PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall SchMendenhall

BlaZeQuietly
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I guess its a good thing that we redesigned our offense to run around big ben. Losing Mende is not that big of a blow, he really never got it going this season. Redman will do fine filling in for him. I really don't understand the overall pessimistic attitude about our feelings this year on this board. Is it just because we wasted an opportunity against the 49ers and got stuck with a 5th seed? Well in my opinion a game vs denver is as good as a bye week. And frankly I think it will be even more sweet to crush the Ravens hopes in baltimore than at home.... IMO...and BTW The Ruthlessburger will be ready to go for the playoffs, watch out weak ass AFC. SB here we come!:tt04::tt02::tt03::tt::tt02::tt04::tt::drink: :tt03::drink::tt:

tony hipchest
01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
i'll just pretend the OP is kidding. ben wont be right until atleast a months of rest. woodley may get out there but he is done for the year. we have lost moore, baron batch, mendenhall and other 2nd year 3rd string rb who is so nondescript i cant even remember his name offhand (must be the ADD).

our 2 rookie CB (and to ST players) are done and we wont have ryan clark.

yep... playing next week is a good thing. :rolleyes: i wonder who else we'll lose or have banged up going into baltimore. if were "lucky" maybe it will be troy.

Physical Presence
01-02-2012, 08:06 PM
i'll just pretend the OP is kidding. ben wont be right until atleast a months of rest. woodley may get out there but he is done for the year. we have lost moore, baron batch, mendenhall and other 2nd year 3rd string rb who is so nondescript i cant even remember his name offhand (must be the ADD).

our 2 rookie CB (and to ST players) are done and we wont have ryan clark.

yep... playing next week is a good thing. :rolleyes: i wonder who else we'll lose or have banged up going into baltimore. if were "lucky" maybe it will be troy.

+1!

BlaZeQuietly
01-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Dont worry buddy. Everything is going to be fine. Or maybe its the 10 valium I ate about a half hour ago when I heard mende tore his ACL, or maybe its the 4 kolonipin I ate when you informed me that we lost batch. :(

tony hipchest
01-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Dont worry buddy. Everything is going to be fine. Or maybe its the 10 valium I ate about a half hour ago when I heard mende tore his ACL, or maybe its the 4 kolonipin I ate when you informed me that we lost batch. :(

baron batch.

point is, weve lost 4 of the 6 RB's we went into camp with. dwyer is already on IR which is where mendenhall is heading to join baron. not sure moore will be any use to us since weve been going with the rookie out of wisconsin over him.

not too plased with the rash of fumblitis redman showed yesterday.

anybody we pick up off the street is gonna be garbage. the cowboys recently scraped the bottom of the dung heap just to get sylvester morris (or whatev er his name was).

no matter what anyone says, mendenhall is a top 10 back in this league. we'll be lucky to find somebody top 150 to replace him. :banging:

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
^^^^^
What he said.

Bayz101
01-02-2012, 08:40 PM
baron batch.

point is, weve lost 4 of the 6 RB's we went into camp with. dwyer is already on IR which is where mendenhall is heading to join baron. not sure moore will be any use to us since weve been going with the rookie out of wisconsin over him.

not too plased with the rash of fumblitis redman showed yesterday.

anybody we pick up off the street is gonna be garbage. the cowboys recently scraped the bottom of the dung heap just to get sylvester morris (or whatev er his name was).

no matter what anyone says, mendenhall is a top 10 back in this league. we'll be lucky to find somebody top 150 to replace him. :banging:

Yesterday was Redman's second time getting a significant amount of carries, and it was in relief of an injured Mendenhall. Mendenhall was quite a fumbler in his early days as well, so it's probably just something these young backs will have to grow out of. Redman will be a good starter for us. Not a Mendenhall, but good enough.

tanda10506
01-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Redman will get the job done and I think Clay can contribute with some power running. I'm not worried about it much. As for the question about the pessimistic attitude, we squandered 2 chances to take the division and have played like garbage on the road. Also half our team has been injured all year and still is. We also play down to almost all bad teams this year. There are things to be optimistic about, but they are outweighed by the problems.

