PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall tore ACL

NEWstevo
01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
If this is true, I wonder if they'll put him on IR and pick up someone else?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tomlin: Rashard Mendenhall could have a torn ACL

Pittsburgh Steelersí starting running back Rashard Mendenhall left Sundayís win over the Cleveland Browns with a knee injury, and head coach Mike Tomlin told reporters after the game that he could have a torn ACL, according to multiple reports.

An MRI will be performed Monday to see the extent of the damage, ProFootballTalk reported. If nothing else, Mendenhall will certainly miss next weekendís wild-card matchup at Denver.

Mendenhall has rushed for 890 yards and nine touchdowns on the season. Isaac Redman replaced Mendenhall Sunday, and will likely assume running back duties until his return.

frunko1
01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Bring in Willie Parker, when he is healthy in the playoffs we always win the superbowl (its true, look it up)

effyou515
01-01-2012, 09:41 PM
next man up Redman.

PhantomJB93
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
I trust Redman to be decent, but this hurts. People are quick to forget, Mendenhall was a huge reason we even got to the Super Bowl last year. He was a dominant runner in the postseason and helped make long, time consuming scoring drives. And he was starting to run a lot better over the past couple weeks too.

Maybe bring in a guy like Willie Parker, Larry Johnson or Clinton Portis? I know they're "old and washed up" but they at least have experience. I know a lot of people like Parker but I'd personally rather give one of the latter two a shot.

Bayz101
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
The title of this thread may be misleading. I thought it was early news of his condition. MRI's tomorrow, and we'll take it from there.

Bayz101
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I trust Redman to be decent, but this hurts. People are quick to forget, Mendenhall was a huge reason we even got to the Super Bowl last year. He was a dominant runner in the postseason and helped make long, time consuming scoring drives. And he was starting to run a lot better over the past couple weeks too.

Maybe bring in a guy like Willie Parker, Larry Johnson or Clinton Portis? I know they're "old and washed up" but they at least have experience. I know a lot of people like Parker but I'd personally rather give one of the latter two a shot.

Parker apparently weighs a little over 220 pounds. A little heavier then he used to be. Plus, he's a UFL player now, running for the Virginia Destroyers. We really don't have the money to pick anybody up, however, we had to scrape up change to get Starks on the roster, our cap is meeting it's limits.

tony hipchest
01-01-2012, 10:43 PM
The title of this thread may be misleading. I thought it was early news of his condition. MRI's tomorrow, and we'll take it from there.seems like mendenhall knew it popped as soon as he went down. the team staff didtn even let him walk to the locker room. (probably didnt want him catching browns staph).

i think he's done.

DanRooney
01-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Parker apparently weighs a little over 220 pounds. A little heavier then he used to be. Plus, he's a UFL player now, running for the Virginia Destroyers. We really don't have the money to pick anybody up, however, we had to scrape up change to get Starks on the roster, our cap is meeting it's limits.

How's Franco Harris looking? Maybe he'll take the vet minimum.

finesward
01-01-2012, 11:09 PM
famous amos anyone?

finesward
01-01-2012, 11:10 PM
no wait, tiki barber is available I heard... :toofunny:

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Redman will step up, he's a good back, and Clay looks good.

Bayz101
01-02-2012, 02:47 AM
How's Franco Harris looking? Maybe he'll take the vet minimum.
* Points to fourth post *

Bayz101
01-02-2012, 02:49 AM
seems like mendenhall knew it popped as soon as he went down. the team staff didtn even let him walk to the locker room. (probably didnt want him catching browns staph).

i think he's done.

I think there's no question he's done, it's just all about confirmation now.

OX1947
01-02-2012, 03:18 PM
It's official now:

Rashard Mendenhall's right knee injury has been officially diagnosed as a torn ACL.
Jan 2 - 4:15 PM
Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Damn.

Bayz101
01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Shit.

steelerchad
01-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Not that whoever we sign would play, but I think we're pretty thin with Dwyer on IR and MM dinged a little. We could use a back for vet minimum off the scrap heap and if Parker is available I'd pick him up as nothing more than an emergency if the other guys get hurt. If he's player in the UFL, he's at least in some kind of football shape and he's played in this offense before. Who else could you get at this stage of the game?

