PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall out

Raw Steel
01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
per Peter King on NBC. Ike better hold onto the ball.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I also just heard that. To be honest, and it sounds crazy to say this about losing our starting running back, but I think we're better off with Redman. Issac is incredibly difficult to tackle, he fights for every yard and he grinds it out play after play in the fashion of a true Steeler running back. Mendenhall is having a subpar season, as has been said over and over again he refuses to stop dancing around and just bulldoze people, and on an unrelated note he was personally tainted in my eyes after that tweet this summer. I spent much of today's game saying to the person that I was with that I don't understand why Redman wouldn't start over Mendy regardless of injuries. The fumbling bug is troubling, but I would still rather have Redman over Mendy.

Does anyone know if Mewelde is supposed to be healthy for next week?

rich4eagle
01-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I also just heard that. To be honest, and it sounds crazy to say this about losing our starting running back, but I think we're better off with Redman. Issac is incredibly difficult to tackle, he fights for every yard and he grinds it out play after play in the fashion of a true Steeler running back. Mendenhall is having a subpar season, as has been said over and over again he refuses to stop dancing around and just bulldoze people, and on an unrelated note he was personally tainted in my eyes after that tweet this summer. I spent much of today's game saying to the person that I was with that I don't understand why Redman wouldn't start over Mendy regardless of injuries. The fumbling bug is troubling, but I would still rather have Redman over Mendy.

Does anyone know if Mewelde is supposed to be healthy for next week?

I like Redman and to me he is a better back than Mendenhall, todays fumbles were a happening, the last when he had two hands on the ball, meanwhile Mendenhall often has the ball dancing a two feet from his body..................

Give Isaac a chance he can play and can reward us:tt04:

ricardisimo
01-01-2012, 08:30 PM
... and Redman fumbles the ball, which makes our games more interesting. So we've got that going for us... which is nice.

I'm never going to win this debate with you guys, but whoever the starting RB is in Arians' system is always going to be subpar. I disagree vehemently with Ed B. from the PG; I think Mendenhall has had a great year considering the offensive gameplan and the line in front of him.

We are not better without him in the lineup.

ricardisimo
01-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I like Redman and to me he is a better back than Mendenhall, todays fumbles were a happening, the last when he had two hands on the ball, meanwhile Mendenhall often has the ball dancing a two feet from his body..................

Mendenhall is not a fumbler. You can call him a dancer if you want, but not fumbler. Check out his stats. He's more sure-handed than Bettis, Faulk or Curtis Martin thus far, which is really saying something.

Ricco Suavez
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
... and Redman fumbles the ball, which makes our games more interesting. So we've got that going for us... which is nice.

I'm never going to win this debate with you guys, but whoever the starting RB is in Arians' system is always going to be subpar. I disagree vehemently with Ed B. from the PG; I think Mendenhall has had a great year considering the offensive gameplan and the line in front of him.

We are not better without him in the lineup.

Considering the line is not one of the most physical up front and Mendy seems to dance to much,and he rarely had a lead blocker he did well. Redman does fight but that also means he is being molested by defenders trying for the strip, leading to possible fumbles.

Corey_J
01-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Mendenhall out hurts more than we all want to admit....If you like a guy who cant hit the homerun, fumbles and lacks explosiveness then Redman is your guy........He can shed would be tacklers , I get that, but then what ? I like what Clay could offer being as im from Madison wi and watched every game he played in here and hes a load to get down and can hit the homerun ! Any which way, Mendy out is NOT a good thing.

Bayz101
01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Mendenhall is not a fumbler. You can call him a dancer if you want, but not fumbler. Check out his stats. He's more sure-handed than Bettis, Faulk or Curtis Martin thus far, which is really saying something.

Mendenhall fumbled a lot in his first starts, actually. Remember, he had to pay up every time he fumbled :chuckle:

That was Redman's second time leading the rushing game for a significant period of time, and he fumbled twice. It happens to the young guys a lot, just as Mendy couldn't hold on to the ball in his first years.

