PDA

View Full Version : Penguins Select Jordan Staal

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Penguins select Jordan Staal with their No. 2 pick
Saturday, June 24, 2006
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Penguins selected center Jordan Staal with the No. 2 pick in this evening's NHL entry draft at GM Place.

Staal, a 6 foot 4, 215-pound center from Peterborough in the Ontario Hockey League, had 28 goals and 400 assists in 68 games last season. NHL Central Scouting rated him second among forwards and defensemen from North America.

St. Louis, which had the No. 1 choice in the draft, selected defenseman Erik Johnson from the U.S. national developmental program. He was the only player rated ahead of Staal.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero fielded numerous trade proposals in the days leading up to the draft -- Carolina and Nashville appeared to be particularly interested in acquiring the Penguins' first-rounder -- but ultimately deemed them all inadequate to make him pass on Staal.

"He's got a lot of room to grow, and this kid has uncanny hockey sense," Shero said. "He's so skilled. It's hard to contain guys like that. When you're drafting at (No.) 2, I want to take the upside of the player, and I think he's got it."

In the second round, the Penguins selected Carl Sneep, a 6 foot 4, 210 pound defenseman from Brainerd, Minn. He was rated No. 26 among North American forwards and defensemen.

Sneed had 14 goals and 23 assists in 26 games for Brainerd High School. He is scheduled to attend Boston College.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06175/701011-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Wow..........4 out of the 8 first picks were American. Nice to see.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2006, 06:05 AM
Also........

Penguins buyout Caron and Endicott's contracts
Saturday, June 24, 2006

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Penguins have bought out the contracts of goalie Sebastien Caron and center Shane Endicott, making both unrestricted free agents.

Caron and Endicott were entering the final year of their deals, and will receive one-third of the money they were scheduled to earn in 2006-07.

Caron, who would have been in the final season of a four-year deal, was to earn $722,000, and will get $240,664.26 in his buyout. Endicott, entering the back end of a two-year contract, was to be paid $643,720 and will receive $214,573.31.

Caron, who turns 26 tomorrow, was the Penguins' fourth-round draft choice in 1999. He was 8-9-5, with a 3.98 goals-against average and .881 save percentage in 26 games with the Penguins last season.

Endicott, 24, was a second-round choice in 2000, and entered last fall as a top candidate to center the checking line. He got a severe ankle sprain a few days into training camp, however, and was unimpressive in 41 games with the Penguins, putting up one goal and one assist.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2006, 06:22 AM
NHL Draft: Penguins round by round selections
Sunday, June 25, 2006

1. Jordan Staal ..... Center

6-4, 215 pounds ..... Peterborough Petes (OHL)

Data: Born Sept. 10, 1988. ... Taken with the No. 2 overall choice. ... NHL Central Scouting rated him the No. 2 prospect among North American forwards and defensemen. ... Has outstanding hand skills and is considered a good skater for a big man, although his speed must continue to improve. ... Is the younger brother of Carolina center Eric Staal, who was taken second in the 2003 draft and was regarded as more polished, but not as physically dominant, at the same age.

2. Carl Sneep ..... Defenseman

6-4, 210 pounds ..... Brainerd (Minn.) High School

Data: Born Nov. 5, 1987. ... Taken with the No. 32 choice. ... Central Scouting rated him the No. 26 prospect among North American forwards and defensemen. ... Has solid all-around game, but will be looking to add a mean streak to take advantage of his size. ... Put up 14 goals and 23 assists in 26 games at Brainerd before joining Lincoln of the United States Hockey League after the high school season. ... Plans to attend Boston College.

3. Brian Strait ..... Defenseman

6-0, 200 pounds ..... U.S. national developmental program

Data: Born Jan. 4, 1988. ... Taken with the No. 65 choice. ... Was Central Scouting's No. 22 prospect among North Americans, and had been projected by many to go late in the first round or early in the second. ... Had two goals and 11 assists in 47 games with the national program, for which he was team captain. ... Is reputed to be excellent body-checker, despite relatively modest size. ... Plans to attend Boston University.

4. No pick

Note: Traded to Florida for a fourth-round choice in 2007.

5. Chad Johnson Goalie

6 foot 2, 175 pounds Alaska-Fairbanks (CCHA)

Data: Born June 10, 1986. ... Taken with the 125th choice. ... NHL Central Scouting had him rated the No. 21 goaltender in North America. ... Was 6-7-4, with a 2.56 goals-against average in 18 games last season. ... Catches left.

