PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey may be OUT, ankle took turn for the worst

StainlessStill
01-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Instead of relief, the week keeps bringing more bad news regarding injuries for the Steelers.

Center Maurkice Pouncey, who returned to play last Sunday after missing two games with a high ankle sprain, did not practice Thursday because his ankle took a turn for the worst.

"I practiced the other day and toward the end I got sore," Pouncey said after practice Thursday. "Today, I came in and my ankle was real sore, so I don't know what the turnout is going to be. Right now, I'm not practicing."

Pouncey was clearly not happy about the turn of events. In previous weeks, he predicted he would play even though he wound up missing two games because of it.

"I'm aggravated with it, I'm kind of stressed about it. I mean an injury prolonged this long is aggravating. Hopefully, I can push through it and see how this week goes."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he is concerned about Pouncey's chances of playing Sunday. Doug Legursky would start at center Sunday in Denver if Pouncey cannot play.

In the meantime, Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice on his own high ankle sprain and Arians was a little more encouraged about that.

"A little better," Arians said. "He got some of it. He's moving around okay, not as good as he was, but okay."

Three other starters did not practice at all: James Harrison (toe), Brett Keisel (groin) and Troy Polamalu (calf). All are expected to play Sunday.

Backup tackle Jonathan Scott was limited in practice because of a back injury that is new.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12005/1201572-100.stm#ixzz1icbRuIcR

Holy ****. This is ridiculous. Now Pouncey's (our best lineman) ankle took a turn for the worst and may not be out there Sunday. Doug Legursky (who just came back from a shoulder injury and isn't 100%) will more than likely take Pouncey's place. Getting worse for Pittsburgh by the DAY. On how bad it really is, our 3rd down back Mewelde Moore is out with an MCL sprain and Mendenhall's IR forced us to sign a RB off the practice squad player named Chris Spann to the 53 man roster. Ouch.

stb_steeler
01-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Im beginning to think Pouncey's injury is permanent :doh:

StainlessStill
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM

I don't have a good feel with Woodley's hammy as well. This is getting worse by the day. It's Thursday, one of our last walk-through's for the week and now we're tweeking ankles 3 days before the game? Can't even get through practice.

stb_steeler
01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I know, havent heard much from Woodley on FB, usually he saying he's playing then doesnt.

ricardisimo
01-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Holy ****. This is ridiculous. Now Pouncey's (our best lineman) ankle took a turn for the worst and may not be out there Sunday. Doug Legursky (who just came back from a shoulder injury and isn't 100%) will more than likely take Pouncey's place. Getting worse for Pittsburgh by the DAY. On how bad it really is, our 3rd down back Mewelde Moore is out with an MCL sprain and Mendenhall's IR forced us to sign a RB off the practice squad player named Chris Spann to the 53 man roster. Ouch.
Chad Spann, not Chris. And he looks quite good, all things considered.

StainlessStill
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Chad Spann, not Chris. And he looks quite good, all things considered.

Okay, Chad.:noidea: Chad Spann.:coffee: This dude is going to contribute NOTHING. If Jonathan Dwyer couldn't get on the field, then certainly Chad Spann isn't going to come in any time soon and be put into the situation of picking up a blitzing linebacker on Roethlisberger's blind-side. If it comes to that, sianara.

Steel_Bus_24
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Im about sick of this injury sh**

lipps83
01-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Is this the same ankle Pouncey injured before the Super Bowl?

I can't recall.

stb_steeler
01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
What do we know about Chad Spann? Is he any good or is he just a fill in?:noidea:

StainlessStill
01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
What do we know about Chad Spann? Is he any good or is he just a fill in?:noidea:

"Here, here's a jersey. Put on this raincoat and try to keep warm at all costs. Be ready if Redman or Clay break their leg." Sounds promising.

ricardisimo
01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Okay, Chad.:noidea: Chad Spann.:coffee: This dude is going to contribute NOTHING. If Jonathan Dwyer couldn't get on the field, then certainly Chad Spann isn't going to come in any time soon and be put into the situation of picking up a blitzing linebacker on Roethlisberger's blind-side. If it comes to that, sianara.
But Dwyer did get on the field, and he did quite well for us, until he got hurt, that is. Who's to say that Spann won't do the same?

We may be looking at a new strength & conditioning coach at season's end. That's a shame, because I believe she's the only female assistant coach in the NFL.

PhantomJB93
01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Ugh, we may win this week, but there's no way we're making it to the Super Bowl. God, why is Pittsburgh in general so bad with injuries, I swear to God no other city gets this unlucky with injuries to their star players, not just the Steelers but the Penguins too.

stb_steeler
01-05-2012, 05:03 PM
"Here, here's a jersey. Put on this raincoat and try to keep warm at all costs. Be ready if Redman or Clay break their leg." Sounds promising.