DanRooney
01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Pretty much gets rid of any big play potential in the run game, but Mendenhall hasn't really broke off too many anyway. Redman usually always moves forward, which is exactly what we need with a gimpy quarterback.

tanda10506
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Redman rarely fumbles and behind this line he is more effecient. I like the way Clay runs too, head down and towards the endzone. We will be okay at RB, as mentioned, no running back would shine with Arians and/or this o line.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Mendenhall does have burst superior to Redman, but I've yet to see him break a home run this year. In terms of the fumbling issue, while Mendenhall is not a chronic fumbler, let's not forget that his fumble in the SUPER BOWL last year was one of, if not the biggest reason we lost that game. So he's by no means impervious to coughing it up.

Bayz101
01-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I do recall Redman scoring a touchdown today and catching a VERY important touchdown catch in last years playoffs.

ricardisimo
01-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Mendenhall fumbled a lot in his first starts, actually. Remember, he had to pay up every time he fumbled :chuckle:

That was Redman's second time leading the rushing game for a significant period of time, and he fumbled twice. It happens to the young guys a lot, just as Mendy couldn't hold on to the ball in his first years.
Those were pre-season games, as I recall. Mendenhall has had almost 900 touches and he's fumbled 6 times. That's nothing short of miraculous. The Super Bowl was unfortunate, but maybe just fluky, too. Bettis nearly lost us a big game with a goal-line fumble against Indy one year, but nobody calls him a fumbler.

cubanstogie
01-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Redman as a starter is like asking Mariano Rivera to pitch a complete game. IMO he is a relief pitcher type RB. He spells Mendy well, different type of back. I do think he can have a great game or 2 but over a full season he is not a number 1 back. Lets hope Bens ankle gets a lot better because we will be throwing 40 times a game to beat the Broncos or Ravens. I do think Redman could have a big game against the Patriots. He is one of the better 2nd string backs though, now he gets his chance.

Corey_J
01-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Mendenhall does have burst superior to Redman, but I've yet to see him break a home run this year. In terms of the fumbling issue, while Mendenhall is not a chronic fumbler, let's not forget that his fumble in the SUPER BOWL last year was one of, if not the biggest reason we lost that game. So he's by no means impervious to coughing it up.
Our inability to rush the passer and cover receivers were the main reason we lost last year in the SB. Not to mention the pick 6 given to the packers.....:blah:

Bayz101
01-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Those were pre-season games, as I recall. Mendenhall has had almost 900 touches and he's fumbled 6 times. That's nothing short of miraculous. The Super Bowl was unfortunate, but maybe just fluky, too. Bettis nearly lost us a big game with a goal-line fumble against Indy one year, but nobody calls him a fumbler.

Actually, everyone in Pittsburgh was calling him a fumbler for almost an entire year. Even Bouchette did an article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08240/907375-367.stm

He's not a fumbler now, but he WAS in his earlier days. Young players will turn the ball over and make mistakes when their first called up, but it's never a permanent thing. Redman may be a two-year player, but what you saw today was his second time essentially leading the running game, and he made some rookie mistakes.

As for Mendenhall fumbling in the pre-season. I'm pretty sure a lot of them we're regular season, not pre-season. And i'm even more sure that most of his fumbles came on national t.v. against division opponents. Fumbling happens with new guys, and it's just a phase.

Bayz101
01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I didn't call Mendenhall a fumbler when everyone else was in 2008, and i'm not calling Redman a fumbler now. It's just a phase, and experience will kick in soon.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Our inability to rush the passer and cover receivers were the main reason we lost last year in the SB. Not to mention the pick 6 given to the packers.....:blah:

Agreed that our secondary was also very culpable for our loss to the Packers. That's why I said one of the reasons. But also, if you recall we had a ton of momentum scoring before the half, scoring again right out of the second half and then having the ball back down 21-17 following 14 unanswered points, I wholeheartedly believe that had we scored on that drive we would have won the game.

mikegrimey
01-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I do recall Redman scoring a touchdown today and catching a VERY important touchdown catch in last years playoffs.

