PDA

View Full Version : No quit in Steelers veteran linebacker Farrior

mesaSteeler
12-30-2011, 07:49 AM
No quit in Steelers veteran linebacker Farrior

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 30, 2011

James Farrior has missed more games this season than in any season since coming to the Steelers in 2002, is on pace for his second fewest tackles during that stint and, at times, has been replaced in the lineup.

Still, the 15-year veteran who is a week away from turning 37 doesn't plan on retiring.

"Dick LeBeau told me a while ago, he said when you retire, you retire for a long time," said Farrior, who is in the last year of his contract. Farrior took that one way: "Play as long as you can."

Farrior has 86 tackles and two sacks while starting 13 of 15 games. He has been replaced for series at a time by backup Larry Foote.

Farrior, who won the Chief Award on Thursday for being most cooperative with the media, said he wants to play "as long as they let me."

>> Right tackle Marcus Gilbert won the Joe Greene Great Performance Award given out by the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America. Gilbert had lunch with Greene while visiting the facilities before the draft.

"It was just an honor to sit down with a legend and arguably the best football player ever in this organization," Gilbert said.

Gilbert has started 12 games.

>> Receiver Emmanuel Sanders said he will play Sunday against the Browns after missing the past three games with a sore right foot.

"I haven't felt this good in five or six weeks," Sanders said.

Sanders first injured his foot in last year's Super Bowl and required offseason surgery. Sanders has missed five of the past seven games and has 21 catches on the year.

>> Safety Troy Polamalu (knee), guard Doug Legursky (shoulder) and running back Mewelde Moore (knee) did not practice for the second consecutive day. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) was limited but is not expected to play.

>> Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians hinted at Trai Essex starting at left guard again, but he expects Chris Kemoeatu to play, as well. Arians said that was the plan last week until Doug Legursky got hurt early in the game, forcing Essex to center.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: No quit in Steelers veteran linebacker Farrior - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_774257.html#ixzz1i1eUXNdA

QCbeauBlak
12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
I love James Farrior and all he has meant to this organization but he can't be serious!? Dude REALLY needs to look at the film which does not lie. Sure he makes a play here and there but at what point is it hurting our defense to NOT have a real run stuffer. At this point James isn't fast enough cover tight ends either? Stevenson Sylvester has look pretty good at times and I feel it is time to promote him. Sure there will be growing pains but c'mon man. James Farrior as a starter 2012?

stb_steeler
12-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Farrior was beat on a few plays last week, it was that obvious to see on tv. Woodley posting all the time on facebook that hes playing and never does.:noidea:

steeltheone
12-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Farrior has that Aaron Smith free pass card to play when your not productive anymore.

tanda10506
12-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I thought Farrior was doing a decent job against the run. He's horrible against the pass though, it's becoming a common site to see him chasing down a TE who just grabbed a big catch. Sylvester played well against the pats, even Foote was playing good in that stretch of games that Farrior missed. He's a real Steeler and I've always liked him, but it is hurting the team, at least in pass coverage.

The injuries are really starting to make me nervous. All these guys sit out week after week after week, with injuries that don't heal. Woodley has played some here and there, but he's missed almost half the season. I understand that you want to rest Woodley and anybody else who's injured for the playoffs, but usually that has bad results too. The SB often goes to the team playing the best at the time of playoff entry, having a banged up team or having a team that is full of guys that haven't practiced in 2-3 weeks is even worse, I hope for the best.

DanRooney
12-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Farrior has that Aaron Smith free pass card to play when your not productive anymore.

:drink:

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Farrior's surprisingly good with the Blitz at this point in his career. A few times I've noticed him knocking over ends or running right through the middle for a sack. He's not going to be a good cover guy, but he's not a corner back, so I really don't expect him too. Not to mention he's fourth in defensive stats. He will probably see his productivity time significantly reduced next year.

harts
12-30-2011, 04:42 PM
He's got a year left in him - dont know what his contract is like - but he can be a good backup

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 04:46 PM
He's got a year left in him - dont know what his contract is like - but he can be a good backup

He's easily one of our defense's most knowledgeable players, and he'd be an excellent mentor for the young guns.

steeltheone
12-30-2011, 06:01 PM
We have enough veteran leadership on the Defense...We need a young kick ass type of guy.

