PDA

View Full Version : Offense or Defense?

Elvis
06-25-2006, 07:11 AM
:boxing:
Good morning to all...
I am and have been a Steelers fan for over 25 years I guess, and I know that I have seen some good football players come and go. Now, I am a Defense kind of guy. I know you have to score points to win but the Dee must set it up for you Offense. Name your favorite all-time offensive player and most of all your favorite Defensive player.
My Offensive player would have to be "the Bus" he tipified what a Steeler player should be from day 1 when he was obtained in the draft from the Rams for like a 3rd draft pick or something? if I am wrong with that pick let me know.
My Defensive Player....CB/SS/LB Carnell Lake... the man could do Anything on the field.. Tackle Cover Blitz kind of like Rod Woodson . Hope this is fun for everyone and hope you get to church this morning..
God Bless All
Elvis

Prosdo
06-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Favorite offensive player is between Hines Ward and Jerome Bettis. Both just are the definition of Steelers type players. Favorite defensive player would be Troy Polamalu. The guy is everywhere on the field and involved in every play.

Elvis
06-25-2006, 08:08 AM
good answer prosdo... I see that you are 19 yrs old...how long have you been watchin' Steelers football? It doesnt matter to me, I was just wondering. I also think that it is Awesome that the ladies are steppin' up and watchin' football like it sounds like you are doing...I wish my wife would get in to it!
God Bless All
Elvis

Prosdo
06-25-2006, 08:11 AM
I've been watching for as long as I can remember. Every Sunday growing up the game was on.

MyCuz64Furness
06-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Of course my favorite defensive player would be Steve Furness......he stood behind the Curtains spotlight and still put it forward when he played.....helping the team form the workouts as well.....his dedication to his team was unwavering......RIP

Now offense.....I always loved Swann....he was like a dancing gazelle :smile: Loved weatching him go up for balls it was pure talent......Hines Ward has to be my new favorite......his smile and love for the game and his team makes him even more powerful as well as his talent.......Bettis has the same fire IMO.......

clevestinks
06-25-2006, 08:57 AM
O = Bradshaw, so clutch in the biggest games!

D = Damn this is always tough, we are blessed to have great players every year, Jack Lambert!

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 11:43 AM
:boxing:
Good morning to all...
I am and have been a Steelers fan for over 25 years I guess, and I know that I have seen some good football players come and go. Now, I am a Defense kind of guy. I know you have to score points to win but the Dee must set it up for you Offense. Name your favorite all-time offensive player and most of all your favorite Defensive player.
My Offensive player would have to be "the Bus" he tipified what a Steeler player should be from day 1 when he was obtained in the draft from the Rams for like a 3rd draft pick or something? if I am wrong with that pick let me know.
My Defensive Player....CB/SS/LB Carnell Lake... the man could do Anything on the field.. Tackle Cover Blitz kind of like Rod Woodson . Hope this is fun for everyone and hope you get to church this morning..
God Bless All
Elvis

Good question I'm only 27 years old. So, I only remember the Bill Cowher years really well. I do remember when Chuck Noll was the coach but that was mostly at the end of his career. But, my favorite players on offense and defense are and this is going to be tough.

On offense... I have to go with Hines Ward and Jerome Bettis. I loved watching both and I can't pick between them. Both were very good players and fit the Steelers mold well.

On defense...Carnell Lake was a good one and was very fun to watch. But growing up my favorite player not defense or offense but favorite players period was Greg Lloyd. Man, he was such a terror on QB's. He had that attitude to go with it. I loved watching Greg Lloyd.

MyCuz64Furness
06-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Greg Lloyd. Man, he was such a terror on QB's. He had that attitude to go with it. I loved watching Greg Lloyd.

He was a great player and very tough

nicesteel4life
06-25-2006, 12:07 PM
For my 70's vote
LAMBERT was a BEAST!!!!
WEBSTER was the GLUE!!!!

For my 80's vote ( not the best years )
STONE was CATCHING!!!!
BINGHAM was SMACKING!!!!

For my 90's vote
WOODSON was PRIME!!!!
DAWSON was SNAPPY!!!!

For my 00's vote
HINES is AWESOME!!!!
TROY is BLASTING!!!!

ALL TIME FAVORITE RETIRED
MR JEROME BETTIS!!!!