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Yesterday was Redman's second time getting a significant amount of carries, and it was in relief of an injured Mendenhall. Mendenhall was quite a fumbler in his early days as well, so it's probably just something these young backs will have to grow out of. Redman will be a good starter for us. Not a Mendenhall, but good enough.
I guess we're just not going to see eye-to-eye on this. He's not a fumbler and he never has been a fumbler. He had three fumbles one year, for the entire year. That's nothing. Maurice Jones-Drew and Michael Turner each had three this year... no one would ever call either one of them a "fumbler".

ricardisimo
01-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I guess we're just not going to see eye-to-eye on this. He's not a fumbler and he never has been a fumbler. He had three fumbles one year, for the entire year. That's nothing. Maurice Jones-Drew and Michael Turner each had three this year... no one would ever call either one of them a "fumbler".

Ray Rice, who is considered the most sure-handed back in the league right now, has 6 for his entire career... exactly the same as Mendenhall.

ETL
01-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Maybe Hines Ward can play RB

harrison'samonster
01-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Maybe Hines Ward can play RB

YES! Chuck Norris will be his full-back. Even Bruce Arians couldn't mess that one up.

ETL
01-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Seriously, there was a typical "I am Mike Florio and I need attention so I will inflame in Steeler fans" article in profootballtalk.com about how the Steelers will be wavering regarding the future of Mendenhall with the Steelers.

This guy is only 24 years old! You would be idiotic to throw away a RB that has been productive in this league at age 24.

I saw him run hard during the first Browns game and its bad for us that he tore his ACL. I just hope that Redman can fill in adequately. (those fumbles will serve as a nice learning experience that did not cost us anything)

harrison'samonster
01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm hoping Redman's fumbles were just him not being prepared for Mendenhall being taken out like that. The weather was bad and he might not have been too focused with all the pressure on him.

Mendenhall is a very good running-back and has a lot of potential to be even better.

steeltheone
01-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Seriously, there was a typical "I am Mike Florio and I need attention so I will inflame in Steeler fans" article in profootballtalk.com about how the Steelers will be wavering regarding the future of Mendenhall with the Steelers.

This guy is only 24 years old! You would be idiotic to throw away a RB that has been productive in this league at age 24.

I saw him run hard during the first Browns game and its bad for us that he tore his ACL. I just hope that Redman can fill in adequately. (those fumbles will serve as a nice learning experience that did not cost us anything)It's a good question to ask...It's not that Mendy does not have value, but how much value? Esp when it come to salary cap football.

Bayz101
01-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Ray Rice, who is considered the most sure-handed back in the league right now, has 6 for his entire career... exactly the same as Mendenhall.

Your right. What I meant was, those fumbles Mendenhall did account for, all happened in a short time. It was early in his career, and it was something he didn't live down very easily. I recall some locker room pranks and 100$ per fumble jokes going around.

My point is, those few fumbles by Mendenhall came early, and since then, he's been near perfect. He's no longer considered a fumbler whatsoever. So with that ebing said, maybe what we saw out of Redman on Sunday was really just what Mendenhall went through in his first year early on?

But your absolutely right, Mendenhall's not a fumbler whatsoever. I was just pointing out that he made a few fumbles early on, and was comparing that to what Redman did on Sunday :hatsoff:

Bayz101
01-03-2012, 05:53 AM

I saw him run hard during the first Browns game and its bad for us that he tore his ACL. I just hope that Redman can fill in adequately. (those fumbles will serve as a nice learning experience that did not cost us anything)

Mendenhall ran for 900 yards behind a banged up, patchwork offensive line. He did a damn good job, and i'm sure if you brought in Peterson, Johnson, Foster or any of those guys their production wouldn't be nearly as good behind this line. I just don't see it happening.

steelfury02
01-03-2012, 08:41 AM
if we're talking pessimism - we want the Texans to prevail - that way if we do win, we will go to NE where a loss would not hurt anywhere near as much as seeing the stupid purple rat crap fans gushing over their first playoff win over us (versus an extremely hobbled Steelers team)

If we have to go to M&T and they beat us - you thought the gatorade bath in November was bad - Suggs might just take Harbaugh out on a date

Just please - no Ravens at this point. It woulds be one thing if we were healthy - but this would truly be rubbing dirt in our faces

FanSince72
01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
..If we have to go to M&T and they beat us - you thought the gatorade bath in November was bad - Suggs might just take Harbaugh out on a date...

http://www.sycaonline.org/images/Johnandterrell.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
01-03-2012, 10:59 AM
i bet arians gets a boner when he thinks of not having any running backs on the roster. then he wouldn't have to call those pesky running plays to keep the boss man happy.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I've saying since it happened, the loss of Mendy is a minor blow at most, and possibly a positive after the subpar season he had. Redman seems to gain a solid amount of yards every carry he gets, and he's very tough to bring down (see the game-winning TD at Baltimore last year.) I do hope we get Mewelde back, because one place where losing Mendy does hurt us is depth.

