PDA

View Full Version : Very sloppy play

plenewken
01-01-2012, 07:14 PM
First of all Happy New Year to all of you and your families.

Now, I'll give you an opportunity to flame me. This game was atrocious. One of the most boring games I've watched in a long time.
If this is an indication of the momentum the Steelers built going into the playoffs, I'm sorry to say that I'm very worried. I haven't seen any kind of offense. If it was not for the D, we could have lost against the Browns. And coaching was once again, very poor.
I cannot be optimistic knowing that the Steelers will go to Denver next week. I hope I'm wrong but from what I've seen, we could very well be a 1 and out team this year. I know that the Broncos are not a very good team but we are not a good team either.

harrison'samonster
01-01-2012, 07:16 PM
I'd have to think the play-calling on offense was just to get Roethlisberger ready for the playoffs. I think this was just a practice for them. It will turn out ok, but it's not going to be easy.

QCbeauBlak
01-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I agree. I wonder if Ben is gonna go all out next week or not. I know he is our guy, but if he is going to play like that, then I'd much rather have Charlie play (though that will never happen). I am trying not too get to upset because a lot of the blame goes to our offensive line. They all look out of shape and seem to play with no desire.

rich4eagle
01-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Now, I'll give you an opportunity to flame me. This game was atrocious. One of the most boring games I've watched in a long time.
If this is an indication of the momentum the Steelers built going into the playoffs, I'm sorry to say that I'm very worried. I haven't seen any kind of offense. If it was not for the D, we could have lost against the Browns. And coaching was once again, very poor.
I cannot be optimistic knowing that the Steelers will go to Denver next week. I hope I'm wrong but from what I've seen, we could very well be a 1 and out team this year. I know that the Broncos are not a very good team but we are not a good team either.

Well, going ultra conservative on Offense has been a multi year problem when ahead in the second half, which needs to be fixed.. Problem is the leaders er coaches are not going anywhere and unless it comes from the Rooneys on top that is not going to change unless a revelation occurs and they have the enlightenment that if you makie the game out of reach stuff is hard to happen

As far as sloppy, NO WAY, they played hard played conservative (loser philosophy unless greatly overmatched) and this time again they luckily won...................

let the real games begin and please do not allow Tebow any chance for a comeback, smother em every down on both sides of the ball, do you here me Tomlin:tt::tt::tt::tt:

steelersfan77
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I think the time is coming to concentrate on the building of a new offensive line. This organization needs to if they're going to prolong Ben's career. Take Pouncey and Gilbert and continue to build around them. I think that needs to be the first pick taken by the Steelers in the draft next year. There should and always be some good ones late in the first and second rounds. The guards aren't that good, Kemo, Foster and Essex.

I thought Essex took Kemo's spot?

rich4eagle
01-01-2012, 07:32 PM
I think the time is coming to concentrate on the building of a new offensive line. This organization needs to if they're going to prolong Ben's career. Take Pouncey and Gilbert and continue to build around them. I think that needs to be the first pick taken by the Steelers in the draft next year. There should and always be some good ones late in the first and second rounds. The guards aren't that good, Kemo, Foster and Essex.

I thought Essex took Kemo's spot?

Get off the offensive line crap unless you want to be like the Browns, spend all your money on the Oline and lose every year.................the OL is dime a dozen and it is proven and the Steeler Philosopy as is is a MASSIVE winner

so yu want to lose with an awesome OL that cannot block for slugs?????????????

that is what Cleveland has done for years:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

Boomer
01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I'd have to think the play-calling on offense was just to get Roethlisberger ready for the playoffs. I think this was just a practice for them. It will turn out ok, but it's not going to be easy.

