PDA

View Full Version : Chad Spann

DanRooney
01-04-2012, 04:04 PM
He was just signed to the roster in place of Chris Carter (who was sent to IR). Interesting size on this guy: 5'8 202 lbs. Sounds like a scat back that could provide some much needed speed in our running game. Anyone know anything about this guy? (scrub comments aside)

Buddha Bus
01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I don't know anything about him, but I found this.

kU2b7G2Oocg

He doesn't look too "scrubby" to me. :hunch:

ricardisimo
01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
His highlight vid on YouTube makes him look like a future HoFer... of course, so does my YouTube highlight montage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR5IxBuOHAM), so you take these things with a grain of salt.

theplatypus
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
It's nice to have another rb in the stable, but the odds of him ever seeing the field are pretty bad.

Buddha Bus
01-04-2012, 04:18 PM
His highlight vid on YouTube makes him look like a future HoFer... of course, so does my YouTube highlight montage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR5IxBuOHAM), so you take these things with a grain of salt.

Mmmmmmmm..... salt.

http://pbmo.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/homer-drooling.png?w=300&h=300

ricardisimo
01-04-2012, 04:19 PM
It's nice to have another rb in the stable, but the odds of him ever seeing the field are pretty bad.
I would have said the same thing about the mighty John Clay, and yet here we are.

StainlessStill
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Issac Redman, Jonathan Clay and Chad Spann.

Yep, defense's will DEFIANTLY dare us to pass, pin there ears back and come after Roethlisberger like bad's out of hell. Although I'm still 100% comfortable in Redman's abilities.

theplatypus
01-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Yep, defense's will DEFIANTLY dare us to pass, pin there ears back and come after Roethlisberger like bad's out of hell. Although I'm still 100% comfortable in Redman's abilities.

Then it's up to Ben to make the proper read and GET RID OF THE @#!@!#% FOOTBALL. None of this pump fake bs, just get rid of the ball in ~3 seconds accurately like the elite qb's in the league.

MACH1
01-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Then it's up to Ben to make the proper read and GET RID OF THE @#!@!#% FOOTBALL. None of this pump fake bs, just get rid of the ball in ~3 seconds accurately like the elite qb's in the league.

Only if arians can call a quick pass and not a 20 second bomb down the field.

StainlessStill
01-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Worked to PERFECTION against Tennessee and New England and never to be heard from since. I'm cautious in Arian's ability to attack in this sort of manor. I can seriously see Wallace 25 yards downfield, Heath in to block, Brown running 15 yard crossing routes and Cotchery running 10 yard out's. I say pick the shit out of teams with our speed underneath. Brown, Wallace, with Cotchery moving the chains going into the teeth of the defense. Reverse's, draws, quick slants & screens could be an outlet.

This could get scary if we use nothing but intermediate routes which I'm sure will be the gameplan.

theplatypus
01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Only if arians can call a quick pass and not a 20 second bomb down the field.

You, like so many others on this board are obviously having problems with understanding how football plays are designed. In just about every pass play(obvious exception hail mary) there are long, intermediate, and short routes and it's up to the qb to make the decision as too which is the best target.

LVSteelersfan
01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
You, like so many others on this board are obviously having problems with understanding how football plays are designed. In just about every pass play(obvious exception hail mary) there are long, intermediate, and short routes and it's up to the qb to make the decision as too which is the best target.

But when you watch the field on plays that Ben gets sacked with an empty backfield the WRs never seem to be in any short routes. They always seem to be 10-15 yards downfield which gets Ben sacked. They need to run real routes and get some separation instead of trying to speed down the field. Heath Miller should be getting as many touches as Gronkowski does if Arians had any brains in his head. No LB can possibly cover him if the WRs take all of the CBs and safeties down the field. I just don't understand this stubbornness about running more short crossing routes (they always work), running some screens to the RBs (not that stupid WR bubble screen) and some passes down the middle to Miller. Instead it is run the RB up the middle on first down for no gain and end up in third and long all the time. I hate Arians.

tony hipchest
01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
This could get scary if we use nothing but intermediate routes which I'm sure will be the gameplan.bruce has already admitted we dont gameplan vs other teams ESPECIALLY inferior teams regardless of strengths or weaknesses. "we do what we do", and its up to the opponents defense to stop us.

theplatypus
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
But when you watch the field on plays that Ben gets sacked with an empty backfield the WRs never seem to be in any short routes. They always seem to be 10-15 yards downfield which gets Ben sacked. They need to run real routes and get some separation instead of trying to speed down the field. Heath Miller should be getting as many touches as Gronkowski does if Arians had any brains in his head. No LB can possibly cover him if the WRs take all of the CBs and safeties down the field. I just don't understand this stubbornness about running more short crossing routes (they always work), running some screens to the RBs (not that stupid WR bubble screen) and some passes down the middle to Miller. Instead it is run the RB up the middle on first down for no gain and end up in third and long all the time. I hate Arians.

Go download a game and watch closely, making use of ff,rw,sm etc. When Ben is in shotgun by the time he's finished with his drop the line of scrimmage is at the very edge of your tv screen. You can't actually see all of the routes being run so you're just assuming that they're all going deep. However, when they change the angle frequently you can see enough of the field to catch at least one man coming across underneath. Passing plays are designed for the receivers to run at different depths and areas for a reason. You don't send all the receivers to the same spot bringing the cb's and safeties with them.