You're recalling incorrectly because Redman didn't have any TDs in last years 3 playoff games. Mendenhall however, had 4 rushing TDs in the 3 games.

steelerchad
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
It only takes one fumble and you could be done in the playoffs. Mendy had a great season last year only coughing up 2 fumbles all season. But the one he gave up in the SB probably cost us a championship. He's had a below avg. season, but we are not better without him. That being said, I think in today's NFL RB is one of the more easily replaceable positions. Most teams have stables of backs and this is what we should have going forward. Each healthy back getting 7-10 carries and a healthy Ben slinging it all over the field just like Arians likes.

cubanstogie
01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
It only takes one fumble and you could be done in the playoffs. Mendy had a great season last year only coughing up 2 fumbles all season. But the one he gave up in the SB probably cost us a championship. He's had a below avg. season, but we are not better without him. That being said, I think in today's NFL RB is one of the more easily replaceable positions. Most teams have stables of backs and this is what we should have going forward. Each healthy back getting 7-10 carries and a healthy Ben slinging it all over the field just like Arians likes.

its not a nail in the coffin like it would be if Ray Rice were gone thats for sure. Redman is more than capable but I think guys who doubt Mendy due to not hitting hole quick enough or trying to make too many moves have it wrong. I could be the wrong one but its like Ben holding the ball too long, they are both trying to make something out of nothing. A lot of times there is just no hole. Redman would be my choice for short yardage though.

OX1947
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Steelers have some options this off season with running backs. I love Redman but he is a perfect back up RB. Steelers need a legit one who can also catch out the backfield. Michael Bush and Ben Tate will be available this off season, they would be perfect for this offense. I think Mendy is as talented as they come, but there is an extra gear missing mentally with him.

jjpro11
01-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Steelers have some options this off season with running backs. I love Redman but he is a perfect back up RB. Steelers need a legit one who can also catch out the backfield. Michael Bush and Ben Tate will be available this off season, they would be perfect for this offense. I think Mendy is as talented as they come, but there is an extra gear missing mentally with him.

i'd rather save the money and stick with drafting a RB.

AgentGold007
01-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Anyone know the status of Mewelde Moore?

FanSince72
01-02-2012, 12:16 AM
I think Redman will be fine.

We also have Moore, Dwyer and Clay.

cubanstogie
01-02-2012, 12:21 AM
I think Redman will be fine.

We also have Moore, Dwyer and Clay.

I thought Dwyer was done for year

SteelCurtain5643
01-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I thought Dwyer was done for year

You are correct, hes on IR. We have Moore if hes even healthy enough to play and then Clay behind Redman

harts
01-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Mendy is gone - I just saw that highlight and he is done.
Ben can get it done he just has to do what he did in 08

jjpro11
01-02-2012, 01:02 AM
i didn't think it was that serious the way he was walking after the injury.. normally when guys tear their ACL they need carried or carted off the field, although i do remember Hampton walking off on his own power in 2004. it looked like Mendenhall was trying to test it on the sideline to go back in. i figured MCL sprain or something similar.

saveus1011
01-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Well, for better or for worse, I got what I wanted - no Mendenhall.

Sorry guys. Bastard blew his chances with me after that fumble in February. Cost us number seven.

steeltheone
01-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Mendenhall is not a fumbler. You can call him a dancer if you want, but not fumbler. Check out his stats. He's more sure-handed than Bettis, Faulk or Curtis Martin thus far, which is really saying something.you are right, he is not. When it does happen seems to be the problem...Lol

bornaSteelersfan
01-02-2012, 02:31 AM

Sorry guys. Bastard blew his chances with me after that fumble in February. Cost us number seven.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Mendy. I have watched that replay countless times and he had no hope. Both his "blockers" missed their assignment causing him to get sandwiched. I also feel if he had the chance to make a play like that in a big game again, there is no way he would drop it. He will be missed in the post-season.

steelfury02
01-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Mendy's fumble was more of a blown up play than a ball security issue - great teams force those plays and GB had a few game altering plays that won them the trophy

Just ask Kurt Warner what that feels like - we did it against them in XLIII - just sucks to be on the receiving end of it lol

I am concerned about not having Mendy - but if you ask me does it doom us - no. We haven't had a home run hitter at RB since Fast Willie in his prime - Mendy's biggest home run moment was the season opener v. Falcons last season - rushing TD in OT - that's about it.

You are all right about the Arians system - its not about relying on a RB - and conventional thinking says it would be about using that threat to set up the pass - but the way we choose to bang our heads up against the wall with the same running play 3 or 4 times in a row doesn't ever set up anything for us - the offense has never lived up to its potential - and yes, you can partially blame Arians philosophy - or lack there of. Plus - the other guys get paid too. Do you want video game offense with a god awful defense? That's what is happening with teams with Great O's - they don't have both. We're fortunate to be where we are at because of the defense - otherwise we'd be a 8-8 team.

