PDA

View Full Version : Patriots...America's Team??????

bigbensgirl7
05-29-2005, 12:49 PM
I read in another Steelers MB where there are a ton of Patsy fans talking about how they are "Americas Team" and thought it would be perfect to bring into the BF...but HW might need some friends to help him out here.
1st off, I though Dallas was the so called "America's Team" not the little Pansie Pats. Where do their fans get off, naming themselves that. Yah their name is the Patriots...woohoo!!! I do recall the real America's Team stadium getting taken over by the black and gold...I can remeber this happening in Jacksonville also. Actually everywhere the Steelers go, their fans follow. The home team always seems to be complaining that there are so many Steeler fans in their house. Now do you ever watch the Pats away and see many Pats fans there...I sure don't! This is even after 2 SBs and another one possibly on the way. I'm sorry, but to me that's a little pathetic, and defiantely does not earn them the title of "America's Team"!!! :boxing:

BB2W
05-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Steelers definately have a huge fanbase.......and it is a well known fact that we show up to away games. While most of Dallas fans are probabaly located in Texas, and Patriot fans are most likely in the New England states.......Steelers fans are everywhere, especially in Ohio. I go to the Bengals game in Cincy every year. It feels like it is 60% Steelers fans. I remember when the Bengals never sold-out, but it would be packed when Pittsburgh came to town.

I think that most of the Patriot following are really non-football people who just started liking the Pats because they are winning. Patriot fans are coming out of woodwork, and there is no way they supported there team for the last 20 years like we have. They are just band-wagon fans......., and massive dongs. Most of them are idiots and A-holes, you can never win a debate with them because they have no football knowlege and just keep repeating the word "dynasty" ..... Oh, they are all experts on Superbowls and dynasties now.

I think our large fanbase is because of the dynasty in the 70's, and in 20 to 30 years the world will be crawling with Patriot fans.

clevestinks
05-29-2005, 04:57 PM
I find it hard to beleive that anyone with any sort of knowledgs of the game and its fans, would think they would be Americas team. They are Red White and Blue, but thats where it ends. They have one of the smallest fan bases in the NFL. Hell the crappy browns have alot bigger fan base.

Another something that is overrated. The browns claim to have the largest fan base of any team. Truth is they have the largest single fan club. The brownies backers is all over. The Steelers have more fan but no One fan club, although the Steelers Express is large and in many states.

As President of the ohio Steelers I keep in email contact with clubs all over the country, Hawaii has 350+ members, Caves Creek AZ. 300+, North Texas 300+, these are actual members, so the fan base is probably 100 times that.

Ben No. 1 Jersey sold last year anywhere, Bettis No.4, Troy was 9th. Highest Pat, Ty Law, 19th. I don`t know who is Americas Team, But I know who isn`t.

Happy Memorial to all. Especially to the Veterans Past and Present. Even you Hardwork, Thank You for serving.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Thier colors are Red White & Blue and thier name is the Patriots.

This might sound insensitive,but my friend sees it ironic that after 9/11 all of a sudden the Patriots came out of nowhere to win the Super Bowl and now 3 of the last 4.He just finds it really odd,that after the huge national tragedy a team called the Patriots come out of nowhere to win the Super Bowl.

And like you all said,Patriot fans are coming out of the woodwork...all of a sudden where no Patriot fans existed,now everywhere is swarming with Pats fans.They couldn't even sell out thier stadium before they won the Super Bowl.Nobody in the NE states cared about the Pats until they began winning.When they go back to losing,the NE states will go abck to not caring about the Patriots...along with the rest of the country.

Prosdo
05-29-2005, 06:30 PM
I just can't see people calling them America's team. "America's team" is backed by mostly not all but mostly band wagon fans. They stick with the team when they are winning. If they start losing you won't see them around. It's like a lot of people and the New York Yankees. Yes, there are some very legit fans, but ALOT of band wagon fans in the past. Should people really be calling the Patriots "America's Team" when they are backed by people who don't stick with it. My opinion, absolutely not.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Pat fans are bandwagon jumpers.. you never heard a thing about them till about 5 years ago.. and then out of the wood work they come. Oh the pats this and the pats that. The only place u see huge followings of pats fans is in the northeast.. they dont travel well, and they never take over an opposing teams stadium like WE do! Nobody takes over a venue like the black n gold fans!!!! There's no denying that.

Americas team my ass... and just when I thought we heard the last of Dallas trying to hold onto this title !!! :boxing:

bigbensgirl7
05-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Thier colors are Red White & Blue and thier name is the Patriots.

This might sound insensitive,but my friend sees it ironic that after 9/11 all of a sudden the Patriots came out of nowhere to win the Super Bowl and now 3 of the last 4.He just finds it really odd,that after the huge national tragedy a team called the Patriots come out of nowhere to win the Super Bowl.

Yah, it is pretty ironic. esp. when you consider stuff like the tuck rule coming into effect. That is on the list of one of the most controversial calls and well of course it went in favor of the Pats. I don't know, but it is wierd. The funny thing is, the Pats this year said we shouldn't even be playing them because of the 2 missed FG. Well my theory on that is, 1st-the refs didn't give us the game, 2nd- the Jets did nothing to make it easier on Brien to kick in one of the hardest stadiums in the NFL. I'm not saying luck was on side...but the refs didn't hand us! But oh well, let them enjoy it now...because their done!!!

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Yah, it is pretty ironic. esp. when you consider stuff like the tuck rule coming into effect. That is on the list of one of the most controversial calls and well of course it went in favor of the Pats. I don't know, but it is wierd. The funny thing is, the Pats this year said we shouldn't even be playing them because of the 2 missed FG. Well my theory on that is, 1st-the refs didn't give us the game, 2nd- the Jets did nothing to make it easier on Brien to kick in one of the hardest stadiums in the NFL. I'm not saying luck was on side...but the refs didn't hand us! But oh well, let them enjoy it now...because their done!!!