You also have to realize that by the time Ben is throwing the ball he's already at least 7 yards behind the los, toss on a 5 yard route and voila we have the constant mind numbing complaint that Arians only throws deep. blah blah blah. You also have to pay attention to Ben's pump fakes and don't forget about audibles. Last and certainly not least Ben likes the deep ball too.

tony hipchest
01-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Last and certainly not least Ben likes the deep ball too.what's that tomlin always says? "style points dont matter"?

maybe the team should actually install a gameplan and stick with it as opposed to the free wheeling freelancing everybody seems to love so much. it really doesnt put much more points on the board (although it does put our wr's in the pro-bowl.)

an actual gameplan seems to work pretty well for charlie batch.

theplatypus
01-04-2012, 07:35 PM
what's that tomlin always says? "style points dont matter"?

maybe the team should actually install a gameplan and stick with it as opposed to the free wheeling freelancing everybody seems to love so much. it really doesnt put much more points on the board (although it does put our wr's in the pro-bowl.)

Nice try pal, but we don't win a superbowl, come within 6 points of winning a 2nd, and go 12-4 for consecutive years without having a game plan. If it makes you happy to keep telling fairy tales, enjoy. Although, you might want to make them slightly more plausible.

tony hipchest
01-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Nice try pal, but we don't win a superbowl, come within 6 points of winning a 2nd, and go 12-4 for consecutive years without having a game plan. If it makes you happy to keep telling fairy tales, enjoy. Although, you might want to make them slightly more plausible.until last year, arians offense didnt even bother practicing vs a 4-3 defense even though plenty of teams and opponents still run it.

how's that for "plausible"?

more like ****ing unbelievable! :banging:

theplatypus
01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
until last year, arians offense didnt even bother practicing vs a 4-3 defense even though plenty of teams and opponents still run it.

how's that for "plausible"?

more like ****ing unbelievable! :banging:

Maybe if they hadn't wasted time practicing against the 4-3 they would have won the sb. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
01-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Maybe if they hadn't wasted time practicing against the 4-3 they would have won the sb. :chuckle:actually, offensive gameplans last 2X vs the packers may have been arians finest of his career. unfortunate that most of his gameplans vs bottom dwellers such as KC and CLE often seem to be his worst.

but i like the chad spann move. just a shame the opportunity baron batch is missing with his ACL.

this is the same situation that propelled willie parker into semi-stardom.

tanda10506
01-04-2012, 08:52 PM
bruce has already admitted we dont gameplan vs other teams ESPECIALLY inferior teams regardless of strengths or weaknesses. "we do what we do", and its up to the opponents defense to stop us.

If ever there was a guy I wanted to hit with a hammer. I don't know who I hate more, Arians for holding us back so much from the inside, or Goodell from the outside!!!

Who would have thought that if you designed routes for a QB to throw the ball before he had to run that passes would be completed? I hate Arians!!

That is true for most teams I've seen and for when I played in high school and college. Just not this team, I know we mainly only see big plays reviewed, but every time Ben get's sacked everybody is 15+ yards out. I've always, just from my experience, figured somebody was running a dump off or a short route, but I don't see it with us.

As for Spann, I highly doubt he will see the field, I think the power yards and the TD Clay has gotten for us in his short amount of play should put him on the field if Redman needs to sit for a bit. Also MM is supposed to be back, if he's good to go expect to see him on 3rd down. Damn it's hard to stay optimistic!

ricardisimo
01-04-2012, 10:24 PM
When you see a five-step drop, that was called by the OC. It's out of the QB's hands whether there was a short route open or not. I wouldn't go questioning other people's ability to decipher the game unless you're a super-genius, like Bruce Arians, for example.
:hatsoff:

tony hipchest
01-04-2012, 10:56 PM
for those interested, you can follow the newbs thoughts on twitter-

https://twitter.com/#!/cspann28

cspann28Chad 'supe' Spann

Starting to realize we got the best fans in the world. #SteeelerNation

Rick5895
01-05-2012, 04:36 AM

Yes there are intermediate and short routes, not just the deep ball. Problem is who is primary..Ben is always looking downfield for the big hitter and Bruce designs the O that way. And has been stated here and as Bruce has said, there seems to be no game planning for opponents specific weaknesses and certainly we have seen no adjustment during games to what other teams are doing defensively.

Rick5895
01-05-2012, 04:41 AM
If ever there was a guy I wanted to hit with a hammer. I don't know who I hate more, Arians for holding us back so much from the inside, or Goodell from the outside!!!

Who would have thought that if you designed routes for a QB to throw the ball before he had to run that passes would be completed? I hate Arians!!

That is true for most teams I've seen and for when I played in high school and college. Just not this team, I know we mainly only see big plays reviewed, but every time Ben get's sacked everybody is 15+ yards out. I've always, just from my experience, figured somebody was running a dump off or a short route, but I don't see it with us.

As for Spann, I highly doubt he will see the field, I think the power yards and the TD Clay has gotten for us in his short amount of play should put him on the field if Redman needs to sit for a bit. Also MM is supposed to be back, if he's good to go expect to see him on 3rd down. Damn it's hard to stay optimistic!

I agree for the most part, but if you look at the video from Bens injury vs browns in the 1st game, Mendy was wide open for a "dump off" pass with no one around for about 15 yrds and ben kept looking downfield

Pentheon
01-05-2012, 07:31 AM

I agree...shit hopefully they do dare us to pass because we know redman is capable of running on teams if given the chance, other than those last two fumbles last game hes been solid as hell when we needed him, he runs hard on every down and always seems to get the yards needed on 3rd and short.

Im very confident for sunday and the rest of the playoffs...

I don't know anything about this new guy but hopefully hes something like a darren sproles haha....is he supposed to be quick?

Dino 6 Rings
01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
I really just hope Spann can tackle on Kickoffs. I don't think he'll be getting too many touches in his first playoff game as a Steeler.