PDA

View Full Version : Humor Me -- What 2nd-Round Match-Up Do You Want?

RowHH
01-01-2012, 09:38 PM
We all know it's an any-given-weekend league ... Mendy is out ... Ben's injury could worsen ... Tebow could be touched by a wand again, etc.

But since one of Cincy-Houston *has* to win, which of those teams will you pull for? If the Bengals win, that would send the Steelers to Baltimore the following week. If the Texans win, it would mean Steelers at Patriots.

I want Steelers-Ratbirds in the second round, knowing full well Baltimore may complete the three-game sweep.

(No replies about bad luck or jinxes, please. If the Steelers can't beat this Broncos team, I say good riddance to the season.)

NoFieldFive
01-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I'd take us in NE. Knowing our calls we'd run too many empty set backfields against the Ravens'. Suggs and others may have a field day back there.

cubanstogie
01-01-2012, 09:59 PM
I would rather go to NE first. Ratbirds are more physical and Ben and Pouncey could use some extra time to mend.

frunko1
01-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Steelers @ Pats for AFC championship game just seems right. So baltimore if we beat Broncos

Bayz101
01-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I would rather go to NE first. Ratbirds are more physical and Ben and Pouncey could use some extra time to mend.

We'll have a full week of rest this week, our WildCard game is Sunday.

steelerchad
01-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I'll be rooting for the Bengals. Reason is that I don't believe the Texans can beat the Ravens with the injuries they have, especially if Delhomme has to play QB. The Bengals could beat the Texans and then I'd give them a shot at taking out the Pats as their defense is absolutely horrible. We will need to take care of the Broncos and then the Ravens ourselves. This scenario is the only way we could host the AFCC game, so that's what I'm hoping for. Steelers/Bengals at Heinz.

steelfury02
01-01-2012, 10:16 PM
The Broncos are dying for a home playoff game - do you really think their run game and defense won't challenge us? Yea - focus on Tebow all you want and take it lightly all you want - but what makes you think we will win so easily to the point where you are bringing up a game that might not even happen 2 weeks from now?

The Steelers are a "Wild Card" team for a reason - never know what to expect

If the Steelers live up to their potential this year - we'll come out flat/unprepared and inept in the red zone and barely escape or lose

Calm down with the divisional round talk already - don't tell me about playing a divisional opponent - if this year's team was capable of anything - they would have come away with 7 instead of 1 TD, Field goals, punts, repeat.

Better teams do more than this - just accept it already. If we win great, but why are we even discussing this?

cubanstogie
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
The Broncos are dying for a home playoff game - do you really think their run game and defense won't challenge us? Yea - focus on Tebow all you want and take it lightly all you want - but what makes you think we will win so easily to the point where you are bringing up a game that might not even happen 2 weeks from now?

If the Steelers live up to their potential this year - we'll come out flat/unprepared and inept in the red zone and barely escape or lose

Calm down with the divisional round talk already - don't tell me about playing a divisional opponent - if this year's team was capable of anything - they would have come away with 7 instead of 1 TD, Field goals, punts, repeat.

Better teams do more than this - just accept it already. If we win great, but why are we even discussing this?

because thats what you do on football forums. Talk football. Its not like the players are looking past the game. Fans opinions have no outcomes, so if they guy wants to ask the question whats the big deal.

steelfury02
01-01-2012, 10:26 PM
sorry - didn't realize you two were an item lol

relax - after all - this is what happens on forums too

cubanstogie
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
sorry - didn't realize you two were an item lol

relax - after all - this is what happens on forums too

in all fairness he did preface his post with humor me so I felt compelled to stick up for him.

steelfury02
01-01-2012, 10:38 PM
just exhausted from all the what ifs / could have been with this team

I've already played the hopeful / revenge minded Steeler fan this year - however, we are just to inept for me to worry about anything anymore past our own damn offense - they are pathetic. Don't tell me injuries - we've overcome a horrific o-line before and the Packers just proved you can over come even more than that

OX1947
01-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Steelers will destroy Tebow and the Denver offense. Unfortunately, the Steelers have too many major injuries in key spots. I am hoping for the best, but if the Steelers are to win the Super Bowl, they are likely going to have to beat the Pats, Ravens and Packers or Saints. I cant see that happening with a one legged Big Ben and one half of your pass rush bookends out.

If I was a betting man, I would say, Steelers have a shot at making it to the AFC title game and then run out of gas....

PhantomJB93
01-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Not sure if Id rather face Baltimore coming off a bye week when we have momentum and they might be rusty, or face them in the AFCC when Ben and Woodley are hopefully back to 100%

It feels weird to say this but I definitely have more "confidence" we can beat the Patriots.

skaaat
01-02-2012, 12:04 AM

Wow I had to register just to respond to this post.

Why do you have to be so negative? Don't get me wrong, I am a realist also, but the overall tone of your message just seems to be so negative.

