PDA

View Full Version : WE ALL LOVED BETTIS

nicesteel4life
06-25-2006, 01:41 PM
I realize that we all LOVED Bettis.
He will soon be in the Hall of Fame, under the Steelers list of Inducties
BUT
He is retired! I know it's hard to realize it for many young BLACK N GOLD faithfulls
I myself get a tear everytime I think about the loss of THE BETTIS SHOW, the loyalty to his FANS, the advice in the locker room to other players, And most of all the BUS chant as well as the Bettis Dance after a long run. I figured we need to start a thread of our MEMORIES of the man WE all called the BUS!!!! It's parked and wont be coming back.
So lets speak our minds and share our thoughts on a man, given to us by the Rams, who is what Steeler Football used to mean. Unfortunetly We all need to move on, just like he has.
SALUTE! BUS .....Were gonna miss ya!

SteelCzar76
06-25-2006, 01:47 PM
"Salud"

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Well my best memories of the "Bus" its kind of hard to narrow them down to a few. But both were in 1996 his first year with the Steelers. The monday night game against the Bills that year at Three Rivers sticks out in my mind. Jerome just ran through the Bills defense like a wet paper bag that night. The other game that year was when we played the Rams and Jerome showed his old team just what they were going to miss for the next 10 years.

There are so many more memories that stick out as well. The snow game against the Bears at Heinz last year. Which was Jerome's last 100 yard game of his career. In, 2004 when Duce Staley was injured and Jerome started in his place for the Eagles game and tore up the Eagles defense. Jerome never looked back and started the rest of the year in 2004.

SteelCzar76
06-25-2006, 01:52 PM
His First Game against the Rams stands out to me. Cowher pulled him early,..it was the equivalent of a ref stopping a terribly one sided prizefight. Bussy was killin em. LOL

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"

thejim
06-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm a huge Irish fan, so I remember going wild when I heard about the draft day trade for him on ESPN.

MyCuz64Furness
06-25-2006, 02:16 PM
I loved when he would break free and get a big run.....he would do his little steppin dance just to let everyone know he would not be held down

Indy_Steelers
06-25-2006, 02:34 PM
My most recent one was rolling over Brian Urlacher on the way to the end zone. last year throwing a TD against the Jets. And a few years ago catching a shovel pass against the jags in OT to win it.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 04:08 PM
My most recent one was rolling over Brian Urlacher on the way to the end zone. last year throwing a TD against the Jets. And a few years ago catching a shovel pass against the jags in OT to win it.

Yes, Bus rolling over Brian Urlacher was great. Especially since most of my friends are Bears fans. I called them when it happen and said what happen to your boy Brian there. He got ran over by the Bus.

Elvis
06-25-2006, 04:44 PM
My most memorable moments were seeing his face as he fell into the endzone in Indianapolis as he fumbled. I am so greatful that things went the way they did. I loved every moment that he was in Pittsburgh and I wish him the very best in life. Good Luck Bussey!!!!
God Bless All
Elvis
Anyone like my 2 children on the left? hheheheheheee

HometownGal
06-25-2006, 06:47 PM
My favorite memories of Jerome aren't football related.

Jerome was a great RB, a great teammate and just a great man. I volunteer at Childrens Hospital here in the Burgh several times a month reading and spending time with terminally ill children and Jerome was a frequent visitor to these angels, making them smile and giving each of them a little piece of that heart of gold he possesses.

I know I am going to cry like a baby when the Steelers run out onto the field the first time in the upcoming season and No. 36 isn't there. :crying03:

Jerome - you will be sorely missed, but we'll never forget you. Not in a million years. :smile:

clevestinks
06-25-2006, 08:21 PM
I`m looking forward to going to Canton, but I`m also looking forward to life after the Bus, lets get it on!

Steelillini
06-25-2006, 09:08 PM
that infectious smile he always had. None of us were his teammates but I know if I was he would be the guy you look up to. My two favorite Bus Lights are the Urlacher pancake this past year and a quote he had during his first year in the Burgh. He said that running for the Steelers was like running downhill.

Well Jerome you ran downhill for 10 years and at the bottom of that hill was a Super Bowl win. Congrats on being one of the alltime best Steelers. I too hope to be in Canton when you get inducted.

section514
06-25-2006, 09:48 PM
I think you guys will like this, i made this prior to the super bowl...

warning, this video will either make you cry or pump you up like you wouldn't believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFT5Sve04A

CowherLover
06-25-2006, 10:10 PM
i'm speechless, when it comes to Jerome I will miss him dearly like everyone else. It leaves an empty feeling that won't be filled until the season starts, I hope. Kind of feels like losing a limb, lol.

HburgXL06
06-25-2006, 11:28 PM

warning, this video will either make you cry or pump you up like you wouldn't believe

Loved that vid!

BuFu

floodcitygirl
06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Among other things, I loved watching him cross the line with 2 or 3 guys hanging off of him like he was carring around little kids! Pick a game. Any game! :smile:

nicesteel4life
06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Another GREAT Video from Section514 ......... Check out my SIGNATURE he made!!!

section514
06-26-2006, 09:17 AM
thanks for the props on the vid, it still makes me tingle inside

SteelersMongol
06-26-2006, 01:01 PM
The Bus is one of the reasons I started to love and respect the Steelers. Now my daughter knows the Bus, and can sing "Wheels of the Bus ..." I just loved the guy. Everytime I see that fumble (you know which) and see his face, I always remember that day I felt so sad. But Heaven smiled upon us. One of my favorite part is the one where he just run over Urlacher. Ha ha ha. And then there is the one where 4 or 5 Bengals were just trying to stop him. I always picture that one in my head as if actual 4 Bengal Tigers trying to get him, but he just won't care. :) It would be nice if some of you guys can make digital thingy with that scene. I'm hoping to see him someday. I must. :)

SteelerFanInCA
06-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I loved it when opposing players would attempt to tackle him high. It was pretty funny watching players bounce off him like fleas.