THANK YOU.That's what I have been trying to tell my friend Artina (she's a Patriots fan).

When the Phins beat the Pats on MNF,I called her cell phone and just laughed.I also managed to get in an "I guess Brady ISN'T perfect".

She had it coming.

Steelersfan
05-30-2005, 11:28 AM
The Patriots aren't even New England's Team! There are more fans of other teams up here than Patriot fans.

bigbensgirl7
05-30-2005, 12:12 PM
THANK YOU.That's what I have been trying to tell my friend Artina (she's a Patriots fan).

When the Phins beat the Pats on MNF,I called her cell phone and just laughed.I also managed to get in an "I guess Brady ISN'T perfect".

She had it coming.

Yah...before the fins game (ofcourse we didn't expect it to really happen)...I guess my dad said he would run to the mailbox and back naked. And accoriding to my brother he did...Thank god I don't live there anymore!!!!!!!!! SCARY!!!!!!!!!!

ironcitychef
05-30-2005, 12:47 PM
I think world wide the Steelers are champs. We represent everywhere. As for America, I did a test...

went to google and searched "america's team NFL" and surprise Dallas still comes up more times than not. Since they have 5 SB wins and more appearances, I can live giving them this title. Not to say we are not going to gain on them this year!

As for New England, I don't think they were in contention. I think the biggest reason is America loves personality. Dallas was big cause of Dorsett, Staubach, Aikman, Irvin, Smith, etc. We have a big fan base cause of Lambert, Greene, Bradshaw, etc. The pats while they have embraced the "team" concept, don't do enough to have America embrace them. Think of it like a party. If you could party with the Steelers of the 70's, Cowboys of the 90's or Pats of now, who would you pick? The first two are way more interesting than the Pats. I know thats how they like it, but it will cost them from being Americas team. HW i assume this is okay as long as you all keep winning. I don't really care, just pointing out America like bold and the Pats come up short. Nothing personal. Just stating the facts.

hardwork
05-30-2005, 09:07 PM
You can take "America's Team", and Dynasty, and HOF players, and perennial Pro Bowlers, and stick 'em all where the sun don't shine. We could care less.

Football is about overcoming adversity. Football is about taking everything the other team has, turning it all around, and winning. The more super stars you got, the better we like it. The more big shot history your franchise has, the more we want to kick your a$$.

Keep running your mouths off. Keep posting pictures of big ben with a Super Bowl ring. Keep showing your ignorence. We love it. We live for it. And we win with it.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-30-2005, 09:29 PM
So what your implying is that there is no hype surrounding brady.. no mulitple pics all over the media, no hyping him as a HOF QB.. :blah: yeah ok, whatever!

hardwork
05-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I didn't mention Brady. I didn't mention the media. So what the hell are you talking?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Keep running your mouths off. Keep posting pictures of big ben with a Super Bowl ring. Keep showing your ignorence. We love it. We live for it. And we win with it.

I was simply replying to that statement.. ur making it sound like nobody ever toughts the pats as a great team and heaps all kinds of praise on brady, and bellicheck and company.. Yeah we can praise ben all we want, he's done a great job in the little time he's been so far.. so eat that up and WE WILL WIN IT !

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2005, 11:23 PM

By the way,it's ignorance,you bafoon.

And don't act like Patriot fans don't run thier mouth.Don't act like nobody says Brady is the best QB ever (ha,that's debatable).Don't act like the Patriots dynasty hasn't been considered the best in history.

Bellicheck has been announced a genius,people are comparing him to Vince Lombardi...some say he's better than Lombardi.

All Championship runs end,and yours is up.It's someone else's time.May not be the Steelers,but it isn't yours.

hardwork
05-30-2005, 11:24 PM
I still don't see anything about the media, or Brady. And it's you people in here who are putting up pics of Rothlessburgher with a ring, not the press. I've never seen such BS out of a group of fans that root for a team that hasn't done anything. When all is said and done you might as well have been 1 and 15 last year. In fact you'd have been better off. You would have gotten a better draft pick.

hardwork
05-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Yesterday Michael Felger of the Boston Herald asked Corey Dillon: "What does that (one Super Bowl) mean?"

Corey Dillon: "That doesn't mean anything right now. ..................................... If you're wondering if I'm still hungry, don't even bother. I'm hungry. I'm thirsty,''

We're still hungry. We're still thirsty. We need more. We're gonna get more. And if your team gets in the way, call for an ambulance. Better yet, call for 5 or 6 of 'em. You're gonna need 'em.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2005, 12:15 AM
I still don't see anything about the media, or Brady. And it's you people in here who are putting up pics of Rothlessburgher with a ring, not the press. I've never seen such BS out of a group of fans that root for a team that hasn't done anything. When all is said and done you might as well have been 1 and 15 last year. In fact you'd have been better off. You would have gotten a better draft pick.

You must be smokin some good ganja my friend to think that we the fans are the only ones heaping praise on big ben. have you watched ESPN or the NFL network lately.. Ben is all the rage and rightfully so.. but dont think for 1 second that the media and the pats fans dont sing the praises of brady and company every chance they get. gimme a break!

when all is said and done, we are still 1-1 last year against you, we still went 15-1 in the regular season, the ONLY afc to ever do that, we still have the rookie of the year, the number defense and the #1 running game. so dont go thinking we have nothing to look forward too.

yes we didnt win the big dance, but for a rookie QB to come in like he did in the 2nd game of the season, thats pretty damn good too! :boxing:

hardwork
05-31-2005, 12:25 AM
"have you watched ESPN or the NFL network lately.. Ben is all the rage and rightfully so."