SteelCzar76
06-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Offense: A young Bussy. (picture what we could have accomplished with him in his prime with an actual Qb?!)

Defense: That's tough. I'm gonna have to say it's a tie Between Jack, Rod and Troy.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"

Blitzburgh55
06-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Offense- Hines or Jemore Bettis
Defense- Joey Porter

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Big Ben
Troy

nicesteel4life
06-25-2006, 01:31 PM
It just makes me laugh!!!! It seems that nobody has a window open further than the last few years. UMMMM if you havent all forgot the Steelers have been around for over 60 years. Can we get a bit better thought into this? Just maybe we have some posters that are over 25? Everybody wants to pick the currents. But as i look everybody posting is NEWBY writters(including myself) but I forget we all dont know the History further back than 5 years. Just a little let down. Lets see some originality

Also I must remind you all that BETTIS is RETIRED, his number is available

It's not that i didn't think he was Great!! Probably one of the BEST EVER to wear BLACK N GOLD

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 01:37 PM
It just makes me laugh!!!! It seems that nobody has a window open further than the last few years. UMMMM if you havent all forgot the Steelers have been around for over 60 years. Can we get a bit better thought into this? Just maybe we have some posters that are over 25? Everybody wants to pick the currents. But as i look everybody posting is NEWBY writters(including myself) but I forget we all dont know the History further back than 5 years. Just a little let down. Lets see some originality

Man, I'm only 27 years old so I only go back to late 80's as really following Steelers football.

I picked Hines Ward and Jerome Bettis for my offensive players. Sorry but both fit the Steelers mold.

On defense I went with Greg Lloyd. At least Lloyd goes back to the late 1980's. I can't comment on the 1970's or early 1980's players since I didn't watch them since I was to little. But Lloyd fit the Steelers mold at LB. He played the game nasty and that was a tribute to the "Steel Curtain" days.

DIESELMAN
06-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Defense: #1 Jack Lambert Always and the rest of the Steel Curtain.....:helmet:

Offense: Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, Rocky Bleier, John Stallworth....Man you know what lets just say the Steelers of the 70's will always be my favorites.....:helmet:

thejim
06-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Offensive: Probably Hines Ward, though I really liked Merril Hoge and Louis Lipps

Defensive: James Farrior is my guy. During the mid-90s though, I absolutely loved Deon Figures. I know, the guy was a total bum and waste of a pick. But I just loved the guy for some reason.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
06-25-2006, 02:45 PM
I am a defense type guy to.Now for the answering of the question

offense-Omar Jacobs,hines ward, and the offensive line.

defense-Ike taylor, troy polamlau, Rod woodson,

HburgXL06
06-25-2006, 03:13 PM
"Offense makes highlight reels, defense wins championships."

Offense: BUS, Ward

Defense: Porter, Polomalu

Elvis
06-25-2006, 04:03 PM
For all you young people in here... dont get discouraged if you dont know much about the older players from early 80's or before. Mike Webster was one of the greatest Centers to ever play the game, then came Dermontti Dawson he was a great center also. We have had great players in the past and in my opinion we have some great young talent here with us now. So enjoy the present and learn from the past. By the way, Greg Lloyd was one of the meanest LB's in the last decade I have ever seen on the field and sounds like he was the same way off the field. He stayed in trouble with the law after his career with the Steelers for being abusive to his wife/family.
God Bless All
Elvis
P.S.
All the longer tenured fans dont need to be so hard on the younger fans encourage them instead of bashing them.

steelcity984
06-25-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm shocked nobody's said CASEY HAMPTON yet...

but my current favorite steelers player is probably Joey Porter...with my all-time favorites being Joe Greene (nobody's mentioned him either wtf?!) and TB!

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm shocked nobody's said CASEY HAMPTON yet...

but my current favorite steelers player is probably Joey Porter...with my all-time favorites being Joe Greene (nobody's mentioned him either wtf?!) and TB!

Maybe the reason nobody has mentioned Joe Greene yet is there are some young Steelers fans. How old are you? I'm 27 years old so I'm only sticking with players that I seen play. Sorry, I just can't comment on the players from the early 1980's and beyond. I respect those great players that came before and were the major reasons in turning the Steelers into one of the great NFL franchises. But if the only things I can go by is by books I read or watching old NFL films, I really can't make an accurate comment on those players that older Steelers fans that saw them teams play can.

