PDA

View Full Version : How Long Have you Been a STEELER ?,..and why?

SteelCzar76
06-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I was born in Los Angeles but raised a Steeler by my mom's and other family members on her side by visiting Pittsburgh in the summers during my childhood. That being said,...i want to know from other Steeler Nation Fam what are your stories ? I've been all over this country and have noticed that either people are Life long and Die Hard Steelers,.. or they flat out hate us.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Well, being born and raised in Pittsburgh you don't have much of a choice. My dad had season tickets and I started attending games with him around four years of age and the tickets were handed down to me and I plan on handing them down to my kids.

stlrtruck
06-24-2006, 11:01 AM
I grew up in MD (with the Colts and Redskins fans) but was saved when one of the local stations picked up all the Steelers games.

I've been a bleeder of the Black and Gold since I was about 6 years old. It's almost 30 years as a fan!

Thankfully, after I started driving, my parents allowed me to take their vehicles for trips to Da 'Burgh on Sunday afternoons. Use to make 3-4 trips a year.

Now that I'm living in FL, I'm lucky if I get back once a year. However, we do have the Bay Area Fan Club (www.blackandgoldclub.net)

Time to Start a new dynasty - "THREE-PEAT THE REPEAT"

Stillers#1
06-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Since the day I popped outta my mom's womb at the Beaver county medical center.

desertsteel
06-24-2006, 11:43 AM
raised in huntington, wv. steelers was the team on tv. i was in the 3rd grade when i adopted them... that was the year before they won their 1st super bowl. no band wagon jumper here!

SteelerzGirl
06-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I've been a Steelers fan since I was conceived...(lol)! :smile:

Mosca
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
My first Steelers memory was buying a pack of football cards and getting Buzz Nutter as the top card; that was 1963. So I've been a Steelers fan since I was 9 years old, in '63.

Tom

clevestinks
06-24-2006, 12:00 PM
I've been a Steelers fan since I was conceived...(lol)! :smile:
Amen & Ditto!

I was born and raised in Hopwood P.A.,just outside of Uniontown, And as far as why am I a Steelers fan? Please, this really needs no answer!

silver & black
06-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I've been all over this country and have noticed that either people are Life long and Die Hard Steelers,.. or they flat out hate us.

Not true... at least in my case. I have been a die hard Raiders fan for nearly 39 years. I bleed silver and black.

I do not hate the the Steelers... never did. I hated them when we played each other, obviously, but, that's a bit different than "hating them".

By the way... I plan on hating the Steelers on Oct. 29! :bouncy:

clevestinks
06-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Not true... at least in my case. I have been a die hard Raiders fan for nearly 39 years. I bleed silver and black.

I do not hate the the Steelers... never did. I hated them when we played each other, obviously, but, that's a bit different than "hating them".

massilon Ohio, maybe we will have to meet up for that game, half way somewhere!

24~show your love~43
06-24-2006, 12:23 PM
since i was like 3 or 4... seeing as how my parents and most of my family are browns fans i am not too sure how i became a steelers fan, but i am and i am proud to be one!!!! especially seeing as i was born and bred in cleveland... ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Blitzburgh55
06-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Forever becuze my dad is from pitt

Haiku_Dirtt
06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Moved to PGH in 1976 around the Fourth of July at the age of 9. At first all I saw was Red White and Blue but then it became quite apparent what colors mattered. Then moved to So. Cal. in 1983 but the Black & Gold and the spirit of Pittsburgh remains to this day.

My Bro moved back and he and my nephew Riley live in Ross. Thankfully we 'share' season tickets.

Cya at the KC game. I'm trying to pick another game. Any suggestions? Any tickets?

Haiku_Dirtt
06-24-2006, 12:48 PM
since i was like 3 or 4... seeing as how my parents and most of my family are browns fans i am not too sure how i became a steelers fan, but i am and i am proud to be one!!!! especially seeing as i was born and bred in cleveland... ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Ahhhhhhh! Amazing wisdom at age 3. VERY COMMENDABLE!