DanRooney
12-30-2011, 06:15 PM
He's easily one of our defense's most knowledgeable players, and he'd be an excellent mentor for the young guns.

Sounds awfully familiar...

http://fim.413chan.net/oatmeal/src/132298627974-hines-ward-crying.gif

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Ward has been mentoring the young receivers we have on our roster. I have reason to believe that Hines is probably a big reason these young guns have learned so much, and continue to improve. But that's just my opinion, don't bash it.

tony hipchest
12-30-2011, 06:51 PM

:laughing: reaching into bungles and brownie fan's bag of tricks?-

ueywqUBW3oM&feature=related

ricardisimo
12-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah, Farrior really hasn't been producing at all, and it shows in our defensive rankings. :rolleyes:

steeltheone
12-30-2011, 07:41 PM
We have done well considering the injuries, no doubt. Makes me happy.

Im feel sure we all know the weaker links. just part of aging, happens.

tony hipchest
12-30-2011, 07:58 PM
people should really watch nfl playbook, match up, mix in some sirius radio and other shows that really get down into the x's and o's.

joe theismann just broke down some great film showing how ray lewis is exposed and a liability in pass coverage.

yet ravenfans still lick his nuts and the rest of the world (including players and coaches) repeatedly vote him into the pro-bowl as one of the best at his postitions.

yet here farrior cant even get a little respect on our very own fanboard? wasnt he voted team MVP as recently as 07 and 08?

'steeler fans" who amount to nothing more than haters and brownie clones never cease to amaze me.

ray lewis cant even cover david johnson at TE., let alone a rb on a passing pattern, yet farrior is still demonized for getting burnt by ray rice 2-3 years ago. :rolleyes:

theplatypus
12-30-2011, 08:28 PM
people should really watch nfl playbook, match up, mix in some sirius radio and other shows that really get down into the x's and o's.

joe theismann just broke down some great film showing how ray lewis is exposed and a liability in pass coverage.

yet ravenfans still lick his nuts and the rest of the world (including players and coaches) repeatedly vote him into the pro-bowl as one of the best at his postitions.

yet here farrior cant even get a little respect on our very own fanboard? wasnt he voted team MVP as recently as 07 and 08?

'steeler fans" who amount to nothing more than haters and brownie clones never cease to amaze me.

ray lewis cant even cover david johnson at TE., let alone a rb on a passing pattern, yet farrior is still demonized for getting burnt by ray rice 2-3 years ago. :rolleyes:

For dannyboy to do anything like that first he would have to admit that his understanding of football is rudimentary at best.

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 09:44 PM

I agree in every aspect. Hell, Hines Ward can't seem to get respect from some of the people on this board. These players that have played Steeler football in every sense of the name.

tony hipchest
12-30-2011, 10:08 PM
i think veteran bashing is the newest trend; the "flavor of the month" if you will.

o-line bashing seems dead. after 2 sb appearances and another playoff run in '11, it really doesnt hold much water anymore.

gay bashing is no longer "in". people dont even bother pointing out his mistakes on a weekly basis. cries for him to be immediately cut while still on the field have come to a grinding halt.

hell, even arians bashing seems to be losing steam.

for those "steelerfans" who MUST constantly have a target of their hatred, and PMS, the veterans are an obvious choice.

almost a natural and predictable progression (or should i say regression?).

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
i think veteran bashing is the newest trend; the "flavor of the month" if you will.

o-line bashing seems dead. after 2 sb appearances and another playoff run in '11, it really doesnt hold much water anymore.

gay bashing is no longer "in". people dont even bother pointing out his mistakes on a weekly basis. cries for him to be immediately cut while still on the field have come to a grinding halt.

hell, even arians bashing seems to be losing steam.

for those "steelerfans" who MUST constantly have a target of their hatred, and PMS, the veterans are an obvious choice.

almost a natural and predictable progression (or should i say regression?).

