PDA

View Full Version : "All" Tebow or "Some" Tebow?

FanSince72
01-03-2012, 11:53 AM
I think Tebow's act has been pretty much figured out by most of the league by now and his declining stats (and wins) is proving that.

I think that if Fox has any realistic expectations of beating us or any other team, he's going to have to change things around. If I were Dick LeBeau, I would be game-planning against setups that include Brady Quinn playing QB from time to time as well as plays where Quinn is the QB and Tebow is a RB or possibly a receiver as well.

Now Quinn is certainly no Joe Montana, but I think he CAN throw like a real QB and he doesn't need a career game. All he'll need are some timely completions to keep us honest and then play whatever role he has to play with Tebow either in the backfield or lined up for a pass route.

Fox has to realize by now that this Tebow option, runner, passer thing isn't working anymore and I think he's going to try to mix things up by using Quinn in a number of ways so that we won't be seeing "all Tebow all the time". Fox knows he can't win with just Tebow alone - especially if we get up on them early and he's forced to pass - and so I would not be surprised to see Quinn in there like Cowher used to do with Tomczak and Cordell.

Thoughts?

grward
01-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I can't think of a running QB yet that has been a huge success in the NFL. There were some that were hit and miss. There were some that were stellar in the regular season but did nothing in the post season. But there has yet to be an elite running QB.

I agree that teams are catching on to him. The shiny new toy isn't so shiny anymore! Harrison and co will make sure of that!

tanda10506
01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Fox isn't going to move away from Tebow in this game. Tebow has received almost all the credit for getting them there and they designed there offense around his style of play. At this point they would be worse without him.

Fire Arians
01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I can't think of a running QB yet that has been a huge success in the NFL. There were some that were hit and miss. There were some that were stellar in the regular season but did nothing in the post season. But there has yet to be an elite running QB.

I agree that teams are catching on to him. The shiny new toy isn't so shiny anymore! Harrison and co will make sure of that!

cam newton will be interesting, he might be the first one to pull it off. he's got a crazy level of talent.

but tebow's not on that level.

TRH
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
As far as the media goes, its still going to be "All" Tebow...at least until after this game. They're just dying for him to pull one out from Pittsburgh. You'll barely even know Pittsburgh is playing.

He's had some INSANE luck in that string of victories, too, though. Case in point, i believe it was the Bears game, where all they had to do was run out the clock, and their idiot running back went out-of-bounds when all he had to do was fall down in bounds and game, essentially over. Then....on the next possession, the same running back fumbled the ball back to the Broncos and they were right there and scored and won. THAT was luck. But after the game, all you heard about was Tebow and how he "made it happen", when in fact, he really didn't...

TAmes
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Fox isn't going to move away from Tebow in this game. Tebow has received almost all the credit for getting them there and they designed there offense around his style of play. At this point they would be worse without him.

+1

Considering Quinn's track record, and the fact that he hasn't thrown a regular season pass this year, I think it would be very risky for Fox to insert him in the lineup, even as a "change of pace" QB.

nyuknyuk
01-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Elway? Vick? Not sure what you mean by "elite running QB."

nyuknyuk
01-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I think Tebow's act has been pretty much figured out by most of the league by now and his declining stats (and wins) is proving that.

I think this is off-base. Denver is still gobbling up huge chunks of ground yards, though not as much as they did due to backfield injuries. Receivers have been dropping lots of catchable balls. Several occasions Tebow got greedy and tried to force it deep into double and triple coverage ignoring closer guys who were open. Top receivers from last year have been traded. Those left not always so hot.

They tend to be inconsistent and flat much of the game. You'll see this again Sunday.

I think that if Fox has any realistic expectations of beating us or any other team, he's going to have to change things around. If I were Dick LeBeau, I would be game-planning against setups that include Brady Quinn playing QB from time to time as well as plays where Quinn is the QB and Tebow is a RB or possibly a receiver as well.

They're not going to gut the offense and essentially install a new system for Quinn to run. Not gonna happen.

Fox has to realize by now that this Tebow option, runner, passer thing isn't working anymore and I think he's going to try to mix things up by using Quinn in a number of ways so that we won't be seeing "all Tebow all the time". Fox knows he can't win with just Tebow alone - especially if we get up on them early and he's forced to pass - and so I would not be surprised to see Quinn in there like Cowher used to do with Tomczak and Cordell.

