PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Ankle Tweaked, per Bouchette

saveus1011
01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/edbouchette

It's the first tweet. Mark Kaboly's reporting it on his feed too.

Well, not feeling good about this one.

harrison'samonster
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah, that's bad news. Batch should be able to beat Denver, but they're going to have to keep mistakes to a minimum.

FanSince72
01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Someone wanna tell me again how it was a good idea to have Ben play in Cleveland?

saveus1011
01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Looking back on it, rather stupid to play him in Cleveland.

harrison'samonster
01-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I think it was a bad idea to have him in there the whole game. He shouldn't have been in the 2nd half. Not sure if that would have made a difference, but I think starting him was the right decision.

Danny136200
01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Someone wanna tell me again how it was a good idea to have Ben play in Cleveland?

It was a good idea... until Ray Rice ran that 70 yard TD 2 minutes into the game. I really thought he was only going to be playing about a half of work, he looked a lot better than he did against the niners, And he also looked fine all game long; I did not see a hit where his ankle was in danger (i did not see the entire game though, I missed some of the 2nd and all of the 3rd quarter). We shall see how he fairs in the rest of practice this week and the game this weekend. Unless they chop off his leg, he will most definitely be playing on sunday.

Fire Arians
01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
**** that's not good. he's not getting healthy again this season it looks like. probably will get knocked out in the divisional round.

FanSince72
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
It was a good idea... until Ray Rice ran that 70 yard TD 2 minutes into the game. I really thought he was only going to be playing about a half of work, he looked a lot better than he did against the niners, And he also looked fine all game long; I did not see a hit where his ankle was in danger (i did not see the entire game though, I missed some of the 2nd and all of the 3rd quarter). We shall see how he fairs in the rest of practice this week and the game this weekend. Unless they chop off his leg, he will most definitely be playing on sunday.

And you don't think that Charlie Batch could have gotten us 13 points?

Danny136200
01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
And you don't think that Charlie Batch could have gotten us 13 points?

Did I say that?
I'm just saying that Ben should have played at most the first half of the game, I did not expect him to be out there whole game and frankly, I was kind of disappointed on that decision. But, I do think it was a good idea to try him out for a little bit to see where he is, and he was moving a lot better than he did in the niners game.

mesaSteeler
01-04-2012, 01:24 PM

My thoughts exactly. It was another bad call by Tomlin.

SoCalFan
01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Does this mean he wont play?

FanSince72
01-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Did I say that?
I'm just saying that Ben should have played at most the first half of the game, I did not expect him to be out there whole game and frankly, I was kind of disappointed on that decision. But, I do think it was a good idea to try him out for a little bit to see where he is, and he was moving a lot better than he did in the niners game.

He shouldn't have played at all.

In fact, if Tomlin could have gotten his head out of the clouds and realized that we were most likely going to end up as a 5 or 6 seed instead of hoping for six planets to line up and get us a 1st round bye, he would have pulled Ben starting with the SF game.

All Ben should have been doing for the last three weeks was lying on a couch with his leg on a pillow so that he's have had a solid three weeks to get his leg healed up. We were already going to be in the playoffs before SF and even if we still needed a win, we had two chumps afterward and Charlie could have handled things.

Why we "needed" to play Ben in ANY of those games was beyond me.

So now we have him banged up even more, we have no bye week and Ben's headed into the playoffs on one leg. The way things turned out, even if we HAD a bye week it wouldn't make any difference because what Ben's leg "needed" wasn't running around to keep it loose, what he needed was rest and a chance to heal.

Sixburgher
01-04-2012, 01:41 PM
And if he had been laid up resting for the last month, people would be bitching about him being rusty and cursing Tomlin for not playing him. No win situation.

PhantomJB93
01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Does this mean he wont play?

