PDA

View Full Version : More injuries; thin in the secondary

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Jeezus H. Christ... did anyone leave Cleveland healthy? :banging:

Defensive back Madison to re-sign with Steelers
Monday, January 02, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Perhaps desperate for defensive backs, the Steelers will turn to one of their former cornerbacks and special teams aces to try to prop up a secondary that has been hit by a rash of injuries and perhaps the absence of safety Ryan Clark.
Although he has not yet signed a contract, Anthony Madison is on his way to Pittsburgh to likely rejoin his former teammates in time for their playoff game at Denver on Sunday. He announced today on his web page he will re-sign with the team.
Madison, 30, broke in with the Steelers in 2006 and has been off and on with them ever since.
The Steelers lost two cornerbacks to injuries in Cleveland: Keenan Lewis with a hamstring and rookie Cortez Allen to a separated shoulder.
They will decide soon whether starting free safety Ryan Clark will risk playing in the high altitude Denver, where his sickle cell trait caused a violent reaction in 2007 that required emergency surgery and nearly killed him.
The Steelers placed rookie cornerback Curtis Brown on injured reserve Dec. 23.
The new injuries left them with only three healthy cornerbacks in Cleveland -- starters Ike Taylor and William Gay, and veteran Bryant McFadden. Their other defensive backs include safeties Ryan Mundy and Will Allen.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12002/1200855-100.stm#ixzz1iLVgTQwQ

steelerchad
01-02-2012, 06:27 PM
We'll be ok thin at corner against Tebow, but we'll need Lewis against the Ravens or Pats.

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I know this sounds extreme, but we won't beat New England without Lewis. The only way we could is if Cortez Allen steps up big like Lewis, but without that good Nickle play we have been getting, we can't beat a passing team. Is it a minor pull or is he out for all remaining games? I think this might be the final blow to this team, if we don't have to play the pats we might get away with, but without a nickle corner playing at top notch we won't be able to shut down Brady nor whichever top QB we would face in the SB. All season we have had huge, key injuries that have broke our back, but being this injured in the playoffs will definetly cost us.

SH-Rock
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Lewis will we have 2 weeks to heal if we defeat the Broncos. Don't necessarily need great corners for the game. This game is for Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward to shine.

MOFan17
01-02-2012, 06:55 PM
That's the worst Steelers playoff injury situation I can remember. I'm glad we go to Denver first.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
kinda reminds me of Green Bay last year...

Rick5895
01-02-2012, 08:24 PM
That's the worst Steelers playoff injury situation I can remember. I'm glad we go to Denver first.

The worst I can remember is when we lost both Rranco and Rocky in the 1976 season playoffs going into a game with the Raiders .

harrison'samonster
01-02-2012, 08:43 PM
The worst I can remember is when we lost both Rranco and Rocky in the 1976 season playoffs going into a game with the Raiders .

not to side track the thread, but I've always been told that was the best Steelers team of the 70's.

We are going to be a bit short at secondary. That seems a shame because our secondary has been so good this year and might be the one position this team hasn't had injury problems at this year.

BlaZeQuietly
01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
EVERYONE CALM DOWN, We got this people... we got this. I guarantee we will beat Denver. I can't beleive there are people that are actually nervous about this game, Denver shouldn't even be in the play offs, if they were in a decent division they wouldn't be in the playoffs, We went 12-4 this year and mende just did us a favor by injuring him self so we can have a real running back like redman start. We all are set for another superbowl run take my word for it, I won the superbowl in madden 12, TWICE. Big ben threw for over 7,000 yards. trust me I know whats up.

harrison'samonster
01-02-2012, 08:56 PM
but can't you win any game in Madden if you have a good running game? that's the way it use to be. Denver does have a good running game.

Bayz101
01-02-2012, 09:25 PM
but can't you win any game in Madden if you have a good running game? that's the way it use to be. Denver does have a good running game.

To say Denver's running game is good is an understatement. It's probably one of the best iv'e seen in a long time. At least two of their running backs have gathered 80 yards a game in the past 3 weeks. Their running game is the ONLY thing i'd be worried about, but with this years run D being a bit off, it'll be tough to stop them.

Steel_Bus_24
01-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Its going to take a Herculean effort to overcome these injuries

This is just a real sh**y hand we've been dealt here.....no one has a tougher road to the SB then us

Make no mistake about it, the reason our pass D improved was because of the added speed we got from the young legs of new comers like Lewis and Allen..........And with Woodley hurting too, I would go as far to say that our D last year was better then our hobbled unit right now.

The whole team better get that Blood Thirsty Wolf mentality and focus that much more, because our level play these past weeks will not win us any games in the Playoffs....Everybody is going to have to take their games up another level for us to have a chance

I hope we're hungry enough to do so