Good. Suck it up, we love it.

Remember, we're all finished. We were just lucky anyway (tuck rule). Everybody let us win because we are called The Patriots. Brady isn't even one of the best QBs in the league. You people said all of that, and more.

Keep it going. I'm eating it up.

ironcitychef
05-31-2005, 02:06 AM
Oh, don't get me started...

1) 'I read in another Steelers MB where there are a ton of Patsy fans talking about how they are "Americas Team"'

This whole thread was started to discuss NE fans claiming they are America's team. If you are a NE fan and I'm not naming names, you have a couple options. Deny you are America's team(notes personally denied Steelers are America's team in prior post re: Dallas), agree and say NE is America's team then back it up with facts(notes this is the rule of the thread), or last agree or disagree with America's team statement, then spend your time in a worthwhile manner by convincing your own fans on your own board! I hate to say it but you have done none of the three. You post as if you are America's team, you have no facts showing NE fan base or any relevant stats, and you are trying to bash us for discussing something started by NE flamers on other boards. Don't get mad at us, get mad at your fans and their stupid posts. Why are you getting so mad if none of this matters? Which brings me to...

2) Corey Dillon: "That doesn't mean anything right now. ..................................... If you're wondering if I'm still hungry, don't even bother. I'm hungry. I'm thirsty,''

Wow. I'm impressed. Going by this, you must have been able to drink an ocean, and eat a continent when you were with the Bengals. Don't lie. It does matter. If it didn't then why not stay with the Bengals?

3) You make tons of statements about a QB that that wasn't tops in his class but shows signs of brillance. Funny, isn't that how you won your three Super Bowls? Kinda ironic you mock us for the same reason you throw accolades at your team.

Sorry, tried to keep it factual before but posts deserved an answer. Hope I represented Steelers fans on this.

bigbensgirl7
05-31-2005, 09:56 AM
You can take "America's Team", and Dynasty, and HOF players, and perennial Pro Bowlers, and stick 'em all where the sun don't shine. We could care less.

Football is about overcoming adversity. Football is about taking everything the other team has, turning it all around, and winning. The more super stars you got, the better we like it. The more big shot history your franchise has, the more we want to kick your a$$.

Alright 1st off, you keep saying we, we, we...so what position do you play, because remember in a previous thread you claim that the fans and the city did NOT win anything, and that it's only the present organization that won anything...and supposedly you guys are smart enough to know it wasn't you...it was the team...so why WE WE WE????

Next...please tell me where you see pics of Ben and a SB ring??? If you are talking about my sig, you obviously haven'y seen the rings...they are a little more elaborate than that ring. That is a basic team ring that you can get for any team. I guess the earings on my sig are the new SB earings too, HUH????

RoethlisBURGHer
05-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Sorry, tried to keep it factual before but posts deserved an answer. Hope I represented Steelers fans on this.

I think you did a good job.

hardwork
05-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Things must be slow in Pittsburgh if all you got to do is make up a story, and then defend it.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-31-2005, 12:22 PM
Things must be slow in Pittsburgh if all you got to do is make up a story, and then defend it.

ICC,please link us to the thread where the Patriots are referred to as "America's Team".

clevestinks
05-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Hardwork! Regardless of whether or not the story was fabricated, cause I really have no idea! Nice and politley, tell us how you feel. I`m curious how do you feel about your fans? Not the Pats, just the fans. Have you noticed a bunch of bandwagon jumpers? Do you feel you have one of the better or larger fan bases? To me Boston is a baseball town, but I really don`t know. I think anyone on this site that has ever had anything to do with Pittsburgh, knows that it is a football town. I grew up in P.A. , now live in Cleveland area. this town is a who ever is hot town, its really terrible. One thing I have noticed is that I don`t see many Pats jersey here, or in the urban areas where there is alot of football jerseys. I do see Celtics jerseys though.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
One thing I have noticed is that I don`t see many Pats jersey here, or in the urban areas where there is alot of football jerseys. I do see Celtics jerseys though.

That's because throwbacks are cool...and it's impossible to have a Patriots throwback when they have no history.

But HW,I have a question.When the Patriots don't win the Super Bowl,and another team (probally the Steelers) are hoisting the Lombardi in the air...will you stick around or vanish?It's nice having you around,talking smack sucks when there is nobody around to talk it to.Plus,for the msot part,you're a cool guy and pretty football smart.

bigbensgirl7
06-01-2005, 09:12 AM
ICC,please link us to the thread where the Patriots are referred to as "America's Team".
The "TROLLS" are all over the SteelersLive MB. There are thousands of posts... and you can go through them but here is one of them... all you have to do is search for the TROLLS and you will see some Patsie fans at their finest!!!
http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=49885&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
This thread I linked you too was started because the Pats fans were saying this in many other threads on this board. I don't have enough time to go through them all, but these kindof comments are all through that forum!

ironcitychef
06-01-2005, 12:12 PM
BBG7, thanks for the linkage. Anyway, If I saw someone from here post that the Steelers are America's team, I'd say you are crazy. I think we are in the top 5 from what I have seen traveling around, but I don't think we deserve the title. All i want is for fans to back up their take. Its a forum to talk about issues, not to get mad cause people are talking about them. I know its the Blast Furnace, but come on. Rule #1 make sure you clearly state where you think your team ranks when it comes to America's team title, then talk smack please.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-01-2005, 12:36 PM
BBG7 I JUST started posting there yesterday,and it runs rampant with Gaytriot trolls.Could this be because they have no real fan base (just a bunch of bandwagoners) therefore nobody wants to spend the money to create a message forum for the Patriots?

bigbensgirl7
06-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Yah...I go there a lot and read...but I don't post there, because there are so many negative posts in there. However, I've been reading it for years. Let's see...never a Pats fan before their 1st...then little by little with every win against the Steelers...they keep posting. When we beat the Pats in the beginning of the year...they were all there before the game talking mad sh** and after there wasn't a Pats fan in sight...yah I say bandwagoners!!!! It gets to be pretty fun during the season...because that's where all the trolls surface. They come out in full force to talk their smack before the game (ESP. the Ratbirds)

hardwork
06-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Look, I don't pay any attention to stuff like "America's Team", or this "dynasty" junk. I've said over and over in here, football is about solving problems. All that other stuff is just bar-room banter.