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, I'm 27 years old. My mom and dad were born around Pittsburgh. They moved to Indiana before I was born. So I was raised a Steelers fan out here in Indiana. They are my team and will always be my team.

redst3
06-24-2006, 01:15 PM
1976 season I started cheering for them (I was 10) and stuck with them. There are tons of Southern Steelers fans

nicesteel4life
06-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Well I've been since:storkg: Basically.....
My Grandfather worked for a local Sporting goods store that sold to the Steelers back in the early 70's. I got to meet many of the great :helmet:'s
Probably why I started collecting autographs. I have over 1000, with my pride and joy being my framed envelope of MR ART ROONEY "Hail to the Chief" It highlights my collection. I met many of the :shout:'s as well as office people. GREAT FAMILY FEELING all the way through. I have been in many difrent states and many diffrent area's but my :love: for the BLACK N GOLD will never :tombstone:

caligirlsteelerfan86
06-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Like many I was born into being a Steeler Fan, and all Pittsburgh sports. I spend most weekends over my Granparents house and Sat and Sun, the TV was tuned onto any Pittsburgh sport and heaven help me if I walked in front of the tv. I can't say when I was little I really enjoyed football, because I didn't. I had Steelers gear and footballs, but never really got into the game until I was about 10. Unfortunately my Mom never took me to a Steeler game, I got to see the Panthers play. Now, I live in Cali and my Dad lives back near the burgh and goes to games, I need to visit during the season. It must be such an awsome feeling to walking inside that stadium with all the fans!! I might just cry. I'm lucky to have been "born" into a Steelers fan, best team, coaches, owners, and fans....I don't think any franchise tops theirs.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Since August 24th, 1985...20 years bleeding Black and Gold

My Grandparents are from Uniontown/Brownsfield,PA and my Grandpa has been a Steeler fan his whole life and raised me to be a Steelers fan.

Mosca
06-24-2006, 03:45 PM

I guarantee you that that is true for Steelers fans from the '70s at least. The Raiders were the second most hated team (after the Cowboys, the Cowboys are ALWAYS FOREVER the most hated team), and also the second favorite team. If the Steelers couldn't win it, then we wanted the Raiders to. They were easily the only team from that era that played the game the same way we did. I loved those guys, after the Steelers. It's the only other team from 30 years ago that I can name most of the starters on Offense and Defense.

Tom

Prosdo
06-24-2006, 03:45 PM
I have been a Steelers fan since birth. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and still am living here. There is nothing quite like the Steeler Nation especially in it's capital Pittsburgh lol.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-24-2006, 03:56 PM
The first Madden Game out "Madden 89"????(maybe).........
I picked the steelers and never turned back.
I was nine...........

returntoglory7
06-24-2006, 09:08 PM
born in oil city, pa, steelers fan since birth, proud to bleed black and gold even in northeast ohio

SCSteeler4Life
06-24-2006, 09:16 PM
My dad was a Steeler fan so by birth I'm a Steeler fan. I have lived in SC all my life but I have been going up to games for about 7 years and go on the rode at least one trip a year. I will be taking my oldest son to the Falcon game and the Panther game this season. I have four kids and they are all Steeler's fans. My son was in 1st grade this year and we won the Super Bowl, I was in the first grade when we won our first Super Bowl.

tony hipchest
06-24-2006, 09:45 PM
as long as i can remember so about 27-28 years. its in my blood. my dad is from there and i still have about 150+ relatives who live there (and probably more that ive never met)

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I became a Steeler fan yesterday around 1:00 am. I heard they won something called the Super Bowl. I guess that's a good thing?

CantStop85
06-24-2006, 09:59 PM
I became a Steeler fan yesterday around 1:00 am. I heard they won something called the Super Bowl. I guess that's a good thing?
haha I was waiting for some reply like that. Kudos.

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 10:11 PM
:rolleyes:

donald60
06-24-2006, 11:48 PM
I was born in Los Angeles but raised a Steeler by my mom's and other family members on her side by visiting Pittsburgh in the summers during my childhood. That being said,...i want to know from other Steeler Nation Fam what are your stories ? I've been all over this country and have noticed that either people are Life long and Die Hard Steelers,.. or they flat out hate us.

I know most of you are stealers. You take pride in stealing things like Super Bowls with the help of your ref friends.

