PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Pittsburgh's offense

Heeeeeeeath
01-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Ok, so here's the deal. Ben passed for 4,000 yards and we had 2 1,000 yard receivers, but guess where we were in scoring this year? Below average again... I think I know something we can do next year to help us score more, or, at the very least, help the offense be more consistent.

We all know Arians loves to line us up in the Shotgun. We also know our offensive line isn't good enough to face guys who are just in pure pass-rush mode. Our one-dimensional shotgun offense leads to some big plays but there are other formations you can use to get big plays that don't take the running game out of the mix entirely. I don't even disagree that we should be pass-first team. With ben and these receivers, we should be chucking it deep, but when you have multiple talented backs, you have to get them involved, too. For that reason, I'd give anything to get Ken Whisenhunt back, but that'll never happen. If I were Bruce Arians and could admit the fact that my play-calling sucks, and I wanted to get better next year, here is what I would do:

Eliminate at least half of the snaps we take out of the shotgun, and instead, go out of the I-Formation 3 WR set. Now, before anyone gets too ahead of themselves here, I am well aware that this means that Heeeeath would be on the field less. I'm totally aware of that. However, we wouldn't be playing that formation more than 30% of the game. heath would be in there all other times. Anyway, the reason I-Form 3 WR would work for the Steelers is quite simple. It is a pass-heavy formation which right away forces the other team into playing nickel with safety help over the top against Wallace. On the other side, you will have 1 on 1 coverage on the outside for brown, and he is proving to be quite a handful for most #2 corners.

What that means is that the most the other team could possibly have in the box at a time is 7. With a lead blocker in front of Redman and Mendenhall, we can get them going north-south more instead of Mendenhall dancing around too much looking for holes that aren't there. From this formation, we can equally threaten the other team with the run and the pass. the best formation on offense is the one that you have the ebst personnel to run, and in my opinion, for us that is I-Formation 3 WR. Our strength is our WR corps and we can put pressure on the other team right away by forcing them to match up with 3 of them as a base set. If you think back to those Colts offenses that were always so awesome, think about this: We all know Peyton was always a great passer, but what made that offense click on all cylinders was there ability to run the ball out of 3 receiver sets. Don't believe me? Go watch the film of the seasons where they had Edgerin James and the first few years of Joseph Addai's career.

The reason it is important to consider this formation as one we can build an offense around is that for years our offense has been very predictable. Other players and coaches have even commented on how they are able to figure out almost exactly what the Steelers are doing. Sometimes we're able to put up points because Ben is amazing and our receivers make some huge plays, but that's just the talent rising above the coaching failures. It's the OC's job to put the offense in the best situations to succeed, and clearly, Arians doesn't do that. I'm not one of the people who likes to hate Arians because it's cool. I hate him because he refuses to try anything different to get this offense to score more points.

Anyway, feel free to disagree with me or suggest something else.

steelfury02
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
nope - Brucey and Ben just need to swig a few more brewskis back over a round of 18 - that'll work

Heeeeeeeath
01-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Bruce needs to go be a college head coach, because his offense might actually score points there.

effyou515
01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
two better offensive guards and a better left tackle, would help a lot. Steelers could draft o-lineman with their first two picks and i'd be happy

Sixburgher
01-01-2012, 10:42 PM
two better offensive guards and a better left tackle, would help a lot. Steelers could draft o-lineman with their first two picks and i'd be happy

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Heeeeeeeath
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Even with draft picks, you can't guarantee better players. What you can do is at least try to change things up on offense.

OX1947
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I'll tell you who could fix the Steelers offense, Norv Turner. He will be fired tomorrow and he will likely never be a head coach again. Bring him in as offensive coordinator and the Steelers offense goes up 2 notches....

frunko1
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
play action, and throw to someone over 6' tall

PhantomJB93
01-01-2012, 10:56 PM
We just need health (Ben still isn't 100%, he's better than before but you can tell he's not all there yet) and better playcalling. Redzone playcalling was abysmal today. Corner fades are for tall, big receivers who can jump up and just physically outmatch corners, that's not the type of receiving corps we have, and for some reason we called that like 4 times.

ZoneBlitzer
01-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Fire Arians and get some coaches who can set proper standards and stand up to Ben.

lipps83
01-02-2012, 01:34 AM
You could have an all-pro at every position on the offensive line and that still won't fix the problem that is Bruce Arians.