Never thought of it this way. That makes sense. Getting Ben tuned up for the playoffs.

rich4eagle
01-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Ben did OK today and he is getting mobile again, but I was disappointed in the prevent you from winning offense the fourth Q

Ricco Suavez
01-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Ben was not spot on today, fumbles and a timely penalty or two was costly. But lets not forget the Browns play us harder than anyone. Its a divisional game and they want to beat us at all costs. We did ok last weekend against the Rams at home but they are no better than the Browns but look what they did today against one of their divisional opponents the 49ers. They gave them all they could handle.

Do not underestimate any divisional team esp. on their turf. Furthermore do not underestimate a good Bronco defense and a better than average running game which BTW is our Defenses weakest link this year.

55BaileyFan
01-01-2012, 07:42 PM
We can only hope that the play calling was to knock the rust off Ben. I will say it was good to see the run game rolling....I am not worried about Mendy, we still have Redman and Clay (who has been impressive)

We play Denver who has a good D and a shitty offense. As long as Ben takes advantage earlier and our D plays like they have the second half the season, we will be fine.

ETL
01-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm a little worried about Wallace. He does not look comfortable running over the middle and he is too preoccupied by who is going to hit him rather than looking back for the ball.

In this area, Antonio Brown is a better receiver.

Goldsteel86
01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Basic bottomline is, Ben did exctly what he played to do, manage the game and hand the ball off, now I don't know about anyone else but even at 60% (As he claims he is), I will take it. At the end of the day a win is a win and Ben is starting to heat up, he didn't have his best game, nor was it his worst, however, I believe Ben is really starting to heat up, just in time for the playoffs. Remember '05-'06, the road that got us there was playing on the road!!!!

cubanstogie
01-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Basic bottomline is, Ben did exctly what he played to do, manage the game and hand the ball off, now I don't know about anyone else but even at 60% (As he claims he is), I will take it. At the end of the day a win is a win and Ben is starting to heat up, he didn't have his best game, nor was it his worst, however, I believe Ben is really starting to heat up, just in time for the playoffs. Remember '05-'06, the road that got us there was playing on the road!!!!

considering Bens injuries I think he played great. If Ben doesn't turn it over next week Steelers win for sure. He was obviously not his usual self. He missed a few throws early and didn't take off running when he had a big open field. The fact that he played the whole game and didn't turn it over was impressive. With that said we will need more than that to beat the Turds and Patsies. Hard to imagine Tebow turning it around in a playoff game against the number 1 D.

steelfury02
01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
not the same Ben, not the same clock-control run game, not the same pass rush

no one respects our run game like they did back then (which is how we shocked everyoneby having Bencome out and sling it) and no one is intimidated by our defense anymore - this is not the group of guys capable of winning on the road all the ways to the SB

we aren't as healthy, we aren't as mentally focused, and we don't have the same killer mentality

I'd hate to say it - throw the tomatoes -but these guys are too fat and happy anymore - I don't see any hunger out of them - very flat

Now . . . if they have something up their sleeve - that is another thing

finesward
01-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Never thought of it this way. That makes sense. Getting Ben tuned up for the playoffs.

Yeah, those people on here screaming for ben to rest and it was so stupid for him to play today....they didn't think about it this way either. To all those who were crying and being sick with the fact that tomlin let ben play today I ask you this: Would you rather Ben and the offense shake the rust off and get some practice in today when the game didn't matter, or next week when it's win or go home? So is Tomlin still an idiot for playing Ben? Didn't think so... (btw I thought he moved around pretty good today and it's a good sign going into the playoffs. He's still not running for 1st downs but he was able to get out of the pocket some)

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Ben will show up in the playoffs, hopefully the wr's do too. As steelfury mentioned though, nobody is afraid of our pass rush (or lack there off), the defense still has a lot to prove after the 92 yard ratbird drive, and seemingly nobody is playing with heart. Todays performance was garbage and we need a LOT more from the offense to go past the second round, hell maybe even to go past the first.