Lastly - if you told me Brown was out - then I'd be saying no way in heck we do anything. We still got a shot - but a hard one at that

Whodis
01-02-2012, 08:28 AM

I made it no secret my feelings on Mendenhalls dancing and spinning. I hope Issac has all the fumbles out of his system. Turnovers are usually not forgiven in the playoffs.

Whodis
01-02-2012, 08:31 AM

Your right on.. this stat was posted after the Harrison interview. I do call him a dancer and agree with your comments about any running back in a Arians system.

FanSince72
01-02-2012, 08:39 AM

Well, I didn't necessarily want him gone altogether, but I actually like Redman better and have for quite a while. Not because of Mendy's fumble or any particular thing, but because I just think that Redman is a better runner coming through the gaps. Mendy is a better runner in the open field, but Redman has (in my opinion) a better sense of where he is and where he wants to go as he hits the line.

I think that if we work with him and Clay, we'd not only be OK but actually in better shape overall.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2012, 09:38 AM
IF Redman would just go down when you have 5 guys on you he would be perfect. 2 fumbles is not acceptable, as he quickly found out. With the teams we will be playing, hopefully the running game isnt going to help. Pats, Packers, Saints, even the Ravens, could all be shoot outs. Gonna be passing.

Redman's running style of blasting and spinning through the hole is Steelers running. Mendy stutters constantly letting the hole close, plus I never been a fan of him anyway. I rather have Redman. I also rather draft a back mid rounds to replace Mendy, like Ganty from Baylor, a big power back. We can save 3mill. If we plug the Oline holes any back on this team can run o ver 1k a year.

rocckbottomxmen
01-02-2012, 10:21 AM
i'd rather save the money and stick with drafting a RB.

Don't forget we will have Baron Batch next year

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Don't forget we will have Baron Batch next year
You people talk like Mendenhall's gone already. He signed a five-year deal which expires in 2013. He's our starting running back for at least another year. And while I would love to fantasize about our youngsters, I think we should curb our enthusiasm for Batch until he actually does something.

Bayz101
01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
You're recalling incorrectly because Redman didn't have any TDs in last years 3 playoff games. Mendenhall however, had 4 rushing TDs in the 3 games.

Nope, he caught a touchdown pass against the Ravens to win it. Not what I thought, but clutch nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OE6pfY8NY

mikegrimey
01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Nope, he caught a touchdown pass against the Ravens to win it. Not what I thought, but clutch nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OE6pfY8NY

Everything I said was correct
You're wrong
That TD catch was in the regular season, redman scored 0 TDs in 3 playoff games, Mendenhall scored the game winner against the ravens in the playoffs

ricardisimo
01-03-2012, 01:44 AM
He's right. Mendenhall had two in the playoffs against the Ravens, one against the Jets and one against the Pack. Redman zero.

Bayz101
01-03-2012, 03:12 AM
Everything I said was correct
You're wrong
That TD catch was in the regular season, redman scored 0 TDs in 3 playoff games, Mendenhall scored the game winner against the ravens in the playoffs

No I realize that it wasn't a playoff game, I meant to say that. It was a game winning catch against the Ravens, but it was regular season.

Bayz101
01-03-2012, 03:14 AM
He's right. Mendenhall had two in the playoffs against the Ravens, one against the Jets and one against the Pack. Redman zero.

Yeah, I originally said Redman had caught a touchdown pass for the win in the playoffs, but it was actually against the Ratbirds in the regular season. In my head divisional games are regular season playoffs so I got mixed up. Forgot to acknowledge that in the reply.

big pig
01-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Mendy is a great back, there are times I would like to see him go straight forward, and not try to spin but there are alot of times those spins get hime a few extra yards when you need them. With this o line we otta be glad he has the yards he has, mix and match rag tag line, witch I tipp my hat to for those guys moving all over the place and for the most part getting the job done. We don't need running backs we need to get younger on d, and get the o line back together .

Steeldude
01-05-2012, 02:33 PM
i am fine with redman. i have never really been impressed with mendenhall.