Do you remember in 2005 when we were the #6 seed and ran through everyone on our way to the Super Bowl? We played some pretty crappy games that regular season as well.

This is a good time to be reminded of this:
http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20060123pd_fan_believe_fbnPJ_450.jpg

BlaZeQuietly
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
I still say 2011 steelers are better than 2010 steelers

LVSteelersfan
01-02-2012, 12:53 AM
IF everyone is fairly healthy next week Teblow is going to get his butt kicked all over the place. Denver is going to be one dimensional on offense and they will have to have their defense win the game for them. I don't think they have enough guns to beat us. As long as Ben stays away from that one stupid interception he seems to throw every game.

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 02:32 AM
I still say 2011 steelers are better than 2010 steelers

They are definetly more capable, I just don't feel like the heart/intensity is there this year like last. This offense is to inconsistant. Last year we knew they would be below avg every game and the D made up for it. This year the D doesn't make up for it and we can have either the best or worst offense in football on any week. The offense that beat NE earlier this year can beat anybody, the offense that played today probably wouldnt beat Denver. I havent seen such inconsistancy from a Steeler team.

skaaat
01-02-2012, 02:59 AM
They are definetly more capable, I just don't feel like the heart/intensity is there this year like last. This offense is to inconsistant. Last year we knew they would be below avg every game and the D made up for it. This year the D doesn't make up for it and we can have either the best or worst offense in football on any week. The offense that beat NE earlier this year can beat anybody, the offense that played today probably wouldnt beat Denver. I havent seen such inconsistancy from a Steeler team.

The #1 ranked defense in the league doesn't make up for it? Defense wins football games, especially in the playoffs.

Bayz101
01-02-2012, 03:51 AM

Why do you have to be so negative? Don't get me wrong, I am a realist also, but the overall tone of your message just seems to be so negative.

Do you remember in 2005 when we were the #6 seed and ran through everyone on our way to the Super Bowl? We played some pretty crappy games that regular season as well.

It's in the nature of plenty of posters around here. If they aren't talking, we must be winning.

steelfury02
01-02-2012, 07:17 AM
hey - its a place to rant - there are only so many times I can yell at the TV screen during the course of the game - so I take it out on here

I'm glad I got someone to register - welcome to Thunderdome lol

kirklandrules
01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
If the 8-8 Broncos beat the 12-4 Steelers, then I'm doubling down on my donations to the collection plate at church!

4xSBChamps
01-02-2012, 08:18 AM
If the 8-8 Broncos beat the 12-4 Steelers, then I'm doubling down on my donations to the collection plate at church!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/TimTebowkneeling-downonsideline.jpg

cerealy, if Pittsburgh loses to a team, with a QB who went 6 of 22 for 60 yards, in what was essentially a 'must-win' game, then the Steelers don't deserve to be playing football on the 2nd weekend of January

Eztarget
01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Basically next week comes down to Dick Lebeau vs God's chosen one.

Bill Cowher's Jaw
01-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm not humoring ya. Let's beat Denver first before we worry about anything else. Should it happen? Of course...we're better. Will it happen? Who knows? Anything can happen.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm not humoring ya. Let's beat Denver first before we worry about anything else. Should it happen? Of course...we're better. Will it happen? Who knows? Anything can happen.

4real anything can happen..no one should ever say that the Steelers are going to smash Denver are any team cause anything can happen and everyone needs to think about that Denver has one of the best past rush defecne with Von miller and Dumervil they could create turnovers if that dont stop them so think about stuff like that before saying we will smash them..even tho i think the steelers will win but im not saying anything cause anything can happen.

Pentheon
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
2nd round matchup? Obviously I want us to go into baltimore and beat that ass...who wouldnt.

Im hoping the bengals beat the texans and then the patriots so they can come here and us steelers fans get to go watch our team win the afc championship at home 2 years in a row :)

harrison'samonster
01-02-2012, 02:20 PM
2nd round matchup? Obviously I want us to go into baltimore and beat that ass...who wouldnt.

Im hoping the bengals beat the texans and then the patriots so they can come here and us steelers fans get to go watch our team win the afc championship at home 2 years in a row :)

that would be out of this world! That would make this the best season ever.

zsheik22
01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Tom Brady, Gronkowski, Welker, and Hernandez with 2 guys out from our secondary? No Mendy to keep them off the field?

Ouch. I'll take Baltimore. Not even close in my opinion.

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Tom Brady, Gronkowski, Welker, and Hernandez with 2 guys out from our secondary? No Mendy to keep them off the field?

Ouch. I'll take Baltimore. Not even close in my opinion.

I agree. I wanted NE first, but now hearing about Lewis I rather play Baltimore. We can do it! Brady will cut us up with Lewis out and McFadden at Nickle, but their defense is still bad enough that if Ben plays great we will still win. I like the Bengals chance of winning, I'll take Baltimore first.