ARKIESTEEL
06-26-2006, 01:29 PM
There is not much I could add to what has already been said but one of my all time favorite plays was 2 years ago me and the wife went to Dallas to watch the Steelers and the cowboys play. The Bus was on the sideline most of the game well we had the ball if I recall right on the 2 and here comes The Bus man the crowd went wild(Steeler fans might have been 40% of the crowd just a guess) The ball gets snaped Dallas throws everthing but the hot dog vendor right at the middle of the line as Big Ben hands the ball to The Bus and the big boy joged around the left end of the line trips in the end zone falls down gets up and goes back to the sidelies to finish eating his cupcakes. I almost cried

HburgXL06
06-26-2006, 02:16 PM
All I gotta say: I loved watchin people "ride" the BUS as he dragged them to stop no. 7.

BuFu

X-Terminator
06-26-2006, 02:29 PM
I always loved and admired his perserverance, his drive to prove the doubters wrong. The Bears game last season was a prime example. There were so many who thought he was done, that he'd never be able to run on the "New Monsters of the Midway." All he did was go out there and hammer them into the ground like the Cubs on a Thursday afternoon, and helped lay the foundation for the greatest championship run in NFL history. :tt02:

Good luck Jerome, and may you someday make it to the HOF in a different profession! :cheers:

Cap
06-27-2006, 06:11 AM
I think the one thing I loved most about our beloved Bus was the absolute and total team player he was. When Willie Parker came along and made the Bus the #2 guy, he took Willie under his wing and mentored him and showed him the ropes on how to be a great runner. He did it with style, grace and humbleness. He never whined because he became the #2 guy. I think that is the one thing that will stick with me about him forever.

We sure will miss him. On the field and off. There is no presence quite like Bussey's was. I hope that his retirement will be as blessed as we all were for having the pure pleasure of "knowing" and watching the man affectionately known as "The Bus." There is only ONE. :smile:

melroseplace
06-27-2006, 06:57 PM
so obviously I'll miss seeing him on the field but I'll definitely miss The Jerome Bettis Show as well. I only discovered it last year and made it to some tapings. I had a blast all three times (met Hines twice & Heath Miller once)...never got to personally meet Jerome but what a great guy to be around, he has an awesome personality

ben2hines=6
06-27-2006, 11:52 PM
i love the highlight of the bus running over that bumngal db they always show during past football highlights

nicesteel4life
06-28-2006, 10:35 AM
So Glad I started the thread....has brought alot of memories out that need to remain in all our minds! We truly will miss the man, the legend, the leader "THE BUS"

Hines86Ward
06-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I loved his attitude. When the world was doubting him, he'd always pull through. He'd get benched for Amos Zeroque, Duce Staley, Willie Parker, Richard Huntley, etc etc & then he'd get his chance to come off the bench and do his thing. And he was successful every time. He never gave up, he never quit, because he knew that he'd eventually get that ring. And look at him now, an icon to the football world with his shiny new SuperBowl XL ring and his big smile. He was an amazing guy on the field & an even better guy off the field....

section514
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
i have a video online that i got while watching Cold Pizza....if you don't already hate skip bayless, then you will after watching this video http://www.youtube.com/w/SKip-Bayless-talking-trash-on-Bettis?v=nZPD_Xq3nkE

nicesteel4life
06-28-2006, 02:51 PM
i have a video online that i got while watching Cold Pizza....if you don't already hate skip bayless, then you will after watching this video http://www.youtube.com/w/SKip-Bayless-talking-trash-on-Bettis?v=nZPD_Xq3nkE

SKIP BAYLESS is a ASS....No other way to put it. I truly think the statement at the end " I am so glad your not on that Committe" Was a easy way not to jump out of SEAT and level him. I could see fire coming out his eyes.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2006, 01:08 PM

most excellent..thank you

section514
06-29-2006, 11:59 PM
SKIP BAYLESS is a ASS....No other way to put it. I truly think the statement at the end " I am so glad your not on that Committe" Was a easy way not to jump out of SEAT and level him. I could see fire coming out his eyes.

i need to get a tshirt that says skip bayless is a douche bag:sofunny:

NV STEELERS 723
06-30-2006, 12:48 AM
I wish Bettis could have played with us all his NFL career.....he'd be the all - time NFL rusher!

DIESELMAN
06-30-2006, 04:42 AM
No guts No glory to me best describes his attitude and game face. The consummate professional, the ultimate warrior. THANK YOU JEROME!!!!!

HometownGal
06-30-2006, 08:30 AM
i need to get a tshirt that says skip bayless is a douche bag:sofunny:

If I can find a place around here who will do a shirt like that, 514, I want one too. I'll even spring for yours. :smile: What a weasel. :rolleyes:

section514
06-30-2006, 09:42 AM
If I can find a place around here who will do a shirt like that, 514, I want one too. I'll even spring for yours. :smile: What a weasel. :rolleyes:http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8838/untitled3nc.jpg
close enough for now its not bad for a piant job

nicesteel4life
06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Great one!