Pittsburgh is a town of dirty streets, thugs, fans and an average NFL team in reality. team. Yea, you are SB champs this year on paper, but millions on tv around the world watched the refs hand it to you on a silver platter. Many of us don't recognise the Steaers as a legitimate S.B. winner. They were just not of the right cloth...not the right stuff that makes "true" super bowl champions. :boxing:

floodcitygirl
06-25-2006, 12:24 AM
:screwy: :screwy: :rofl: :screwy: I know most of you are stealers. You take pride in stealing things like Super Bowls with the help of your ref friends.

Pittsburgh is a town of dirty streets, thugs, fans and an average NFL team in reality. team. Yea, you are SB champs this year on paper, but millions on tv around the world watched the refs hand it to you on a silver platter. Many of us don't recognise the Steaers as a legitimate S.B. winner. They were just not of the right cloth...not the right stuff that makes "true" super bowl champions. :boxing:Ummm:screwy: :rofl:

DIESELMAN
06-25-2006, 02:31 AM
When I was 7 yrs old my dad sat me and my brother down and told us he was going to teach us about a game called football. So me and my brother started watching footballl every Sunday with my dad. For some reason the Steelers always seemed to be on TV, they were some hard hitting MF's and I really like the defensive part of the game. So the Steelers with their Black and Gold jerseys their one logo on one side of their helmets and their ass kickin Steel Curtain Defense became MY Team and through it all, ups and downs, win or lose they will ALWAYS BE MY Team. I've been a Steelers fan for 34 years.....:helmet:

donald60
06-25-2006, 05:01 AM
I have been a Steelers fan since birth. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and still am living here. There is nothing quite like the Steeler Nation especially in it's capital Pittsburgh lol.

You are proud of that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2006, 05:03 AM
You are proud of that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm sure the same was said by the doctor on the day you were spewed out into this world. What a coincidence.

Elvis
06-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Good morning to everyone.. I live in western NC and I usually see alot of Carolina Panthers fans or just think that their t-shirts are cool you know how that goes..
If it werent for the Steelers I would be a Panthers fan, I know after I watched the AFC Tittle game and went to church and came back I was hoping to see alot closer game than what was going on. I was dissapointed to see that it wasnt going to be the Panthers vs Steelers. I am 37 years old and I have loved the Steelers as far back as I can remember. I remember watching Franco Harris in his final couple years and remember Terry Bradshaw gettin mad at Chuck Knoll when it was time for him to retire. Does anyone remember guys like #83 Louis Lipps or LB Mike Merriweather? I JUST LOVE THE BLACK N GOLD..."and that is all I can say about that "
God Bless All
Elvis
P.S.
Floodcitygirl...Your a Joke!

donald60
06-25-2006, 06:46 AM

I for one don't like you. Stealer fans act too immature.:boxing:

Prosdo
06-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Donald please stop trolling the boards. If you want to post something relevant or even something with some substance then go ahead. But keep the trolling up and you will be on your way out.

MyCuz64Furness
06-25-2006, 07:51 AM
I've been a Steeler fan since I was about 4.....My family had all the games on to watch Steven play.......it was just the normal thing to do.....I remember the first time he came to FLa to visit......he had to bend down to go through my grandmothers kitchen door......I was awestruck.......we watched every game we could to get a glimpse of him on the field or sideline.......my love of the game grew every year....I remember swirling my towel around screaming like a lunatic following my parents/grandparents lead......when I grew older and started to really know what it was all about I grew to love the Steelers even more......I am 37 now and win or lose they will always be my team........I wish I could have seen a game in 3Rivers but we could never afford to go..........I am looking forward to going to the opener this year.....my husband just surprised me and bought me tickets for my birthday.....what a way to celebrate......I'm so looking forward to being and feeling the love of the Steelers that I know will be at the game.....Finally a place I'll fit right in.......:smile: :smile: .....thank you for this post its really cool reading all the replies

silver & black
06-25-2006, 08:49 AM
massilon Ohio, maybe we will have to meet up for that game, half way somewhere!
That would be cool, however, the game is in Oakland... if you want to pay for the trip..................... I would be more than happy to go with you! :bouncy: :sofunny:

silver & black
06-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I guarantee you that that is true for Steelers fans from the '70s at least. The Raiders were the second most hated team (after the Cowboys, the Cowboys are ALWAYS FOREVER the most hated team), and also the second favorite team. If the Steelers couldn't win it, then we wanted the Raiders to. They were easily the only team from that era that played the game the same way we did. I loved those guys, after the Steelers. It's the only other team from 30 years ago that I can name most of the starters on Offense and Defense.