Our fans? This is historically a hockey, and baseball town. But the Patriots are catching on big time. This owner caters to the fans, because he knows there will be lean times. As long as we have good ownership the fans will support the team. Furthermore, no one around here is going to forget what this team has done over the past 4 years. Believe me.

Prosdo
06-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, but a lot of them weren't around UNTIL they started winning. Of course they won't forget the four years. But when the Patriots start losing you will definitely see how many fans were band wagon ones. I'm not saying you are hardwork by any means. I don't personally know you to be able to say that about you. Just a lot of Patriot fans aggravate me because if you ask most about something really simple about the Patriots before the Super Bowl wins they have no clue. Those kind of fans in general aggravate me to be honest. Band wagon fans and fair weather fans just are not to my liking. The true loyal fans of course will stay around.

hardwork
06-01-2005, 03:30 PM
You know, it's not the fans fault. We had an owner, Sullivan, who paid $25,000 for the team way back when the Patriots started. He never had any money, and he had no idea what he was doing. He tried to build a stadium in Boston, but he had neither the support, or the cash. So, he changed the name of the team from the Boston Patriots, to the New England Patriots, and dug a hole in Foxborough, pored cement in it, and that was that. I mean this team had no identity, they weren't very good, and Boston had the Red Sox, the great Celtic teams, and the Bobby Orr Bruins at the time.
See? So ease off, this is really the birth of this team right now.

Prosdo
06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I understand that. I'm talking about people who just like them because they are winning. It disgusts me. I understand people who truly have an interest in the team. What I am saying is I have dealt with a lot of Patriots fans who talk so much shit but in actuality don't know shit. Not saying anything bad about you or true fans of the team.

hardwork
06-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Sure, you gonna get that. Look at the Red Sox last year. All of sudden every politican wanted to be seen at Fenway Park. But, no one is more loyal then the real Red Sox's fans.

Prosdo
06-01-2005, 03:57 PM
I have a lot of respect for the Red Sox fans. Never said I didn't. To stay loyal through that stuff that shows true fans. I actually wanted the Red Soxs to win because of their loyal fans. So its not like I have a problem with Boston or its fans. Its just the fans who are just there because of winning. Like the New York Yankees. They have loyal fans, there were a lot of band wagon fans though. Its the band wagon fans I have a problem with not the true fans or the locals.

hardwork
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
If the Patriots had remained the Boston Patriots, and built their own stadium downtown, we wouldn't be having this conversation. They would have drawn loyal fans just like the Red Sox do.

I'll tell you, it was so bad for awhile in Foxborough that I couldn't take my wife to the games. The parking lot was full of drunken bums who came to the games just to get smashed and be asses. People stopped taking their families altogether. Now, however, it is a family affair.

Prosdo
06-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Well its nice to know that aspect has changed. I have no problem with loyal fans as I said. Its the ones who are total nonsense. If you are a fan great, but if you are only a fan because they are winning those are the fans I hate.

bigbensgirl7
06-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Furthermore, no one around here is going to forget what this team has done over the past 4 years. Believe me.
Well now your being hypocritical...because you are saying you won't ever forget what the Pats have done in these past yrs...but your telling us to forget what the Steelers of the 70s accomplished, which is still considered to most as the best dynasty EVER!!! What happens if the Pats don't win another Championship for 20+ yrs? Are you still going to remember these yrs, and be proud that you are a Pats fan???

clevestinks
06-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Just curious ! Thanks for the honesty! Every team has thier bandwagoners. Its reall irratating when someone doesn`t know squat about football, but run thier mouths just to here themselves talk. Its amazing what good ownership does. I myself don`t believe there is an answer to who is Americas team. I do think the NFL is taking over as Americas favorite past time.And thank God for rivalries, or this would not be as much fun. Hardwork is a Pats fan, not good here! But at least he is not a dumb football fan.

hardwork
06-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Bensgirl

Not forgetting what they've done is one thing. Pretending that has some bearing on a future team is another. Can you follow that? It isn't brain surgery. For example, no one around here, who's old enough, will forget what the Celtics did in winning 11 championships almost in a row, but that doesn't speak for the team they have now. Todays players have to do their own thing. They have to do their own winning.

clevestinks
06-01-2005, 06:22 PM
The old , "what have you done for me lately" Celtics run was one of the best ever. Yankees of the 50`s and UCLA BB of the 60`s Steelers of the 70`s

bigbensgirl7
06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Bensgirl

Not forgetting what they've done is one thing. Pretending that has some bearing on a future team is another. Can you follow that? It isn't brain surgery. For example, no one around here, who's old enough, will forget what the Celtics did in winning 11 championships almost in a row, but that doesn't speak for the team they have now. Todays players have to do their own thing. They have to do their own winning.

