PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl snub motivates Steelers CB Taylor

tony hipchest
12-29-2011, 12:25 AM
the part in bold says it all. the only consolation prize is taylor has more superbowl rings, sb appearances, and sb starts than any other cb in the league. he has as many rings as deionne sanders, with more years to go. ultimately that is what it is all about... not int's or pro bowls.

Ike Taylor might not be making the trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, but he could be in store for a much bigger honor Thursday, especially if Ryan Clark has anything to say about it.

Taylor could be the first Steelers cornerback in nearly 20 years to be voted as the team MVP mostly because he is deserving, and partly to make a point.

"I already said that he has my vote," Clark said. "I told my wife two days ago that's who I'm voting for. As far as I am concerned, he is one of the best corners in the league."

If the Steelers decide to make a statement by voting Taylor team MVP, it wouldn't be the first.

They did such in 2005 when Casey Hampton was left off the Pro Bowl team despite having one of the best years of his career. The team voted him as co-MVP along with Hines Ward. Hampton later was added to the Pro Bowl when Richard Seymour dropped out.

"I guess we will have to see," linebacker James Harrison said, who won the team MVP award in 2007 and '08.

Taylor is enjoying one of his best seasons despite having only two interceptions.

Taylor rarely has been targeted (98 times), and when he has, he hasn't allowed many receptions (41-472). More often than not, Taylor follows the other team's best receiver all over the field. He gave up only two touchdown receptions all season.

"How can the No. 1 corner on the No. 1 secondary in the NFL who is matching up against the No. 1 receiver ... you can't say No. 1 that many times and not get a guy to go to the Pro Bowl," Clark said.

Taylor held Wes Welker to four catches; Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and Brandon Lloyd to three; and Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Bowe to one but still were relegated as a third alternate for the Pro Bowl.

"I didn't get in, that's all," Taylor said. "Obviously, I am not doing enough. I am going to continue to ask coach to put me on the team's best receiver. My teammates, my coaches, they know what I can do."

Darrelle Revis, Champ Bailey and Johnathan Joseph were selected ahead of Taylor, as well as two alternates.

"No question that is one of my goals, for sure," Taylor said. "I am going to keep fighting until they tell me to put the cleats up."

Read more: Pro Bowl snub motivates Steelers CB Taylor - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_774104.html#ixzz1htzNJLkX

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 12:35 AM
At the end of the day, all that matters is how many rings you have. And with a career ahead of him still yet, he's sporting two, I believe. The Steelers have had some great players over the years, and they never get pro-bowl recognition. I'm used to it. But hey, what's the pro-bowl? It's a game that get's watched on national t.v. less than any regular season game.

tony hipchest
12-29-2011, 01:05 AM
one other thing that matters is the HOF. thousands of players have rings but fewer than 300 are in canton. while ike will never get inducted, the pro bowls are what will get ray lewis in on 1st ballot, while a superior player like london fletcher is always on the outside looking in.

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 01:10 AM
one other thing that matters is the HOF. thousands of players have rings but fewer than 300 are in canton. while ike will never get inducted, the pro bowls are what will get ray lewis in on 1st ballot, while a superior player like london fletcher is always on the outside looking in.

You just have to make a name for yourself as a player. The Steelers have never been the media's team, and the media makes names for a lot of these "Pro-Bowl" players...All that matters for these elite Pittsburgh professionals is the rings on their fingers. Sure, getting to Canton is an honor, but I really think players like Ike and Keisel could care less, they'll have some rings to flaunt when their retired.

Pretty sure golden-boy Flacco won't be able to say the same at the end of his career, but he'll probably get ton's of recognition. That's how it works with the media behind you. Hell, Goodell's decisions are heavily influenced by the media, and i'd like to see someone try and say otherwise.

OX1947
12-29-2011, 01:12 AM
So, will this make him catch the ball finally? Couldnt have worked out better.

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 01:15 AM
So, will this make him catch the ball finally? Couldnt have worked out better.

Their trained to swat the ball away making the receiver unable to make a play. When they do catch it, it's a plus. But by no means do I expect him to be a wide receiver, as long as he keeps quarterbacks from getting the ball to the receivers he's covering, i'm fine, and so far, he's done just that.

steeltheone
12-29-2011, 05:21 AM
The funny thing is Kemo, Clark and Timmons should not be mentioned in the same sentence as a pro bowler. Odd how they come up with these teams.

grward
12-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Their trained to swat the ball away making the receiver unable to make a play. When they do catch it, it's a plus. But by no means do I expect him to be a wide receiver, as long as he keeps quarterbacks from getting the ball to the receivers he's covering, i'm fine, and so far, he's done just that.

I couldn't agree more!! I get tired of everyone making claims that his interception rate keeps him out of the pro bowl. I'm not a stat person, but I wonder how the three that did get in .... Champ Bailey, Darrelle Revis and Johnathan Joseph ... rate against Ike's stats.

Ike is a great corner and I'm thrilled that he plays for the Steelers!

steelfury02
12-29-2011, 07:25 AM
its such a fine line league anymore - especially with what the game is evolving into

It's odd to me that Ray Lewis makes it year after year after year - probably due to the media showing his intro dance every single week - even when he isn't playing how many times do they need to show him preaching to his team? People get annoyed with Tebow's faith - but Lewis' is completely manufactured since his murder rep came to be. The Ravens D has actually been more solid at run stopping and blitzing without him in there and their play has since fallen off since his return - its no coincidence

Just to show I'm not Ravens-hating - I'm not sure Troy deserved to make it this year - he has been really off - and no, I'm not one of the fans who think a great season = causing turnovers/ints/strips, etc - is he selected as a starter? anyways - as you all have said - the Pro Bowl doesn't mean anything - except media men involved in HOF selection seem to look at it second to records. Why is it that winning your division, total wins, winning pct, winning in the playoffs, SB appearances and SB wins rank lower?