I hope not. The way I see it right now:

-We should be able to beat Denver even with Batch, as long as there are no other key injuries.
-We NEED a healthy Ben to get through the rest of the playoffs. I know this is a playoff game but we HAVE to play New England or Baltimore if we win, and we're going nowhere against either of them if Ben isn't at least 90%.
-If we do manage to lose against Tebow, at least if we played Batch it won't feel as "sour" of a loss. Imagine if we play Ben and it turns out like the 49ers game, how mad everyone would be.
-An extra week's rest should go a long way to getting him better.

I honestly see no upside to playing him, in fact I see less upside this week than I did against the Browns last week even though that turned out to be meaningless.

Sixburgher
01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
-If we do manage to lose against Tebow, at least if we played Batch it won't feel as "sour" of a loss. Imagine if we play Ben and it turns out like the 49ers game, how mad everyone would be.

Right. If we lose to Denver, people will be pissing and moaning to beat the band, regardless of who is under center and this place will go into meltdown mode.

FanSince72
01-04-2012, 01:57 PM
And if he had been laid up resting for the last month, people would be bitching about him being rusty and cursing Tomlin for not playing him. No win situation.

You wouldn't have heard any bitching from me.

Besides, Tomlin is the one that always says that keeping Ben out of practice for a week is OK because Ben doesn't really need all that much practice to be ready. So what's the deal? That only applies sometimes?

Wanna know something else?
As it turned out (and no, we couldn't have known this at the time) if Ben stayed out for those three games we might have ended up as a 6-seed and we'd be playing Houston - in Houston. What better way to come back from resting a bad leg than playing in 70+ degrees and having that for a week to get ready? Instead, Ben has to limp into an outdoor stadium in Denver in January.

Yeah, that worked out well (just like the 1st round bye did too).

You know, Tomlin doesn't just get paid for all the "X's and O's bullshit, he gets paid to make the tough decisions too and he blew that big time.

Pentheon
01-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I thought it was a bad idea the whole time...really dumb to play him...now another setback with the ankle.

Sixburgher
01-04-2012, 02:01 PM
You wouldn't have heard any bitching from me.

Besides, Tomlin is the one that always says that keeping Ben out of practice for a week is OK because Ben doesn't really need all that much practice to be ready. So what's the deal? That only applies sometimes?

Wanna know something else?
As it turned out (and no, we couldn't have known this at the time) if Ben stayed out for those three games we might have ended up as a 6-seed and we'd be playing Houston - in Houston. What better way to come back from resting a bad leg than playing in 70+ degrees and having that for a week to get ready? Instead, Ben has to limp into an outdoor stadium in Denver in January.

Yeah, that worked out well (just like the 1st round bye did too).

You know, Tomlin doesn't just get paid for all the "X's and O's bullshit, he gets paid to make the tough decisions too and he blew that big time.

A game situation is COMPLETELY different to practice. Does that really need to be explained?

Real easy to say someone's wrong with 20/20 hindsight. Like I said, this was a no win situation for Tomlin. People would have bitched and said he handled it wrong regardless of what he did. Especially if Batch would have fukced up and we lost the Browns game because of it. And there's NO guarantee that sitting him for 3 weeks would have made all that much difference for an injury that typically takes well over a month to heal.

Fire Arians
01-04-2012, 02:04 PM
i thought starting him was the right thing, but was hoping he'd only play for a half to shake the rust off.

let's hope it's just a tweak and nothing major, we are gonna need him healthy in rd 2 or the season's over

FanSince72
01-04-2012, 02:06 PM
A game situation is COMPLETELY different to practice. Does that really need to be explained?

Real easy to say someone's wrong with 20/20 hindsight. Like I said, this was a no win situation for Tomlin. People would have bitched and said he handled it wrong regardless of what he did. Especially if Batch would have fukced up and we lost the Browns game because of it. And there's NO guarantee that sitting him for 3 weeks would have made all that much difference for an injury that typically takes well over a month to heal.

Hindsight my ass!

I've been saying he shouldn't be playing since he hurt his ankle the first time.

Sixburgher
01-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Hindsight my ass!

I've been saying he shouldn't be playing since he hurt his ankle the first time.

