PDA

View Full Version : I see a lot of guys retiring after this year

RuHappy69
12-31-2011, 09:32 AM
whether by choice or by push. I see it as follows:

Hines Ward - leaves on his own terms
Chris Hoke - Backup retires due to age and injury. McLendon is the future
Farrior - can't cover anymore and will hang it up. Will Stephenson Sylvester step up?
Kemoeatu - Despite his 5 year deal he signed in 09, he is not worth the money and will either be traded or cut.
Bryant McFadden - Will have to work hard to get a roster spot in 2012. Maybe move to Safety?

Aaron Smith - Age and injuries - Maybe Al Woods steps in. Steelers must like him they brought him back 2x..
Arnez Battle - Just not very good and injury prone.

harrison'samonster
12-31-2011, 10:12 AM
I definitely agree with Smith retiring after this season. Kemoeatu and McFadden will probably be gone as well. I haven't heard much about Farrior retiring though, and the Ward situation might go several different ways. Hines hasn't sounded like he's ready to quit playing yet.

steeltheone
12-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Farrior will make us suffer and ive never been sure how Battle stays on the roster.

Cut Kemo, Fad, Hampton

Resign Hampton cheaper

Curtain_of_Steel
12-31-2011, 10:30 AM
al woods?LOL

So you think Al Woods will step in for Smith? I guess you havent noticed Ziggy, Heyward are on board and McClendon now? LOL

Are you Al's dad?lol

Smith is done regardless of wanting to play or not. He will not be resigned. Ward hopefully gets 5 catches tomorrow and its highly possible as Ben will target him constantly when he is on the field.

Farriorr I think is borderline.

Kemo, hopefully the probowl 5th backup is long gone.
McFadden, gone

There is a lot of money coming off the books and we can revamp some holes quickly and not lose a step.

steelerchad
12-31-2011, 11:05 AM
To think Kemo looked like a bargain as he gave us a hometown discount to stay here instead of taking more money from the Jets. He's been terrible the last 2 years since signing that deal. Maybe he took the discount because he knew he wasn't worth that much money.

BengalDestroyer
12-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Hines will be back
Farrior will be demoted to backup maybe
Hoke will retire
Smith will retire
Kemo must go, don't care how
McFadden may move to safety but I'm sure he stays a Steeler next year
Battle may also no longer be a Steeler, too injury prone as already noted

DanRooney
12-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Can't wait.

But yeah Tomlin is in love with Al Woods. Very raw coming out of college but he'd be a nice backup to any of our defensive linemen.

RuHappy69
12-31-2011, 11:57 AM
A little harsh there Curtin? I didn't mean Al Woods would supplant Hood, I just meant that he would take more of a prominent role and step up next year as part of the rotation. Jeeze, some of you need to back off the coffee..

ETL
12-31-2011, 12:41 PM
If we have depth at that position; they will probably be gone.

With Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen waiting, i dont see Mcfadden on this roster next year.

Smith and Hokie will have to make room for Mcclendon and Heyward.

Farrior and Ward are on the fence to me. I can see Sylvester play ahead of Farrior but i would like more depth and keep Farrior for now. Same for ward. He may be 5th on depth chart next year but i can't see a better 5th receiver for now. He also has much intangible value so unless we make a big FA signing or draft a significant WR i see ward still on this team.

steelfury02
12-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Ward better take a page out of Jerome's book. I can't even believe he said he doesn't know "whether it be here or somewhere else" how much time he has left and its not on his mind

I hope these guys don't have a mental block ala We have to win #7 to send guys out in style - they better just win it for themselves or they never will - that's too much pressure for this group

LayingTheWoodley56
12-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Hines will retire if we win the Super Bowl, a la Bettis - that, I think would be the best scenario for everyone involved, because I know that none of us wants to see Hines go out ingracefully after such a fantastic career here. If not, though, and he still wants to continue playing, why not take him back at a significant discount and keep him around not just as a 4th or 5th wideout, but as a coach-like player and mentor? I can't imagine that some guy off the scrap heap or an unproven rookie is better in that spot than #86.

My gut feeling is that Smith and Hoke will both recognize, as Eminem once said, "when it's it, it's it" and retire. Both have been outstanding Steeler and I know that I will remember them very fondly. Our defensive line of the future seems to be taking shape with Heyward, McClendon and Zig. McFadden and Kemo have both fallen from grace this year, both with the fans as well as the coaches - I can't see either coming back next year, but given our penchant for hanging on to our own, it also wouldn't shock me. The Big Snack is still valuable in the middle, give him one more year at least.