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 04:54 PM
There is no need to get anybody else, have confidence in Redman. Redman has more power and he runs straight, he will carry the load and carry it well. Behind this O line he's better then Mendy. Clay is looking real good behind him, that's straight forward running, I'd like to see more of him. He's confident right now. We have two good backs right now and I think Moore will be back in Denver, we are set. Redman had a couple fumbles but he's hungry, he hasn't been a fumbler and he only fumbled because of how hard he was fighting, he has learned from that. He's showed he can make a clutch pay in Baltimore last year. Have faith, these guy ARE going to step up. Go Steelers!!!!:tt::tt04::tt02:

SunshineMan21
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Will MM be back for the playoffs? Confident in Redman, but it will be tough if we only have two healthy backs. What do we do if somebody gets hurt?

MOFan17
01-02-2012, 05:14 PM
We need to get someone, Johnson will be running the ball before long.

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 05:18 PM
We only need two more key injuries and Bruce Arians will finally get his dream. :drool:

BIGWILL
01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
I hope we see more of John Clay. Even though he is a rookie and its the playoff, I think he has potential to be a damn good back.

BengalDestroyer
01-02-2012, 06:01 PM
RE - SIGN 39!!!

sharkweek
01-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Redman and Clay looked very good, granted it was against a woeful Browns team that has a proven weakness against the run ranking 30th in the league.

However I think they're a good change of pace as the eye test shows me they seem to be better at grind out tough yards when the defense is going all out against the run, they're definitely far more prototypical "Steeler RBs", particularly Clay with his size. I believe losing Mendenhall hurts more in the passing game as he's a better receiving back and I think he's also better in picking up blocks to help protect the QB.

Good news is that I believe their run style is far more beneficial to cold weather play, which is certainly where our 3 potential road games will be (no chance we play in Houston, it would have to be the AFCCG and there's no way they win two games without Schaub and a healthy Johnson)

Bad news is Clay is still very much an unproven rookie and Redman choked a bit by fumbling twice in his first game where he was asked to carry most of the load after Mendy went down.

Dawg19
01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Redman and Clay looked very good, granted it was against a woeful Browns team that has a proven weakness against the run ranking 30th in the league.

However I think they're a good change of pace as the eye test shows me they seem to be better at grind out tough yards when the defense is going all out against the run, they're definitely far more prototypical "Steeler RBs", particularly Clay with his size. I believe losing Mendenhall hurts more in the passing game as he's a better receiving back and I think he's also better in picking up blocks to help protect the QB.

Good news is that I believe their run style is far more beneficial to cold weather play, which is certainly where our 3 potential road games will be (no chance we play in Houston, it would have to be the AFCCG and there's no way they win two games without Schaub and a healthy Johnson)

Bad news is Clay is still very much an unproven rookie and Redman choked a bit by fumbling twice in his first game where he was asked to carry most of the load after Mendy went down.

All due respect...the Browns showed up yesterday and punched the Steelers in the mouth. Their defense is ranked 5th in the league for scoring defense so the running stats are misleading. The Steelers didn't run the ball all over us yesterday. Yes, in the end we lost, but I don't think you can call the Browns pushovers anymore.

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
All due respect...the Browns showed up yesterday and punched the Steelers in the mouth. Their defense is ranked 5th in the league for scoring defense so the running stats are misleading. The Steelers didn't run the ball all over us yesterday. Yes, in the end we lost, but I don't think you can call the Browns pushovers anymore.
With all due respect, the Steelers did run all over you yesterday. 161 yards from a 2nd- and 3rd-string running back combo, with a gimpy quarterback leading Bruce Arians' pass-happy offense is a bad sign for you.

That said, the Browns did show up. That game was closer than I ever thought it would be.

cubanstogie
01-02-2012, 08:18 PM

credit goes to the Browns for playing hard for 60 minutes in a meaningless game for them. Gimpy QB and 2 fumbles are what kept the game close. Punched in the mouth is a little over the top.