PDA

View Full Version : Where do you live?

Raider Nation
06-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Where do you live and how you became a fan of the Steelers/Raiders or any othe NFL Team?

I grew up in Southern California and been a Raider Fan since 1979 and move to Pittsburgh Pa in 1984, but been back and forth between California and Pittsburgh.:smile:

I can't seem to get out of Pittsburgh (cost of living is dirt cheap).

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2006, 07:07 PM
I was born in Valp, Indiana but have lived in Michigan City, IN most of my life. Reason I'm a Steelers fan is easy. My family has Pittsburgh roots since my mom and dad are from there. So I didn't really have a choice. When you are raised in a Steelers family its just how it is. There is no other football team that matters. But I wouldn't want to root for some other team. Being a Steelers fan is special in how you have this bond with this team and the rest of Steelers Nation.

Raider Nation
06-24-2006, 07:13 PM
I was born in Valp, Indiana but have lived in Michigan City, IN most of my life. Reason I'm a Steelers fan is easy. My family has Pittsburgh roots since my mom and dad are from there. So I didn't really have a choice. When you are raised in a Steelers family its just how it is. There is no other football team that matters. But I wouldn't want to root for some other team. Being a Steelers fan is special in how you have this bond with this team and the rest of Steelers Nation.

My Father is from Pittsburgh, hence that is why we moved here, but he couldn't convert me into a Steeler fan, so when he and I watch the Raiders and Steelers play, it becomes a war (but friendly).:smile:

The Raider Nation also has a unique bond, some say we are like the Mob, once you're in the Raider Family, the only way out, is if you die...

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2006, 07:18 PM
My Father is from Pittsburgh, hence that is why we moved here, but he couldn't convert me into a Steeler fan, so when he and I watch the Raiders and Steelers play, it becomes a war (but friendly).:smile:

The Raider Nation also has a unique bond, some say we are like the Mob, once you're in the Raider Family, the only way out, is if you die...

Hey, I won't judge for being a fan of the dark side of the force. J/K

A good friend of mine is a Raiders fan. Now his family is all Bears fans except for him. But he always stuck by the Raiders even the last few years when things havn't gone so well for the Silver and Black. Yea, I get some digs on him as well but like you said in a friendly way.

Raider Nation
06-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey, I won't judge for being a fan of the dark side of the force. J/K

A good friend of mine is a Raiders fan. Now his family is all Bears fans except for him. But he always stuck by the Raiders even the last few years when things havn't gone so well for the Silver and Black. Yea, I get some digs on him as well but like you said in a friendly way.

We've been getting alot of digs towards us, but as a die hard fan, I just let those digs slide of my back:smile: All teams go through their slumps, you can't be on top forever, but for what it's worth, the Raiders are still the winningest team in the NFL even though we only have 3 SB rings...:smile:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2006, 07:29 PM
We've been getting alot of digs towards us, but as a die hard fan, I just let those digs slide of my back:smile: All teams go through their slumps, you can't be on top forever, but for what it's worth, the Raiders are still the winningest team in the NFL even though we only have 3 SB rings...:smile:

The Raiders are one of the great organizations in NFL history no doubt. Uncle Al help build the NFL in what it has become today. So, when I take shots at Raiders fans I'm just joking around. Of course any team goes through slumps from time to time. Getting rid of Norv Turner was a step into the right direction for sure for the Raiders.

Raider Nation
06-24-2006, 07:35 PM
The Raiders are one of the great organizations in NFL history no doubt. Uncle Al help build the NFL in what it has become today. So, when I take shots at Raiders fans I'm just joking around. Of course any team goes through slumps from time to time. Getting rid of Norv Turner was a step into the right direction for sure for the Raiders.

Thanks for the kind words towards Al Davis:smile: .

I also have respect for the Steelers pre-Ben era (Sorry)...

As for Norv, I don't hate him, I just don't think he was the type of coach to lead a team like the Raiders.

And for Art Shell, I favored him over Wizenhunt, because he knows the Raider organization and he had a winning record when Al fired him (BIG MISTAKE that Al even admits)

Al Davis now, alot of people don't understand the passion he has for the Raiders, his passion is hardcore and he should NEVER be compared to Jerry Jones...

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Pretty much already answered this question in this thread.... http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=8233

CAH
06-24-2006, 11:29 PM
My home is Uniontown, PA and have been a Steeler fan all of my life. My father was a Steeler fan, as are my children and grandchildren. It is a passion in our family.

I've liked other teams on occasion as second teams but they were NEVER above the Steelers and when they play us, I want them to lose big time. As for the Raiders, the only teams that rank lower than them are the 3 teams in our division.

