PDA

View Full Version : History will only go so far for Steelers

mesaSteeler
01-04-2012, 07:07 AM
The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/01/03/history-will-only-go-so-far-for-steelers/

History will only go so far for Steelers
January 3rd, 2012

Nine of the 22 Steelers’ starters were here in 2005 when Pittsburgh became the first team to win the Super Bowl as a No. 6 seed in the playoffs.

A number of other key players from the team that won three-straight road games before beating Seattle in the Super Bowl are still here, including Hines Ward, Larry Foote and Bryant McFadden.

But as the Steelers try to become the fourth team since 2005 to win the Super Bowl as a wild-card team they are aware that history won’t block Von Miller in Denver, tackle Ray Rice in Baltimore or cover Rob Gronkowski in New England.

“This is a new team and a new year,” said tight end Heath Miller, who was a rookie on the team that won its final eighth games in 2005, with six of those victories coming away from Heinz Field. “I am sure it will be good stuff for you guys to write about this week. It has no bearing on what is going to happen this weekend.”

Or beyond.

And the only way the Steelers will play again at Heinz Field this season is if they advance to the AFC title game as the No. 5 seed and the sixth-seeded Bengals also make it that far.

A lasting Kardashian marriage is a safer bet than that scenario playing out.
There is value to what the Steelers accomplished in 2005, going on the road in the playoffs and winning, but James Farrior acknowledged it is limited.

“The only comforting thing is that we’ve done it before,” the Steelers’ defensive captain said. “That could help us in the locker room. I don’t know if it’s going to help us on the field.”

What would help the Steelers is if they do a better job of running the ball and stopping the run on the road than they did during the regular season.

The Steelers averaged 137.9 rushing yards at home this season and 100 away from Heinz Field. They gave up an average of 88.3 rushing yards at home, but that number swelled to 111.4 in road games.

That discrepancy doesn’t preclude the Steelers from making a lengthy postseason run. But it may not bode well for them either.

“I have faith in this group,” left tackle Max Starks said, “that we can be dominating whether we are at home or on the road.”

We’ll find out soon enough.

– Scott Brown

tanda10506
01-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Exactly! I've felt that this team has thought it was a given that they would be in the playoffs, thus the lack of intensity throughout the year. As Miller said, it starts over every year, time to either step up and put the 2011 team in history also, or play like we have been and just watch the SB on the couch. Let's go Steelers!!!!

OX1947
01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
History has nothing to do with this year. This team is beat up and beat up in the key areas. Reminds me a lot of the 2007 team. The fact that they are 12-4 shows how good their execution is as a team. However, Big Ben on one leg, Lamarr on one leg, losing your number 1 running back and knick knack injuries to a lot of the team, it will be hard for this team to go deep in the playoffs.

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
The fact that they are 12-4 shows how good their execution is as a team.

Or how weak the schedule has been

By my count this team has played three complete games well this year, all of which were at home - Tennessee, New England and Cincinnati

If the Steelers were in jeopardy of losing on the road at Indy, KC and Cleveland with the rotten QBs for those 3 teams a loss to Denver with Tebow (or Brady Quinn coming out of the bullpen) is more than a remote possibility

FanSince72
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
History has nothing to do with any of this.

The only relevant issue we face is being ahead of the other team by one or more points when the game clock reaches "00:00".

Once that's done, then THAT will become history and will thus have no relevance in regard to the NEXT game and it goes on that way from there.

Sixburgher
01-05-2012, 11:34 AM

The only relevant issue we face is being ahead of the other team by one or more points when the game clock reaches "00:00".

Exactly. The regular season goes out the window at this point. Everyone still playing is 0-0 right now.

grward
01-05-2012, 12:05 PM
We all saw how much history helped them in the Super Bowl last year. AND how it hurt the Packers since they didn't have a history of being there. Nuff said.

TRH
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
i have NO idea how we have a 12-4 record. Should be about 8-6 and thats about how good of a team we really are....mostly due to the outrageous number of injuries.