Wow....depressing isnt it......I believe Redman will do good in Denver.

StainlessStill
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Here's what the sounds of the playoffs could sound like:

"Brady to Gronkowski! Touchdown!"

"Michael Turner bursts one for an 85 yard sprint for to the endzone! Touchdown, Falcons!"

"Aaron Rodgers throws for his 3rd touchdown pass. Jordy Nelson goes for the Lambeau Leap!"

"Ray Rice goes untouched in the endzone for Baltimore's 3rd touchdown run of the day!"

"Matthew Stafford airing it out, hits Johnson in the back of the endzone, TOUCHDOWN."

"Drew Brees sets a playoff record with 8 touchdown pass's in the Super Dome."

"And Chad Spann for a -4 yard loss. Ben sure does look hobbled out there, Chris Simms."

:banging:

TroyP43
01-05-2012, 05:09 PM
There is absolutely nothing we can do about these injuries now. They suck it up, move on and do the best they can with what they have. No need to sit around and whine about the injuries. It does no good.

So here is to optimism and a Steelers victory this Sunday! :tt:

StainlessStill
01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
There is absolutely nothing we can do about these injuries now. They suck it up, move on and do the best they can with what they have. No need to sit around and whine about the injuries. It does no good.

So here is to optimism and a Steelers victory this Sunday! :tt:

We've been here before. I just think it's hysterical. Turn on the news, it's doom and gloom for the Steelers right now. Not one thing positive about our team in the headlines. The only thing that shines light on us right now is that we, thankfully, drew the worst team in the playoffs in Denver.

tanda10506
01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Ugh, we may win this week, but there's no way we're making it to the Super Bowl. God, why is Pittsburgh in general so bad with injuries, I swear to God no other city gets this unlucky with injuries to their star players, not just the Steelers but the Penguins too.

Agreed, it's just too much. I've been saying all year that this team has more injured pro bowl quality players then most teams have. I know someone will say "every team has injuries". Yes, I know that's true, but not like this, this is ridiculous.

Just saw on NFL network that Harrison didn't practice due to a toe injury and Polamalu didn't practice do to a calf injury. It sure is frustrating to not see anybody get hurt during a game, like Harrison and Polamalu, but then come time for the next game all their hurt all of a sudden. There wasn't any further comment on weather they would play or not. I'm really not sure if we have enough of our starters to beat anybody.

The question is now, will we have enough players by the start of the game to make a full roster? F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TroyP43
We've been here before. I just think it's hysterical. Turn on the news, it's doom and gloom for the Steelers right now. Not one thing positive about our team in the headlines. The only thing that shines light on us right now is that we, thankfully, drew the worst team in the playoffs in Denver.

And maybe that's the way that some of the Steelers like it. Being the underdog and having that mentality can really be a motivating factor for a lot of the guys in that locker room.

If I'm thankful for anything, its that our D is #1 and that alone should carry us through this weekend. We need to take it one week at a time. We can worry about Baltimore/New England next week.:tt05:

stb_steeler

Stay away from NFL net then....there is no good news on there. I wonder if we could compare our team goin into the playoffs with injuries like GB did last year,(It could work)
Just sayin!

Steel_Bus_24
01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Stay away from NFL net then....there is no good news on there. I wonder if we could compare our team goin into the playoffs with injuries like GB did last year,(It could work)
Just sayin!

Rodgers wasn't hobbled though

Steelers have to write their own story

theplatypus
01-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Pretty sure last year was the other ankle.

ricardisimo
01-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Here's what the sounds of the playoffs could sound like:

"Brady to Gronkowski! Touchdown!"

"Michael Turner bursts one for an 85 yard sprint for to the endzone! Touchdown, Falcons!"

"Aaron Rodgers throws for his 3rd touchdown pass. Jordy Nelson goes for the Lambeau Leap!"

"Ray Rice goes untouched in the endzone for Baltimore's 3rd touchdown run of the day!"

"Matthew Stafford airing it out, hits Johnson in the back of the endzone, TOUCHDOWN."

"Drew Brees sets a playoff record with 8 touchdown pass's in the Super Dome."

"And Chad Spann for a -4 yard loss. Ben sure does look hobbled out there, Chris Simms."

:banging:
:huh:
Didn't you just say about 30 seconds ago in another thread how fired up and positive you were feeling? We have no idea how Spann is going to play, if he plays at all.

theplatypus
01-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Being that it's not actually a quote we might be reading into that snippet a little too much.

StainlessStill
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
:huh:
Didn't you just say about 30 seconds ago in another thread how fired up and positive you were feeling? We have no idea how Spann is going to play, if he plays at all.

