergency would he play , that being both Batch and Dixon were hurt.
If Ben is ok treat this like a pre season game, give him a series or 2 then put in Batch. Better yet start Batch and only play Ben if needed.

Yep, Ben was the emergency QB only. One of the few games DD was dressed.

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 08:53 PM

Actually, Dixon went in to the locker room right before halftime. He was vomiting on the sidelines. At that point I believe Roethlisberger was set as a second stringer, but you are right, Dixon came in at second.

BKAnthem
12-30-2011, 12:12 AM
All year long, when talking about Ben and injuries, when Tomlin was asked about why Ben didn't practice during a given week, Tomlin repeatedly made a point of saying that Ben doesn't really need to practice and so keeping him out was no big deal.

So why now does he seem to think Ben should be playing against Cleveland? A high ankle sprain is not something that completely heals in just two weeks and even if Ben has been tap dancing in the locker room to show how ready he is, why take chances? Tomlin himself has said that Ben doesn't really need to practice all that much so what is so important about "getting reps" in this game? McCoy is still wobbly and isn't playing and Cleveland has nowhere to go in terms of the post season and all of that makes for a perfect opportunity to tee-off on Ben to make sure the he's not going anywhere either.

Batch is more than capable of handling Cleveland and if he isn't, then we're not a playoff team.

Sit Ben for another week and make sure he's OK for the playoffs and don't risk injury in a game that Batch should be able to handle.
Hell, if anyone needs "reps" it's Batch in case he's really needed in the playoffs so give him the reps and let the guy who doesn't need the practice have another week to get healthy..

This.......ALOT

tony hipchest
12-30-2011, 12:53 AM
they need ben to get to 4000+ passing yds for the season to beef up bruce arians one page resume.