Fire Arians
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Or how weak the schedule has been

By my count this team has played three complete games well this year, all of which were at home - Tennessee, New England and Cincinnati

If the Steelers were in jeopardy of losing on the road at Indy, KC and Cleveland with the rotten QBs for those 3 teams a loss to Denver with Tebow (or Brady Quinn coming out of the bullpen) is more than a remote possibility

people might disagree but we were not in jeopardy of losing to the browns last week. no way they were going to score on our D. of course it shouldn't have been that close, if redman didn't fumble 2 times. i don't see that happening again though.

about KC, arrowhead isn't the easiest place to play. the packers lost there you know

bornaSteelersfan
01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
i have NO idea how we have a 12-4 record. Should be about 8-6 and thats about how good of a team we really are....mostly due to the outrageous number of injuries.

I see it the other way. We should be 14-2 right now. We were extremely close to beating the Ravens and should have beaten the 49ers as well if we simply either started Batch or went with the same plan we did against the Patriots.

I think like Tomlin said, every player on the bench is a "starter-in-waiting". "The standard is the standard". I really believe that the guys coming off the bench (or off the couch for some) are going to drive this play-off team directly to the SB. Those guys have something to prove and suddenly have an incredible stage to do just that.

GO STEELERS!

:tt04: :tt05: :tt04:

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2012, 01:20 PM
people might disagree but we were not in jeopardy of losing to the browns last week. no way they were going to score on our D. of course it shouldn't have been that close, if redman didn't fumble 2 times. i don't see that happening again though.

about KC, arrowhead isn't the easiest place to play. the packers lost there you know

Cleveland threw an incomplete pass into the end zone from the Steelers 24 to end the game - that counts as jeopardy to me:noidea:

But if you score only 13 points (as was the case in KC and Cleveland) it is not surprising the other team is within striking range at the end of the game

tanda10506
01-05-2012, 04:38 PM
We weren't even close to beating the Niners, there wasn't a moment in that game where we had the momentum, nor was there a play made by our team the entire game that would make you think they had a chance. I agree that we have really only played 3 complete games this year. You could make the argument that a few of the wins against bottom feeders could have been blowouts if it wasn't for a few things, like Redman's two fumbles last week. Problem is it doesn't change anything, you either do or you don't, and if you don't in the playoffs then your going home. It doesn't seem like this team has that "have to win" pumped up, playing with heart style attitude. When they get ahead they let off the throttle, sometimes they show up in the first half and not the second, other times they show in the second but not the first, they play down to everybody, it's just strange to see not a single player fired up but once or twice this year. I think that leads to a lot of "could of's".

ricardisimo
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I see it the other way. We should be 14-2 right now. We were extremely close to beating the Ravens and should have beaten the 49ers as well if we simply either started Batch or went with the same plan we did against the Patriots.

I think like Tomlin said, every player on the bench is a "starter-in-waiting". "The standard is the standard". I really believe that the guys coming off the bench (or off the couch for some) are going to drive this play-off team directly to the SB. Those guys have something to prove and suddenly have an incredible stage to do just that.

GO STEELERS!

:tt04: :tt05: :tt04:
I'll grant you the second Rats game, but the 49ers game wasn't even close. No point in speculating what would have happened if we would have used a different game plan. If only we had done everything perfectly all season long we'd be 16-0 right now.

Furthermore, we probably should have lost a few that we won by your same reasoning (Colts game at least), all of which averages us right back to 12-4, more or less.

Had we won the second Ravens game, all of this would be moot. We didn't, and here we are.

bornaSteelersfan
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM
OK, so maybe I liked our chances better against the 49ers than the score would have you believe. We were moving the ball well that game without the INT's. One stupid leaping call and a fumble that should have been called "tuck rule" and the game would/may have been ours. Aside from berating me for posting that, I still believe the second part of what I wrote.

nyuknyuk
01-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Once that's done, then THAT will become history and will thus have no relevance in regard to the NEXT game and it goes on that way from there.

True. You can't ride to your future on history.

FanSince72
01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
True. You can't ride to your future on history.

Deep...