So you'd rather he come into the postseason where the intensity level is ratcheted up that much more being completely cold from a month's layoff? We'll just agree to disagree here. Tomlin was dealt a really shitty hand here and would have drawn criticism no matter which way he played it.

tanda10506
01-04-2012, 02:16 PM
This is just the "year of the injury" for our team. Bad ankles and hamstrings made of cheap twine. Evidently Ben is not going to be healthy enough throughout the playoffs. We're foolling ourselves thinking that with all the opportunities this team passed up for a bye and homefield, and all these constant injuries to pro bowl players isn't going to catch up to us. Should we be able to beat Denver with Batch, yes, but will sitting Ben one game make a difference to his injury, evidently not since sitting him against the Rams didn't work. I'm not trying to be a doom and gloomer I'm just really stressed/bummed out about this, reality is reality.

plenewken
01-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I hope not. The way I see it right now:

-We should be able to beat Denver even with Batch, as long as there are no other key injuries.

That's wishful thinking at its best.
We're talking playoffs here, against a strong defense. Batch + Redman + our young receivers are gonna have their hands full against the Broncos.
Batch is not Tebow and he's not even Ben at 50%.

Not that Ben at 50% was a recipe for success but without him, I think our post-season is going to be short.

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
He shouldn't have played at all.

In fact, if Tomlin could have gotten his head out of the clouds and realized that we were most likely going to end up as a 5 or 6 seed instead of hoping for six planets to line up and get us a 1st round bye, he would have pulled Ben starting with the SF game.

All Ben should have been doing for the last three weeks was lying on a couch with his leg on a pillow so that he's have had a solid three weeks to get his leg healed up. We were already going to be in the playoffs before SF and even if we still needed a win, we had two chumps afterward and Charlie could have handled things.

Why we "needed" to play Ben in ANY of those games was beyond me.

So now we have him banged up even more, we have no bye week and Ben's headed into the playoffs on one leg. The way things turned out, even if we HAD a bye week it wouldn't make any difference because what Ben's leg "needed" wasn't running around to keep it loose, what he needed was rest and a chance to heal.

Agreed - after the 49ers loss I have thought Ben should have sat until the playoffs

No getting around last night's loss being a devastating setback to going back to the Super Bowl - home field with a bye was there - now the Steelers are at best looking at 1 home game with no bye

If the Steelers get the #5 seed (beating the Rams does that) they will travel to the AFC West winner - while home is always better than the road, unless the game is in San Diego they should be favored against Oakland or San Diego

So to maximize their playoff prospects, it seems more important after last night to get healthy than to go all out for 1 possible home game - for that reason I wish they would sit Ben, Woodley and Pouncey until the playoffs.

Of course with Tomlin still playing Ben after the game was a blow out last night I assume we will play all starters for the full Rams and Browns game regardless of the score:banging:

If Woodley sits why not your franchise QB?

This reminds me of Tomlin running the team into the ground in 2007 before the first round loss to Jax

That having been said, Tomlin must be thrilled to hear Ben disclose the ankle was hurt in Cleveland after Tomlin said this yesterday

Roethlisberger's high ankle sprain is "OK," according to Tomlin, although the quarterback may be limited early this week in practice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12004/1201115-66.stm

FanSince72
01-04-2012, 03:08 PM
So you'd rather he come into the postseason where the intensity level is ratcheted up that much more being completely cold from a month's layoff? We'll just agree to disagree here. Tomlin was dealt a really shitty hand here and would have drawn criticism no matter which way he played it.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree and yes, Tomlin was dealt a bad hand. :drink:

Let me just say though, that if Ben were a rookie or otherwise inexperienced then playing him might have been the best choice. But Ben has been to 3 SB's and many playoff games and I don't believe that he would have had any trouble adjusting to the intensity if he'd sat out those last three games.

steelfury02
01-04-2012, 03:11 PM
you can hope all you want - a week / 2 weeks rest wouldn't get him up to 90%. He was only at about 60% even after resting during Rams game - now if we happen to win - he MIGHT be back to 60% for divisional. It is what it is. We aren't doing squat unless we play mistake free, score points, and hope the defense has it in them to completely take a game over. A hobbled Ben = inevitable loss - whether it be wild card or divisional.