SteelCzar76
06-25-2006, 05:19 PM
I feel you Black and Gold. I was a baby when we had the first Dynasty. The Players i grew up watching were the teams of the Mid to late 80's and the 90's. I wish i could have seen the 70's greats play in my adolesence.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the black and Gold"

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
I feel you Black and Gold. I was a baby when we had the first Dynasty. The Players i grew up watching were the teams of the Mid to late 80's and the 90's. I wish i could have seen the 70's greats play in my adolesence.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the black and Gold"

I hear you bro. Me to I go back to the late 1980's really. Thats when I started watching football. My family is from Pittsburgh so I have heard all the great stories. I read as much as I can about the Steelers and their history. But the players and teams that I can relate and comment on are the ones I saw actually play. Thats why I'm so glad the Steelers finally one another Super Bowl. I finally have alittle taste that older Steelers fans had in the 1970's.

Mosca
06-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Offense, by far my favorite player of all time is Franco Harris. People only remember what he was like in his last few years, with the slam of "always going out of bounds" and "never takes the hard hit". We rode to our first two Super Bowls on the back of Franco. Not Terry, not Lynn. Franco was the guy who finally gave us offensive respectability. Everything that followed came from him.

Defense, that's tough. You could populate an all-time lineup with Steelers players. You'd start a lot of arguments that way too, but you could have a legitimate argument at almost every position. I'm going to say Mel Blount, and here's why. Mel got good. He always had potential, but his first year he was burned so often he was like a cracker crisp. Instead of making excuses, instead of throwing smack, Mel buckled down and learned what he needed to learn and became one of the greatest defensive backs ever, one of the guys who defined the modern cornerback.

Tom

HometownGal
06-25-2006, 06:27 PM
This is a toughie - so many Steelers greats on both sides of the ball.

Hmmm. I'd have to say on offense it would be Rocky Bleier. He didn't put up the numbers Franco or Jerome did (most of the time), but he was so integral in the Steelers offense with his blocking abilities, toughness and true grit. I admired him even more for coming back from Vietnam with serious injuries to his legs, but turning that adversity around to pursue and realize his dream of playing football. It was an honor having this man wearing the black and gold. :smile:

On defense, I would definitely have to go with Dobre Shunka (Jack Ham), who imho, will always be remembered as one of the greatest outside linebackers in the NFL. He was a big play man, quick, very intelligent and always managed to be around that ball.

SteelProven
06-25-2006, 06:46 PM
My favorite Steeler on offense would have to be J. Bettis to me he was every steelers player should want to be on and off the field.

defense it has to be R. Woodson I mean he was everything the steelers could ask for in a corner and since his depature the Steelers secondary has never been the same.

Stlrs4Life
06-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Favorite Offensive player: Lynn Swann

Favorite defensive player: Lambert, Ham, Mean Joe Green, Lloyd. Joey P.

Elvis
06-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Hey guys/gals.... I got a question for ya'll. These really cool sigs that some of you have, how do I put some of or one of those on my replies? I hope that everyone has enjoyed the Thread that I started and hope that everyone can just learn something new about each others likes about our team. Another favorite player that I really liked was the Big TE named Eric Green...what a monster he was!!! Too bad he was dumb.
God Bless All
Elvis

Elvis
06-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Here is some familiar names that I remember as a Steelers fan and some have not been mentioned..... LB's Levon Kirkland.. Chad Brown... Jason Gildon.. Hardy Nickerson
DE LC Greenwood
RB's Barry Foster and Bam Morris
OG's Terry Long and Craig Wofley
S Lethon Flowers TE Bennie Cunningham
A player that I would like to see get some game action is OG Chris Kemoeatu.. from what all the experts like Mel Kiper Jr said when he was drafted last year that he is one of the meanest nastiest players he has ever seen. He said he should fit the Steelers mold perfectly.
God Bless
Elvis

section514
06-26-2006, 08:51 AM
I am only 20 (21 on sept 14th) and if I was single I'd be goin after prosdo (girls that are steeler fans are my weak spot), but as you can see in my avatar, i got my own little steeler fan, anyways, I really only remember from about 1990-on
so....

POrter is my favorite D - i love his antics on and off the field. The fact that he was as far away from the president between two coaches, made me laugh.
Offense I have to go with Hines - how can you not like him, I have taken his on field actions to heart to my on field actions. Keep smiling, football is supposed to be fun.