6. No pick

7. Timo Seppanen Defenseman

6 foot 1, 209 pounds IFK Helsinki (Finland juniors)

Data: Born July 22, 1987. ? Taken with the 185th choice. ? Was ranked 13th among European forwards and defensemen after being 37th in Central Scouting's midseason ratings. ? Plays a simple game and has been praised for his hockey sense.

BlackNGold203
06-25-2006, 07:10 AM
We continue to stockpile young talent.....

My worries are.....

1. Can Shero put together the right mix of youth and veterans? (Unlike the Patrick debacle of last year)

2. WHEN the team is sold (foregone conclusion)..will it stay in Pittsburgh

Prosdo
06-25-2006, 07:25 AM
I love the young talent we are getting here in Pittsburgh. As far as the team staying in Pittsburgh I think they will. Now the Penguins are not as big as the Steelers are, but they do have a big following here.

Prosdo
06-25-2006, 07:29 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Prosdo/full.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Wow..........4 out of the 8 first picks were American. Nice to see.

Well, I really try to get into the NHL. But for some reason I just can't get into like I do other major sports. I did watch and follow the Pens when Mario and Jagar were on the team. Mostly the playoffs.

I couldn't tell you anything about this current pick. I knew Sid the Kid was going to be special player and he had a hell of rookie year. But about this current pick. Of course he isn't going to be on the Sidney Crosby level of talent. But was it a good pick for the Pens? I thought they needed some defensivemen or if I'm wrong on that let me now. When the NHL season does start I'll try like every year to get into it.

SteelCityMan786
06-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I love the young talent we are getting here in Pittsburgh. As far as the team staying in Pittsburgh I think they will. Now the Penguins are not as big as the Steelers are, but they do have a big following here.

No Doubt prosdo. If Rendell and the PGC no what's better for PA they give the slots license in Pittsburgh to Pittsburgh First. That new Arena will play big in the redevelopment in the lower hill district.

Petesburgh66
06-25-2006, 12:07 PM
The Penguins were damed if they do and damed if they don't with the second pick. They needed a stud D but couldn't get it via a trade for the second pick. Since Erik Johnson was picked first, the next top 5 players were centres. With Malkin coming in this year, I don't think Pittsburgh was looking for another centre. But you couldn't pass up on Staal.

Scouts say that Jordan Staal is better than his brother Eric in Carolina. He has the same physical presence and a slighly better skill set than Eric. He is great skater and faceoff man with a long reach. For his size, to have those skills with the new NHL is a huge bonus. He will be a good two play player. But time will only tell. He could be the next Brett Lindros.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2006, 12:10 PM
But about this current pick. Of course he isn't going to be on the Sidney Crosby level of talent. But was it a good pick for the Pens? I thought they needed some defensivemen or if I'm wrong on that let me now. When the NHL season does start I'll try like every year to get into it.

Well, we were picking 2nd overall in the draft. Eitherway your going to grab a good hockey player. Staal will be special in my opinion. I think he will compliment both Malkin and Crosby very nicely. Staal also comes from good hockey stalk. He has two older brothers in the NHL, Eric being the most noted. Recently won the cup with Carolina and is one hell of a hockey player.

As for defenseman. We did take three defenseman in this draft after drafting Staal. With the exception of Erik Johnson, there wasn't a defenseman taken until the 16th overall pick. It's hard passing up on a kid like Staal in order to take Ty Wishart (16th overall). For the most part I think we made the right decisions. We got a damn good future forward to play with Crosby, Malkin and Armstrong while also stacking up on our defense.

With the exception of Staal, the one player I'm going to keep a close eye on is defenseman Carl Sneep. Kid is 6-4 210. I would love to see this kid turn into a good, solid, punishing defensive/defenseman. We have not had that since Ulf Samuelson. Should be fun to watch.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, we were picking 2nd overall in the draft. Eitherway your going to grab a good hockey player. Staal will be special in my opinion. I think he will compliment both Malkin and Crosby very nicely. Staal also comes from good hockey stalk. He has two older brothers in the NHL, Eric being the most noted. Recently won the cup with Carolina and is one hell of a hockey player.

