PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Greatest Steelers

Surf-Bat
12-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Howdy all. My first post here, so I thought I'd post something interesting and open to debate (though not TOO much!;-) ). The ESPN poll of the greatest Steelers had a lot of the right names, but the ommission of Jack Ham rendered their list dismissable, in my humble opinion.

Here are my picks (no order). Who are yours?:

1. Terry Bradshaw
2. Jack Lambert
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Franco Harris
5. Jack Ham
6. Hines Ward
7. Mel Blount
8. LC Greenwood
9. Mike Webster
10. Lynn Swann
11. John Stallworth
12. Dermontii Dawson
13. Mean Joe Greene
14. Ernie Stautner
15. Andy Russell
16. Donnie Shell
17. Greg Lloyd
18. Troy Polamalu
19. Rod Woodson
20. Jerome Bettis

Honorable mention: Alan Faneca, Mike Merriweather, Joey Porter, Rocky Blier, Carnell Lake, Jack Butler, James Harrison (I didn't consider Kevin Greene as he is more of a Ram than a Steeler)

:tt02:

harrison'samonster
12-29-2011, 08:01 PM
welcome to the board! I can't argue with the list you've got, but I'd add Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Ike Taylor, and Farrior as honorable mentions. They've been key members of great defenses for about almost a decade.

Good call on Greene, I enjoyed watching him play when I was younger but it's hard to think of him as a Steeler great.

Bayz101
12-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't think you could really add to that list, as everything seems to be in place. When it comes to the Steelers, the list needs to be extended. We need a top 50 :chuckle:

ricardisimo
12-29-2011, 11:53 PM
How about Louis Lipps, one of my all-time faves? He was literally all we had for the better part of ten years.

tony hipchest
12-30-2011, 01:13 AM
i would say joe greene is just as important to the steelers as montana was to the 49ers and tom brady to the patriots, and even more so than lawrence taylor was to the giants.

i think green was ranked 13th or higher in nfl network's 100 greatest players of all time series.

Surf-Bat
12-30-2011, 01:37 AM
How about Louis Lipps, one of my all-time faves? He was literally all we had for the better part of ten years.

He DEFINITELY deserves honorable mention. Top 20? I dunno....whom would you replace with Lipps?

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 01:37 AM
i would say joe greene is just as important to the steelers as montana was to the 49ers and tom brady to the patriots, and even more so than lawrence taylor was to the giants.

i think green was ranked 13th or higher in nfl network's 100 greatest players of all time series.

Greene was probably the greatest at his position, and he should be up higher. But look at who's above him. There's a whole lot of talent.

Surf-Bat
12-30-2011, 01:42 AM
Andy Russell is easily the most underrated. He was a SEVEN TIME pro bowl selection and four time all-pro. This was back when the Steelers were awful and he had almost no support on defense. Listen to the interviews of the men who played against him and they will tell you how great he was. He, Greenwood, Dawson and Shell should be in the HOF.

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Andy Russell is easily the most underrated. He was a SEVEN TIME pro bowl selection and four time all-pro. This was back when the Steelers were awful and he had almost no support on defense. Listen to the interviews of the men who played against him and they will tell you how great he was. He, Greenwood, Dawson and Shell should be in the HOF.

Andy was a member of the early Steel Curtain. He earned two super bowl's as well, so he deserves a TON of recognition. The media wasn't all over players then like it is now, so unfortunately, those elite 70's players will probably be left out. Of course except for those who did get picked up by the media.

Surf-Bat
12-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Greene was probably the greatest at his position, and he should be up higher. But look at who's above him. There's a whole lot of talent.

He may be. So many great tackles- Bob Lilly, Alan Page, Art Donovan, Merlin Olson, Leo Nomelini, Ernie Stautner, Buck Buchanan, Randy White.

I can't put anyone above him.

tony hipchest
12-30-2011, 01:54 AM
well the list is in no particualr order, but i cant even think of a list such as this w/o greene, bradshaw, and lambert being the 1st 3 names to pop in my head.

where is john kuhn? (steelersfever inside joke) :chuckle:

MACH1
12-30-2011, 02:20 AM
where is john kuhn? (steelersfever inside joke) :chuckle:

Headed to the HOF with Ted Ginn and Thad Gibson. :chuckle:

ricardisimo
12-30-2011, 02:29 AM
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward

You people have it all wrong. When are you going to get it?

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Headed to the HOF with Ted Ginn and Thad Gibson. :chuckle:

:rofl:

I'm a Buckeyes fan and I found that funny! Still have hopes for Cameron Heyward, however!

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 02:34 AM
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward
James Farrior
Hines Ward

You people have it all wrong. When are you going to get it?

Hey! You forgot Ward and Farrior!

ricardisimo
12-30-2011, 02:47 AM
Hey! You forgot Ward and Farrior!
Crap! Start over...