Sorry I didn't say anything nice about the Raiders but to each his own. Everyone should be loyal to their own team and that I respect. I don't like bandwagoners, which you don't seem to be at all. :grin:

Koopa
06-25-2006, 04:19 AM
well i'm third coast born, that mean i'm texas raisded, texas mother****er tha'ts wher i stay. i became a steelers fan in 2000, caused that's when i started likeing footvall and decided to jump on this bandwagon. this will be my 7th season rooting for the mighty black and gold chea

Prosdo
06-25-2006, 04:26 AM
Born and raised in the Burgh!

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Born and raised in the Burgh!

Ditto !! has anyone heard of a "raiders " nation ??:bouncy: Ahh not to worry cause we are going WORLD WIDE !!!!

silver & black
06-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Where do you live and how you became a fan of the Steelers/Raiders or any othe NFL Team?

I grew up in Southern California and been a Raider Fan since 1979 and move to Pittsburgh Pa in 1984, but been back and forth between California and Pittsburgh.:smile:

I can't seem to get out of Pittsburgh (cost of living is dirt cheap).

Yes! Another Raiders fan! I thought I was the only one here.

I have been a Raiders fan since I was 8 years old... 38 years and counting... yeah, I'm old.:smile:

I live in NE. Ohio.

Why I became a fan? I really don't know what drew me to the Raiders at that age. I loved the field back then... they had the shield logo at every 10 yard mark back then. I guess just the aura of the Raiders appealed to my 8 year old brain at the time.... still does:smile: At any rate... I am, and always will be a Raiders fan.:bouncy:

silver & black
06-25-2006, 10:18 AM

Once a Raider...always a Raider!

silver & black
06-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble Raider Nation, but we lost that title to the Dolphins a couple of years ago.

It was the winningest team in ALL OF PRO SPORTS, not just the NFL.

Raider Nation
06-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble Raider Nation, but we lost that title to the Dolphins a couple of years ago.

It was the winningest team in ALL OF PRO SPORTS, not just the NFL.

Naw bro, we still hold the title. I have the schedule from 2005 and here is the quote "The Raiders-now in their 46th season- continue to dominate as professional football's winningest team.":cool:

Blitzburgh55
06-25-2006, 01:15 PM
I was born and live in Philadelphia

thejim
06-25-2006, 02:16 PM
I live in Churchill which just a few minutes east of Pittsburgh. I'm originally from Mount Pleasant which is about 45 minutes east of Pittsburgh out in the country.

Lyn
06-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Lansing, MI no ties to Pittsburgh.................Just go there all the time to see dem Steelers!

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Born And raised in good ol Western PA. Hollidaysburg to be the area.

silver & black
06-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Naw bro, we still hold the title. I have the schedule from 2005 and here is the quote "The Raiders-now in their 46th season- continue to dominate as professional football's winningest team.":cool:

I still have to disagree with you. The Dolphins own that title with a .594 overall winning percentage.

Raider Nation
06-25-2006, 05:08 PM
I still have to disagree with you. The Dolphins own that title with a .594 overall winning percentage.

Let's take a poll on rf.net.

Livinginthe past
06-25-2006, 05:23 PM

Raider nation.

Let me just say its a real pleasure to have a fellow rival fan come onto this forum and approach it in the right spirit - your fellow Raider Silver&Black has been a quality addition also.

I am from London, UK - I have supported the Patriots since I was about 11/12 - ill fully admit it was the fact that they had 'England' in their name that attracted me initially.

Since then I have been obessed with their yearly struggles against mediocrity and lately playoff success.

I always seem to end up following the under-dog - I wouldnt have it any other way.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Raider nation.

Let me just say its a real pleasure to have a fellow rival fan come onto this forum and approach it in the right spirit - your fellow Raider Silver&Black has been a quality addition also.

I am from London, UK - I have supported the Patriots since I was about 11/12 - ill fully admit it was the fact that they had 'England' in their name that attracted me initially.

Since then I have been obessed with their yearly struggles against mediocrity and lately playoff success.

I always seem to end up following the under-dog - I wouldnt have it any other way.

NM

I wonder how you became a Pats fan since you are from England. I never hated the Pats until they started beating the Steelers in AFC title games.

Livinginthe past
06-25-2006, 05:36 PM
I wonder how you became a Pats fan since you are from England. I never hated the Pats until they started beating the Steelers in AFC title games.

I think thats when alot of people started hating them.

Its why I think bengal fans should be pleased with the amount of attention they are getting (the non-moronic ones) - if you ain't a threat people just feel sorry for you.

If I was a Steeler fan I would hate what the Patriots did to them at home them two years.