As for defenseman. We did take three defenseman in this draft after drafting Staal. With the exception of Erik Johnson, there wasn't a defenseman taken until the 16th overall pick. It's hard passing up on a kid like Staal in order to take Ty Wishart (16th overall). For the most part I think we made the right decisions. We got a damn good future forward to play with Crosby, Malkin and Armstrong while also stacking up on our defense.

With the exception of Staal, the one player I'm going to keep a close eye on is defenseman Carl Sneep. Kid is 6-4 210. I would love to see this kid turn into a good, solid, punishing defensive/defenseman. We have not had that since Ulf Samuelson. Should be fun to watch.

Thanks man for the info. Like I said I don't get into the NHL like other sports. So I don't know as much about it like I do the other sports. This kid Staal sounds like a really good player. Pens do have alot of promising talent. They are getting Malkin back right? I will try to get into the NHL. I hope the Pens stay in the Burgh.

Pittsburgh till I die brother.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2006, 12:21 PM
We continue to stockpile young talent.....

My worries are.....

1. Can Shero put together the right mix of youth and veterans? (Unlike the Patrick debacle of last year)

2. WHEN the team is sold (foregone conclusion)..will it stay in Pittsburgh

I'll simply cut and paste from another thread that I responsed to on my opinion of Shero and Patrick.

With Shero...he showed a keen eye for identifying talent that could play well within an up-tempo, disciplined system. Nashville's system was ahead of the NHL game before the lockout, as we saw in the 2003-04 season. It's a system that is similar to the one Therrien teaches, predicated on speed, positioning, cycling and forcing turnovers in the neutral zone.

That, to me, was the big difference between Shero and someone like Neil Smith. Smith is a very solid hockey mind with an eye for hockey talent. But he could never get the pieces to fit together, and much like Craig Patrick, that proved to be his demise. Smith and Patrick (this past season in particular) always seemed more enamored with the player's name than his ability to play a particular role.

Also, with Shero you will not have to worry about the buddy/buddy system that was hurting this team when both Patrick and Lemieux were calling the shots. Business is business with Shero. You will not see us hiring Randy Hillier or Joey Mullen as assistant coaches or Edzo as the HC. You will not see us go out and sign expensive, old, big name players that had some sort of affiliation with this team in the past. Shero has expressed that he does not want to win with three or four big names. He wants to spread this team out and win as a team. Last season we had either really young guys or really old guys on this roster. We did not have anything in between. Shero will get this team to win. It may not be next season or the season after, but I'm willing to wait if it means a string of playoff runs and cup wins. I think that's what Shero will bring to this organization.

As for the team being sold and moved. I think we will be able to keep this team in Pittsburgh.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2006, 12:25 PM
They are getting Malkin back right?

Yes, the Russian hockey federation and the NHL came to an agreement. Malkin also inked a three year deal with the Penguins last week. He will be here.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes, the Russian hockey federation and the NHL came to an agreement. Malkin also inked a three year deal with the Penguins last week. He will be here.

Thats good for the Pens. Do you attend alot of Pens games as well? I have never attended an NHL game but I heard its great to watch live.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Thats good for the Pens. Do you attend alot of Pens games as well? I have never attended an NHL game but I heard its great to watch live.

I used to have a full-game package but I dropped it down to a 20 game package. With Patrick gone I'm debating on going back with the full-game.

83-Steelers-43
06-25-2006, 12:33 PM
I have never attended an NHL game but I heard its great to watch live.

You should give it a shot next season. I'm a hockey fan so I enjoy watching it live or on TV. But I have heard from many others (who are not big fans) that they love watching it live. Since I love the new rules installed, it made the game much better in my opinion. Very fast pace and beautiful goals (since you are unable to rape a guy anymore).

You should give it a try and see how you like it brother. Never know until you try.

HometownGal
06-25-2006, 07:21 PM

I agree Prosdo. I don't see Mario selling the team to anyone that isn't going to keep the Pens here. I believe he wouldn't do that to the fans.

I was at the Pens draft day party at Buffalo Wild Wings yesterday afternoon. It was a really fun time and it was great meeting Phil Borque and seeing Pens fans so excited for the upcoming season! :bouncy:

X-Terminator
06-26-2006, 08:15 AM

I haven't heard this - do you have a link? I really hope they have, because I'm really looking forward to seeing Malkin play.