ZoneBlitzer
01-02-2012, 02:36 AM
not the same Ben, not the same clock-control run game, not the same pass rush

no one respects our run game like they did back then (which is how we shocked everyoneby having Bencome out and sling it) and no one is intimidated by our defense anymore - this is not the group of guys capable of winning on the road all the ways to the SB

we aren't as healthy, we aren't as mentally focused, and we don't have the same killer mentality

I'd hate to say it - throw the tomatoes -but these guys are too fat and happy anymore - I don't see any hunger out of them - very flat

Now . . . if they have something up their sleeve - that is another thing

The only thing now that I hope for is that they have been playing possum all this time.

Rick5895
01-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Ben will show up in the playoffs, hopefully the wr's do too. As steelfury mentioned though, nobody is afraid of our pass rush (or lack there off), the defense still has a lot to prove after the 92 yard ratbird drive, and seemingly nobody is playing with heart. Todays performance was garbage and we need a LOT more from the offense to go past the second round, hell maybe even to go past the first.

Hopefully you are right about the O, I am sure they will be fine. But how serious are the injuries to Lewis and C.Alen. Those affect our depth at DB and could really affect us against NE (if we should play them) .
No way I see a loss to the Broncos.

steelersfan77
01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Get off the offensive line crap unless you want to be like the Browns, spend all your money on the Oline and lose every year.................the OL is dime a dozen and it is proven and the Steeler Philosopy as is is a MASSIVE winner

so yu want to lose with an awesome OL that cannot block for slugs?????????????

that is what Cleveland has done for years:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

You're f'n crazy. You can't sustain long success in the AFC north with a line like this. Ben is going to have 5 years cut from his career because of this Oline. Not to mention after Ben you're going to have to be able to run the ball to be successful. You're not getting it. This offensive line is garbage. Rarely is there a hole open for the running backs and makes them have to improvise and for the most part Ben is running for his life. Take it for what it's worth you fool. The offensive line is the weakest part of the team. Maybe not the oldest, but certaintly the weakest. Kemo, Legursky, Essex and Foster are below average. That's over half of the offensive line. The game is one and lost in the trenches.

theplatypus
01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
We play Denver who has a good D and a shitty offense. As long as Ben takes advantage earlier and our D plays like they have the second half the season, we will be fine.

YOu do realize that the broncos defense is like 20th in the league right?

Pentheon
01-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I really wish they would have sat him, I think batch wouldve done fine. We took way to much of a risk playing ben and I could imagine that it isn't gonna make his sprain any better hopping around on the field instead of relaxing.

Well from my experience atleast

plenewken
01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
YOu do realize that the broncos defense is like 20th in the league right?

The Steelers Offense is ranked 21st in points scored. Your point is?

Sixburgher
01-02-2012, 01:23 PM
You're f'n crazy. You can't sustain long success in the AFC north with a line like this. Ben is going to have 5 years cut from his career because of this Oline. Not to mention after Ben you're going to have to be able to run the ball to be successful. You're not getting it. This offensive line is garbage. Rarely is there a hole open for the running backs and makes them have to improvise and for the most part Ben is running for his life. Take it for what it's worth you fool. The offensive line is the weakest part of the team. Maybe not the oldest, but certaintly the weakest. Kemo, Legursky, Essex and Foster are below average. That's over half of the offensive line. The game is one and lost in the trenches.

No argument here. Outside of Pouncey and maybe Gilbert (who I think the jury is still very much out on), there's a whole lot of worthlessness on the Steelers offensive front. It's amazing to me how successful the Steelers have been with an offensive line that has been as consistently bad as this one has been.

harrison'samonster
01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
No argument here. Outside of Pouncey and maybe Gilbert (who I think the jury is still very much out on), there's a whole lot of worthlessness on the Steelers offensive front. It's amazing to me how successful the Steelers have been with an offensive line that has been as consistently bad as this one has been.

our o-line is pretty bad, between their poor play and the Steelers problems with turnovers (giving away and taking away), I am amazed that they play well enough to win consistently.