As for Farrior, a favorite of mine and the heart, soul and emotional leader of our defense since his transcendent 2004 season, it will pain me to see him go. I don't think our defense will feel quite right for a little while without seeing #51 quarterbacking it from the middle. His coverage skills are far decreased, obviously, and he doesn't have the havoc-creating ability that made him great in his day. If need be, start Sylvester next year but have Farrior also rotate in, at least for one more year. As with Hines, experience and leadership are not bad things to have down on the depth chart.

Whodis
12-31-2011, 01:29 PM
I hate seeing Smith and Hoke leaving because of injuries, but its inevitable.

Farrior is past his prime. So whats Timmons excuse? Both have been pretty much the same

DanRooney
12-31-2011, 03:01 PM
If we have depth at that position; they will probably be gone.

With Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen waiting, i dont see Mcfadden on this roster next year.

Smith and Hokie will have to make room for Mcclendon and Heyward.

Farrior and Ward are on the fence to me. I can see Sylvester play ahead of Farrior but i would like more depth and keep Farrior for now. Same for ward. He may be 5th on depth chart next year but i can't see a better 5th receiver for now. He also has much intangible value so unless we make a big FA signing or draft a significant WR i see ward still on this team.

Exactly. We have a draft coming up too. We can't keep all of these veterans. We're going to have to at least make room for about 7 more players and it's not like any of our recent draft picks in the past two years have been so bad that we can just release them the next year (see 2009...Urbik, Burnett, Summers, Shipley)

StainlessStill
12-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Timmons excuse? Both have been pretty much the same

Timmons has been my most dissapointing player for me in a LONG TIME. Of course, there's a couple here and there over the years but NOTHING of the caliber of Lawrence Timmons. I thought he was going to be the Steelers MVP and reek havoc on offense's with his unique athletic ability of a potentially a destroyer in splash plays. Other than his tipped INT against the Bungs this season, the only thing I see him do is be out of position in the running game and get stood up on blitz's by much, much smaller running backs.

Dissapointed in #94 more-so than anybody.

theplatypus
12-31-2011, 03:05 PM
A big giant tool.

DanRooney
12-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Timmons has been my most dissapointing player for me in a LONG TIME. Of course, there's a couple here and there over the years but NOTHING of the caliber of Lawrence Timmons. I thought he was going to be the Steelers MVP and reek havoc on offense's with his unique athletic ability of a potentially a destroyer in splash plays. Other than his tipped INT against the Bungs this season, the only thing I see him do is be out of position in the running game and get stood up on blitz's by much, much smaller running backs.

Dissapointed in #94 more-so than anybody.

Same. He's been very quiet this year after having an awesome season last year. Hopefully he rebounds come playoff time.

tony hipchest
12-31-2011, 03:37 PM
....and it's not like any of our recent draft picks in the past two years have been so bad that we can just release them the next year...

meh.

we draft atleast one complete bust like thadeus gibson (4th round) or frank summers (although still in the league) every year. see- thad gibson.

ueywqUBW3oM&feature=related

he was so bad we cut him just so aaron smith could have his seat on the plane on the way to the superbowl.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2011, 03:45 PM
2012 cap chart subtract the base salary from the cap charge and you'll get the "dead money" (bonus money )
if the steelers were to cut the highlighted players in addition to the ones already cut, they'd have roughly 11 mill in dead money , and would save about 24 million on payroll, leaving a +13 mill. for the cap

[IMG]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2528/capturexdv.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/capturexdv.jpg/)

[IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4498/captureoha.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/captureoha.jpg/)

DanRooney
12-31-2011, 03:50 PM
meh.

we draft atleast one complete bust like thadeus gibson (4th round) or frank summers (although still in the league) every year. see- thad gibson.

ueywqUBW3oM&feature=related

he was so bad we cut him just so aaron smith could have his seat on the plane on the way to the superbowl.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Video wasn't funny the 4th time you posted it. Are you just trying to get attention now? :toofunny:

tony hipchest
12-31-2011, 04:09 PM
2012 cap chart subtract the base salary from the cap charge and you'll get the "dead money" (bonus money )
if the steelers were to cut the highlighted players in addition to the ones already cut, they'd have roughly 10 mill in dead money , and would save about 25 million on payroll, leaving a +15 mill. for the cap

:players cut next year will have their bonus money amortized, thus giving 2 years to pay off the "dead money"- next season and 2013.