We used to get a sunday night game back in the old days (early 90's) - now (after a period of no coverage) we get two sunday games (and early and a late kick-off) plus monday night.

Thanks to the advent of cable TV.

Seems almost as good as American fans get!

On a side note we had the best music for NFL coverage in the 90's - Frankie goes to Hollywood and 'Two Tribes' seems pretty fitting.

NM

HburgXL06
06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Raider nation.

NM

I'm just curious on a few things.

Considerin England has such a strong soccer (football) followin how did you become interested in American football?

Do you still live in England?

What channels over there cover American football and what times do they usually come on? Could you get a satellite hook up and get better coverage? Just wonderin.

Peace.

BuFu

Livinginthe past
06-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm just curious on a few things.

Considerin England has such a strong soccer (football) followin how did you become interested in American football?

Do you still live in England?

What channels over there cover American football and what times do they usually come on? Could you get a satellite hook up and get better coverage? Just wonderin.

Peace.

BuFu

Hey Hburg,

Im a season ticket holder at my local soccer team - Luton Town FC (http://www.lutontown.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome) - they are my No.1 team.

I have lived my whole life in England, apart from an 18 month tour of the 'world'.

Its hard to say why i got into American football - I guess i was attracted by the glitz and the big hits - after that I was intruiged by the military nature of the game.

I love the battle of wits between coaches, the schemes and the tactics - soccer often relies on individual brilliance rather than good planning - thats what has me hooked.

Hopefully I will find myself in the states in the next year or so and ill be able to catch an NFL game live - I have a friend from the UK who lives in Seattle currently.

I think two games on a sunday, live, and one on a monday is just enough football for me.

The 1pm games (your time) are on at 6pm here and the (4pm,4.15pm) ones are at 9 and 9.15 respectively.

This means I get to see 3 games live each weekend. Pretty good no?

The presenters are a little on the dodgy side (you guys love Brits using the word dodgy right?) but its still compulsive viewing.

NM

silver & black
06-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I already asked over there... so far they agree that the phins own the title... for now.

SteelerzGirl
06-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Ebensburg, Pennsylvania! Woot!

BlackNGold203
06-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Butler, Pennsylvania

(35 miles north of Pittsburgh)

SteelShooter
06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Okey-Dokey now..............

I was born in what is now Northern Houston (back then it was still oustide the amoebic city limits).

I grew up in a small town that was founded by family called Splendora (the town, not the family LOL!). It was named for the "Splendid Flora" which I have not quite figured out why since I live in the Pine thickets of the Texas Gulf Coastal Plains where there are not that many wild flowers except for the bluebonnets and Indian Paint Brushes.

I have been a Steeler all my life, as far back as I remember. My saying is: "I've been a fan of Steeler Football since I knew what Football was.........."

I have been around the world a few times during my tenure with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club and currently live in Imperial Beach, CA (San Diego area). There are a LOT of Steelers Fans here!

I will be transferring to Bay St Louis, Mississippi somewhere between October and January...prolly around November, but will be waving my terrible towel in the heart of Saints and Falcons country too!

HburgXL06
06-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey Hburg,

Im a season ticket holder at my local soccer team - Luton Town FC (http://www.lutontown.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome) - they are my No.1 team.

I've always admired diehard soccer team fans, especially those from England, possibly because they have such a reputation for bein nuts. I've never really gotten into the game myself though, maybe because I don't know how any of the leagues work or the rules of the game.

I have lived my whole life in England, apart from an 18 month tour of the 'world'.

Where did you tour for 18 months? Anywhere in the States?

Its hard to say why i got into American football - I guess i was attracted by the glitz and the big hits - after that I was intruiged by the military nature of the game.

I love the battle of wits between coaches, the schemes and the tactics - soccer often relies on individual brilliance rather than good planning - thats what has me hooked.

I'll admit even wit a "humble" team like the Steelers there still is a lot of glitz and glamour in the sport of football, I think that is partially due to the American culture that loves seein that aspect of anythin. I have thought about the military similarities as well. You have an army that trains year round (all squads from starters to the practice squad), two armies that square off on a battlefield, a head general and his colonels underneath him, soldiers that each have their individual weapons (speed, power, leadership, etc.), and the battle aspect of the game in the big hits and big plays.

Hopefully I will find myself in the states in the next year or so and ill be able to catch an NFL game live - I have a friend from the UK who lives in Seattle currently.

Awesome! Catch as many games as you can. I'll be honest and say I've never been to a NFL game. I've been to college games at school but that's bout it. I would encourage you if you can to go to a college game, that way you are assured that you will get an excited fanbase cheerin on a team. Enjoy your time here!

I think two games on a sunday, live, and one on a monday is just enough football for me.