How are those 2nd week what ifs looking now? Are you all really that shocked?

EDIT: Furthermore - hindsight is always 20/20 - at least we have an excuse. Not even the Packers with a hobbled Rodgers, nor the Saints or any team without their starting QB in top form do squat. This bites hard, but lets not make it harder than it has to be. Just be real and accept it - you can't expect them to win it or make it every single season - there are 31 other teams.

BKAnthem
01-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Did I say that?

He shouldn't have been playing at all ..it's the gosh darn cleveland browns and it's not like a play off berth was a t stake... :banging:

stb_steeler
01-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Looks like Ben wont be healthy anytime soon....:doh:

stb_steeler
01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
you can hope all you want - a week / 2 weeks rest wouldn't get him up to 90%. He was only at about 60% even after resting during Rams game - now if we happen to win - he MIGHT be back to 60% for divisional. It is what it is. We aren't doing squat unless we play mistake free, score points, and hope the defense has it in them to completely take a game over. A hobbled Ben = inevitable loss - whether it be wild card or divisional.

How are those 2nd week what ifs looking now? Are you all really that shocked?

EDIT: Furthermore - hindsight is always 20/20 - at least we have an excuse. Not even the Packers with a hobbled Rodgers, nor the Saints or any team without their starting QB in top form do squat. This bites hard, but lets not make it harder than it has to be. Just be real and accept it - you can't expect them to win it or make it every single season - there are 31 other teams.

If you ask me Green Bays backup QB looked pretty good, hell better than most starters in the league.

ebsteelers
01-04-2012, 03:25 PM
defense wins championships...

steelers 9
broncos 3

ebsteelers
01-04-2012, 03:49 PM
after reading the thread over all i gotta say is

everyone needs to stop acting like a bunch of Pu$$ieS get your head out of your asses get fired up and lets get ready to cheer for our beloved steelers in denver..

if your gonna be negative dont even put the game on sunday.

chips are down, its time to rise up and whoop ass

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2012, 03:51 PM
defense wins championships...

steelers 9
broncos 3

Defense wins first round playoff games against teams with bad QBs.

Good luck winning in New England without scoring at least in the high 20s.

ebsteelers
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Defense wins first round playoff games against teams with bad QBs.

Good luck winning in New England without scoring at least in the high 20s.

when did new englands d become world beaters?

run the ball, short passes, long drives = keep their d on the field.. it can be done...

gotta believe

BELIEVE IN NOW:tt04:

jjpro11
01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
hopefully he's just milking it a bit. i love him, but you can't deny he has a flare for the dramatic.

https://twitter.com/#!/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/154616574140100608

"Ben limping through locker room. Incidentally right past espn crew" - @MarkKaboly_Trib

tanda10506
01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
What sucks is that Ben usually plays just as good or better hurt, but he's hasn't looked good with this injury.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
I call BS on this entire thing.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19672932

Opening line from the article:

Speaking today during a teleconference with Denver media, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said his ankle feels like a '5' on a scale of 1-10. .

Later in the article:

"We had a little setback (in the last game). We're working really hard, the trainers and stuff, to get it back feeling like it did before that game."

Can someone please explain to me why Roeth would...if serious...tell the DENVER media this stuff? Please....someone....

Even if he DID suffer a setback (and he didn't look any less mobile at the end of the Browns game than he did at the beginning) why would he tell them anything other than "it's fine."????

I think this is Ben having some fun. Found another link that said he "incidentally" was seen limping past an ESPN camera in the locker room.

Sorry....don't buy it.

theplatypus
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
good lord something else for steelers fever to cry about

jjpro11
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
What sucks is that Ben usually plays just as good or better hurt, but he's hasn't looked good with this injury.

he obviously was horrible during the 49ers game.. it's hard to form an opinion on him based on Sunday's game with the wind conditions. there was really no opportunity to open it up downfield. i thought he could have taken off running a couple times, but passed them up... so i am sure his ankle is still causing him problems. i also didn't notice any limp throughout the game, so that tells me he was obviously feeling better than when he played in the 49ers game. the issue now is whether or not, and if so, to what extent did he re-aggravate the injury.