Tom

Ah, another fan that remembers the games between our two teams!

There were NO teams that played the game like the Steelers and the Raiders... especially when we played each other. In my opinion, those games between our teams in the 70's were the best games of all time.

Mosca
06-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Ah, another fan that remembers the games between our two teams!

There were NO teams that played the game like the Steelers and the Raiders... especially when we played each other. In my opinion, those games between our teams in the 70's were the best games of all time.
:cheers:

I was at the playoff game in '75, the one we won 16-10; the Raiders fought all the way up to the last play, that was one of the greatest games I ever saw. Anyone could have won. The winner of that game was going to be the Super Bowl Champ; the Raiders were one play away from being "Team of the Decade", instead of the Steelers.

Awesome teams, each every bit the equal of the other.

Tom

silver & black
06-25-2006, 09:42 AM

I was at the playoff game in '75, the one we won 16-10; the Raiders fought all the way up to the last play, that was one of the greatest games I ever saw. Anyone could have won. The winner of that game was going to be the Super Bowl Champ; the Raiders were one play away from being "Team of the Decade", instead of the Steelers.

Tom

It's a shame that most fans of both teams didn't get to experience the rivalry that was the Steelers and Raiders of the 70's. The best damn football ever played between two teams.

I hope that the Raiders can rise again to be what they once were, and we can rekindle that rivalry... that would be awsome!

MyCuz64Furness
06-25-2006, 10:05 AM
It's a shame that most fans of both teams didn't get to experience the rivalry that was the Steelers and Raiders of the 70's. The best damn football ever played between two teams.

I hope that the Raiders can rise again to be what they once were, and we can rekindle that rivalry... that would be awsome!

:iagree: :iagree:

floodcitygirl
06-25-2006, 10:17 AM
I was born and raised in Johnstown, PA. so I was born that way! :cool:

Lyn
06-25-2006, 10:33 AM
I think there is some kind of "law" if born there you gotta be a Stiller fan! I bet most of you do not why the Steelers are called Stillers to area Western PA families.

MyCuz64Furness
06-25-2006, 10:54 AM
I bet most of you do not why the Steelers are called Stillers to area Western PA families.

do tell

Lyn
06-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I live in MI so this is what I was told.

The children could not say the word Steeler, however, they could say the word Stiller, so a child would say something like, "Daddy the Stillers are playing!" So the team to the household with children in them became the "Stillers"

SteelCzar76
06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
It's part of the accent. Like "Yinz" and the pronunciation of the O's in the speach. You'd have to hear it to understand.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"

silver & black
06-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I think there is some kind of "law" if born there you gotta be a Stiller fan! I bet most of you do not why the Steelers are called Stillers to area Western PA families.
I do! My buddy's dad was born and raised in Pittsburgh... he has always called them the Stillers!

Sharkissle29
06-25-2006, 11:15 AM
born and raised black in gold in chicago. dad grew up in pittsburgh, got to go to my first steeler game at heinz last year opening week....what a great time.

my dad has a little pittsburgh accent in him, but he lost a bit...i call them the "steelers" as opposed to the "stillers."

SteelerFanInATL
06-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I was born and raised in PGH (E. Liberty) so being a Steeler Fan would be natural. On sundays after the games me and the boys would go out to play and imitate our favorite player. I joined the Army when I was 20, (just recently retired 31 May 06) and have been diplaying my Steeler Pride everywhere I go. The best thing about being a Steeler Fan away from PGH is meeting other fans all over the country. I live in Atlanta (if you couldn't tell by the screen name) and always get looks during football season when I have Steeler gear on. The best way to explain my loyality to the Black and Gold read the signature below.

SteelCzar76
06-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Will you be at the dome Oct /22/ ? I know i will !

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"

HburgXL06
06-25-2006, 12:38 PM
My dad was raised in North Braddock, PA. He worked at Isaly's and went to the University of Pittsburgh. I was born and raised in Harrisburg, but I was instilled wit the Steelers from an early age. I wasn't into football as much until the late 90s when I got a lil older (10-11). I grew into football watchin the BUS every Sunday and lovin it. I'll never bleed anythin else. They weigh my blood by the ounce and the barrell. I've never been to a Steelers game but I'm hopin to go to one this fall when my friends at school from Pittsburgh come out wit me for a game. I represent my team proudly from HBG to Newark, DE.