Yehoodi
01-02-2012, 10:23 PM
true as some have said it nice to win the game first . . . but is it always fun as a fan to look down the road and see who you would like to play . . .

i think if i were a steelers fan, i would lead towards wanting the ravens in the 2nd round, you guys match up well against the ravens and have had their number . . . also, there is always the "it is tough to beat a team three times in a year" thingie going in your favor . . .

perhaps too i rather have my pats play cincy in the second round than pitt . . .

ggoldman
01-02-2012, 11:10 PM
true as some have said it nice to win the game first . . . but is it always fun as a fan to look down the road and see who you would like to play . . .

i think if i were a steelers fan, i would lead towards wanting the ravens in the 2nd round, you guys match up well against the ravens and have had their number . . . also, there is always the "it is tough to beat a team three times in a year" thingie going in your favor . . .

perhaps too i rather have my pats play cincy in the second round than pitt . . .

I'm having a little trouble figuring out how you found your way to this website

tony hipchest
01-03-2012, 12:12 AM
i would like to kick the ravens teeth down their throats ASAP. theyre kinda like the JETS- frauds who dont deserve another shot at an AFCC game.

Yehoodi
01-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm having a little trouble figuring out how you found your way to this website

actually, i enjoy talking football and for the most part only have pats fans up here in Boston . . .so i enjoy going to a few cites of the pats oppenents (jets/colts/steelers) to get a different perspective on things, its fun to chat with fans of other teams . . ,. i really can't do this in person up here, but can do it on the internet whch is fun . . . so its cool to chat with others . . . it can get really one sided if one just chat with fans of your own team . . .

Yehoodi
01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
i would like to kick the ravens teeth down their throats ASAP. theyre kinda like the JETS- frauds who dont deserve another shot at an AFCC game.

i am sure you guys would love to take out the ravens in a the playoffs in a game that "matters" . . .one wonders what that might do to the mindset of the Ravens players after having won two regular seasons games and won the division but then came up short in Jan. . . . would be interesting . . .

SonsofNorway
01-04-2012, 12:02 AM
I actually want the Pats, I'm think to a degree we're flying under the radar here, and I can't help but want to avenge all the losses we've suffered to them and not just the ones in the playoffs. Nothing feels as satisfying as beating Marcia and Belichump. But with Lewis hurting and Reed not playing well i can see some people's desire to play the Ravens, I think the bottom line is we are both gonna play them anyways.So it's like a six of one, half dozen of the other scenario.

steelfury02
01-04-2012, 08:08 AM
all this team has to do is score in the red zone - we're great between the 20s (and that's including 'dupid penalties) but coming away with field goals will only work @ Denver.

I'll play the what if's if that will satisfy the thin skin of blinded homers - realistically the Broncos are lucky to be in the AFC West. They would be a 4-12/5-11 team in any other division - the Bengals IMHO deserve a home wild card game over them at this point. I am confident we will win but by no means is it a given - I don't need to rehash our team's issues.

Like you said - doesn't matter who we face in the second round - we'll have our hands full. I would have felt better if we were healthier. That's all -

Add more injury to injury - Ben tweaked his ankle - so my point is valid. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Crap happens.

sharkweek
01-04-2012, 05:06 PM
there is no ideal path because we're the only team that has a legitimate chance of beating either the Ravens or Pats. I think Cinci has a chance to beat the Ravens but they could only face them in the AFCCG, which defeats the point of this convo.

That being said, I want to face the Pats first, because I definitely do not want to see them in another Superbowl and would thus like to give them the hardest road.

sharkweek
01-04-2012, 05:11 PM

In what is now a clearly QB driven league (3 QBs over 5000 yards this season alone) I hope you can understand why some Steeler fans are very weary of this season even more so than the 05 season. Ben was healthy then, at least relative to now. Could Ben maneuver and make a game saving tackle on Nick Harper with his current ankle injury like he did that season?

If Ben didn't have a high ankle sprain (the worst kind you can have) and a broken thumb on his throwing hand, I think many of us would be extremely confident even as a 5th seed. Granted, if Ben didn't have those injuries maybe we beat the 49ers and we're instead 13-3 and the #1 seed.

tanda10506
01-05-2012, 07:28 PM
The more I think about it, the main thing is who will we be most able to beat? I think we will be in NE in week 2, I just don't see a 3rd string QB, beat up, Texans team beating the Bengals again. I think the question in the NE game is will LeBeau come out with a plan like during the regular season and stay a step ahead of Brady, or will we come out like the 5-6 games before that one and just let Brady pick us apart. Keenan Lewis being in the game or not will be a difference.

FanSince72
01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
The more I think about it, the main thing is who will we be most able to beat?

I dunno... is St. Mary's doing anything next week?

tanda10506
01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
:applaudit::chuckle:I dunno... is St. Mary's doing anything next week?