Correct. I'm feeling positive of the veteran leadership that resides within our team. That's not to say I'm not concerned as well. I've been a Pittsburgh Steelers fan since my first breath as a human, I've seen how HARD it is for teams to beat us at our worst. That said, it's hysterical with these injuries. As positive as I am going into Denver (every diehard should) there's still a little bit of worry givin our health status. It's only normal reaction dude and got to look at the objective side as well.

PhantomJB93
01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Rodgers wasn't hobbled though

Steelers have to write their own story

Yeah, GB maybe had a higher number of total players injured but in terms of "key" players we're in a way worse situation.

FanSince72
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Pouncey's another guy who didn't need to be playing these last few weeks either.

How is it that other teams never seem to have all of the injury issues that we ALWAYS seem to have?
From Noll all the way through Cowher, I do not remember ever having so many injured players on such a regular basis.
The way I see it is that either Tomlin and / or the F.O. isn't getting the bigger picture here and is interested more in playing someone than allowing them to get well, or the training staff flat out sucks, or the players and not the coaches are calling the shots. In any case, it's a bad deal.

Ricco Suavez
01-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I believe other teams do have injuries ,its just we are so tuned in on our own team and problems we sometimes overlook others. Besides other teams say Ben is always got something hurt so he does not count.

FanSince72
01-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I believe other teams do have injuries ,its just we are so tuned in on our own team and problems we sometimes overlook others. Besides other teams say Ben is always got something hurt so he does not count.

Not like we do.

How many years has it been since we've had an offensive line that has played together for more than just a few games?

How many seasons has Ben been truly healthy?

How many times has Troy been out?
How many times have we been missing linebackers?
Or wide receivers?
Or DB's?

Everyone has injuries but, come on.

tanda10506
01-05-2012, 05:59 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/steelers-broncos-wednesday-injury-report-afc-wild-card-week-polamalu-harrison-keisel-sit/

I guess Keisel sat along with Harrison and Polamalu. Will they all play? How hindered will they be? The team that plays Denver may look nothing like the team we had the first 5 or 6 weeks.

stiller39
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I agree Stb, Pouncey seems to be injured.... alot. We need him and Mr. Woodley to make a run at the bowl.

stb_steeler
01-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Pretty sure last year was the other ankle.

Yep...last year was the other ankle......This year 2 times on the same ankle.

tburhans
01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
The veteran players such as harrison,troy,keisel,ward are usually given a day of rest each week so them being on the "injury" report isnt a big deal as they are all expected to play sunday. Our major issue is we are very thin on the o-line and the secondary. Keenan Lewis is supposed to be ok to play sunday but havent heard an official report yet so him being able to play would be a big help. The o-line has been a mess all year(s). Im just hoping Redman can grind out some tough yards this week. And for gods sakes would it hurt to let Heath run some underneath routes like he did against NE. Seemed to work pretty well:noidea:

Atlanta Dan
01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he is concerned about Pouncey's chances of playing Sunday. Doug Legursky would start at center Sunday in Denver if Pouncey cannot play.

In the meantime, Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice on his own high ankle sprain and Arians was a little more encouraged about that.

"A little better," Arians said. "He got some of it. He's moving around okay, not as good as he was, but okay."

When did my favorite offensive coordinator become the team spokesman for injury updates?:noidea:

STFU Bruce:mad:

ricardisimo
01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I'd be more worried about Keisel's groin injury than anything else on that report. Not good.

steeltheone
01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Not like we do.

How many years has it been since we've had an offensive line that has played together for more than just a few games?

How many seasons has Ben been truly healthy?

How many times has Troy been out?
How many times have we been missing linebackers?
Or wide receivers?
Or DB's?

Everyone has injuries but, come on.

Well a bad line has alot to do with a healthy QB. Darmonti Dawson never came off the field, He was a true animal.

Troy's style of play = injuries
Harrison and Farrior are older now.

tburhans
01-05-2012, 07:05 PM
If keisel cant go it will be heywards time to shine. hes been pretty solid in his limited playing time. Keisel is an animal out there, but Heyward wasnt a first round pick for nothing :tt04:

Whodis
01-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I'd be more worried about Keisel's groin injury than anything else on that report. Not good.

That's what i was thinking... Keisel has been a force up front this year.

At least we'll make a game of it!

SteelCurtainCall
01-05-2012, 07:09 PM
If you listen to the NFL network, you hardly hear them talk much at all about the Steelers. I don't think many, if any of the "know it alls" have any respect for this steelers team at all. Only D. Sanders has said he thinks the steelers can go to the SB, and that's if Ben is healthy. It really means nothing who thinks what though; the fact is, is that's it's hard as heck to get to, and then win a SB; our franchise has done it 6 times. We all expect the best, because we're advid fans of a "always near the top" team. Look at how good the Ravens have been for quite a few years, yet they've only got 1 SB appearance. Our team is just not as strong this year, and has looked out of character on and off. Whether we have starters or subs in the game; we've got to cure our red zone ills. Last game we were in the red zone 4 times, and only came away with one TD. I have never seen a steeler team so un-efficient in the RZ. TD's change games, and not FG's. If we drive down field, and put 2 TD's up on Denver in the first quarter; we can play our own game plan from there on out.