As for Staal, I really like this pick. As someone previously said, there's no way you can pass up a kid with this kind of talent. There were rumblings that the Pens were considering trading the pick to address their defense, but I'm glad they stood pat. They will probably go after one of the FA defensemen, likely Jay McKee from Buffalo, since he may come with the smallest price tag. BTW - Staal has already said that he is willing to play wing, so you may see him play with Crosby and Armstrong at some point.

HometownGal
06-26-2006, 08:46 AM
I used to have a full-game package but I dropped it down to a 20 game package. With Patrick gone I'm debating on going back with the full-game.

Hey 83 - where is your seat? I sit in D-7, Row E.

83-Steelers-43
06-26-2006, 10:20 AM
I haven't heard this - do you have a link? I really hope they have, because I'm really looking forward to seeing Malkin play.

Pulled from the Hfboards...

HFboard post:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...46#post5772646

http://metallurg.ru/news/24144/ (In Russian)

According to Russian Media and Malkin's agent in Russia, Sergey Isakov, Malkin has signed 3-years deal with Pittsburgh but will start training with Metallurg and will report to Pittsburgh in early August.

83-Steelers-43
06-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Hey 83 - where is your seat? I sit in D-7, Row E.

Two seats in section B-16, Row G.

X-Terminator
06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Pulled from the Hfboards...

HFboard post:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...46#post5772646

http://metallurg.ru/news/24144/ (In Russian)

According to Russian Media and Malkin's agent in Russia, Sergey Isakov, Malkin has signed 3-years deal with Pittsburgh but will start training with Metallurg and will report to Pittsburgh in early August.

Thanks for the links, 83. I'm glad everything's been finalized and Malkin can finally come over. Even if the Pens don't make the playoffs, it should be an exciting season watching him and Crosby work their magic every night!

83-Steelers-43
06-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the links, 83. I'm glad everything's been finalized and Malkin can finally come over. Even if the Pens don't make the playoffs, it should be an exciting season watching him and Crosby work their magic every night!

No problem at all. It will be fun to watch those two (and maybe Staal) play together. While I still feel they are a little light on defense in order to make the playoffs (maybe a FA signing could change that?), it will be fun eitherway. With Shero now in charge, I see this team becoming a powerhouse in the near future.

HometownGal
06-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Two seats in section B-16, Row G.

You've probably heard my yap a few times. I'm usually the one who starts the "Go Home Jagr" chants when the Rangers are on the ice - LOL! :sofunny: I'll be sure to send you and your guest down a few beers at the opener!

83-Steelers-43
06-26-2006, 03:29 PM
I'll be sure to send you and your guest down a few beers at the opener!

And I'll be more than happy to return the gesture. :smile:

83-Steelers-43
06-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Penguins make qualifying offers to six free agents
Monday, June 26, 2006

By Shelley Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today made qualifying offers to six of their 17 restricted free agents, including forwards Colby Armstrong and Ryan Malone, defenseman Brooks Orpik and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury -- four players who are considered integral to the team's building process.

In something of a surprise, forwards Andy Hilbert, who played on the top line with Sidney Crosby, and Konstantin Koltsov, a former first-round draft pick, were among the 11 players who were not given qualifying offers.

They and the others not offered -- forwards Ben Eaves, Krystofer Kolanos, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy and Petr Taticek, defensemen Drew Fata, Alex Rouleau and Andy Schneider, and goaltender Andy Chiodo -- will become unrestricted free agents on Saturday.

The other players given qualifying offers are forwards Niklas Nordgren and Jani Rita.

By tendering qualifying offers, the Penguins retain those players' rights and have the right to match offers from other teams.

X-Terminator
06-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Penguins make qualifying offers to six free agents
Monday, June 26, 2006

By Shelley Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today made qualifying offers to six of their 17 restricted free agents, including forwards Colby Armstrong and Ryan Malone, defenseman Brooks Orpik and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury -- four players who are considered integral to the team's building process.

In something of a surprise, forwards Andy Hilbert, who played on the top line with Sidney Crosby, and Konstantin Koltsov, a former first-round draft pick, were among the 11 players who were not given qualifying offers.

They and the others not offered -- forwards Ben Eaves, Krystofer Kolanos, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy and Petr Taticek, defensemen Drew Fata, Alex Rouleau and Andy Schneider, and goaltender Andy Chiodo -- will become unrestricted free agents on Saturday.

The other players given qualifying offers are forwards Niklas Nordgren and Jani Rita.