I stand by my team no matter what. But if you think about it, if there wasn't negative criticism in this world, there'd be little criticism at all. And with that, there's always that one familiar quote. "Everybody's a critic".

QCbeauBlak
12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
It is not about respect. We all respect the hell out of these guys but PLEASE WATCH THE FILM.. I am no expert but after watching the games over and over again throughout the week I've notice a huge glaring whole right in the middle of our defense. Look at how many passes are completed in the second level between the numbers. Look at how our Mike blitzes are completely ineffective this year. Getting absolutely no pressure on the QB. Sure some of that blame goes on timmons as well but c'mon. Farrior is so small now. He can stop the run but what good teams run the ball anymore?

And who ever said we should respect him and give him support because he was team MVP 4-5 years ago needs to smack themselves.. 4 years ago? lol that's an eternity ago. Again I LOVE JAMES FARRIOR. I wear his jersey. But Farrior's time is up.. oh yeah, Big Snack too!

Bayz101
12-30-2011, 10:18 PM
It is not about respect. We all respect the hell out of these guys but PLEASE WATCH THE FILM.. I am no expert but after watching the games over and over again throughout the week I've notice a huge glaring whole right in the middle of our defense. Look at how many passes are completed in the second level between the numbers. Look at how our Mike blitzes are completely ineffective this year. Getting absolutely no pressure on the QB. Sure some of that blame goes on timmons as well but c'mon. Farrior is so small now. He can stop the run but what good teams run the ball anymore?

And who ever said we should respect him and give him support because he was team MVP 4-5 years ago needs to smack themselves.. 4 years ago? lol that's an eternity ago. Again I LOVE JAMES FARRIOR. I wear his jersey. But Farrior's time is up.. oh yeah, Big Snack too!

That's accurate. Our defense did seem more dominate last year, and that's evident to me. But we've played 2-3 games with last year's defense squad. Harrison went down for a handful of games and Woodley was there. Woodley goes down and Harrison's there. This defense would be a lot better if the starting group would stay healthy.

tony hipchest
12-30-2011, 11:38 PM

And who ever said we should respect him and give him support because he was team MVP 4-5 years ago needs to smack themselves.. 4 years ago? lol that's an eternity ago. Again I LOVE JAMES FARRIOR. I wear his jersey. But Farrior's time is up.. oh yeah, Big Snack too!please... :rolleyes:

YOU may respect them, but i wouldnt be so quick to speak up for some of these other clowns. someone who is to quick to blindly support the haters oughtta smack themselves.

a chimpanzee can WATCH THE FILM over and over. its a whole 'nother thing to understand it. :tap:

i congratulate you for finally figuring out (just this year) that a weakness in dick lebeaus fire zone blitz is in the middle of the field. im guessing you didnt watch many of his defenses throughout its evolution thru the 80's or 90's.

its about the only "weakness". why do you think the teams that have had the most success vs the steelers are those who have a strong TE and efficiently run the west coast crossing patterns and slants? there is absolutely no defense that is fool proof. thats why larry fitzgerald and greg jennings were able to find success up the middle in our last 2 SB's.

sure hampton and farrior are older, but they are still running the defense lebeau calls.

last year people couldnt stop whining because our pass defense supposedly sucked (even though our rush defense was a dominant #1 in the league).

so what did lebeau do? he completely flipped the script, and now we easilly have the best pass defense (better than the jets, texans, and broncos who are all sending their perrenial pro bowl cb's to the pro bowl).

our rush defense has suffered a bit because it is a zero sum game. fickle fans want their cake and to eat it to.

dick lebeau can pretty much do anything he wants to do with his defense short of putting out #1 draft picks and all-pro's at every single position.

you do understand the basic concept of the zone blitz, right? maximum pressure while minimizing the exposure in the backfield.

to get absolute minimum exposure in the backfield this season (and to be dominant in todays pass happy game) we have sacrificed a bit of the pressure and turnovers forced from constant attack mode. injuries to farrior, harrison, and woodley have contributed as well.

lets not forget that farrior was a top 10 draft pick who needed atleast 3 years in the league before he became the dominant force he was with the steelers in the running for defensive MVP accolades.

he will never be that force again, but homers and whiners need to figure out that he simply wont be immediately replaced by some scrub drafted in the 4th round from their favorite college team.