1st off...don't talk to me like I'm a moron...NO ONE said that what the Steelers of the 70s did will reflect what the Steelers do now. But Pittsburgh and the Steelers do have 4 Lombardi Trophies to show for that time, and you have discredited their success during that era many times. Do we want a 5th? HELL YEAH!! Are we aware of who our current players and coaches are? DUH!! And do I think Cowher and the current team can bring home that trophy? YES I DO!!! Finally, am I proud of the current Steelers and the Steelers from our past even though we don't have much to show for the past 25 yrs.? YOU BET YOUR ASS I AM...I LOVE THE STEELERS AND WILL SHOW MY PRIDE THROUGH GOOD TIMES AND BAD!!!

hardwork
06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
"1st off...don't talk to me like I'm a moron.."

Lol, I take it you didn't like the brain surgery comment? This is the blast furance you know. :)

bigbensgirl7
06-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Oh I know...and I don't take anything personally (esp. from you or anyone that doesn't know me)...I'm just saying I'm not an idiot, and I do know how to read and understand what is being said!!! AND I LOVE THE BF, that's what it's all about-so don't worry, I could care less what you think of me and/or say to me!

ironcitychef
06-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Want to put this on track. Just wanted to discuss who is America's team. I still say if you ask 100 people on the street(outside of Penn Ave. & 18th Street) they will still say Dallas. Pittsburgh is top 5, and NE to me is just a niche team. Just wanted to bust the myth that NE is America's team as stated in an outside thread. No harm, No fouls.

As a side note...this is a pretty respectable forum. If you are asked a question, don't beat around the bush. Just answer it. Don't give us oh I'm not interested, then post seventy times. Its the Blast Furnace. Have an opinion(right or wrong) and don't be afraid to post it. We have a great track record of dropping the gloves outside this thread, so don't be afraid to put on the gloves and hit the bag once or twice while in this thread. We'll actually probably give you some rep points. If you disagree then kindly stay out of this thread cause you don't get the purpose. Steelersfever has some of the most football minded members I've seen and we can smell :poop: when we see it posted.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-01-2005, 10:27 PM
how in the hell did we get on the celtics, I thought this was football ? yeah its the blast furnace !!! :D

I did an informal poll today of 20 people at work 15 guys and 5 women. none of whom watch any football w/ regularity except for the SB.. I asked them who americas team was. 10 of them said the cowboys, cuz thats what they heard.. 2 of them said the raiders, 4 of them said the Steelers and the other 3 didnt know.

ironcitychef
06-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Thank you. Now we are getting somewhere. At least we are ahead of the Raiders.

hardwork
06-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Who's america's football team, are you shi**** me?

These are America's teams:

The United States Marine Corps

The 75th Rangers

The Special Forces

The Navy Seals

The fighter pilots who land at night, on pitching decks, out in the middle of the ocean.

The doctors and nurses who care for our wounded as their medi-flights land in Germany, or at Andrews Air Force base.

Forget all this who is America's football team, it's BS.

ironcitychef
06-02-2005, 12:25 AM
I actually tried to take some rep away from you for refusing to just give a simple opinion on "our" board about who you thought is America's team. Sadly I was unable to cause I was stupid enough to give you one rep point for posting something that looked like an opinion when you stammered to type that NE was only growing as a franchise and team. We are just talking sports dude! Don't cut to cheap shots of inserting our armed forces into the board. If I asked you who our sports heros are would you fly off the handle and remind us that enlisted men and women are our heros? And how dare you rank the Marines above the law enforcement officers that protect us on our own soil! See, even your post has flaws! Its time you start admitting to your own flaws and start posting sensible, honest crap instead of that "holier than thou" stuff as of late.

Sorry to get so upset, but its only a question man. "Who do you think is America's team?" Plain and simple. You could say the Cardinals and we wouldn't care. But to throw the military at us like we don't respect and appreciate what they do on a daily basis is crap and well below you my friend.

hardwork
06-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Chef, you're a waste of time.

hardwork
06-02-2005, 01:10 AM
"I myself don`t believe there is an answer to who is Americas team. I do think the NFL is taking over as Americas favorite past time.And thank God for rivalries, or this would not be as much fun"

I agree with all that. Look, I'm not here because I hate the Steelers. I'm here because you are the team we have to beat. Simple as that. You are our biggest rival. We know, trust me, how dangerous you could become. You may not like me in here, but I'm not stupid. I know who's good and who isn't.

ironcitychef
06-02-2005, 01:50 AM
Chef, you're a waste of time.

You really are a bandwagon fan aren't you? Quit making it personal. If I asked a simple question like what is the most popular flavor of livesavers you would be so afraid to make a stand you come up with some on the fence post of "well there are many people and many flavors so none is actually the most poplular":blah: You are so afraid of stating your opinion cause you know we will catch you double dipping and sitting on the fence. Conitinue to post Ben is awful QB but one heck of a QB, that the Steelers suck but we are your biggest rival, and history doesn't count but we won three of four.

You know my friends are not perfect. But I know who they are, what they stand for, and I can always count on their 'honest' opinion. Most of the people here I have agreed with and disagreed with, but at least they gave it to me straight. You keep posting your cliches while taking pot shots and hiding behind "you're a bunch of Steelers fans bashing the minority".

What do you do with your buddies at the corner bar when the game is on? "Hey Hardwork, if we win again next year I believe we could become America's team" Ahem..."I myself don`t believe there is an answer to who is Americas team. I do think the NFL is taking over as Americas favorite past time.And thank God for rivalries, or this would not be as much fun" Yeah that comeback goes over well with the Boston fans. You either go "Hell yeah" or "Well we'll be up there"

We try to treat you as one of us, but you still look down on us don't you?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-02-2005, 02:55 AM
"I myself don`t believe there is an answer to who is Americas team. I do think the NFL is taking over as Americas favorite past time.And thank God for rivalries, or this would not be as much fun"

I agree with all that. Look, I'm not here because I hate the Steelers. I'm here because you are the team we have to beat. Simple as that. You are our biggest rival. We know, trust me, how dangerous you could become. You may not like me in here, but I'm not stupid. I know who's good and who isn't.

awe now comon, you know you hate the black n gold.. even just alittle bit.. cuz we're ur worst nightmare.. the colts have no defense and are too finesse, the chargers are stilla couple years away from being a serious contender in the post season.. so its us against you again.