The 1pm games (your time) are on at 6pm here and the (4pm,4.15pm) ones are at 9 and 9.15 respectively.

Yea, two games live on Sunday and one on Monday is the best I do wit basic cable here at home. I can never get enough football though.

The presenters are a little on the dodgy side (you guys love Brits using the word dodgy right?) but its still compulsive viewing.

NM

...........What the hell does "dodgy" mean? Lol.

BuFu

Edit: If you don't know already, I'm from Harrisburg aka H-burg aka HBG, Pennsylvania.

floodcitygirl
06-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Born and mostly raised in Johnstown,PA (small town outside of Pittsburgh). Lived in South Florida for a short time, now in Cincy - long term. Always proud to bleed Black & Gold!!

Raider Nation
06-26-2006, 01:12 AM
I already asked over there... so far they agree that the phins own the title... for now.

I'm the one that started the thread in the main forum at rf.net, raiderran already proved you're right:smile:

silver & black
06-26-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm the one that started the thread in the main forum at rf.net, raiderran already proved you're right:smile:
If it's any consolation, I would have rather been wrong!

I think this is the year we start to regain that title!

ARKIESTEEL
06-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Arkansas

HometownGal
06-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I live a few miles south of Pittsburgh in a burb called Pleasant Hills. :smile:

steelersgirl86
06-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I am in Painesville, Ohio born and raised here. But my parents are from PA, all of my brothers except Clevestinks were born here he was the lucky one that was born in PA...but we were all raised hard core black and gold fans and would not have it any other way....

thejim
06-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey Hburg,

NM

That's no worse than we have it here. Most TV markets don't see more than 4-5 games per week unless you have DirectTV. So, you're right on par with US viewers. And we do love to hear the word dodgy.

DIESELMAN
06-26-2006, 08:12 PM
My old man was in the army so we moved around a lot till we got to Ky. I live in Brandenburg about 5 minutes from Ft. Knox.........Steeler fan since I was 7.....:helmet:

Livinginthe past
06-27-2006, 01:52 AM
I've always admired diehard soccer team fans, especially those from England, possibly because they have such a reputation for bein nuts. I've never really gotten into the game myself though, maybe because I don't know how any of the leagues work or the rules of the game.

Where did you tour for 18 months? Anywhere in the States?

I'll admit even wit a "humble" team like the Steelers there still is a lot of glitz and glamour in the sport of football, I think that is partially due to the American culture that loves seein that aspect of anythin. I have thought about the military similarities as well. You have an army that trains year round (all squads from starters to the practice squad), two armies that square off on a battlefield, a head general and his colonels underneath him, soldiers that each have their individual weapons (speed, power, leadership, etc.), and the battle aspect of the game in the big hits and big plays.

Awesome! Catch as many games as you can. I'll be honest and say I've never been to a NFL game. I've been to college games at school but that's bout it. I would encourage you if you can to go to a college game, that way you are assured that you will get an excited fanbase cheerin on a team. Enjoy your time here!

Yea, two games live on Sunday and one on Monday is the best I do wit basic cable here at home. I can never get enough football though.

...........What the hell does "dodgy" mean? Lol.

BuFu

Edit: If you don't know already, I'm from Harrisburg aka H-burg aka HBG, Pennsylvania.

Hey Hburg,

I done alot of Europe, South East Asia and Australiasia in my 18 months tour of the worlds best pubs and bars....I mean cultural fact finding mission.......was only in LA as a short stop over - the US is somewhere I think I would need to devote a seperate trip to - its so huge and diverse.

Dodgy basically means 'suspect' or 'flawed' ie the Bengals run D is 'dodgy' :cool:

Americans and canadians would never get tired of pulling me up on that one everytime I said it.

NM

HburgXL06
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey Hburg,

I done alot of Europe, South East Asia and Australiasia in my 18 months tour of the worlds best pubs and bars....I mean cultural fact finding mission.......was only in LA as a short stop over - the US is somewhere I think I would need to devote a seperate trip to - its so huge and diverse.

Dodgy basically means 'suspect' or 'flawed' ie the Bengals run D is 'dodgy' :cool:

Americans and canadians would never get tired of pulling me up on that one everytime I said it.

NM

Sounds like fun, I would like to see a bit of the world in time. You definately need to designate a whole trip to the US. It is huge and there is so much to see just in one country. It is diverse from one place to another (ie: East Coast and West Coast are very different). Let me know when you are plannin the trip and I'll help you out wit any plans on things to see and places to go etc.

Never heard the word dodgy before you used it. I wouldn't bust on you or even pause a conversation to mention you said it. Everyone got a different way of talkin and expressin themselves so it's all good man. Peace.

BuFu