ricardisimo
01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I've saying since it happened, the loss of Mendy is a minor blow at most, and possibly a positive after the subpar season he had. Redman seems to gain a solid amount of yards every carry he gets, and he's very tough to bring down (see the game-winning TD at Baltimore last year.) I do hope we get Mewelde back, because one place where losing Mendy does hurt us is depth.
You people have selective memories. The only game Redman was named starter he averaged 3-something per carry. A couple of games he actually averaged negative yards (New England and San Fran, as I recall.)

The clock starts ticking now on just how many carries before you all start demanding that John Clay be named the starter. I think I might start a poll.

DanRooney
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I really wish we'd invest in a scat back type RB sometime. A Darren Sproles is exactly what this offense needs. Without Mendenhall, most of our big play potential is gone in the running game but at least Redman drives forward for positive yardage almost all the time.

Rick5895
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I really wish we'd invest in a scat back type RB sometime. A Darren Sproles is exactly what this offense needs. Without Mendenhall, most of our big play potential is gone in the running game but at least Redman drives forward for positive yardage almost all the time.

I agree with you on that. I think we have that back (hopefully) in B. Batch. Hopefully he will be 100% next season.

StainlessStill
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Personally, I prefer Redman's style over Mendenhall's right now for the sake of the team. The offensive line for the Steelers is in shambles and Ben is hobblin' all over the place. Having Redman, who is a bruising type-back, could be a blessing givin' our situation with injuries. We could actually beat teams down with Redman to give Ben a chance downfield. Other than that, it'll be VERY nice to see a Woodley/Harrison reunion on defense. They haven't played together since week 3. Pittsburgh's defiantly hurting but we have an entire team, on both sides of the ball, FULL of veteran leadership that simply knows how to win. We'll see where this week takes us but it's too late for DOOM AND GLOOM and how the sky is falling. It's go time.

stb_steeler
01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
i bet arians gets a boner when he thinks of not having any running backs on the roster. then he wouldn't have to call those pesky running plays to keep the boss man happy.

I thought we were a pass happy team anyway?.......:noidea:

BengalDestroyer
01-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Redman should do fine, hold on to that damn ball though. I know it was rainy/snowy, but sometimes you just got to go down. John Clay will step up to I think, the kid has a good work ethic and the perfect oppurtunity to show that he can be a player in the NFL. Also at 6'1" 250lbs., he's a load to take down...

With that said, playing Denver won't a walk in the park like everyone thinks. If that is anyone's true opinion of Sundays matchup wouldn't Cleaveland have been a walk in the park. It also sucks because of injury report and the undeniable fact that more key players could go down.

Lets win this game get a nice head of steam started, get some guys healthy and go from there....

BengalDestroyer
01-03-2012, 03:16 PM

That was supposed to be Baron Batch's job, check out his college numbers...

Fire Arians
01-03-2012, 03:16 PM

baron batch was supposed to be that guy. too bad he was IR'ed, i was excited to see what he could give us

Kanata-Steeler
01-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I guess its a good thing that we redesigned our offense to run around big ben. Losing Mende is not that big of a blow, he really never got it going this season. Redman will do fine filling in for him. I really don't understand the overall pessimistic attitude about our feelings this year on this board. Is it just because we wasted an opportunity against the 49ers and got stuck with a 5th seed? Well in my opinion a game vs denver is as good as a bye week. And frankly I think it will be even more sweet to crush the Ravens hopes in baltimore than at home.... IMO...and BTW The Ruthlessburger will be ready to go for the playoffs, watch out weak ass AFC. SB here we come!:tt04::tt02::tt03::tt::tt02::tt04::tt::drink: :tt03::drink::tt:

First off, our Offense has been re-designed around Ben since we got him -where have YOU been man ? (Ariens is an idiot -but that's another story)

I guess you mean, after Redman stops dropping balls like he did twice, just in that Browns game. ?
Look, Mendy is NOT as bad as you wanna make him uselessly to appear.
Mendy will be missed, and he is always a good potential running-threat.
why do 'ya post this trash I dunno ?
But ya, in the SB against GB that one fumble by Mendy hurt us big time, -I'll agree with that.