I honestly feel he is pretty much the only thing holding back this offense. We have the talent at all the skill positions, we really only need to upgrade the line and we could be pretty explosive.

Arians is holding us back.

I bet his next scheme is going to be 6 Wide with only 4 offensive lineman. He will run it out of the shotgun and every receiver will run a route at least 15 yards deep.

That'll score some points and put him and Roethlisberger in the hall of fame when it works in-between sacks.

DanRooney
01-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Our offense is just as bad as Tebow. It doesn't matter if we can move the ball better than them if we can't score TDs when we get into the redzone.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Ox, I like Turner.

But who is going to take Arians off our hands? Front office like the guy as he always trys to run even when it wont work. Rooneys so RUN RUN RUN, Arians says, how much boss?

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2012, 09:54 AM
As much as we do bitch about Arians, we could have Shottenhiemer, LOL Who is priobably available by 10am today, lol

Now that is one dumb OC

plenewken
01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Bruce needs to go be a college head coach, because his offense might actually score points there.

Are you kidding? He was friggin' pathetic when coaching Temple (21W-45L). What makes you think he'd do a better job now?

theplatypus
01-02-2012, 11:12 AM
You want to fix the offense take away the turnovers and stupid penalties.

TRH
01-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Arians needs to mix up plays better, and possibly run play action passes inside the 20.

Here's Arians playbook inside the 20 : Pass (from the pocket)....or run it up the middle. You think the other teams have figured this out yet??? Yes, we get lucky and run one in once in a while, but more often than not, our running game gets stuffed, and stuffed big time in the red zone.

Rick5895
01-02-2012, 11:36 AM
IMO this is a capsule of our offensive problems this season.

Yesterday, 2 minutes left, leading 13-9, we are running the ball well, averaging 4.5 yards per carry, the ol is doing a decent job, a run ...even if its stopped runs the clock as the Clowns have NO timeouts left, what does Brucey do.......throw....in complete clock stopped Clowns get time to drive for a winning score.

The point is, B.A. has no friggin clue about situational football, whether it be in the red zone or anywhere else, this offense has no continuity. Until that changes we will struggle to score.
Remeber 2009...a 4000 yard passer, 2 1000 yard recievers and a 1000 yard runner and no playoffs. Because we struggled to score in the red zone.
That is on the OC and his game planning, until he is gone it will be more of the same.

lipps83
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
You want to fix the offense take away the turnovers and stupid penalties.

I will speculate that more drives end because they stall instead of turnovers and penalties.

It seems half the time when we are in field goal range and need 2 yards for a 1st down, they go 5 wide and Ben gets sacked for a loss.

I can handle a turnover and penalty here and there (those are going to happen to every team), it is the consistency of 'illogical' on this offense that irritates me.

Heeeeeeeath
01-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Are you kidding? He was friggin' pathetic when coaching Temple (21W-45L). What makes you think he'd do a better job now?

Then why is he even here?... lol Further proof that he should be gone. :tt03:

tony hipchest
01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
i loved the 3 fade routes we threw to our smurf wr's in the endzone yesterday. :rolleyes:

theplatypus
01-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I will speculate that more drives end because they stall instead of turnovers and penalties.

It seems half the time when we are in field goal range and need 2 yards for a 1st down, they go 5 wide and Ben gets sacked for a loss.

I can handle a turnover and penalty here and there (those are going to happen to every team), it is the consistency of 'illogical' on this offense that irritates me.

Let's see 4 drives against niners
two against the browns last night
2 or 3 against the chiefs
8-9 combined against the ravens.

That;s over 25% of the offensive possessions killed by turnover alone in 5 games. Toss in a few holding penalties, false starts, personal fouls and your speculation is way off. It also doesn't help your case that at least 50% of the sacks fall solely on Ben's shoulders.

lipps83
01-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Let's see 4 drives against niners
two against the browns last night
2 or 3 against the chiefs
8-9 combined against the ravens.

That;s over 25% of the offensive possessions killed by turnover alone in 5 games. Toss in a few holding penalties, false starts, personal fouls and your speculation is way off. It also doesn't help your case that at least 50% of the sacks fall solely on Ben's shoulders.

You do realize there are 16 games each team plays in a season, right? You argument isn't even valid if you are only going to pick a handful of games that include a higher than normal amount of turnovers. Some of those turnovers are meaningless last ditch efforts at the end of the game already decided. Numbers alone don't really tell the whole story.