DanRooney
12-31-2011, 12:52 AM
Only a ****ing moron thinks that James Farrior is still playing at a high level.

steeltheone
12-31-2011, 01:03 AM
please... :rolleyes:

YOU may respect them, but i wouldnt be so quick to speak up for some of these other clowns. someone who is to quick to blindly support the haters oughtta smack themselves.

a chimpanzee can WATCH THE FILM over and over. its a whole 'nother thing to understand it. :tap:

i congratulate you for finally figuring out (just this year) that a weakness in dick lebeaus fire zone blitz is in the middle of the field. im guessing you didnt watch many of his defenses throughout its evolution thru the 80's or 90's.

its about the only "weakness". why do you think the teams that have had the most success vs the steelers are those who have a strong TE and efficiently run the west coast crossing patterns and slants? there is absolutely no defense that is fool proof. thats why larry fitzgerald and greg jennings were able to find success up the middle in our last 2 SB's.

sure hampton and farrior are older, but they are still running the defense lebeau calls.

last year people couldnt stop whining because our pass defense supposedly sucked (even though our rush defense was a dominant #1 in the league).

so what did lebeau do? he completely flipped the script, and now we easilly have the best pass defense (better than the jets, texans, and broncos who are all sending their perrenial pro bowl cb's to the pro bowl).

our rush defense has suffered a bit because it is a zero sum game. fickle fans want their cake and to eat it to.

dick lebeau can pretty much do anything he wants to do with his defense short of putting out #1 draft picks and all-pro's at every single position.

you do understand the basic concept of the zone blitz, right? maximum pressure while minimizing the exposure in the backfield.

to get absolute minimum exposure in the backfield this season (and to be dominant in todays pass happy game) we have sacrificed a bit of the pressure and turnovers forced from constant attack mode. injuries to farrior, harrison, and woodley have contributed as well.

lets not forget that farrior was a top 10 draft pick who needed atleast 3 years in the league before he became the dominant force he was with the steelers in the running for defensive MVP accolades.

he will never be that force again, but homers and whiners need to figure out that he simply wont be immediately replaced by some scrub drafted in the 4th round from their favorite college team.
Everyone can be replaced...Everyone

tony hipchest
12-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Everyone can be replaced...Everyone

:yep: yep.

...even terry bradshaw.

ricardisimo
12-31-2011, 02:16 AM

That "glaring hole" in our pass D, in case you haven't noticed, is the number one pass defense in the league. :noidea:

I swear, the way some of you talk, we're a mediocre unit losing games because of the likes of Farrior and Ward. The truth is quite the opposite; these veterans answer the call when they get it. I'm sorry that every position can't be manned by a DPotY in his prime. That's just not how the game is put together, you obviously understand that much.

Rick5895
12-31-2011, 04:47 AM
please... :rolleyes:

:drink:

Absolutely!! Farrior is not the player he was, but if it was so easy to replace him we would have phased him out like they have with Hines. Problem is, he is not so easily phased out. His ability to make the calls and pre snap adjustments in this D is very important.
Most people on this board or any fan forum or any team can't see anything unless it's pointed out by a so called expert. There is more to this game than "fantasy stats lines" and alot of people nowadays just don't understand this game anymore.
But, Tony, you are wasting your time arguing with the haters, they don't want to here it. We do have to draft a replacement, however it will still be a year or two before that player can actually make an impact.
I'm glad we have Farrior and Ward, but there time will come sooner than later to retire, maybe even after this season.

steeltheone
12-31-2011, 06:17 AM
Blaine Gabbert, Kevin Kolb, Curtis Painter, Colt McCoy, rookie x2 in Dalton, Tavaris Jackson, and Tyler Palko, Kellen Clemons and this week Seneca Wallace.