BuFu

nicesteel4life
06-25-2006, 12:51 PM
My dad was raised in North Braddock, PA. He worked at Isaly's and went to the University of Pittsburgh.

BuFu
Wow been along time since I heard ISALY'S. Had manyGreat Sandwiches & ice cream from there

HburgXL06
06-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Wow been along time since I heard ISALY'S. Had manyGreat Sandwiches & ice cream from there

My dad always said that they had great "chipped chopped ham" there.

BuFu

Derek
06-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Why, you ask? Because the hometown of the "Stillerz" is a few hours away. One, two maybe. And because my family peoples are Steelers Addicts. o_o But it's fun.
I become a fan the beggining of this season. What a great year. :)

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Ahhhh yes one June 18th morning in the year 1991 I was born a fan of the team I started low with the team in 1991 then eventually during a playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens in 2001, then the next year against Cleveland in the playoffs my colors showed that I was a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I became a Pittsburgh Steelers Fan because I grew a passion for being Pittsburgh Sports and the Steelers were pretty much the only true good team to me.My family is full of em to.

blackngoldbaby
06-25-2006, 04:50 PM
im now fifteen and ive been a steeler fan since i was 10 my whole family are die hard steeler fans and i guess it just runs in my family but my dad was the one who got me into football so then i started lovin the steelers my dads now 70 years old and has seen almost every steeler game on tv ive never went to a steelers game before but i would so love to when i get older i will get season tickets and go to every game so ta sum it all up im a steeler fan now and will be 2 the day i die!

HometownGal
06-25-2006, 05:33 PM
I was the youngest of three children and the only girl. My brothers and my Dad were big Steelers fans and from the age of 4, I loved football and my Steelers. Dad had season tickets for all of my childhood and when he couldn't take sitting out at TRS any longer because of the wind and harsh winters we used to get in the 70's, he transferred ownership to me, much to the chagrin of my brothers (I always took them to several games a year so they'd stop whining - LOL!). I was at TRS for the Immaculate Reception and came home from that game, as well as many others, totally hoarse but smiling from ear to ear! The Steelers are a class organization who always strive to put the best team they can on the field each and every season - the excitement never seems to end for me! :smile:

SteelProven
06-25-2006, 05:52 PM
I've been a steelers fans since conception ( 26yrs ) Both of my parents were die-hard Steelers fans, my mother being the biggest of the two. When my mother worked at Giant Eagles cooperate office and met J. Bettis her love and dedication became even stronger. I thank my mother everyday for being the fan I inspire to be.

Stlrs4Life
06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
I was born on August 21, 1963.

Cap
06-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I have been a Steeler Fan for a VERY long time. I remember well the Steel Curtain and all those spectacular players. Wow!! My mom tried VERY HARD to raise me to be a Clowns fan. I have to admit when Brian Sipe was at the helm and Sam R. as Head Coach, there were some CLASSIC, nail-biting games. I really enjoyed watching the Clowns then but never considered myself a fan of theirs. NEVER EVER.

The earliest I remember is between 8-12 when I became a Steelers Fan. I don't know what exactly drew me to them as I live in Ohio but something surely reached out and grabbed me and when it did, it did it for life. 34 years later, I remain a Steeler Fan. I will FOREVER bleed black and gold.

And just a thought on those classic Raiders/Steelers game....who wouldn't want to watch those? With Stabler, Branch, Ray Guy (NO ONE could punt a ball the way he did before or AFTER him although I'd have to say Gardocki is dam close seeing how he's never had one blocked), I mean they had a great team and of course our team was the greatest. It was a great rivalry indeed. I remember it fondly. :smile:

HburgXL06
06-26-2006, 12:38 AM
I just thought of this:

"No one ever becomes a Steelers fan, they are born a Steelers fan"

We all know Steelers fans are a separate, stronger bunch than most other NFL fanbases so it is only natural that it can not be possible for us to compare ourselves to fans of other teams wit the idea that we "choose" to represent and cheer the Steelers. No, instead that fate is chosen for us through either family history or divine providence. Like Abraham's children we number as many as the stars in the sky and have covered the globe. We are often discriminated against and counted out but in the end all must bow down to the BlackNGold!