See, I can do that too.

We punted a total of 60 times through the season. An inability to achieve a first down after 3 attempts clearly ended more drives than turnovers.

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 01:09 PM
i loved the 3 fade routes we threw to our smurf wr's in the endzone yesterday. :rolleyes:

Tomlin: "Bruce, no more goaline fade routes, case you haven't noticed,our receivers are short."

Arians: "But all the cool teams are doing it!"

Kanata-Steeler
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
It's gotta be both ways. at the same time. (If you want an un-stopable Dynasty)
As LeBeau has been to our Defense, is what our future Offensive-Co-ordinator has to be for our OFFENSE.
But where is He ?!
:)
Unfortunately, there's no answer this year either, or any other past year, except maybe for the Wiz, and he's definitely gone for good.
We need an O-Guy, who just like General Patton, truly believes that "...the best Defense, is a great Offense..." !
and that my friends, in combo with a likewise Defense, wins Worlds', but holy shit, we already knew that.. -lol.
god, I can only wish

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Fire Bruce. I'd like to see what Fichtner or Montgomery could do. Maybe even Kugler.

Heeeeeeeath
01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
I even think Batch could be a good OC...

Danny136200
01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I think the single back, with 3 WRsand 1 TE would be best. Have the tight end line up where their best pass rusher is and chip the guy before going to run the route. Do the same thing with the RB or keep in the back field to block. One of the biggest problems that we have in the offensive line is when the Dline decides to twist (i do not know what that is called, the Defensive end goes over the Tackle or something like that). The Oline seems to never be able to pick up the Defensive end to doing the inside stunt.

Back to the subject at hand... I do beleive that this I-formation will work if we had a capable Fullback.

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2012, 05:43 PM
thats all part of the genius of bruce arians , why throw a fade to your 6-5 TE , when nobody expects you to throw it to your 5-9 receiver...:thumbsup:

queeg
01-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Fire Bruce. I'd like to see what Fichtner or Montgomery could do. Maybe even Kugler.
An insane post. Arians did the job better than last yr. Injuries on line really hurt us.

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2012, 05:52 PM
An insane post. Arians did the job better than last yr. Injuries on line really hurt us.
i agree queef...total mind blowing insanity ...support your team :tt02::tt02:

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 06:12 PM
i agree queef...total mind blowing insanity ...support your team :tt02::tt02:
What a regrettable post. :doh:

sharkweek
01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
better OL and new OC

we're set for WRs (only area of improvement would be adding a tall guy, with Ward on the way out and lacking a killer 6th WR with Battle, its not like there's no room for someone like that)

we're set for RBs (Mendenhall might not be the player we all hoped he would be, but I think any lack of success in running the ball might be greatly helped by improving the OL as well as play calling, however I do have all the confidence in our backups with Redman and the extremely promising potential of Clay and Baron Batch)

we're set for TEs (Heath is easily the most underrated TE, and easily a top 3 in the leauge, and Saunders and Johnson have done very well)

and since we've seemingly improved a great deal in our defensive secondary and have injected youth to the DL with back to back 1st round picks, I think its time to shift focus to the OL.

For far too long it seems like we've been playing emergency plug the gaps with washed up offensive linemen and still somehow finding enough success, it would be nice if for once we could actually have a dominant OL. I mean right now we're at the point where losing just about anyone on our OL I no longer worry that much because they're all pretty mediocre and it seems like we can just plug just about anyone in and get the same mediocre results

Whodis
01-02-2012, 08:04 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MP163CA9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

zsheik22
01-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Fire Arians

Heeeeeeeath
01-02-2012, 08:16 PM

The OL is hurt every year. Our WR corps has been getting progressively better and our red zone efficiency has become worse. I blame Arians for that 100% of the way.

cubanstogie
01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
The OL is hurt every year. Our WR corps has been getting progressively better and our red zone efficiency has become worse. I blame Arians for that 100% of the way.

I love our new young receivers but I believe our red zone inefficiencies were the reason every wanted Sweed to succeed. Much easier to pass to a tall WR who can use his body effectively in the endzone and throw a fade or a ball up for grabs. I am in no way sticking up for BA here. His job is to figure out something with the personnel we have. Heath is a great TE but doesn't seem to get the TD's like other all pro TE's. Not sure if is lack of seperation or lack of plays designed for him.Either way BA gets paid to get it in the endzone not a FG. on a separate note whey do we suck at RB screens and shovel passes.