I can say I hate the pats.. not on the same level as I hate the ratbirds or clowns, but my distaine for the pats (even though I respect what they have accomplished) is quite high.

bigbensgirl7
06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
In all honesty...I don't thing there should be a label on one team as "America's team"! This is the National Football League. I believe The Steelers are Pittsburgh's and their fans team. The Cowboys are Dallas' team, and so on. But if someone were to come up to me and ask...I would probably say Dallas just because of the title given to them yrs. ago. I love the Steelers, but I don't want them to be America's Team, I want them to be my team, and the rest of the die hard Steelers fans!

Blitz wrote: "I did an informal poll today of 20 people at work 15 guys and 5 women. none of whom watch any football w/ regularity except for the SB.. I asked them who americas team was. 10 of them said the cowboys, cuz thats what they heard.. 2 of them said the raiders, 4 of them said the Steelers and the other 3 didnt know." - I think that's a pretty accurate poll you did, because I think even if you increase the # of people asked...you would still get close to the same results...and like I said...I'm fine with not being labeled "America's Team"!!! :)

clevestinks
06-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I would think the NFL wouldn`t want Americas team either. Maybe it should be the brownies though? You know they started from the bottom, like many Americans have to. Fought hard ? Oh may be not, there still on the bottom. Must have been thinking of some one else.

Browns Suck!
And Cleve Stinks! :cool:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-02-2005, 09:15 PM
When you think about it, there is no more americas team..there's so much parity in the league, nobody is THAT much better than anyone else.

ironcitychef
06-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I understand all that. I just reason that statistically someone is the favorite team, and since I hadn't heard anyone mention it since Dallas in the 70-80's I thought it was valid enough to bring up for guesses and discussion. While your poll and my search, and our guts tell us Dallas would still be the answer, I find it funny that while some would say there is no clear cut winner, they also wouldn't mind if their team was given the title at the same time. I felt it was like when you ask athletes if its important to win the big game. The smile and just say they are happy for the success they had that season and what happens, happens. Yeah you don't hurt anyone's feelings, but you are not speaking the whole truth. I give athletes a huge amount of respect for those moments when reason slips and they let the media know how much validation means to them. It beats seeing emotionless cliches after every game. :twocents:

Would America's team mean anything different if the NFL keeps expanding playing locations world wide? Is it beneficial to market a Browns, Cardinals, or Texans team instead of Cowboys, Steelers, or even yes, the Patriots? I'm thinking the NFL does want a team to have large scale like-ability after watching NFL Europe. Seems like all those teams over there are hodge-podge. Good then bad year in, year out. Going back to the older dynasties, it was a plus cause then you had the fans of a consistent winning team and then a huge following that just wanted to see them lose. It kept a new fan base more interested than a ever changing pool of mediocrity. Guess we'll see...:coffee:

hardwork
06-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Yeah, one day we'll see the Super Bowl winning QB break down and say, sniff~Does this mean~~sniff~sniff~~that we're America's Team? waaaaaaa~~sniff~~sniff

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Very good insight chef !! nice post!

ironcitychef
06-04-2005, 12:57 AM
You know HW, you reallly should understand that fans are not so different.

Terry Bradshaw had a huge chip on his shoulder. He was a #1 pick and wanted to prove to everyone that if you could you actually pick someone before the #1 slot Terry would have been qualified for that slot as well. Now for Brady, I think he also has a chip on his shoulder as well. To be drafted so low and have no one think you could do it, and then go out and prove them wrong is great, but his is a different chip. Terry could mouth off whenever, wherever and the press and fans thought he was colorful. Tom plays in today's NFL where you just stick to the company line and hope your socks are not too low and get fined $1000. So its not about Tom saying, "'sniff sniff' we are America's team", but instead Tom saying "I told you we could be America's team". I just don't want the line between confidence and cockiness to be so blurred in the pro sports world. There is nothing wrong with saying "we are the team to beat". The last time I saw it was with Jordan and the Bulls. Jordan was great. He said the company lines, but then he would end it by telling the cavs that if you leave me open in the final minute I'm going to hit the shot. Nothing wrong with that. Its better than Chad Johnson being 4 games under .500 and guarantee a victory. I think if you walk the walk as often as the Bulls and yes, the Pats have done, you should be able to talk the talk every now and then.

Also, I am a Pirates fan over and over. I might never see them win a series again, but even I after watching 'Nine Innings from Ground Zero', can understand that sometimes having an "America's Team", no matter who they are, is actually a positive, productive thing.

ironcitychef
06-04-2005, 01:05 AM
On the other side...(man I'm all over the place tonight)

I might start pushing for NE to be America's team because then it might end that stupid line of "Nobody thought we could do it", "Nobody gave us a chance". Yeah right, you win three of four and about 11-12 games a year. No one saw you coming...:rolleyes:

hardwork
06-04-2005, 03:04 PM
What the hell is America's Team anyway? What does that mean? Sounds like a bunch of phony hype to me.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2005, 06:55 PM
:iagree: :iagree:

America's team is what you make it, whatever you feel the criteria is. And everybody's is different.

ironcitychef
06-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Yeah, we never talk about "phony hype issues" in any of these threads. [Notes going to go post a few comments on the Winslow:good or bad thread, and the Chance of NO 2005 season????? thread]

I'm not sure there is an America's team definition right now, I guess I'm the only one willing to discuss it. But if you want to "talk" about what criteria would make an America's team, you might want to move it to the regular forums to promote more civil posts. Didn't know this would "upset" so many by the posibility of labeling a team "America's". I thought it couldn't be worse than labeling one 'the team of the 70's'. Guess I might be wrong. And if you are keeping score, that makes quite a few times that has happened in these forums.

clevestinks
06-05-2005, 08:14 AM
What the hell is America's Team anyway? What does that mean? Sounds like a bunch of phony hype to me.