Video wasn't funny the 4th time you posted it. Are you just trying to get attention now?

dan, i also remember you crying when crez butler was cut in favor of william gay. *cue vid*

WAH WAH WA WAAAAAAAHHHHHH....

fail again!

DanRooney
12-31-2011, 04:57 PM
players cut next year will have their bonus money amortized, thus giving 2 years to pay off the "dead money"- next season and 2013.

dan, i also remember you crying when crez butler was cut in favor of william gay. *cue vid*

WAH WAH WA WAAAAAAAHHHHHH....

fail again!

Because you defending Gay and saying how awesome he was.

Oh wait.

OWNED AGAIN HIPCHEST!!! :chuckle::toofunny:

tony hipchest
12-31-2011, 05:30 PM
OWNED AGAIN HIPCHEST!!! :chuckle::toofunny:

A failure deserves a playing of the losing horn. An epic fail deserves this.

U43Ate3Itjs

Bayz101
12-31-2011, 05:44 PM
All this talk about gay and horn(y) is making me sick :chuckle:

ETL
12-31-2011, 08:04 PM
[IMG]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2528/capturexdv.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/capturexdv.jpg/)

Thanks MOP for this info. The only way Hampton, Kemo and Ward stay on this team next year is to take a paycut. Because of the salary cap, what players ask for in salary affects what a team can do in other positions (that is why the Colts have won only 1 SB - Peyton costs too much and they lack depth and talent in other positions).

Whodis
12-31-2011, 08:18 PM
The good news would be that there isn't a big market for Hampton. The bad news is we have no one to replace him.

steeltheone
12-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Hampton is not on the field near like he used to be and when he is, you cannot tell any difference if it's him, Hoke or mcclendon . Not 4 mill difference of play anyhow.

AgentGold007
01-01-2012, 01:53 AM
I believe Smith retires, Ward probably retires if we win that big game in February, Kemo should already be gone, Farrior is demoted to backup behind Sylvester or maybe Foote, and I don't believe McFadden will be moved to safety because he'd probably only be able to backup Clark at free safety and we got Mundy for that, don't see him backing up Troy at strong safety either, I got a feeling we will be drafting someone this year to do that. Just my opinion.

steelcity1974
01-01-2012, 02:42 AM
whether by choice or by push. I see it as follows:

Hines Ward - leaves on his own terms
Chris Hoke - Backup retires due to age and injury. McLendon is the future
Farrior - can't cover anymore and will hang it up. Will Stephenson Sylvester step up?
Kemoeatu - Despite his 5 year deal he signed in 09, he is not worth the money and will either be traded or cut.
Bryant McFadden - Will have to work hard to get a roster spot in 2012. Maybe move to Safety?

Aaron Smith - Age and injuries - Maybe Al Woods steps in. Steelers must like him they brought him back 2x..
Arnez Battle - Just not very good and injury prone.

Every one of them can retire and the team doesn't miss a step...what's your point?

Rick5895
01-01-2012, 05:44 AM
I really don't believe Farrior or Ward will retire. I am hopeful for Bettis like pay cuts for the two of them. I hate the way Franco left and would hate to see these two suffer the same fate.
I would think Kemo, McFad, and maybe Foote would be let go, although Foote is a viable back up, just not at his salary and cap hit. Smith and Hokie likely will retire. We really don't have a reasonable replacement for Hampton yet so maybe he will agree to a paycut as well and stay.
However, all those folks wishing for Farrior to leave have to realize at this time we just don't have a viable backup. If Sylvester was the real deal there he would have been pushing Farrior out this season as the young WR's have done with Ward. Even if we draft a ILB, he may not be ready to replace Farrior and James makes the defensive calls, so unless Timmons has progressed to the point to do that or One of our DB's can handle that we will suffer there too.
As for Ward, we may just need him. Cotchery is a UFA and will he resign to be number 3 or 4. Sanders is oft inured and Wallace needs to be resigned.
We can hopefully draft ILB, Safety, and NT in the upcoming draft, but where we will be picking I find it hard to imagine an instant starter at those positions, although we don't need a starter right away at safety.
Thee is an old saying,...."be careful what you wish for, you may just get it"

ricardisimo
01-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Hampton is not getting cut. Don't know who started that rumor or speculation, but however much his play dropped off, it's still solid by league standards. He was a bargain to begin with, maybe less so now, but so what?

Also, the Starks money is a dead issue now that he's resigned, right? That was his old contract.

steeltheone
01-01-2012, 04:33 PM
C'mon you know the guy is not what he was and when he is out it makes no difference....We have younger productive guys to sign!