FanSince72
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
He's moving around okay, not as good as he was, but okay."

Not as good as he was...WHEN?

Like when he played last week?
Yeah, Ben was a regular Fred Astaire last week.

So let's see... if he's not as good as he was against Cleveland that makes him, what?
A sitting duck? Dead in the water? Listing heavily to Port?

Two words: Charlie Batch.

stb_steeler
01-05-2012, 07:54 PM

When did my favorite offensive coordinator become the team spokesman for injury updates?:noidea:

STFU Bruce:mad:

WTF......Note to BA: Practice isnt the same as playing in a real game running for your life

ClosetSteelerFan
01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
OK, so we have more than our share of injuries..... I haven't heard any of our players offering to surrender..... so I don't think the fans should surrender either. Let's be positive about this, and let the game be decided by the players on the field.... where games are decided. I think it's more important show support for our team than to speculate about what might happen. I know that once our players don their uniforms, and enter the field of battle wearing the Black & Gold..... they will do their best to make our city proud.
What ever happens, happens. We can't expect more than that.

Now let's take care of some unfinished business this Sunday in Denver.

GO STEELERS!

Closet Steeler Fan

TroyP43
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Couldn't agree more with this post. Too much negativity. Trust in the D and know that Ben will make enough plays to gets us past Denver. Let's worry about the Ravens/Patriots later.

ClosetSteelerFan
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Allow me to quote from the guy they named the Super Bowl Trophy after.....
“….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.”
===> Vince Lombardi

I think everyone will agree that this guy knew something about winning.
I'm also sure everyone in the Steeler organization knows this as well.

Closet Steeler Fan

DanRooney
01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
He's officially ruled out for Sunday

StainlessStill
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Pouncey ruled OUT. Time to step up backups!!!!! Lets go Legursky.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12006/1201744-100.stm

ebsteelers
01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
read the first page and stainlesStill sounds more like SoftPudding the way he is getting all negative and upset about everyone getting hurt..

take it easy, playoffs is when unknowns come out of the woodwork and make it happen....

isnt it always sweeter to win when your the dog, no one gives you a chance to do anything this post season... roll with us or get rolled on

lets get ready to ****ing rock Sunday... then let the chips fall where they may

Fire Arians
01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
im not too concerned with pouncey out, as much as ben's ankle. if it's anywhere near as bad as it was at SF, it's not going to get better anytime soon.

TRH
01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Pouncey's going to be injury-plagued for his entire career.

Fire Arians
01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Pouncey's going to be injury-plagued for his entire career.

wouldn't say that just yet. i think there were a lot of injuries this year because people have been out of shape, not having a full training camp

on the bright side, legursky has always done well as a backup center. the thing that sucks is having kemo starting at LG, that prolly hurts more than pouncey just not playing

pete74
01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
read the first page and stainlesStill sounds more like SoftPudding the way he is getting all negative and upset about everyone getting hurt..

take it easy, playoffs is when unknowns come out of the woodwork and make it happen....

isnt it always sweeter to win when your the dog, no one gives you a chance to do anything this post season... roll with us or get rolled on

actually playoffs are the time for your best players to step up and play well. it seperates the good from the great

Fire Arians
01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
we got polamalu healthy in the playoffs for the first time in maybe since our last super bowl win, that has to count for something :)

Curtain_of_Steel
01-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Perhaps he shouldve stayed off it for 4 weeks as opposed to having "treatment" every day?

Hopefully Woodley walked to the buffet line today and didnt run and get winded, or he will be out too.

pete74
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
we got polamalu healthy in the playoffs for the first time in maybe since our last super bowl win, that has to count for something :)

semi-healthy. he has the calf injury that has been keeping him out of practise

nyuknyuk
01-06-2012, 04:33 PM
semi-healthy. he has the calf injury that has been keeping him out of practise

Oh? What calf? I'm thinking Tonya Harding here... :tt:

StainlessStill
01-06-2012, 05:08 PM

As I said, I'm fired up. Just being realistic of the concerns of our injuries. There's one thing to acknowledge how desperate we REALLY are at key positions VERSUS optimism in the injuries themselves. Like I said, we got enough veteran leadership on this team to win games but you'd be a straight up liar if you're not concerned about our minute to minute injury report.

You're either a homer or a being "negative." I call it being objective.