I know our pass Defense has improved but anyone who looks at this list has to be realistic.

Bayz101
12-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Blaine Gabbert, Kevin Kolb, Curtis Painter, Colt McCoy, rookie x2 in Dalton, Tavaris Jackson, and Tyler Palko, Kellen Clemons and this week Seneca Wallace.

I know our pass Defense has improved but anyone who looks at this list has to be realistic.

Tom Brady must be terrible, he didn't even make that list!

steeltheone
12-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Brady was still 24 of 35 for 198 with 2 tds . We did a great job of keeping him off the field and limiting big plays, after getting the lead.

I have no clue how the Patriots are where they are with the worst Defense in the league.

I just watch week after week of Clark and Farrior 3 steps behind recievers and worry how we will do in playoff time.

tony hipchest
12-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Brady was still 24 of 35 for 198 with 2 tds . We did a great job of keeping him off the field and limiting big plays, after getting the lead.

I have no clue how the Patriots are where they are with the worst Defense in the league.

I just watch week after week of Clark and Farrior 3 steps behind recievers and worry how we will do in playoff time.

do you watch any other teams exclusively besides the steelers. i, for instance, watch every cowboys and bears game if its not a schedule conflict with the black and gold.

you just described 90% of all free safeties and ILB's in the league. that is why they are FS & ILB and not edge pass rushers or CB's.

so what you are saying is players with 4.6 speed cant keep up with the wr's and rb's with 4.3-4.4 speed and TE's with 4.5 speed?

that is an earth shattering revelation, there.

its the nature of the game. sometimes you have to take the good with the bad and cant have top speed at EVERY single position. the game is more than just speed. Ike taylor has all the speed in the world but cant catch. mike wallace has even more speed but didnt even come close to sniffing his predicted 2000 yds receiving. rashard mendenhall isnt as fast as chris johnson. polamalu is so fast he concusses himself and many times too quick to wrap up.

what dont people understand about this? fariors speed out of college is probably right about where it is now. theres not always a huge drop off with age... just ask darrell green. tony gonzalez looks just as fast as ever.

now, farrior is definitely being asked to cover much quicker players. the reason rob gronkowski is SO good is because nobody can cover him.

theplatypus
12-31-2011, 10:19 AM
now, farrior is definitely being asked to cover much quicker players. the reason rob gronkowski is SO good is because nobody can cover him.

Don't forget that Brady consistently puts the ball where only Gronkowski can make a play.

tony hipchest
12-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Don't forget that Brady consistently puts the ball where only Gronkowski can make a play.no doubt. brees to graham and rogers to finley for that matter.

it should come as no suprize that the more teams that switch to a 3-4 defense (atleast half the league now), the more teams (atleast the smart and offensively successful teams) are drafting these uber atheletic TE's to attack the inherent "weakness" in the 3-4 zone blitz scheme.

QCbeauBlak
12-31-2011, 11:28 AM
tony, you make really good points. I've said that I am no expert and do not fully understand the zone scheme, but I am far from a defensive slouch. My question to you directly is at what point do you give the reigns to someone younger, faster, and stronger?

I do not expect any defense to stop every play. The league is getting tougher and tougher to defend every year it seems. Sure you have to take the good with the bad. But how much of it is scheme vs athleticism and youth? Personally, I haven't been as big a fan of our scheme since we've went away from the "ameba" look. Also, are you even considering that we have had an extremely weak schedule this year? The patriots game was probably my favorite game because of the way we lined up each play and made it difficult for Brady to make pre-snap reads.

