PDA

View Full Version : thoughts heading into the playoffs?

jjpro11
01-01-2012, 07:29 PM
i have to admit.. i am not too excited about our chances.. it kind of reminds me of 2007 to an extent.. injuries ended up taking a toll on us and we lost to the Jaguars in round one. the injuries are mounting again and i don't think we really have much momentum. we have a gimpy Ben, no Mendenhall, probably no Moore, Woodley's hamstring will continue to be a problem, pretty much our entire o-line is playing hurt... and we have to win in Denver, Baltimore, and Foxborough.

frunko1
01-01-2012, 07:32 PM
This reminds me of 05, Ben coming off an injury, key player ready to retire with upcoming star stepping in. And having a very hard schedule on the road. No team is a pushover, and if the steelers get in the superbowl this year, it will be well deserved.

jjpro11
01-01-2012, 07:33 PM
This reminds me of 05, Ben coming off an injury, key player ready to retire with upcoming star stepping in. And having a very hard schedule on the road. No team is a pushover, and if the steelers get in the superbowl this year, it will be well deserved.

we were red hot heading into the playoffs.. i don't see that this time.

Boomer
01-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Hopefully our worst football is behind us. This team needs to rally around Hines like they did Jerome and play to get Hines back to the big game.

Ricco Suavez
01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
we were red hot heading into the playoffs.. i don't see that this time.

You right about that I believe we were 6-5 and finished the season 11-5 and swept through the playoffs and SuperBowl. BTW Bens detractors like to point out his sub par SuperBowl but always fail to mention his Stellar Post season up to the Superbowl. That Post season he completed 68% of his passes and had 7 tds to only 1 int.

TRH
01-01-2012, 07:56 PM
2 things.
One, we have to start SCORING on offense...especially in the red zone. Field goals (or FG attempts since we have Suisham) are NOT going to cut it. We've been beyond pathetic on offense and have to start getting it in there.
And two, defenders have to start catching interceptions. Not "he almost had an interception there". Not to mention stripping fumbles. Seems like we don't even try to do that anymore.

Jazzo
01-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Although we haven't looked our best lately, I think we'll win in Denver. With that said, we'll have to get our act together and figure this thing out! I want another shot at the ratbirds, because it would be a beautiful thing to slap them out of the playoffs again!!!

LayingTheWoodley56
01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Brief correction Ricco Suarez: we were 7-5, not 6-5 in 2005.

In terms of this years playoffs, and since you asked for thoughts: we have our problems, but so does everyone else. We are banged up, yes, but I have faith that Ben can get healthy in time for the matchup that really matters, which is in two weeks after we dust off the Broncos. Given the off year that Mendenhall has been having, and IMO how much better Redman looks running behind the same O line, there is not only not a drop-off but possibly an upgrade there. Our line is questionable, but it was also questionable when we won in 2008. The Patriots defense is awful. The Ravens offense is questionable. The other three teams really pose no threat to us. In today's NFL, anything can happen and no one else in the league is a sure thing. For the first time in a while, the NFC is actually the superior conference with NO and GB, but we won't have to worry about that unless we get there. As the old cliche goes, we just have to take it one game at a time, and we have a shot.

DanRooney
01-01-2012, 08:06 PM
My thought after watching tonight's game: thank God we're playing Denver.

pitt0wns
01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Arians can't call plays in the red zone.

I don't like the way our offense is playing now, we have nothing going for us. I think we are better off being a 5th seed and having a warm up game against a toilet bowl team like Denver. It should get us ready for the divisional round.

BAL or PIT representing the AFC this year in the bowl.

steelfury02
01-01-2012, 08:54 PM
ditto - we are mediocre at best on the road - thank goodness it is @ Denver - but as I've stated before - the offense will do its best to make it close - because you know at the very least - we can't score very often in the red zone on the road

Very terrible at taking the crowd out of it and taking the home team's first punch/riding out the initial wave of emotion - this team tends to keep it close to the very end, unless it is against an inferior team at home - but you don't have to think about that this sesaon

TRH
01-01-2012, 09:11 PM
i keep hearing about how great it is we're playing Denver, as if we've already won the game. We barely beat the lowly Browns today. I think we'll win.....but we can easily go in there and lose it, the way our offense has been playing.

saveus1011
01-01-2012, 09:28 PM
"We're fine. You got nothing to worry about."

Um, it's the postseason. Every reason to worry.

steelfury02
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
yea - and honestly - how exactly does the XL run have any bearing on this team's road capabilities?

I've been first to state that anything is possible - just refuse to put the blinders on

For god's sake a lot of people take it so personal after one whiff of pessimism / realism hits a thread - I hope I'm wrong about a lot of things this season - but after the home loss to Balty - the writing has been on the wall