Sixburgher
01-04-2012, 04:18 PM

:chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Can someone please explain to me why Roeth would...if serious...tell the DENVER media this stuff? Please....someone....

There is a history here going back to his rookie season running through SB XLIII:chuckle:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have no knowledge that Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with two broken ribs, as the quarterback told a Web site...

Roethlisberger has previously exaggerated or misstated injuries he supposedly suffered during his five-season career.

The day after the January 2005 AFC Championship Game, Roethlisberger said he broke two toes during the 41-27 loss to New England. Coach Bill Cowher emphatically denied that, saying the quarterback merely aggravated a toe injury from college. Roethlisberger never brought up the issue again.

Roethlisberger also said during training camp in 2006 that he played the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning season of 2005 with a broken thumb. Roethlisberger missed no playing time after supposedly being hurt on Nov. 28, 2005, in Indianapolis, and the team never revealed any such injury.

After Cowher resigned following the 2006 season, Roethlisberger acknowledged he and the coach didn't always get along -- in part, apparently, because Cowher felt the quarterback exaggerated the extent of injuries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3894263

PhantomJB93
01-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Later in the article:

Even if he DID suffer a setback (and he didn't look any less mobile at the end of the Browns game than he did at the beginning) why would he tell them anything other than "it's fine."????

I think this is Ben having some fun. Found another link that said he "incidentally" was seen limping past an ESPN camera in the locker room.

Sorry....don't buy it.

I would LOVE for this to be true, but given his past few performances with this injury I'm not too optimistic.

PhantomJB93
01-04-2012, 04:28 PM
That's wishful thinking at its best.
We're talking playoffs here, against a strong defense. Batch + Redman + our young receivers are gonna have their hands full against the Broncos.
Batch is not Tebow and he's not even Ben at 50%.

Not that Ben at 50% was a recipe for success but without him, I think our post-season is going to be short.

I know. Believe me I'm not trying to say Denver is an auto-win. All I'm saying is that I don't think our chances with Batch (or even Dixon) decrease all that much right now, and considering our opponents if we look ahead past Denver, I think we maximize our playoff chances by resting him. Sure, we're much more likely to take care of things in Denver with Ben under center, but if his ankle is this bad now and he "tweaks" it further in this game (which just seems inevitable in it's current state), we have almost no chance of going any further.

Plus, I'd rather lose to Denver now if we play Batch than give Baltimore the satisfaction of a three game sweep if Ben's injury gets worse and he costs us that game.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM
There is a history here going back to his rookie season running through SB XLIII:chuckle:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have no knowledge that Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with two broken ribs, as the quarterback told a Web site...

Roethlisberger has previously exaggerated or misstated injuries he supposedly suffered during his five-season career.

The day after the January 2005 AFC Championship Game, Roethlisberger said he broke two toes during the 41-27 loss to New England. Coach Bill Cowher emphatically denied that, saying the quarterback merely aggravated a toe injury from college. Roethlisberger never brought up the issue again.

Roethlisberger also said during training camp in 2006 that he played the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning season of 2005 with a broken thumb. Roethlisberger missed no playing time after supposedly being hurt on Nov. 28, 2005, in Indianapolis, and the team never revealed any such injury.

After Cowher resigned following the 2006 season, Roethlisberger acknowledged he and the coach didn't always get along -- in part, apparently, because Cowher felt the quarterback exaggerated the extent of injuries.

Thanks. Pretty funny. Big Ben is a measure of drama queen in him...no doubt. Looks like he just wants people to feel sorry for him. LMAO!

stb_steeler
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Later in the article:

Sorry....don't buy it.

