PDA

View Full Version : Steeler's Offseason

Lyn
06-25-2006, 06:53 PM
This offseason was always going to be different fot the simple fact that they are now the hunted and not the hunter. There is always going to be an added spotlight on the Champs and that was something they were going to have to deal with anyway. But now with the roster losses, Ben's accident and with Santonio Holmes's inexplicable and unforeseen legal problems that spotlight is going to be even stronger. Ultimately it's down to the players - how big have their heads swollen over the summer after becoming champs and all the distractions that come with it? Are they satisfied? How badly do they want it? I don't think any coach can pull a team round on those questions, it's up to the individuals to answer the bell and the loss of leadership that a Bettis or a Von Oelhoffen provided doesn't help either.

No one will spell doom and gloom at this stage but I'm interested to see how it develops and just where the focus of the players is as the season approaches.

Stlrs4Life
06-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah true. But that's why we play the game. And hopefully the team will respond to it well.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Yea its been a interesting offseason thats for sure. But I think Cowher will get this team whipped into shape. If Ben has no setbacks and gets his timing with the offense in time for the opener. I really see the Steelers starting off real strong. I think Santonio hurt himself for playing with his recent arrests. Hopefully he puts all that stuff behind and focuses on becoming an NFL player instead of a jail bird.

The great thing the defense to me will be better then ever. Sure lossing Kemo and Hope could hurt. But I think Keisel is far better pass rusher then Kemo. Chris Hope was a good player but is replaceable. I like Ryan Clark and think he can replace Hope. The thing I'm excited about is our young secondary and the improement they showed last year. So I think if the defense has to carry the load early if the offense struggles with Ben maybe not having his timing with his recievers. I think the defense can carry the team. So I still see us as a top team in the AFC entering the season.

clevestinks
06-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Its been an up and down off season for sure. We lost our rock in Bettis, then we lost El and Kimo to links in the chain but really nothing major. We moved up in the draft to get Holmes and we were all pretty excited, so far he has let us own two fold. We were all looking foward to Ben finally being healthy, a long off season no more injured thumb or Knee, then the accident. Up and Down. The bigggest thing to me, or the UP, is we didn`t lose any of our coaching staff, we used to lose a coach a year, now we fianlly won the big one and the coaching staff is in tact, big Up! Big Down to me is Holmes if he did physically assault a female, as a son, father , brother , and husband, I would have ZERO respect for him, lets hope he didn`t, but the fact that he has apologized looks bad.

Up and Down. sort of like last season, lets hope its the same story book ending!

tony hipchest
06-25-2006, 07:54 PM
plenty of teams have won the sb with less leadership the steelers have. it is a bit over rated, especially when you have a surplus of it. at no time during the season will players be looking to the sidelines to see jerome, kimo, hope, or el. they were all well liked locker room players. but the steelers dont get paid to hold a locker room popularity contest.

out with the old, in with the new. departures will not hold this team back.

thejim
06-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Frequent departures are a fact of life in the salary cap era NFL. Different guys will step up and fill the vacant leadership roles.

nicesteel4life
06-25-2006, 11:16 PM
THIS IS IN REPLY TO LYN'S START of the THREAD

TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!
First off Oelhoffen was NO defensive leader, he played well but easily replaced with youth and speed. Second Bettis was a leader in the locker room but as the season progressed he passed that torch to Hines and Ben. Actually the year before it was passed, who got Bettis to give one more year....Hines and Ben.
To say Coach Cowher cant pull the team around is INSANE! I usually agree with bunches of your posts but I think this was a horriable read of character. Listen The STEELERS were finished last year after the lose to the Bungals, do you think Cowher got them thinking? COMON! They All got on the same page. They played every game like it was the last. If anything Cowher proved that he is in a Elite Class of Coaches. I apologize for thinking your wrong on this but YA REALLY ARE! Please Steelers Fever Members back me on this?