BuFu

Koopa
06-26-2006, 12:59 AM
this will be my 7th season loving the steelers. before preseason started in 2000 my friend asked who my favorite team was and i said the steelers for some reason. before then i never watched or cared for football, i was and always will be a spurs first type of guy. but 2000 is when i became a football fan and a steelers fan.

the reason i didn't pick the cowboys was because my older cousin would tell me to talk shit about them to piss off ppl in my family, so that's why i don't like the cowboys because i grew up hating on them even though i didn't even how good of a team they were

Steel Pit
06-26-2006, 04:51 AM
Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. My father was an alcoholic who beat on my mother and myself. He was a Bengals fan so therefore in 1975 when I was 10 years old, I chose to be a Steelers fan.

Big D
06-26-2006, 07:52 AM
I became a steelers fan when i was 3. the reason being is a family friend gave me a steelers helmet. And ever since i've had the long love affair that not even a woman can break

section514
06-26-2006, 08:07 AM
I have been a steelers fan as long as I can remember. when I was like 2, i would get scared when watching the games with my family b.c my grandfather is a high school coach, so he would be yelling like he was on the sidelines. I grew out of that fairly fast and became diehard. The rest is history, at the age of 20 and a half, I already have 2 super bowls under my belt, and "one ring on my finger" My dad got season tickets since Heinz Field opened up. He goes to all the games and I split the other ticket with my lil bro and my mom. I have been to both AFC championship games, and if I ever see Tom Brady on the street, I hope he runs faster than I can for his own sake. He has ruined 3 days of my life and the pain has turned to hatred for those damn Patriots. (see my shirt in the brady is a fag thread) I almost hate the patriots more than the bungles or brown stains

GO STEELERS

X-Terminator
06-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Been a fan since 1980 - I was 6 years old at the time. I didn't really have much choice in the matter - my Mom is a HUGE Steelers fan and made sure that I followed the Black and Gold! I watched almost every game with her for 10 years, even after I moved out on my own, and I'm glad I got to watch the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year with her, as she is in poor health and who knows if that might be the last one I get to see with her. I'm hoping it isn't, as I'll be right back there next year to watch them win another one! :smile:

SteelerFanInCA
06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Born and raised in Los Angeles California. I've been a Steelers fan since about 1975. One of my childhood best friend's dad was from Pittsburgh. I remember going to his house and being exposed to The Steelers at an early age. Never really liked the raiders or rams. Steeler fan from early on.

clevestinks
06-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. My father was an alcoholic who beat on my mother and myself. He was a Bengals fan so therefore in 1975 when I was 10 years old, I chose to be a Steelers fan.
Sad story, glad you came with us

SteelersMongol
06-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I did mention it few times in some other threads. But anyways.

I was born and grew up in Mongolia. We (the Mongols) have no experience or whatsoever on American Football. But one day in 1996 I was watching a TV, and (I think) they were showing seasonal or weekly highlights, and I just sat there and watched it. AND I LIKED the guys that were playing so good in black and yellow (I know, I know, it's BLACK & GOLD, see now I know better :smile: ) with cool looking logo on their helmet. Then I got a chance to come to the States, I started paying more attention to football, and I decided 'm gonna be a Steelers fan based on everything I read, and heard.

BTW, I've never been to East Coast area. So I didn't have any Steelers fan's direct influence on me. But it's just that people in Utah (were I used to live) weren't talking trash but the good things about the Steelers. You guys know that they don't have any pro team, and they usually root for either Broncos, or 49ers (because of Steve Young from BYU!).

Now I've got something to say. For those of you who questioned about loyalty of the late-comers and out-of-staters like myself, and tried to bash us for jumping on their bandwagon especially after the SB-XL. :dang: I don't know what to say. For example:

u kno wat i hate! i hate the people that say there steeler fans from out of state but the only reason they like them is because there good! im not sayin names but if ur one of them come on u can do better than that! wat do u think!?