I do agree here! In this day and age, with the sell of NFL jerseys, and hats. there is a million front runners out there. So you would think that the Pats would be Americas team. If there were usch a thing. But for some reason the youth today like the bad guys, this is why Raiders gear sell so well, and why Ray Lewis jerseys sell so well. Brady is the total opposite of this, I think if he had a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, and or a little bit of a risk taker, tough guy image. He would sell better, and this would sell the Pats better. But who wants another Raiders or Ravens team? Just my two cents.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Americas team is sum'd up by marketing, wins and losses, cinderella or feel good stories about players who defied the odds to make their dreams come true, about a coach would nobody said could do the job and he did it, about a city, passionate about football, but has had losers take the field year in and year out and finally the right combination of players and coaches comes along and it all clicks.

Yes? No ?

ironcitychef
06-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Awesome stuff. Two different sides. One kinda feel good and the other a bad boy image. Thanks for posting even though you don't really care. Just think its interesting since I used to think of Dallas as being consistently winners, that now so much other stuff has found its way into today's definition. We're in trouble if the Raiders or the Ravens become the standard though.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2005, 11:22 AM
You kinda got me reinterested in this thread now chef :D .. Bad boy images create a lasting impression w/the public.... not so much that they would ever become an americas team, however, enough that if you mention the NFL to a novice or someone who knows nothing about the sport.. the first things to come into their mind are all the bad things players have done to get into trouble.. drugs, murder, DUI, etc... so in a sense, they actually become somewhat of an americas team.

hardwork
06-22-2005, 04:13 AM
Who's America's team? Whoever the hell Chef says it is.

bengalsfan21
06-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Who's America's team? Whoever the hell Chef says it is.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

clevestinks
06-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Bengals Fan I take it that your a Pats hater? Why? They are definitlely not your rival!

bengalsfan21
06-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Bengals Fan I take it that your a Pats hater? Why? They are definitlely not your rival!

I think they are overrated...I got more love for steelers and brownies

BDDFC
06-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Tired of the Pats. Their fans are starting to get on nerves.

Go_Cats
06-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Their fans are like rikishi's ass, and they seem to always put it in your face

BlitzburghRockCity
06-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Tired of the Pats. Their fans are starting to get on nerves.

My hangup w/ the Pats fan.. and I'll exclude hardwork from this since he seems to be an avid follower of his team... is that simply... where were they right up until about 5 years ago... u couldnt find a pats fan anywhere, now they come out of the woodwork!!

Prosdo
06-24-2005, 02:42 AM
My hangup w/ the Pats fan.. and I'll exclude hardwork from this since he seems to be an avid follower of his team... is that simply... where were they right up until about 5 years ago... u couldnt find a pats fan anywhere, now they come out of the woodwork!!

Same thing here Blitz. Hardwork knows his team though. So you are right he is definitely excluded from this. I talked to a few Patriots fans last season. And well lets say they wore all the Patriots gear and talked about how good their Patriots were. When I asked them some basic questions about their team they kind of got irritated and changed the subject. Not a fan of bandwagoners. Loyal fans even if Patriots fans are cool. Bandwagon fans ohhh how I hate them lol

hardwork
06-24-2005, 04:00 AM
"where were they right up until about 5 years ago... u couldnt find a pats fan anywhere, now they come out of the woodwork!!"

You know I wrote a group of posts on this several weeks ago. Cleve asked me to be honest, so I was. I went through the history of the Patriots and their fans. There's a reason, several in fact, for this. But hey, if you don't care enough to read posts on the subject, then don't talk about what you don't know about.

hardwork
06-24-2005, 04:21 AM
"I think they are overrated...I got more love for steelers and brownies"

You know, how a team that has won 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls can be overrated is beyond me. I mean if they had just won the 2001 SB, ok. But they turned around and took 2 of the next 3 on top of 2001. That's not what an overrated team does. But hey, if you can't appreciate what they've accomplished both as a team, and as an organization, it's your loss, not theirs. I can tell you one thing. The front offices around the league know what they've done, and would give their eye teeth to be able to do the same thing.

bengalsfan21
06-24-2005, 11:01 AM

You know, how a team that has won 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls can be overrated is beyond me. I mean if they had just won the 2001 SB, ok. But they turned around and took 2 of the next 3 on top of 2001. That's not what an overrated team does. But hey, if you can't appreciate what they've accomplished both as a team, and as an organization, it's your loss, not theirs. I can tell you one thing. The front offices around the league know what they've done, and would give their eye teeth to be able to do the same thing.

My biggest problem with your team is your fans....it just gets me to blab random stuff, your team did great I can respect that....But do your "fans" have to be so stuck up about it...I was argueing with one the other day who says they should be held in the same category as the 49ers dynasty and Cowboys dynasty....I for one think NOT nobody will come close to that and you your self should know that.

clevestinks
06-24-2005, 03:49 PM

I do agree with HW here. As much as I hated to lose 2 AFC Championship games to them. You have to tip your hat to thier team. As far as a Bungles fan doubting any team being a dynasty. Bengals fan you have`nt earned the right to even talk about dynasty. Year after year you have one of the worst teams in the league. That means you get high draft picks, that means you suck. you all suck.

bigbensgirl7
06-24-2005, 03:59 PM
As much as I hate to admit it...I have to agree with HW also. Really right now, no one has earned the right to really say anything negative about what the Pats have accomplished over the last 4 years. However, on the same note...as far as most Pats fans...I don't think you guys have the right to start crap with every one around the NFL. In all so respect I think when it comes to the fans...you rank right there with the Bengal fans...FAIR WEATHER. and I think that's where everyone gets pissed. I have said it before and I will say it again. Even though I have very little respect for 90% of their fans, I have incredible respect for their team-they have walked a some what quite road to 3 SBs!

dropKickMurphy
07-01-2005, 05:11 PM
They couldn't even sell out thier stadium before they won the Super Bowl.