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Her questions are all valid. Bettis was a lockerroom leader but he did pass the torch. Kimo will be missed in the run defense but I don't think he will be irreplacable. Only time will tell about how they handle the success and how much they hunger for more. Cowher, I believe, will be able to get the focus back on the prize...XLI

nicesteel4life
06-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Her questions are all valid. Bettis was a lockerroom leader but he did pass the torch. Kimo will be missed in the run defense but I don't think he will be irreplacable. Only time will tell about how they handle the success and how much they hunger for more. Cowher, I believe, will be able to get the focus back on the prize...XLI

I wasent questioning the Valadation of her questions. I wasn't Slamming her for the comment. I was basically stating my opinion which YOU answered the same way I did.....

Elvis
06-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Morning everyone.. In my opinion on this subject, I think we will be fine at DE with Keisel he has played pretty well when he has gotten to play. He is a little faster I dont know how his heart is though, that is what matters to me
At RB I love fastwillie but I dont know if he is Really what we need there for the future starter. I would have liked to have seen us take a RB a little earlier in the draft but I also dont believe that Duce is finished. He is still talented and not too old to lead our team if asked upon.. I honestly think we made a big mistake by taking Holmes number 1 though.
God Bless All
Elvis

HometownGal
06-26-2006, 08:05 AM
I also think Lyn poses some very valid and interesting questions here.

When any team wins that Lombardi, they become the target - everyone wants to beat the Super Bowl champs. I think the fact that Super Bowl XL was the Steelers fifth SB win for the organization, the bullseye on their backs becomes even larger. With this team, however, I don't just look at the fact that they won the Super Bowl - I look at how they got there and all of the hard work, drive, determination and teamwork that got them to the big game. While the Bungles, Colts, Broncs and Seahags talked the talk, the Steelers walked the walk. They pretty much ignored all of the hype and went out there and played ball Pittsburgh Steelers style. Bill Cowher is a master motivator but because he is also widely viewed as a player's coach, I really believe he will keep his team focused and ready to compete each and every week. I think this team, even with the absences of El, Kimo and Jerome, can and will focus on their purpose - to win football games and get to Super Bowl XLI this season.

section514
06-26-2006, 08:14 AM
peezy and hines will control the locker room

Lyn
06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
THIS IS IN REPLY TO LYN'S START of the THREAD

TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!
First off Oelhoffen was NO defensive leader, he played well but easily replaced with youth and speed. Second Bettis was a leader in the locker room but as the season progressed he passed that torch to Hines and Ben. Actually the year before it was passed, who got Bettis to give one more year....Hines and Ben.
To say Coach Cowher cant pull the team around is INSANE! I usually agree with bunches of your posts but I think this was a horriable read of character. Listen The STEELERS were finished last year after the lose to the Bungals, do you think Cowher got them thinking? COMON! They All got on the same page. They played every game like it was the last. If anything Cowher proved that he is in a Elite Class of Coaches. I apologize for thinking your wrong on this but YA REALLY ARE! Please Steelers Fever Members back me on this?

I do not post for a popularity contest. Do you give everyone who does not agree with you neg rep? This is a forum, where everyone's opinion matters. You don't agree with me, fine, but why the negative reputation? The questions I asked are thought provoking. Where did I read Joey Porter will now be the D leader? LOL sorry from what I have seen he would not be my choice for a D leader. Which is my humble opinion and last time I checked I still had that right.

nicesteel4life
06-26-2006, 11:33 AM
I do not post for a popularity contest. Do you give everyone who does not agree with you neg rep? This is a forum, where everyone's opinion matters. You don't agree with me, fine, but why the negative reputation? The questions I asked are thought provoking. Where did I read Joey Porter will now be the D leader? LOL sorry from what I have seen he would not be my choice for a D leader. Which is my humble opinion and last time I checked I still had that right.

There! Dont want the woman in here not to support me. Sorry, but I thought it was more a Statement than a opinion, But I guess my opinion was a statement in your eyes. Sorry

Lyn
06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
There! Dont want the woman in here not to support me. Sorry, but I thought it was more a Statement than a opinion, But I guess my opinion was a statement in your eyes. Sorry

Your opinion is not a statement, in my eyes.