You would get tired if the media was all over ya all the time to, thats Bens way of telling them if you want to hound me i guess i'll make a story out of it!...lol

StainlessStill
01-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Ouch. Oh boy. Roethlisberger is MONUMENTAL to our Super Bowl hopes. Man, our injuries at the elite positions may be a little too much for us to handle if we escape Denver and onto a fresh Patriots or Ravens team.

sharkweek
01-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Chill out you guys, I traveled to the alternate universe where Ben was rested immediately after the first Cleveland game. We even beat the 49ers with Batch and grabbed the #1 seed but then immediately lost in the divisional round when Ben saw his first start in over a month and threw another 4 INTs to the Ravens.

Ben needed to play this last game to shake off rust. The mistake was playing against the 49ers, although we needed that game to stay in the hunt for the bye and even #1 seed (of which I'm sure the vast majority of Steeler fans wanted him to play that game for just that reason). Hindsight is always 20/20, so, please, just chill the frick out.

For all intents and purposes we probably should have lost Ben for the season long ago when he broke his thumb, much like how Houston or Chicago lost their QBs. Houston still made the playoffs but are in even worse shape than we are, and Chicago missed the playoffs entirely.

stb_steeler
01-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Ouch. Oh boy. Roethlisberger is MONUMENTAL to our Super Bowl hopes. Man, our injuries at the elite positions may be a little too much for us to handle if we escape Denver and onto a fresh Patriots or Ravens team.

Ahh, Charlie can handle it......:wink02:

TroyP43
01-05-2012, 02:24 AM

This is a great observation. Why wouldn't you want to toy with the opponent? It's a chess game. Obviously not Ben's first rodeo!

btaylor179
01-05-2012, 06:43 AM
ben shouldnt have played the last 3 games......batch couldve beaten 49rs nd brownies

steelfury02
01-05-2012, 08:51 AM
its really a hard spot to be in - darned if you do / if you don't sort of thing - they obviously knew enough to sit Ben v. Rams and we won easily. At the same time - if Ben is pleading to play while there is a possibility for the division - and the Ravens lost - well then the entire tune changes

Ben's leading the press both ways with his injury. The 5/10 comment is a statement to say he is in bad shape - on ESPN/NFL with the cameras on him - he says he feels great. Tomlin says he 's ok - then Ben doesn't practice - its all a game and frankly, they wouldn't be playing it if they weren't preparing with all hands on deck (as much as possible)

Ben will play - and he might even be better than he is leading on so to hopefully catch them off guard a little.

He even threw in the comment about "if there is anyone that can stop them, its Lebeau"

This team always has something up its sleeve come playoff time. We might see a repeat 1st half performance of the AFC Champ game v. Jets where we absolutely dominate the line of scrimmage and run it down their throats - or come out with a fake punt to keep the chains moving, etc, etc - you just never know.

ebsteelers
01-05-2012, 09:06 AM

exactly, thank goodness the players play the game and not the steeler fans at this board... we might as well not show up according to them.so negative,

defense wins championship look at packers in the sb against us... made big plays on d and thats why they won.. (collins td 7pts, clay fumble took away 7 pts) difference in ball game right there.

tebow can be turnover prone get to him early, get to him often,

if we do win this game and end up going to new england or balt, you dont know the weather on those days... in new england it could be 10 degrees with wind and snow and will need to run the ball to win...

here we go steelers beat denver!!!

TroyP43
01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
As stated previously, Ben is simply playing a game in my opinion. Heading into the playoffs you want your opponent to think that you are hobbled.

However, if your truly hurting then your going to be as optimistic as possible. If your making it seem worse than it is then you are going to act exactly like Ben is.

Sell it to the media. Force Denver to gameplan for a Ben with a bum leg and then BOOM! come out with guns blazing and take the Wildcard game with ease.

FanSince72
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
The basic rule is that you simply don't believe everything you read, see or hear during a playoff week, which also applies to Tebow's; "Aw shucks, I'm humble to be here" bullshit as well.

The object of the game is simple:
When the game begins, we score as much as possible until they tell us to stop playing and then we'll see what happens after that.

Everything else is irrelevant.