By tendering qualifying offers, the Penguins retain those players' rights and have the right to match offers from other teams.

Yeah, I read this on another hockey site - hockeyfights.com. I don't understand the Hilbert move at all - he played very well on Crosby's line at the end of the season and thought he would be kept around as a second or third-line forward. But yet, they gave offers to Rita and Nordgren, a couple of stiffs? I'm going to trust Shero to make the right moves and assume he has a good reason for letting Hilbert go, but I do not like that move. As for Koltsov being released, it isn't a surprise to me - he's done nothing since being drafted. He has great speed and that's it - he'll never amount to anything other than a 4th liner, if he doesn't spend the rest of his career in the A.

83-Steelers-43
06-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I read this on another hockey site - hockeyfights.com. I don't understand the Hilbert move at all - he played very well on Crosby's line at the end of the season and thought he would be kept around as a second or third-line forward. But yet, they gave offers to Rita and Nordgren, a couple of stiffs? I'm going to trust Shero to make the right moves and assume he has a good reason for letting Hilbert go, but I do not like that move. As for Koltsov being released, it isn't a surprise to me - he's done nothing since being drafted. He has great speed and that's it - he'll never amount to anything other than a 4th liner, if he doesn't spend the rest of his career in the A.

I agree with Hilbert. If you remember, Koltsov actually started to turn a corner when we went down to Carolina and beat them. I still think Koltsov can be a solid hockey player in the long run. My guess is Shero is letting these guys go while taking the gamble that other teams do not see what we saw (Hilbert in particular) in them while being able to sign them for a cheaper price. Also, maybe there are other players in the pool that Shero is eyeing down who he feels will fit this system.

X-Terminator
06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
I agree with Hilbert. If you remember, Koltsov actually started to turn a corner when we went down to Carolina and beat them. I still think Koltsov can be a solid hockey player in the long run. My guess is Shero is letting these guys go while taking the gamble that other teams do not see what we saw (Hilbert in particular) in them while being able to sign them for a cheaper price. Also, maybe there are other players in the pool that Shero is eyeing down who he feels will fit this system.

Yes, Koltsov did play OK down the stretch, but the guy has some of the worst hands I've ever seen on someone who was supposed to be a world-class talent when he was drafted. Maybe someday he'll be better, but right now, he's nothing more than a 4th liner, maybe 3rd liner at best. I have considered your point about Shero's decision to drop Hilbert, though...it's a big gamble, because it's tough to sneak guys like that past GMs. I'm guessing he's banking on everyone being so preoccupied with the initial big-ticket FAs that he'd be able to re-sign Hilbert or any of the others at the price tag he wants. I'm sure though that Shero does want to bring in his own guys, and purge the roster of some of the dregs left behind by Patrick.

83-Steelers-43
06-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Like I said, there are going to be many FA's for Shero to choose from. While Hilbert played solid last season under the Patrick regime, I'm sure Shero has his eye on a few players that are hitting the FA market.

I was expecting and hoping that Shero would shake this organization up a bit. Cut some loose wood and bring in some new timber. X, it will be interesting to watch how a new GM will handle this team.

X-Terminator
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Like I said, there are going to be many FA's for Shero to choose from. While Hilbert played solid last season under the Patrick regime, I'm sure Shero has his eye on a few players that are hitting the FA market.

I was expecting and hoping that Shero would shake this organization up a bit. Cut some loose wood and bring in some new timber. X, it will be interesting to watch how a new GM will handle this team.

Yes it will - anyone would have been better than Craig "Dammit, Naslund-for-Stojanov was a good trade!" Patrick. I believe the Pens will make the playoffs as early as next season if he makes the right deals, but I hope the fans will give him a chance if it doesn't happen.

83-Steelers-43
06-28-2006, 11:17 AM
but I hope the fans will give him a chance if it doesn't happen.

I think the fans will take to him well and give him the time he needs in order to get this franchise on the right track. But, the results of last year will not fly with Penguin fans nor should it, but putting a solid hockey team on the ice will.

Unlike the Pirates, there is light at the end of the tunnel with this franchise, a very bright light in my opinion. The near future will be something to watch and I think most knowledgable hockey fans can see that and will give Shero the time to map out this franchise and get things rolling in the right direction. Personally, I'm not expecting a playoff run next season. I am expecting to witness a young and solid product with high expectations in the years to come.