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I love our new young receivers but I believe our red zone inefficiencies were the reason every wanted Sweed to succeed. Much easier to pass to a tall WR who can use his body effectively in the endzone and throw a fade or a ball up for grabs. I am in no way sticking up for BA here. His job is to figure out something with the personnel we have. Heath is a great TE but doesn't seem to get the TD's like other all pro TE's. Not sure if is lack of seperation or lack of plays designed for him.Either way BA gets paid to get it in the endzone not a FG. on a separate note whey do we suck at RB screens and shovel passes.
Because those don't get the 13-year-old in Bruce excited quite the way 80s-style Raiders ball does.

queeg
01-03-2012, 01:38 AM

Do you ever hugged your pet or looked in the mirror and said I will make the world a better place today?

Coach Arians did well this year. 4000 yds. Passing. Developed a new rookie tackle and a really young receiving corps. Got great fill in from Essex and Lagursky and found the elixir to make Starks a motivated left tackle.

IowaSteeler927
01-03-2012, 03:22 AM
Do you ever hugged your pet or looked in the mirror and said I will make the world a better place today?

Coach Arians did well this year. 4000 yds. Passing. Developed a new rookie tackle and a really young receiving corps. Got great fill in from Essex and Lagursky and found the elixir to make Starks a motivated left tackle.

Sorry pal but yards don't matter when you're not getting in the endzone. Our running game has been the worst I've seen in awhile. Regardless of the offensive line issues we still should've been able to run the ball better. Arians is a joke plain and simple. Our redzone offense is putrid to say the very least. I agree especially with the posts about these fade routes being thrown in the endzone. We don't have receivers tall enough to make those kinds of plays and it ends up putting us at risk for extremely costly interceptions. We have got to get rid of Arians and his predictable, screen pass happy, joke of an offensive scheme that hasn't been nearly consistent enough to warrant keeping him around.

We have also got to get a taller receiver to help us out in redzone situations. The draft has a few. I think Marvin McNutt out of Iowa would be a good pickup for us if he's available in the mid to late rounds. He's tall and he's got great hands.

ricardisimo
01-03-2012, 04:27 AM
Sorry pal but yards don't matter when you're not getting in the endzone. Our running game has been the worst I've seen in awhile. Regardless of the offensive line issues we still should've been able to run the ball better. Arians is a joke plain and simple. Our redzone offense is putrid to say the very least. I agree especially with the posts about these fade routes being thrown in the endzone. We don't have receivers tall enough to make those kinds of plays and it ends up putting us at risk for extremely costly interceptions. We have got to get rid of Arians and his predictable, screen pass happy, joke of an offensive scheme that hasn't been nearly consistent enough to warrant keeping him around.

We have also got to get a taller receiver to help us out in redzone situations. The draft has a few. I think Marvin McNutt out of Iowa would be a good pickup for us if he's available in the mid to late rounds. He's tall and he's got great hands.
With our needs elsewhere, and our wealth of talent at the wide receiver position, I cannot imagine us drafting any wideouts... even one that looks as good in black and gold as McNutt.

We'll be drafting a guard and a nose tackle, not necessarily in that order, then a tackle, a safety, a quarterback and a kicker. Another guard or tackle somewhere in there might help our offense tremendously. Forget wide receiver.

IowaSteeler927
01-03-2012, 04:34 AM
With our needs elsewhere, and our wealth of talent at the wide receiver position, I cannot imagine us drafting any wideouts... even one that looks as good in black and gold as McNutt.

We'll be drafting a guard and a nose tackle, not necessarily in that order, then a tackle, a safety, a quarterback and a kicker. Another guard or tackle somewhere in there might help our offense tremendously. Forget wide receiver.

I think you're definitely right but I'd be thrilled to see a Hawkeye in a Steeler uniform and I think McNutt would pan out unlike Limas Sweed.

Bayz101
01-03-2012, 07:00 AM

The offensive line will be addressed, that's for sure. I'm sure we'll mostly tackles and defensive ends in this draft, and I almost believe we'll be picking up a kicker from free agency rather than the draft. I don't know why, but I just don't think the Steelers would use a pick on a kicker. When's the last time the Steelers chose a kicker in the draft? I think Reed was a free agent pickup.