If our defense's body of work had been the same over the past decade without the likes of Troy - Ike would get more recognition - but, he'll retire with more rings than 99% of these top CBs - and as a Steelers fan - I'll take his career over any of these other guys.

Boomer
12-29-2011, 07:39 AM
The Pro Bowl is a joke. Besides, Ike wouldn't be able to play in it if he were selected anyway. He'll be busy ;)

Whodis
12-29-2011, 10:12 AM
The funny thing is Kemo, Clark and Timmons should not be mentioned in the same sentence as a pro bowler. Odd how they come up with these teams.

with you here.... Clark has been good IMO

Hartings > Kemo

What has happen to Timmons??? Farrior has been more involved

As far as Ike goes, I can't believe he wasn't picked. With that said everyone knows what it's like to sign a guy with the "pro bowl" tag.

PhantomJB93
12-29-2011, 01:53 PM
You know, when you put it that way (#1 CB, #1 D, against #1 receivers), it seems even more ludicrous that he was left out.

I even saw an article somewhere where they were talking about snubs and players who dont deserve the PB, and they got to CB and said Revis and Bailey didn't deserve it, and then went on to list guys like Brandon Flowers and Joe Haden who deserved it more, and STILL didn't mention Ike.:doh:

pittpete
12-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Their trained to swat the ball away making the receiver unable to make a play

I guess Rod Woodson had a different trainer:toofunny:

Curtain_of_Steel
12-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Glad it motivates him. Hopefully he will guard the line better and stop the dam quick passes.

sharkweek
12-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Pro bowl is all about flash, Taylor doesn't have the INTs to increase his Pro bowl "sex appeal" even if the numbers suggest he has been a top cover corner this season.

Another problem is flash and notoriety. A player like Revis can have a monster season or two and is then branded as the best corner in the league regardless of how they perform in the most recent season, they're simply given the benefit of the doubt that maybe they just had a down season but they're still the best overall. Same goes for Champ Bailey who has been consistently one of the best corners year in and year out. That doesn't mean that he is always the best any given year, but for these less sexy positions (ie not QB or RB or WR) that's really all that matters. Once you get picked just once you get over that hump and you're then far more likely to be voted back even if there are other players who are more deserving.

StainlessStill
12-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Motivators are good. Pro Bowls are a joke anyhow, I can't believe guys like Phillip Rivers get the nod as well as Ray Lewis when he missed just as many games as Harrison and Woodley but guys like Ike and Stafford get the shaft.

I think the whole MVP thing was done on purpose as well. A pissed off Ben who has something to prove is a dangerous mother f*cker.

davidtrout
12-30-2011, 12:40 PM
with you here.... Clark has been good IMO

Hartings > Kemo

What has happen to Timmons??? Farrior has been more involved

As far as Ike goes, I can't believe he wasn't picked. With that said everyone knows what it's like to sign a guy with the "pro bowl" tag.

I fail to understand why so many Steeler fans don't appreciate what Ryan Clark brings to the table. I think he's terrific. He has a unique position playing FS beside Troy. He has to wait and react to what Troy does on each and every play and so far, he's far better at it than any other Safety we've had in that time. It leaves him vulnerable and yes, it does cost us on occasion, but that's the risk. It's not his fault. Chris Hope got a big payday from the Titans for just starting to get good at it, Clark has been good at it since his first season with us.

StainlessStill
12-30-2011, 01:00 PM
I fail to understand why so many Steeler fans don't appreciate what Ryan Clark brings to the table. I think he's terrific. He has a unique position playing FS beside Troy. He has to wait and react to what Troy does on each and every play and so far, he's far better at it than any other Safety we've had in that time. It leaves him vulnerable and yes, it does cost us on occasion, but that's the risk. It's not his fault. Chris Hope got a big payday from the Titans for just starting to get good at it, Clark has been good at it since his first season with us.

Agreed. I love Clark to be honest. Say what you want about him and I can give two-shits less about the new Goodell-NFL, Ryan Clark brings the kind of football I want on my football team. The dude will knock your ass out on every play if he has to. I'll always love that. Plus, he's actually better than Hope ever was at covering. #43 and #25 are a good team back there.

DanRooney
12-30-2011, 01:17 PM

He's okay. I think he definitely can and should be upgraded with an early pick in an upcoming draft (not this upcoming one). Clark is a sure tackler and great in run support but I think we need a lot more speed coming from that position.

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 04:12 PM

Clark was all that before he even joined the NFL. He was a great LSU student, and he's only gotten better during the course of his career. He won't look like the elite player he is on defense this year mainly because he has more weapons around us.

wera176
12-30-2011, 04:38 PM

^This

Clark has been outstanding for us in the role he has been asked to play. I also think he's a class guy and a leader, when he screws up, he mans up about it. And he'll knock your a$$ out! Plus I think he's the leading tackler on the team this year. Seems like #25 is in or nearly in every play...

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 04:50 PM
^This

Clark has been outstanding for us in the role he has been asked to play. I also think he's a class guy and a leader, when he screws up, he mans up about it. And he'll knock your a$$ out! Plus I think he's the leading tackler on the team this year. Seems like #25 is in or nearly in every play...

He's one of the few players who still lay the hit on guys.