I have been around long enough to enjoy the Steelers of the 70's and all the way through to today.
It is not an age or location that makes a Steeler fan, it's an ATTITUDE!! like the Sig says "it's not just football it's STEELERS football" Anyone who chooses to become a fan after the lastest Super Bowl is not necessarily a "bandwagon jumper " they are just a fan who has come to their senses and realized who the best team is!
There is no other team in football that has such a loyal fan base as the Steelers, it's the Steeler Nation, not America's team or the 13th thing in Seattle. We are a nation that constantly has new immigrants that are welcomed, but be aware when you come into the Steeler Nation you must forsake all others forever, don't just come for the good times.
I'll step down off the soap box now.... :bouncy:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7985

:pity: I can't speak for everyone, but me coming from Asia, once we're devoted NOTHING CAN STOP US! I'm sorry I wasn't born here, especially in Western Penn. State area. And I'm sorry I wasn't born before 1970s to be REAL FAN like some of you guys claim. And Yes, I joined your forum just recently, but that doesn't mean we were going "YEAH SEAHAWKS" and then went "Oops, GO STEELERS." Instead of welcoming us, trying to show off? That's not cool. :crying03:

ARKIESTEEL
06-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey Mongol dont say your sorry for any of that you dont owe it to nobody!!! Dont let no one tell you that your not a fan if you say you are than thats good enough for me. Heck I am from Arkansas and that might as well be Iceland to some folks but I aint sorry for it and i wont be sorry for. I been a fan since I was old enough to understand football. My pop was a Greenbay fan and one sunday afternoon we was watching tv and it was the packers and the Steelers playing I have been hooked ever since. I will be makeing my first ever trip to Pittsburgh this year to watch a game and i am stoked

HburgXL06
06-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Hey Mongol, don't ever feel sorry for who you are or where you came from. Just because you weren't born into a Steelers family or knew about them or the game growing up does not mean that you are any less of a fan. We all have our own unique story on how we became Steelers fans and as I mentioned earlier, people do not seem to "choose" the Steelers as a team to cheer on but rather are born into such an affiliation, even if that person doesn't know they were born to be a Steelers fan until later. I'm only 19, I never got to see the great Steelers of the 70s. I only was old enough to start knowin about football when we lost in Super Bowl XXX. I grew up watchin Bettis and now Hines Ward. Be proud of who you are and what you believe in always. Be proud to be a fan of the Steelers and your story of how you became that fan. You are an honorable man so don't ever let someone from an online community tarnish that feeling. Peace.

BuFu

section514
06-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Its people like you that makes the Steeler Nation grow and prosper. Welcome Mongol

SteelerFanInCA
06-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Here's to Steelers fans both of old and new. :toast:

shevdog
06-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Steelers fan from birth. Born and raised in New Castle, 40 miles from Picksburgh and slightly further away from Cleveland. Move to Eagles country (Philly burb) for college and have been here ever since.

I'm a Steelers fan by choice and proudly display my XL Championship sticker on my truck driving in the greater Philly area!

S-T-E-E-L-E-R-S, Steelers!

shevdog
06-27-2006, 09:18 PM

You are brave and a true fan!

12+88=6
06-28-2006, 05:04 PM
since birth 31 years and counting. my dad liked them, and they were the only team on tv where i grew up. we didn't get cbs just nbc and abc.
i remember getting a bradshaw jersey when i was 4 years old, i wore it all the time.
i remember crying when i was 8 b/c my dad told me "that was lynn swann's last game" when they lost to the chargers.
i remember ripping my slash poster to tiny bits during the 97 championship game. but most of all i remember last years playoff run and sb 40. never been so happy. even my wife took an intrest in football b/c of it. that intrest is gone so it's back to normal now.
i just wish my dad was still around to enjoy it. that's what football does. it makes you remember the good and bad of the past and it feels like yesterday.

steelerdude
06-29-2006, 08:32 AM
I was born in 1970 and raised in the Steeler tradition by my father. I experienced the triumph of the 70s and the lean times of the 80s while growing up in the heart of Erie, Pennsylvania.

peter
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
:cheer: I am the biggest fan ever!! :cheer:

ARKIESTEEL
07-07-2006, 10:38 AM
:cheer: I am the biggest fan ever!! :cheer:

You know what I truely think you are!!!!

section514
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
You know what I truely think you are!!!!
oh geeze, well at least the kid looks smart, he could be the steelers statistician some day

1fastprototype
07-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I was born in Sharon, brought home from the hospital in a steelers blanket. Only missed about 10 home games in the 70's and 80's before moving to chicago. My son was born in 2001 and brought home in a little Steelers uniform. I have not missed a playoff game under Cowher and only missed 3 games total last year home, away, playoffs, and had A very large tailgate party at the superbowl that made detroit tail gate .com as best tailgate party of the year. I have three full rooms at my house decorated in all steelers stuff including many sighned jerseys in glass cases. I think I qualify as a diehard. I bought Brian Urlaker jerseys for all my chicago friends and ran them over with muddy truck tracks and signed them from the bus. Those are still major conversation pieces.