Of course not. There's no such thing as a one-man team. Tebow is working from a disadvantage this year: he was left to rot on the bench last season with zero practice reps even as #2 QB. He had no offseason work with coaches and teammates. We've had several key injuries from the height of the option game: #1 RB is hobbled, #2 RB out with leg fracture. We just lost our best offensive lineman to a leg fracture as well.

cam newton will be interesting, he might be the first one to pull it off. he's got a crazy level of talent.

but tebow's not on that level.

Must be why Cam was Tebow's backup at Florida...

+1

Considering Quinn's track record, and the fact that he hasn't thrown a regular season pass this year, I think it would be very risky for Fox to insert him in the lineup, even as a "change of pass" QB.

True, thus it won't happen. You don't mess with the works like that this late in the year.

Fire Arians
01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Must be why Cam was Tebow's backup at Florida...

yeah must be why tom brady was a backup to brian griese, everyone knows tom brady sucks.

BengalDestroyer
01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
30/73 passing, 4 int., 5 fumbles in his last three games... not impressed mr. nyuknyuk!

nyuknyuk
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
30/73 passing, 4 int., 5 fumbles in his last three games... not impressed mr. nyuknyuk!

I think I've covered this pretty much already, although I didn't mention a gradual reversion to conservative playcalling which is pissing off lots of fans. Denver is still #1 in rushing offense, btw.

And I'm not a Mr.

FanSince72
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
...They're not going to gut the offense and essentially install a new system for Quinn to run. Not gonna happen...

First of all, no matter what Fox does it probably won't be enough to beat us.

But to address this particular point, I'm not suggesting that Fox "gut" anything.
I'm suggesting a handful of plays and / or formations in which Quinn exists (with or without Tebow) to throw some new wrinkles into what is fast becoming a stale offense.

Coaches routinely change things up like that and they don't "gut the offense and essentially install a new system" to do it.
In fact Fox did a lot more than that to accommodate Tebow in a very short time frame and in light of that, adding a few plays for one game would be child's play by comparison.

nyuknyuk
01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
First of all, no matter what Fox does it probably won't be enough to beat us.

But to address this particular point, I'm not suggesting that Fox "gut" anything.
I'm suggesting a handful of plays and / or formations in which Quinn exists (with or without Tebow) to throw some new wrinkles into what is fast becoming a stale offense.

Coaches routinely change things up like that and they don't "gut the offense and essentially install a new system" to do it.
In fact Fox did a lot more than that to accommodate Tebow in a very short time frame and in light of that, adding a few plays for one game would be child's play by comparison.

Would not switching out QBs at the least disrupt the rhythm of the offense? At any rate, that's never been done here by Fox. At best was the stupid Tebow package plays where he'd run one up the gut for 2 yards and go sit back down. I can't imagine such plays making much a difference. IMO Fox just did the Tebow package crap to shut up the fans because we were tired of Orton choking inside the 20s and probably couldn't hear his headphones due to the TE-BOW chants.

StainlessStill
01-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I think I've covered this pretty much already, although I didn't mention a gradual reversion to conservative playcalling which is pissing off lots of fans. Denver is still #1 in rushing offense, btw.

And I'm not a Mr.

Lets use logic. With Tebow completing a DAUNTING 41% of his pass's in the last month or so, and like BengalDestroyer already pointing out, going 30/73 passing, 4 int., 5 fumbles in his last three games, don't you think the conservative play-calling is pissing off fans because it simply just..... doesn't exist?

The quarterback in your system is SO BAD that the head coach had to nix the entire playbook and put in Florida's playbook! What a laugh. Denver put in Tebow only because they felt the pressure to make a move. Even John Elway, in the midst of winning, was smart enough to go looking for actual quarterbacks. Tebow is exposed. Him winning on that win streak had everything to do with the other team than it did Touchdown Jesus.

Buddha Bus
01-03-2012, 04:43 PM
yeah must be why tom brady was a backup to brian griese, everyone knows tom brady sucks.

And Joe Flacco transferred out of Pitt to Delaware because he sat behind Tyler Palko who, obviously, ended up being the far superior NFL QB. :popcorn:

Curtain_of_Steel
01-03-2012, 08:34 PM
All Tebow has to do is move them to within 65 yard field goal range each time, lol. If Prather is hot, thats 21-24 points from him alone and tebow barely crosses the 50, lol

Tebow should not pass on us, he hasnt passed on anyone yet. with the 3-4 we should be able to spy on him in the short routes and peel of the coverage if he starts to run. I think a 4-3 would have more issues, but we should contain him enough to make him throw into coverage for some picks.