Never let the facts get in the way.

The Patriots have sold out every home game (pre-season, regular season, and post season) for 12 straight years.

The Patriots are #2 in NFL merchandise sales...behind the Eagles, ahead of the Steelers.

Patriots fans do show up in large numbers on the road. Yes, when we play a team that is sold out with season tickets (Jets, Steelers, etc) you won't see many Pats fans. Just like the last time the Steelers played at Gillette (2002), when no Steeler fans could be seen or heard.
However, there are always a huge number of Pats fans at the Miami game. Last year, there was a huge contingent that travelled to the Arizona game. If there are tickets to be had, Patriots fans will buy them, since there's a 50,000 name waiting list for season's tickets.

We don't claim the Patriots are "America's Team". Hell, if there's any such thing, it would be the Red Sox. They also sell out every home game, and their fans show up in huge numbers on the road. In many of the road series, such as Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Toronto, Detroit, Philly, the Sox fans were drowning out the home fans. I can guarantee that there is no fan base in all of sports that buys as many tickets to away games as Red Sox fans.

The vast majority of Patriots fans are Red Sox fans, and vice versa. It's been that way for many years. The difference between us and you is that we support all of our teams. Pittsburgh is a great football town, a lousy baseball town, and overall a mediocre sports town. Boston is the #1 baseball town, a very good football town, and arguably the best overall sports town in the nation.

Dirtywater
07-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Never let the facts get in the way.

The Patriots have sold out every home game (pre-season, regular season, and post season) for 12 straight years.

DKM, don't you know it's easier to just throw crap on the wall and see what sticks. :D
You know you own other teams when that's the worst they can say and it isn't even true.

clevestinks
07-01-2005, 09:16 PM
I don`t knock on them for not having fans. We do sometimes question how many loyal fans and for how long? I know in Pittsburgh our fans have been die hards for years and years! I undestand from Hardwork thank to previous bad owners you have had some lean times. And the fans didn`t stick with thePats. As far as NFL merchandise goes, the superbowl winner uually does come out on top. Big surprise there, Not.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey, now, I'd say our Home game sellouts arent too damn shabby either.. and you have to admit, there is NOBODY in the NFL that has fans travel as well as Steeler fans do. From Pittsburgh, to Florida, to Cali to Texas to Michigan..and all points in between and around the globe..if the Steelers are on the road, u can bank on a huge showing of terrible towels in the stands.

I also agree w/ cleve, I also question the loyalty of the fans in general. The diehards like you pats fans seem to be are all good..but all these ones just seaping out from the cracks in the ground just because you won championships is pretty :blah:

But hey, u guys are the defending champs so give u ur credit for sure !

ironcitychef
07-06-2005, 06:48 PM
I thought this thread would be dead by now, but since I haven't been here in awhile...

HW, its not who I say it is, just want you to give us some insight who you might think it could be since you don't think the title should exist. It wasn't hard for DKM to post an opinion. Even if you don't want to name a specific team, how bout just being a contirbuting member and helps us who want to talk about it create some updated criteria? Too much to ask I guess. Don't want to start up old stuff, just didn't want you to think I wasn't here anymore.

As for traveling and home games, I haven't gotten a call on the Steelers season ticket waiting list yet, so I think we are good in that department. And traveling, I think it is important that a fan base support your team on the road and home. Teams like GB, PIT, and the Boys always have had "visible" fans where I have cooked. I know I saw Brister jerseys, Stewart shirts, and other bad year players stuff in public. I never saw a Grogan jersey though. Just makes me think America's team should be loveable in good and bad which is why I can see the Sox being ahead of the Pats in Boston.

clevestinks
07-06-2005, 08:02 PM
IRONCITYCHEF is in the House!

I would travel to Boston or New York to see a Yankees / Sox game. I wouldn`t travel anywhere to see a Patss, Jets game!

hardwork
07-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Chef, long time no see.

America's team? Hmmmmmmmmmm This has to be a football team, right? A pro football team, right? Hmmmmmmmm

I just don't like the concept Chef. How can you pick one team? If I say the Patriots, who certainly have a leg up at this point in time, you're going to say the Steelers. And, of course, they should be considered if you're talking history of the game. I mean the NFL isn't about one team. It's about YOUR team. Would you just cook hambergers all day, Chef? No, you'd cook a little of this, and a little of that.

hardwork
07-08-2005, 12:36 AM
I should have at least 4 stars before the season starts. How many posts do I need to get another star after my name?

Prosdo
07-08-2005, 12:49 AM
400 makes you a starter

ironcitychef
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
thanks hw, not just burgers, but food wise its still apple pie dude! Nothing more american than that. And if its buried under the hundreds of other posts, I said Dallas still ranks up there for my choice of NFL America's team, not my Steelers. I just feel more people could identify on a national level with them cause of image opposed to us identifying with our Steelers cause of work ethic/style. Didn't want you to think I was biased all the time. I would not take away the Pats accomplishments, but Ithink they are like the St. Louis Cards. Very impressive, but so popular on a local level that they lose some national appeal. Could be the best team in America(and they are right now), but just not America's team. See my point?