Lastly, understand that the fan side of me has grown very accustomed to the effectiveness of a healthy Woodley and Harrison so I understand why I and other fans get so impatient with a sucky pass rush and an inability to create turnovers. It's just that after watching so many other teams, it really seems like something is very wrong.. we have played HORRIBLE offenses

tony hipchest
12-31-2011, 12:19 PM
tony, you make really good points. I've said that I am no expert and do not fully understand the zone scheme, but I am far from a defensive slouch. My question to you directly is at what point do you give the reigns to someone younger, faster, and stronger?

I do not expect any defense to stop every play. The league is getting tougher and tougher to defend every year it seems. Sure you have to take the good with the bad. But how much of it is scheme vs athleticism and youth? Personally, I haven't been as big a fan of our scheme since we've went away from the "ameba" look. Also, are you even considering that we have had an extremely weak schedule this year? The patriots game was probably my favorite game because of the way we lined up each play and made it difficult for Brady to make pre-snap reads.

Lastly, understand that the fan side of me has grown very accustomed to the effectiveness of a healthy Woodley and Harrison so I understand why I and other fans get so impatient with a sucky pass rush and an inability to create turnovers. It's just that after watching so many other teams, it really seems like something is very wrong.. we have played HORRIBLE offensesevery team has played horrible offenses. in fact the very best defensive teams have all been aided by horrible offenses.

texans get to beat up the colts twice. 49ers get to beat up the rams 2X, and the ravens ans steelers get the browns. its just the nature of the game.

however we have played 7 games vs opponents who score more than our 20 points per game. one could even say the steelers being ranked 20th in the league in scoring offense is boarderline "horrible".

but to answer your question in regards to farrior, i dont think we "hand over" the reigns. it is up to the steelers to develop a player who is capable of going out and taking them, himself.

just this year we've seen gay and lewis take them from mcfadden. antonio brown took them from ward. legursky took them from kemo. in the past it was timmons taking them from foote, woodley taking them from haggans and harrison taking them from porter. pouncey immediately took the job from hartwig, who was promptly cut and never played another down again.

i think this whole deal with veteran player favoritism is just a myth contrived by fans. more often than not it is proven to be bunk.

when the "next man up" is capable of playing better than james ( this will bear itself out in practice and during study behind the scenes) we will see james role diminished. until then, he remains the best we got. not even aaron curry or rolondo mcclain are gonna come in as rookies and be better. hell, rookies like aaron maybin and vernon gholston were deemed busts. theres still not much heard from sean witherspoon.

sure farrior is replacable just like any player, but its important to remember it took 30 years to replace bradshaw. polamalu may never be replaced.

it is also important to look at how the steelers churn out linebackers. they are the nfl's version of penn state i.e. "linebacker university".

look at all the backers we have had in our modern superbowl era in the last decade- multiple pro bowlers, yet the one constant has remained. james farrior is the QB of the defense and nobody has been able to take the reigns.

steeltheone
12-31-2011, 12:20 PM
what dont people understand about this? fariors speed out of college is probably right about where it is now. theres not always a huge drop off with age... just ask darrell green. tony gonzalez looks just as fast as ever.

Gotta disagree with you here...NOBODY is a fast at 35 as they were coming out of college. Esp a player with 10 plus years of abuse to his body!!

tony hipchest
12-31-2011, 02:58 PM

Gotta disagree with you here...NOBODY is a fast at 35 as they were coming out of college. Esp a player with 10 plus years of abuse to his body!!darrell green was actually quicker at 35.

infact it is said (by him and those who have recently seen him work out) that at the ripe old age of 50 he is still faster than half the cb's in the nfl.

its simply not a factual truth that EVERYBODY is slow once they hit the age of 35. i'll give you they may lose half a step or a step, but in many instances technique and experience can compensate.

sure michael johnson may lose a foot race to usain bolt but he's still faster than 99% of the people on earth..

steeltheone
12-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Cannot compare an athlete in a non contact sport to one getting hit time after time for 10 years. Even by 30 it takes it's toll. Just a fact of the game we love.