Rick5895
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
The offensive line will be addressed, that's for sure. I'm sure we'll mostly tackles and defensive ends in this draft, and I almost believe we'll be picking up a kicker from free agency rather than the draft. I don't know why, but I just don't think the Steelers would use a pick on a kicker. When's the last time the Steelers chose a kicker in the draft? I think Reed was a free agent pickup.

Don't mean to disagree with you, but, the biggest needs on this team are ILB, Safety ( as good as Troy is, these concussions have to concern the front office) and DT/NT. We could use a good guard, but are young on the OL I am sure Kemo will be gone and hopefully we can resign Starks, if so we will be ok at OT. WR could be a problem if we somehow lose Wallace, and Cotchery is a free agent, Hines may retire or may not be back, so what was a strength in depth could become shallow.
We have drafted DE in 2 or the last 3 drafts in the 1st round, we still have Keisel and he really doesn't show signs of slowing down, We are ok there to.
However all this means nothing if Brucey is still the OC.

Bayz101
01-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Don't mean to disagree with you, but, the biggest needs on this team are ILB, Safety ( as good as Troy is, these concussions have to concern the front office) and DT/NT. We could use a good guard, but are young on the OL I am sure Kemo will be gone and hopefully we can resign Starks, if so we will be ok at OT. WR could be a problem if we somehow lose Wallace, and Cotchery is a free agent, Hines may retire or may not be back, so what was a strength in depth could become shallow.
We have drafted DE in 2 or the last 3 drafts in the 1st round, we still have Keisel and he really doesn't show signs of slowing down, We are ok there to.
However all this means nothing if Brucey is still the OC.

I agree. I was just pointing out two positions that we'll probably draft.

queeg
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM

We need community support and less back biting by miserable people in 2012.

plenewken
01-03-2012, 12:40 PM

I'll take a TE any day over a tall WR in red zone situations. A TE is much more versatile.

DanRooney
01-03-2012, 03:09 PM

I'm about 80 percent sure we'll be drafting an ILB first. This draft class has too much first round talent at that position not to pick one and one will mot certainly fall to us. Then probably a guard in the 2nd.

Heeeeeeeath
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I'll take a TE any day over a tall WR in red zone situations. A TE is much more versatile.

I agree. Why do we not look for Heeeeeeeath in the red zone? I've always wondered about that.

theplatypus
01-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I agree. Why do we not look for Heeeeeeeath in the red zone? I've always wondered about that.

Because he has to stay in and block to help the offensive line.

Heeeeeeeath
01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Because he has to stay in and block to help the offensive line.

Every single play? We can't sneak him in a route once in a while?

theplatypus
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Every single play? We can't sneak him in a route once in a while?

They do.

Heeeeeeeath
01-03-2012, 05:08 PM
They do.

Obviously not often enough.

Kanata-Steeler
01-03-2012, 05:17 PM
This thread needs re-direction to the "Fire Ariens" thread:
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=62451

ricardisimo
01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
We drafted both Sepulveda and Kris Brown.

ricardisimo
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Please lead by example... stop biting other posters in the back. If you continue not to have any interest whatsoever in contributing to thread topics and discussions, we might need to ask you to post elsewhere.

If you disagree with someone's opinion, please tell us why... raise points and form an argument, share your feelings, whatever. If you don't have any actual opinion (and I think most of us have already settled the "queeg issue" in our own brains) then please don't post at all.

It's beyond annoying now.

plenewken
01-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Obviously not often enough.

I agree. Look at NE and NO to name a few offensive powerhouses. Their TEs (Gronkowski and Graham) had a terrific year. When Heap played for the Ravens he was one of our nemesis.
As long as we have a turd as OC, don't expect much change in this domain.