Hopefully they'll be peaking at the right time of the season. If that's the case, then there is no team that is better than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

theplatypus
01-02-2012, 01:34 PM
The Steelers Offense is ranked 21st in points scored. Your point is?

The point is the broncos defense isn't anywhere near as great as some of you are making it out to be. The Broncos defense is in the bottom 3rd of the league and that's against the offenses of the Vikings,Jets,Bears,Chiefs. Our offense might be 21st in the league in points scored, however, we played 11 of our 16 games against the top 10 defenses in the league.

harrison'samonster
01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
The point is the broncos defense isn't anywhere near as great as some of you are making it out to be. The Broncos defense is in the bottom 3rd of the league and that's against the offenses of the Vikings,Jets,Bears,Chiefs. Our offense might be 21st in the league in points scored, however, we played 11 of our 16 games against the top 10 defenses in the league.

we seriously played that many top 10 defenses? wow.

I still think you've got to look out for Dumervill, Von Miller, Bailey, and Dawkins (I'm drawing a blank on that last name, is that right?). These are some dangerous players who can keep their team in the game.

theplatypus
01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
we seriously played that many top 10 defenses? wow.

I still think you've got to look out for Dumervill, Von Miller, Bailey, and Dawkins (I'm drawing a blank on that last name, is that right?). These are some dangerous players who can keep their team in the game.

Yes.
It doesn't look so bleak when you put things in perspective does it?

No doubt Elvis,Miller,Bailey, and Dawkins are good if not great players, but so are Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Miller, Redman, Ward, Cotchery, and BB. Don't get me wrong I'm not declaring us victors by any stretch, but we're playing a one dimensional team with a BELOW AVERAGE DEFENSE.

steelbad@50
01-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Things could be worse my fellow fans, we all could be Jets fans. Talk about a team in disaray. Coaches crying, players turning on each other, players giving the media the finger............. thank God I am a Steeler fan.:tt04:

Danny136200
01-02-2012, 01:53 PM

It was a meaningless game, the offense moved the ball pretty well in the first half but fell short on some drives and we also missed a FG in the first. The running game has gained some momentum with some strong showings, but the loss of mendenhall can hurt us with the depth back there. I think that we will fine against the Broncos (seriously, name one receiver that this secondary should be worried about) We are an elite team; we have not played like one offensively the past few weeks, but I do think Ben and the offense will get it going come playoff time. The defense, what they have been doing these past few weeks, reminds me of that stretch back in '08 where the offense was not producing but the defense just kept them in games constantly. This defense has been amazing these past 6 games, only once have they allowed more than 10 points, which is amazing to me. And throughout the season, only the Ravens have put up more than 20 points on us.

We are an elite team with an awesome defense.

Kanata-Steeler
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Things could be worse my fellow fans, we all could be Jets fans. Talk about a team in disaray. Coaches crying, players turning on each other, players giving the media the finger............. thank God I am a Steeler fan.:tt04:

No doubt, especially when the Jerks' have to watch yet another NO-GO jets TV commercial that begs Ryan to close his whale-like MOUTH !!! :blah: -when they ain't even goin' anywhere, anyway, yet again.
but ya, our Offense did suck yesterday. Sloppy was an understatement, we have to pull this anchor up and just sail boys.

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
I didn't realize we played that many top defenses. That definitely factors in in our lack of offense. There's still no excuse for the poor offense we've had, pretty much since the pats game. I thought Denver's D was a lot better, they definitely look better in the games I've seen.

As for the offensive line talk, Pouncey is great and will be for a long time, Gilbert isn't up to Pouncey's level but can/will get there, but don't discredit Max Starks. Remember the difference just getting him back made? The last game against Baltimore he completely handled Suggs, you can't ask for more then that. IMO we just need guards. I think Foster and Legursky are good backups, Kemo needs to go, so if we can at least get one really good guard that can play NOW, not a draft pick, then our O line would be pretty good.