HburgXL06
07-08-2006, 10:02 PM
I was born in Sharon, brought home from the hospital in a steelers blanket. Only missed about 10 home games in the 70's and 80's before moving to chicago. My son was born in 2001 and brought home in a little Steelers uniform. I have not missed a playoff game under Cowher and only missed 3 games total last year home, away, playoffs, and had A very large tailgate party at the superbowl that made detroit tail gate .com as best tailgate party of the year. I have three full rooms at my house decorated in all steelers stuff including many sighned jerseys in glass cases. I think I qualify as a diehard. I bought Brian Urlaker jerseys for all my chicago friends and ran them over with muddy truck tracks and signed them from the bus. Those are still major conversation pieces.

I like you already.

BuFu

section514
07-08-2006, 10:56 PM
do you have a picture of ther urlaker jersey?

CheapBasturd
07-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Heres the first picture I have that proves I was a Steeler fan from birth...

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/830/steelerssperm0cr.png (http://imageshack.us)

No further explaination needed.. :)

SteelersMongol
07-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Heres the first picture I have that proves I was a Steeler fan from birth...

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/830/steelerssperm0cr.png (http://imageshack.us)

No further explaination needed.. :)

Ha ha ha. Oh my God. :sofunny:

blackvelvet
07-09-2006, 02:27 PM
I've been a steeler fan since i was real little. my dad says that i was his 'steeler baby' that when the game came on, i'd automatically stop what i was doing and watch the game with him. I don't know how i really got hooked. I'm the oldest, and have no brothers or anything. so who knows?
I was five when the steelers were in super bowl and lost, so i don't remember it much. I do remember that our town went crazy then. and in 97. in fact, i waited every year just to hear what i called the 'pittsbugh's goin' to the super bowl song" when i was seven. except for my family, i'm pretty much on my own. most of my friends don't really like football that much.

And actually, i haven't been to a game. i don't think i've missed watching (on TV) a game since i was seven, but i'd like to go to heinz feild and watch them some time in my life. it's just that tickets are so hard to get, and always seem to be sold out. my parents actually went to their first game a few years ago. The told me that i'd love it and it would be beyond anything i would ever imagine.

SteelersMongol
07-09-2006, 03:15 PM
I think I qualify as a diehard. I bought Brian Urlaker jerseys for all my chicago friends and ran them over with muddy truck tracks and signed them from the bus. Those are still major conversation pieces.

That is brilliant. What do you mean you think you qualify. You're over exceeding many of us. I bet the first word you learned to say when you were a baby is "Steelers." Wish you long life and good health. :smile: Oh and lots of money. :smile:

steveironcity
07-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Since birth. Because im from Pittsburgh

Atlanta Dan
07-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Tom

I was there for the 16-10 game as well - I have never been colder at a football game, but the cold only bothered me after the game as I started to sober up. If you ever have a chance to see a replay of that game you probably will be shocked at how both teams kept turning the ball over in the 4th quarter.

Also upstairs in section 666 (end zone away from the river) as Franco came running towards my end of the stadium on December 23, 1972 - if you need to ask what happened on that date IMO you are not a true Steelers fan.

Born in western PA and Steelers fan since I started following sports - first Steelers game was when I went to Forbes Field with my Dad; only thing I recall was that Bobby Layne was the QB. Moved away from western PA in the early 80s but I will always be a Steelers fan.

katk9
07-09-2006, 05:09 PM

I salute you

clevestinks
07-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I just don`t understand the quetion why??? Isn`t the answer palin as day! Its not just football, its Steelers football

blackvelvet
07-09-2006, 05:59 PM
I just don`t understand the quetion why??? Isn`t the answer palin as day! Its not just football, its Steelers football

amen!