Ricco Suavez
01-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I would be all for Arians staying as OC as long as he turned the duties over to someone else once we entered the Red Zone. He has no creativity in short field situations. If our O-line was more physical up front we might could pound it in like Bettis but we get no movement against even the weakest Defenses. I mean 4000 yd passers with two 1000 yd receivers and just a few years ago a 100 yd rusher to go along with 4000 yds passing, The guy is not all bad, I just think he has gone stale and predictable.

ricardisimo
01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm about 80 percent sure we'll be drafting an ILB first. This draft class has too much first round talent at that position not to pick one and one will mot certainly fall to us. Then probably a guard in the 2nd.
I know we discussed Hightower and Burfict at length elsewhere, and yeah, if a standout is there, I could see it. On the other hand, can you really see Colbert passing up DeCastro, Osemele or Glenn if they are there? Not to put too much stock in mocks this early in the year, but I've seen decent ILBs (including Burfict) appearing in the 2nd round and later.

lipps83
01-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I would be all for Arians staying as OC as long as he turned the duties over to someone else once we entered the Red Zone. He has no creativity in short field situations.

He has no creativity at all. 80% of his plays has everyone running ridiculously long routes even when they do not need to.

I am pretty sure he is the only idiot in NFL history to run a draw play deep out of their own end zone (which resulted in a safety). I am pretty sure that is in the running for worst play in NFL history. (this play irritates me so much, I will never forget it)

I would rather have Vince Young calling the offense, and we all know how low his Wonderlic score was.

Bayz101
01-03-2012, 10:17 PM
We drafted both Sepulveda and Kris Brown.

Kris Brown! Forgot all about him. I knew we drafted DS, but I was interested in finding out the last time we drafted a kicker. We usually just do free-agent pickup's when it comes to punters and kickers.

plenewken
01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I would be all for Arians staying as OC as long as he turned the duties over to someone else once we entered the Red Zone. He has no creativity in short field situations. If our O-line was more physical up front we might could pound it in like Bettis but we get no movement against even the weakest Defenses. I mean 4000 yd passers with two 1000 yd receivers and just a few years ago a 100 yd rusher to go along with 4000 yds passing, The guy is not all bad, I just think he has gone stale and predictable.

Yardage means squat. if it doesn't translate into points on the board.

steeltheone
01-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Kris Brown! Forgot all about him. I knew we drafted DS, but I was interested in finding out the last time we drafted a kicker. We usually just do free-agent pickup's when it comes to punters and kickers.

Believe we also drafted Craig Colquitt, Matt Bahr and David Trout in the late 70's...

IowaSteeler927
01-04-2012, 10:32 AM

Wow I hope that's not geared towards me because I shared my observations which I have developed from watching each and every game of the season.

We have TE's Arians just uses them for blocking rather than receiving. Miller could be a pass catching stud given more opportunities and I think Saunders could be a great pass catcher as well. We need a good versatile tall receiver who can catch the fade routes and jump balls that our smaller receivers like Wallace, Sanders, and Brown aren't exactly built for. That's why I like Marvin McNutt. Sure it's a bit of a home pick being that I am a Hawkeye fan however in watching him go from a QB to a receiver he's incredibly smart, and has excellent skills. He uses his body effectively and rarely loses in a jump ball situation due to his athletic ability and hands. He's also a pretty good sized body, he had some good YAC this year. Ben's asked for a tall receiver for awhile. They tried to give that to him in Limas Sweed. Sweed couldn't focus and couldn't make catches in high pressure situations. He was also injury prone. We got burners, we need a good tall possession receiver. In my ideal world we get McNutt or a similar big receiver and Ward stays to help tutor.

plenewken
01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
We have TE's Arians just uses them for blocking rather than receiving. Miller could be a pass catching stud given more opportunities and I think Saunders could be a great pass catcher as well. We need a good versatile tall receiver who can catch the fade routes and jump balls that our smaller receivers like Wallace, Sanders, and Brown aren't exactly built for. That's why I like Marvin McNutt. Sure it's a bit of a home pick being that I am a Hawkeye fan however in watching him go from a QB to a receiver he's incredibly smart, and has excellent skills. He uses his body effectively and rarely loses in a jump ball situation due to his athletic ability and hands. He's also a pretty good sized body, he had some good YAC this year. Ben's asked for a tall receiver for awhile. They tried to give that to him in Limas Sweed. Sweed couldn't focus and couldn't make catches in high pressure situations. He was also injury prone. We got burners, we need a good tall possession receiver. In my ideal world we get McNutt or a similar big receiver and Ward stays to help tutor.

It's not Arians, it's the Steelers style. It was the same before Arians. The Steelers don't use their TEs the way other teams use them and when you look at our red zone efficiency, it is obviously a problem.
I don't think the Steelers will draft McNutt. They have more pressing needs both offensively and defensively until the 6th round and he will be picked before that.